• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

japanese tourney performance list.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
When can we expect the Europe tier list?

Also boo Meta Knight. Why did they have to make him so broken...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
They dont abuse the brokeness of characters which explains this. I wish i played brawl in japan.
Crazy talk, how would you know that there might be someone in Japan that play almost simmiler playing style to us? I know three people from Japan, and one out of those three play like we do.

Levitas

the moon
Viper, playing like we do doesn't mean having the same characters dominate tournaments/same composition of playstyles. Metagames can be vastly different, even with the same tools at the players' disposal.

Also, why don't I know you already. We live too close for me not to.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

The number is the slot difference between ankoku's list and the respective tier list.

Japanese list comparison on left, US list comparison on right.

The lower the number at the bottom, the more the tier list corresponds to the american tournament results, as of the last two months.

You'll note that Olimar, peach, and sonic seem to be the most out of place on the american side, while Pit, Fox, TL, DDD, Lucas, Wario, DK, Sonic, and most notably Peach seem to be the most out of place on the japanese side (I reiterate: when compared to american results).

Seems both sides have trouble placing Peach and Sonic to our results in particular. I blame Edrees entirely. Stop winning, Edrees. Peach isn't good. She shouldn't be winning. You're screwing everything up. So cut it out.

I'd compare the american tiers and japanese tiers directly, but I don't really care to. Also, if my numbers are off by 1 or 2, STFU, I don't want to hear it.

Edit: 1sec, I'll get that image working somehow.

Edit 2: Success!
Peach is good just so you know.
And Im with Mister E. First international game, and we'll win because we'll camp to to death an d CG.

dumba989

Smash Apprentice
There list is pretty strange, i mean, i can see why Ganondorf is at the bottom, but Luigi, and other characters in our Tier list are way too low. What standard to the **** go by anyway, anyone know?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit really does seem good up there, but even though I'm a Pit mainer, I think he should be lowered just one more due to his weaknesses, especially the "Get hit outta Up-B" thing. Metaknight is still as broken as ever like that's gonna change...

I do see that C. Falcon isnt the worst anymore.

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
ganondorf is not that bad, he may be close to bottom, but he definetly does not deserve a whole new tier for himself

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
1. Stop whining about the list. You have no say nor complete understanding of how it works since you're not part of the Japanese metagame.

2. 'They play aggressively.' To generalise a community to one play style is wrong. People play different, I mean seriously now... >_>

3. Also the video should be discarded, it's far to old and only shows two players. Hardly reliable.

4. This.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First things first. This tier list originated in the Ganondorf boards, posted by a japanese Ganondorf player.
Here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203264&page=2

Secondly, he was kind of joking about G-dorf. You'll see when I post the original list.

S:MetaKnight,Snake,Falco
A:R.O.B,Diddy,Marth,Pit,Fox
B:Mr. Game & Watch,Wolf,Toon Link
C:Ice Climbers,Olimar,Sheik,Zero Suit Samus,Pikachu,Lucario
D:Kirby,King Dedede,Mario,Lucas,Wario,Charizard
E:Zelda,Ike,Donkey Kong,Ness,Link,Luigi,Yoshi,Pokemon Trainer,Squirtle,Ivysaur
F:Sonic,Bowser,Samus,Captain Falcon,Jigglypuff,Peach
G:Ganondolf(GOD RANK)

****storm may die down a little now.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I believe he listed that when someone asked about the Japanese tier list.

He brought up the chara-ranking list which, if it's the same as the previous ones, is about tournament results, much like Ankoku's rankings.

ahahahaha

it's soo true.

he flies.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
here it is:

G:Ganondorf
No matter where you go, you just can't escape MK can you?

How can you ever say Pit>G&W? (altho i really think the boards overestimate g&w) but really? How do you even play Pit agressively?

Wolf right under g&w, god how i'd abuse the johns

and dedede that low?

i wanna play in japan, looks like itd be fairly easy to dominate there

the_real_toad

Smash Cadet
I assume aggressive Pit would be a lot of wingdashing and arrow loop combos. Also It's nice seeing Sheik that high, I know they play more aggressively but because they do, perhaps they've found better ways of killing than we have?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I assume aggressive Pit would be a lot of wingdashing and arrow loop combos. Also It's nice seeing Sheik that high, I know they play more aggressively but because they do, perhaps they've found better ways of killing than we have?
They save their kill moves until they get their opponent at a high enough percentage, they focus on the damage racking moves/throws a lot more

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Their methods are interesting, they don't attempt smashes and limit their kill attacks until they're at a high percentage, which I guess is one of the reasons why pit is high and peach is low.
You keep saying that, but Peach shouldn't be where she is if that's the case. Racking damage is a thing Peach is good at, and if they always save their KO moves up until high damages, then Peach has easy kills.

Also:
Where does this list come from? How come no one questioned it? It's as if a random person came and posted a WTF tier list and everyone believes him.
What if this is one of those "hehe my personell chara rank list o btw i main pit an fox- & peach sucks also lol ganon is fun 2 play wwwwww". You know, those are regular in here.

Tenki

Smash Hero
arghh i hate that video.

the diddy didn't banana, and the Sonic used B-air when it wasn't appropriate to.

Sonic vs Wario (hit the bottom right button on the video player to turn off text)
http://nicozon.blog64.fc2.com/?video_id=sm4984779

even though the Sonic was sloppy, he at least resembles and uses stuff like the moves that SWF Sonic mains use lol.

Where does this list come from? How come no one questioned it? It's as if a random person came and posted a WTF tier list and everyone believes him.
What if this is one of those "hehe my personell chara rank list o btw i main pit an fox- & peach sucks also lol ganon is fun 2 play wwwwww". You know, those are regular in here.
rihuganon (JP player?) came by Ganondorf boards and posted a bunch of Ganondorf/other vids.

If you saw the original thread, they were asking him about a JP tier list and he kinda didn't know what they were talking about, so after a vague description, he gave us this chara- ranking list (probably tourney results list, like Ankoku's list)

The reason noone questioned it is because brinboy posted it and said omgjapanesetierlist!!111

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First things first. This tier list originated in the Ganondorf boards, posted by a japanese Ganondorf player.

Secondly, he was kind of joking about G-dorf. You'll see when I post the original list.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Ah, if the one who posted it is Japanese then I believe it's fine. So, they haven't got a tier list (yet)? Do they only go by their character ranking?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just a friendly reminder

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

It is also most likely a CHARA-RANKING list (see Ankoku's Character Ranking thread in TBD).
A ranking of their placements in tournaments, but not necessarily a tier list

You'll note that Olimar, peach, and sonic seem to be the most out of place on the american side, while Pit, Fox, TL, DDD, Lucas, Wario, DK, Sonic, and most notably Peach seem to be the most out of place on the japanese side (I reiterate: when compared to american results).
So Sonic is out of place in both the JP and the SBR tier list?

lol.

Levitas

the moon
Careful, though. Sonic is only out of place in the JP list if we consider US tournament results, and SBR's list is supposed to reflect tournament "potential".

So pretty much, the SBR is saying anyone who is losing to sonic right now is just doing it wrong.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Careful, though. Sonic is only out of place in the JP list if we consider US tournament results, and SBR's list is supposed to reflect tournament "potential".

So pretty much, the SBR is saying anyone who is losing to sonic right now is just doing it wrong.
Or that our Sonic mains are just 2222 good.

Also, for the lulz, from the...
Official SBR Character Weekly Discussion on Sonic

^He's actually rather slow overall. He just has a very fast running speed. But that doesn't really make too much of a difference in Brawl :(.
I beg to differ. There's a good Sonic player here named Espy who will run across the stage and grab you if you airdodge close to the ground. 3000 does this amazing dash dance type thing. He runs back and forth across a level and cancels his run with shield. One of every 3-10 times he does it he flies out with an aerial or side B. It's whack
???

The last time I played Squared's sonic, was a few months ago, I pretty handily 3 stocked it. But I also had a lot of practice from playing against Rockcrock.

I like when Sonic's try to use their neutral B to recover, all you have to do is dodge and it sends them at a downward angle.

Past that, Sonic is pretty bad. Doesn't his dash attack go over Diddy Bananas, without picking them up. I think Prime told me that once.
who? months ago? and wait, who are those again?

lol dash attacks

Sonic pretty much goes up about 2-3 tiers when playing on FD. His spindash -> Up-B -> d-air (autocancel) into dash attack/grab/smash attack is amazing, but only works on FD.
That's actually really easy to camp lol.

I beat Anther's Sonic, after being down a stock, because OS was standing right there and said "dastrn: don't move and hit down tilt."

It worked. Sonic is garbage.
Overly simplified dtilt strategies probably work a lot better against me in friendlies when it's my first week picking up a strange character <3.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
To avoid less confusion, probably change the title fo the thread. This is more of a Japan tournament result thread rather than an actual tier list.

I'm kind of shocked the position Dedede is in, I thought he was really popular in Japan. Sonic isn't messed up on the West, on the East, he's kind of out of place. Peach deserves to be a little higher than the mean of the Japan and American tier list position. There's one Peach main that keeps placing high with her, that's pretty much it...

Hey, it's a completely different playstyle, but I would love to have tier list directly from Japan, that is completely recent.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I hope it's tourney results. Rereading that tier list made me hurt.

And that Diddy vs Sonic player was a bad match IMO.

The Sonic player was amazing! But the Diddy player didn't even glide toss his banana's. Lame.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The Sonic player was amazing! But the Diddy player didn't even glide toss his banana's. Lame.
In terms of Sonics, that guy didn't really do anything special at all :l

weee i can space with bair and i try to use bair when my opponents are faaar in front of meee lulzluolgoodsonic!

Both of them were lacking.

Super Angry Luigi

Smash Apprentice
There list is pretty strange, i mean, i can see why Ganondorf is at the bottom, but Luigi, and other characters in our Tier list are way too low. What standard to the **** go by anyway, anyone know?
Actually, I think Luigi's position is more accurate on this Japanese list than it is on our list. Luigi is placed WAY too high on our list. He's not that good.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
This is based on the Japanese metagame so comparing it to our list when we don't know much about their metagame is wrong.

So it's not way off until we know.
This is true. You guys should stop saying that their tier list is wrong. They might be thinking the same thing about ours.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
This is true. You guys should stop saying that their tier list is wrong. They might be thinking the same thing about ours.
It's not even a tier list, it's a tournament performance list. And I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

Top Bottom