• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab cancelling with Ike, faster than normal?

Shadow Tactics

Smash Cadet
I've seen videos of Ikes were occassionally they jab cancel much faster than seems to be possible with the normal AA-crouch cancel method. Is there an alternate way of jab cancelling much faster with Ike? I've used the search but I haven't found anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3FTg2FyXQ

This is Ren's montage, go to 0:18 and look at the speed of his jabs. I'm pretty **** sure that's not crouch cancelling ._.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
To elaborate on Kirk's post. If you hold A while not attacking anything, you will continue to jab. If you connect with your opponent and continue to hold A, you will do all 3 parts of the combo. However, if you catch your opponent in the air and hold A, you will hit them initially with the jab, and here is the big part, if you miss the kick (As seen in Ren's video), you will reset back to the first jab.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Rykoshet said:
I do that **** manually you're all scrubs.
Even if you do it manually, it can't possibly be faster than holding the button down in that situation. The only reason to do it manually would be to show off; it's illogical and pointless. Obviously if your opponent is on the ground you would have to jab cancel but that's different from this situation.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Even if you do it manually, it can't possibly be faster than holding the button down in that situation. The only reason to do it manually would be to show off; it's illogical and pointless. Obviously if your opponent is on the ground you would have to jab cancel but that's different from this situation.
Rykoshet's joking, don't take him seriously.

But yeah, what bored said; if you hold A and miss with the 2nd hit of the jab combo (the kick), the jab combo will reset back to the 1st hit of the combo (the punch).

Just as a tidbit of info so that people don't get confused:

Jab canceling is canceling the ending animation of your jab generally by crouching.

Combat walking is what the OP is referring to.

Jab locking is this, where you jab a grounded opponent, walk forward, then jab them again. It looks like Falco's laser lock, which is where the name derived from.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
ilovekimchixD said:
I can jab cancel into Aether. Beat that.
I can jab cancel into win.

... just felt like contributing my skillz.

metroid1117 said:
Jab locking is this, where you jab a grounded opponent, walk forward, then jab them again.
Thanks, I was just about to ask what jab locking was somewhere else.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
It can be shortened by a significant amount through proper SDI, I think. And if you SDI well enough, your opponent may whiff their next jab, giving you a chance to escape the lock. Don't quote me on that last part.

Course, Ike doesn't have a jab lock, but his jab cancels are much more convenient and hold nearly as many mixup options.

Palpi

Smash Hero
ugh yeah had to finish that post in time for CSS match (team was yelling at me) mixed up termonology my bad.

If you QCDI the first jab it is almost virtually impossible to jab->grab. My doubles partner almost preemptively QCDI's everything which is actually very good so it is a bit annoying when it comes to leading stuff out of my jabs

Edo14

Smash Cadet
Guess everyone already answered your question LOL. Just to be silly I jab to Start + R + L + A.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
ilovekimchixD said:
A very nice guide for the concepts of DI, where SDI and QCDI are explained as well, is located here.
Thanks, I skimmed through it and it was very helpful. I've been reading a lot of guides on Ike and watching a lot of gameplay videos, but it seems that simply playing and practicing is the best thing for getting better, since Ike doesn't have many difficult techniques to learn about and master.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
wait in 1:31 falco isn't caught in the air but ike still does a jab-cancell?

EDIT:
and also can't that constant jabbing be DI-out?

metroid1117

Smash Master
wait in 1:31 falco isn't caught in the air but ike still does a jab-cancell?

EDIT:
and also can't that constant jabbing be DI-out?
1. Yes. Jab canceling can be done any time after the first or second hit of the jab combo, regardless of your opponent's position.

2. Yes, which is why most of the time you only see single jab -> jab cancel.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You mean combat walk? Jab locking is like laser locking, you can't escape it until the end of the stage if someone does it properly.
combat walking is when you don't hit anyone jab locking is like ftilt locking or MK's Dtilt lock which are affected by DI.

Laser locks are the only ones with systematic hit stun which you can't SDI.

Kirk

Smash Champion
They can be SDI'd while you're in the lock. Moving yourself toward them(and eventually behind them) is a good way to escape...most of the time.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Including Sonic's.. when you're on the ground and he steps back and punches you and keeps you bouncing? I guess it'd be dumb, once the concept of SDI is grasped, to remain under the impression that they're inescapable, then again.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
To elaborate on Kirk's post. If you hold A while not attacking anything, you will continue to jab. If you connect with your opponent and continue to hold A, you will do all 3 parts of the combo. However, if you catch your opponent in the air and hold A, you will hit them initially with the jab, and here is the big part, if you miss the kick (As seen in Ren's video), you will reset back to the first jab.
yeah that' s right
i often do it with my mario
nothing special

velasool

Smash Rookie
i was doing this yesterday, i was practising ikes jab cancel and while doing the first 2 hits i held down on the control stick as well as the a button which lead to this "combat walk", the way you guys are describing it makes it sound like you have to do it only with the A button, correct me if i am wrong

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
i was doing this yesterday, i was practising ikes jab cancel and while doing the first 2 hits i held down on the control stick as well as the a button which lead to this "combat walk", the way you guys are describing it makes it sound like you have to do it only with the A button, correct me if i am wrong
If you hit someone with the first jab and miss with the second, you don't have to hold down to reset, you only have to hold A. If you want to 'combat walk' without hitting anyone then yes, you have to hold down as well.

Top Bottom