• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

Noshiee

Smash Ace
im afraid that Ness will become the next Tom Nook...
why didnt sakurai just said "Ness is not coming Brawl", or atleast "maybe" couse the "up until now" is not complete, giving it two different meanings:
"...up until now, and he still will be"
or
"...up until now, couse he has been remplaced by Lucas"

...I believe he is gone, so that you know, Ill misss him though, he was one of my mains :(

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Seriously, STOP hoping Ness will maybe return. THis is one of the things that really frightens me from SmashBoard users. It's never ok. Sakurai tried to soften the blow for you guys, telling him he's not in, and STILL you guys make threads like "Maybe Ness will Return!" - There is no logic for him to return.

Two characters with the same up B? Sakurai will not let that through. You could argue with Charizard and Bowser having the same, but this is the EXACT same form.

It makes me sad seeing you hope he will return. He is gone. Im not going to post it in caps, but please realize. This is the end of the road for Ness.

Well, We also don't know if we will actually have clones or not.

Link and Young link had the same Up + B. Please don't use that in an argument.

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
aww man ness was awsome but now im definalty a lucas user because thunder is improved amd was my FAV move in 64 but sad in melee. pk freeze looks interesting

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
i still dont understand at all how a BAIR is going to spike someone can someone plz explain that 2 me

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Ness is in, Sakurai said that everyone from SSB64 would be in Brawl. Yes, EVERYONE. He said this virtually, at the beginning of production.

rutsh

Smash Rookie
For everyone who is so fervently convinced of Ness' fate one way or the other:

Sakurai's statement does not confirm anything. The literal meaning in the english language, is that Ness is NOT in Brawl. (Think about breakfast at McDonalds--you can order a hashbrown at 9:59:59 am, but its french fries at 10:00:00am. And so in this sense, you can get breakfast up until 10am just like Ness appeared up until Brawl). However, as anyone who has studied a foreign language (and anyone who has read the translations above) knows, a translation is never perfect. So it is possible that Sakurai's attempt at being sneaky and ambiguous on Ness' fate in Japanese came off being optimistic in some languages and pessimistic in others. One way or another, we are not going to know Ness' fate until direct evidence is presented or until Brawl is out. Analogies based on other characters, prior roster history, and personal biases cannot determine anything either. Look at it this way though--Sakurai has done a fantastic job with what we have seen of Brawl so far. If Sakurai chose to removed Ness, he clearly felt that he could improve the series in some other fashion. He will not disappoint you.

That being said, suppose that Ness is in the series. Has anyone thought about the impact?? Lucas would be the first confirmed "clone" in Brawl! This would also mean that clones in Brawl are not just modified versions of other characters, but that they will also have significantly different personalities and movesets (certainly what Sakurai intended to do with Melee). So what else could this mean? Dr. Mario's return, Ike's new status as a "clone" next to a returning Marth and/or Roy, Cell Link's chances improve, and Melee clones receiveing new or similarly modified movesets. What do you guys think?

bugball

Smash Apprentice
i'm spanish, and in spanish version of the game it says:
Seguramente os acordaréis de Ness, un personaje que apareció en anteriores ediciones de Smash Bros. Pues bien, Lucas es muy parecido a él.

traslate:
sure you remember ness, a character that appear in last smashbros editions. good, lucas is much like him

i was very surprised when i read in this forum that ness will be oput, because in spanish page, there is no reference of ness goodbye xDDD

The American translator (the man who showed us the Samus vs Mario and Link vs Sonic demos) would obviously have some guidelines from Sakurai or information he himself knows about the game when writing the update text. Sakurai doesn't just feed the text to them so that they can translate it like obedient sheep. They know who's in and who's out. So the guy didn't slip up. Point is, Ness will NOT return.

Rex+

Smash Ace
That being said, suppose that Ness is in the series. Has anyone thought about the impact?? Lucas would be the first confirmed "clone" in Brawl! This would also mean that clones in Brawl are not just modified versions of other characters, but that they will also have significantly different personalities and movesets (certainly what Sakurai intended to do with Melee). So what else could this mean? Dr. Mario's return, Ike's new status as a "clone" next to a returning Marth and/or Roy, Cell Link's chances improve, and Melee clones receiveing new or similarly modified movesets. What do you guys think?

Now that you mention it, it does seem very possible.

If only personalities/ground moves/aerial moves were completely changed, and special moves shared the same concept but different tweaks and others, characters could definitely have their own unique movesets, even though their specials may be alike. This sounds like something Sakurai would do.
This could easily create some unbalance between two "copies." Think, if Lucas's PK Fire did more damage, and his PK Thunder, when hit with it, let him fly father? Which one would you think people would use?
Ness would be run out of the mill by Lucas, and become under-used since Lucas had so many more special qualities that let him do more damage, survive longer, etc.

Ness is in, Sakurai said that everyone from SSB64 would be in Brawl. Yes, EVERYONE. He said this virtually, at the beginning of production.
He said quite the opposite actually. He said not all characters would return. Pichu for example. Maybe you can explain why Pikachu has Pichu's signature move, Pichu's Melee goggles and was made smaller.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
The topic writer I believe is wrong. In the dojo, Sakurai said that kicking move was his up strong. By this he means it's his up-tilt, because when he showed Lucas's down-smash, he spcifically said down-smash.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
They can't take Ness out. Kirby looked so cool with Ness' hat. What are they gonna do with Lucas' kirby hat!!!

I am pretty bummed out that the original 12 won't be in Brawl. There is a small chance, but highly doubted.

Rex+

Smash Ace
They can't take Ness out. Kirby looked so cool with Ness' hat. What are they gonna do with Lucas' kirby hat!!!

I am pretty bummed out that the original 12 won't be in Brawl. There is a small chance, but highly doubted.

Give him a hairstyle. I wonder if that's just a cowlick Lucas has, or the result of half a bottle of gel?

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
The American translator (the man who showed us the Samus vs Mario and Link vs Sonic demos) would obviously have some guidelines from Sakurai or information he himself knows about the game when writing the update text. Sakurai doesn't just feed the text to them so that they can translate it like obedient sheep. They know who's in and who's out. So the guy didn't slip up. Point is, Ness will NOT return.
Or Sakurai's guidelines were "mindgame those punks!"

I'm a Ness fan, but it seems all but official at this point that he's gone. The only hope now is the Luigi route - specials look similar but function differently, and A moves are very different (nobody that knows what they're talking about says Luigi is a Mario clone in Melee). Many of Lucas' specials have noticeable differences, though that's likely due to them tweaking the specials between the two games. I don't care what the wording says on Dojo. Lost in translation and all of that.

Having said that... -if- Ness is truly gone, than Lucas better be the only Earthbound/Mother rep. If there's multiple reps, and Ness is not among them..... it's vendatta time and I'll specifically target any of those characters in every vs match (such as online). I can deal with it (won't like it) if Lucas is the only rep and replaces Ness. Booting Ness and adding others at the same time would be a slap in the face.

And Lucas is not an upgrade. To me, he looks like some country boy that belongs on a farm. Ness had a much better vibe to him. Makes you think of things like baseball (not because of the bat) and apple pie.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go over to the Melee Ness forum and learn how to properly use Ness in Melee.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
"i'm spanish, and in spanish version of the game it says:
Seguramente os acordaréis de Ness, un personaje que apareció en anteriores ediciones de Smash Bros. Pues bien, Lucas es muy parecido a él.

traslate:
sure you remember ness, a character that appear in last smashbros editions. good, lucas is much like him

i was very surprised when i read in this forum that ness will be oput, because in spanish page, there is no reference of ness goodbye xDDD "

do u need any more proof that u guys are crazy and overeacting HOWEVER clones will not be in sakurai said so im gonna assume hes out unless some1 can give me a LEGIT moveset for him diffrent from lucas

Mr fN LeON

Smash Cadet
if he does anything wit the o.g. 12 dere is something wrong wit him I think ill start a riot if all of dem r not in

**** u sakurai but thank u 4 puttin sonic nd the poke trainer in the game lol

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
Re:

Hey, this could just be as mistranslation. Or, it could be that he just hasn't been revealed yet. Don't assume things just yet!

lucario_user

Smash Ace
or it could be mindgames. look at the previous posts of what has happened becouse of a few sentances. hes trying to surprise us as much as possible. metroid has been left alone for a while and ridley might be tommorow.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Saying up until now doesn't mean anything, he's saying so far, Ness has a chance because Lucas looks very Luigi-fied
Why would a series like Mother have two characters that similar. There will not be more than two in the game. Lucas may even be the only fighter. I think the only other fighter who has a chance is Claus, since Lucas uses a lot of Kumatora's moves.

Either Lucas solo or with Claus. Ness just doesn't fit in the picture.

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Watch, Ness is tomorrow's update :)

But sadly, I guess he's gone. Yeah, I'm pissed, but I'm not gonna let it get to me...much. Frankly, I'd be MORE pissed if Claus was announced. I'd like somebody from EarthBound, like Jeff or Poo, to be a PC. But, one question still lingers in my mind...

Why wasn't Lucas at E4All? Did Sakurai not want us to learn about Ness' deconfirm if there was an alt costume? Would barely a month (assuming he's deconfirmed today) really make a difference? O.o

Another thing...for all you who think Ness was terrible and god-awful in Melee take the time to work with him? I know he was seriously nerfed from 64, but I don't think he sucks. Personally, I think he's better than Marth, because I played with Ness and got used to him. I can understand if you don't like Ness, but don't say he was the suckiest character.

On topic - Woo-hoo! PK Freeze and a Rope Snake. Congrats to Lucas for having a not-entirely copied moveset, and a nice looking PK Fire.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Why are you guys talking like you know what's going to happen?

Ugh, I hate speculations, it's probably one of the stupidest thing you do, especially when so many of you sound a bit *too* sure of your speculating.

I don't care about your theories.

Ness is not gone until I see the update.
Roy is not gone until I see the update.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
So much speculation resulting from an ambiguous update. It could really go either way. I mean, "up until now" Ness has been in smash. "up until now" Mario has been in smash, and the same could be said for many other veterans. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's out, it's just an ambiguous update. I guess we'll just have to wait and see =/

iLink

Smash Champion
As much as I hate to see ness leave, I think he is deconfirmed. He was mentioned twice in the dojo and hasn't gotten an intro as a vet? Rather weird don't you think?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Do you honestly think with them quoting ness and saying ness's name all the time will just result in him not being in the game? it makes no sense. of course ness is in.

Only thing we can do is sit and wait. Im not deconfirming anyone until I've played the game.

Top Bottom