• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

Tonic_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
Even if we disregard the wording on the DOJO, Lucas still has all of Ness's special moves.

Not only that, but each special move seems to be an improvement of Ness's specials. The toward B goes horizantal in the air and looks more explosive, the Up B seems to go longer and is complimented by Lucas's tether recovery, the B nuetral has freezing properties, and the magnet can now also absorb some attacks other then projectiles.

If Ness was in the game, wouldn't Lucas get different specials. Sakurai stated his interest in avoiding clones.

And if Ness was in the game, wouldn't he be revealed first? All the main characters of a franchise appeared ont he Dojo before other characters int he same franchise.
Good points here, but maybe Ness is getting a new move set? Why would he remove a character who was in the past two games? Isn't it possible that there will be two characters from the same franchise that aren't clones? None of the original four unlockables from SSB64 have been announced, and I would like to think that all of them are going to return. The original 8 have.

$hYne

Smash Ace
Germany, but i dont use this account anymore, my n
If anyone hasn't figured out that Sakurai LOVES playing these games with us, you all need to learn REAL fast. Until Sakurai reveals Ness' update or we all get Brawl and he isn't there, stop assuming things. You all read WAAAAAAAYY too much into his updates, just take them as they are, it's a moveset update. Nothing more nothing less...

BTW, here are the other languages translations of todays update:

[SPANISH]

Surely you agree Ness, a character that appeared in previous editions of Smash Bros.. Well, Lucas is very similar to it. In fact, come from the same family of users of ISPs.

However, his style of fighting is quite different, because they do not have the same moves.

[FRENCH]

You know Ness since its appearance in the series Smash Bros., you will soon adopt Lucas, very similar. They belong to the same family of characters PK.

They have not the same style of fighting physics. What I mean is that they do not use the same standard moves.

[ITALIAN]

Lucas is very similar to Ness, a character who has always seemed so far in the series of Smash Bros. .. Both use the Psico powers.

But their way of fighting is quite different. And I mean that they do not have the same standard moves.

[GERMAN]

In the Smash Bros. series a character named Ness appeared so far. Lucas resembles him very much .

("In der Smash Bros.-Serie ist bislang ein Charakter namens Ness aufgetreten. Lucas ähnelt ihm sehr.")

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
I think the variety in Lucas' moves... such as PK Freeze instead of PK Flash and the variety in his standard moves is enough to give him a variety. Besides, they could easily change some of Ness' moves as well. I also think due to translation from Japanese, the meaning of the English was skewed a little bit. This point inferring that Ness hasn't been announced yet, I think it even possibly implied that he'd be announced at some point. But, I'm sure as many of you believe, I could be wrong. Like many have pointed out, I think he'll be just like a Luigi, not quite a clone, but similar.

Tony_

Smash Ace
This proves Sakurai's bias nature. He showed it with the ridiculous increase in percentage of Kirby representation, and he's showing it now with Japanese characters. Even though he said he wanted the roster to be more "universal" he's obviously not following up on it.

This was the most bias decision yet. I look forward to seeing more.
Cry moar Ness f@g. Dedede was coming based on the poll. Metaknight was needed for a villain role.

Also, the Japanese couldn't care less about being bias. He planned on getting rid of Ness in Melee, and finally did so in Brawl. That doesn't seem like bias to me. That tells me he was clearing the spot for another Mother character.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I just hesitate to jump to conclusions either way. Stuff like this:

This is also quite different from Ness’s.
Makes me wonder if Ness is still in, and for that reason Lucas' differences from Ness are being highlighted to make him seem less clone-ish.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
I'll just say here...Lucas having the special moves of Ness is not a coinicidence. As everyone and their grandmother knows, Lucas was meant to replace Ness in Melee. What we're seeing here is a follow through. I made 4 points why Ness isn't in in my blog (http://brawled.blogspot.com/2007/11/100807-update-impressions.html), so I won't repeat them here.

You just need to rip this off like a bandaid. One motion, quickly. Ness isn't it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
If anyone hasn't figured out that Sakurai LOVES playing these games with us, you all need to learn REAL fast. Until Sakurai reveals Ness' update or we all get Brawl and he isn't there, stop assuming things. You all read WAAAAAAAYY too much into his updates, just take them as they are, it's a moveset update. Nothing more nothing less...

BTW, here are the other languages translations of todays update:

[SPANISH]

Surely you agree Ness, a character that appeared in previous editions of Smash Bros.. Well, Lucas is very similar to it. In fact, come from the same family of users of ISPs.

However, his style of fighting is quite different, because they do not have the same moves.

[FRENCH]

You know Ness since its appearance in the series Smash Bros., you will soon adopt Lucas, very similar. They belong to the same family of characters PK.

They have not the same style of fighting physics. What I mean is that they do not use the same standard moves.

[ITALIAN]

Lucas is very similar to Ness, a character who has always seemed so far in the series of Smash Bros. .. Both use the Psico powers.

But their way of fighting is quite different. And I mean that they do not have the same standard moves.
Stop dreaming. Wake up! Ness is gone.

He is

DECONFIRMED
DISCONFIRMED
UNCONFIRMED

Goodbye.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Good points here, but maybe Ness is getting a new move set? Why would he remove a character who was in the past two games?

It is not removing a character.
It is giving a character a worthy successor from the same franchise with a similar appearance and the same style. -_-

Goddammit, you might as well whine about how TP Link replaced OoT Link. His hair is a somewhat different color! He wears slightly different clothes! He has different moves! Oh where oh where is the Link I knew and loved?!

I'm really trying to be respectful here, but I'm failing hard. Because I just cannot grasp how one can not manage to move on in this situation.

Kittah4

Smash Ace

It is not removing a character.
It is giving a character a worthy successor from the same franchise with a similar appearance and the same style. -_-

Goddammit, you might as well whine about how TP Link replaced OoT Link. His hair is a somewhat different color! He wears slightly different clothes! He has different moves! Oh where oh where is the Link I knew and loved?!

I'm really trying to be respectful here, but I'm failing hard. Because I just cannot grasp how one can not manage to move on in this situation.
Because Link is Link, even if they have different appearances.

Lucas is quite obviously NOT Ness. He has a different name, different style, different A moves, and a severe lack of Ness' iconic accessories.

People are angry if Ness is gone because he's the ONLY official link Earthbound fans have to Mother. With him being gone, thats just sad, especially since Lucas' game was quite obstinantely ignored here.

Besides, didn't Sakurai say he was trying to avoid Japanese bias? Because it looks like he's failing. I'm going to spit if I see Takamaru as a character, with three other characters with katanas passed up for playable spots.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
yeah, the fact that lucas has so many similar moves as ness, mainly his specials, pretty much dropped ness chances to like 1%. seeing as how sakurai wants no more clones...peace

-hiroshi
Proof? People have asked "Where has Sakurai said he's goin to include all original 12 characters?", so I'm asking you, where has Sakurai said there won't be any "clones"?

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
/cry fairtlhy well ness i shall miss thee... /who cares?! ah well easy come easy go!
Ness is deconfirmed. Face the truth. Even the update says so.
Quote from smashbros dojo: "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users".

He's gone. Face it.
Why all the hating? :(

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's not "hating", it's facing the truth.

I wanted Ness in myself, but it's pointless to keep on thinking he has a chance now. Sakurai has put the facts right in our faces, and we still aren't accepting it? *sighs*

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know what I've had it, I could care less whether or not Ness is in Brawl. I'm just trying to point out that it is not
official. Let's look at the sentence, "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.
They are from the same family of PK users."

The fact that there is a comma after the phrase with the continuation of the sentence saying "Lucas is very similar" shows that
he is not talking about Ness being cut, he is using Ness as an example to explain Lucas. The phrase "they are from the same family of PK users,"
is kind of weight to the last sentence to balance out the thought behind the whole paragraph. All in all nothing can be derived from this
sentence regarding Ness because he IS NOT trying to say ANYTHING about Ness, he is being used as an example. It is by no means proof he
is in or proof he is out.

Also the fact Sakurai tried to show all the differences between Lucas and Ness could also imply the inclusion of Ness, while if
you take only a fragment of the whole context you can believe Ness is out. If any of you would even use yourskulls you would
realize that Sakurai is doing this to try and get more attention on Brawl, if he can stir up more debate the better it is for
the game. Or Sakurai is a big donkey who loves nothing more than warping peoples feelings and vexing them.

It is too early to tell whether he's out or in. Both sides are to presumptuious, he quite possibly could be out,
he quite possibly could be in. It's 50/50.

BTW. The whole clone thing with Ness and Lucas is not valid either, Luigi had three of the same special moves as Mario with only
slight variatins and there is no way he's out, the same could be said for Lucas. So this argument is not valid either.

Everyone just calm down and wait. Stop playing Sakurai's menaical game.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Because Link is Link, even if they have different appearances.

Lucas is quite obviously NOT Ness. He has a different name, different style, different A moves, and a severe lack of Ness' iconic accessories.

People are angry if Ness is gone because he's the ONLY official link Earthbound fans have to Mother. With him being gone, thats just sad, especially since Lucas' game was quite obstinantely ignored here.

Besides, didn't Sakurai say he was trying to avoid Japanese bias? Because it looks like he's failing. I'm going to spit if I see Takamaru as a character, with three other characters with katanas passed up for playable spots.
I agree that Sakurai had better get something in motion so we can play Earthbound 2 soon. :p

Well, I see how that is a factor. But Lucas is a good kid and he's from the sequel and such... and if you are really an Earthbound fan, then go ahead and find a way to play Mother 3. I'm not exactly a super diehard fan of the game ( which is not to say that I don't love it ), but even I have already done research long ago and got used to Lucas.
If people are such big fans of the series, they shouldn't be above doing some research and even playing the rom. Which isn't translated yet, but should be sometime soon.

If you're just angry at Sakurai because he's biased, I'm joining. Where do I sign? :p

Why all the hating? :(
Hating? I for one love Ness.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
You know what I've had it, I could care less whether or not Ness is in Brawl. I'm just trying to point out that it is not
official. Let's look at the sentence, "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.
They are from the same family of PK users."

The fact that there is a comma after the phrase with the continuation of the sentence saying "Lucas is very similar" shows that
he is not talking about Ness being cut, he is using Ness as an example to explain Lucas. The phrase "they are from the same family of PK users,"
is kind of weight to the last sentence to balance out the thought behind the whole paragraph. All in all nothing can be derived from this
sentence regarding Ness because he IS NOT trying to say ANYTHING about Ness, he is being used as an example. It is by no means proof he
is in or proof he is out.

Also the fact Sakurai tried to show all the differences between Lucas and Ness could also imply the inclusion of Ness, while if
you take only a fragment of the whole context you can believe Ness is out. If any of you would even use yourskulls you would
realize that Sakurai is doing this to try and get more attention on Brawl, if he can stir up more debate the better it is for
the game. Or Sakurai is a big donkey who loves nothing more than warping peoples feelings and vexing them.

It is too early to tell whether he's out or in. Both sides are to presumptuious, he quite possibly could be out,
he quite possibly could be in. It's 50/50.

BTW. The whole clone thing with Ness and Lucas is not valid either, Luigi had three of the same special moves as Mario with only
slight variatins and there is no way he's out, the same could be said for Lucas. So this argument is not valid either.

Everyone just calm down and wait. Stop playing Sakurai's menaical game.
I agree. You guys are just falling into sakurai's trap. He wants everyone to be sad that Ness is "suppously " gone, until you find him in Subspace Emissary and he starts kick ***.

I mean how awesome would that be if everyone thought ness wasnt in, and he makes an epic entrance? SUPRISE, ness is back.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
The people that still think Ness is in are the people I don't want to meet.

This is like debating Religion. There is no proof who's right and who's wrong. We're just going to have to wait until he final roster is announced.

AgentCantwell

Smash Rookie
And if Ness was in the game, wouldn't he be revealed first? All the main characters of a franchise appeared ont he Dojo before other characters int he same franchise.

Actually none of the characters that were hidden in either game have been revealed yet.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Actually none of the characters that were hidden in either game have been revealed yet.
And I believe there is a valid reason for this. I think they will be unlockables again, BUT "easy" unlockables. Like, they will appear in SSE mode, and all you have to do is beat SSE mode once to unlock all the orginal n64 hiddens.

Then there's the actual hard unlockables, which may require you to beat classic mode on super hard without dieing or something.

Ness, Luigi, Jiggpuff, and Captain Falcon will be in.

DarckSol

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure the Flip Kick was an up TILT. And that the PK Barrage was a Down Smash. Probably just typos, but might as well point them out..

In any case, I feel that Lucas had potential for his own moveset. Shame to see Ness possibly gone, but then agan, we still have the first two game.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
So what are the chances of Ness coming back with a new set of special moves that compliment his fighting style better, and these moves were given to Lucas because they compliment his fighting style better.

Now, when I say "compliment his fighting style better", I mean that these moves help Lucas and Ness combo/kill much more easily then if they had switched them around.

This is all just wishful thinking, but I do have a 99.9% gut feeling that Ness is truley gone.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Good points here, but maybe Ness is getting a new move set? Why would he remove a character who was in the past two games? Isn't it possible that there will be two characters from the same franchise that aren't clones? None of the original four unlockables from SSB64 have been announced, and I would like to think that all of them are going to return. The original 8 have.

Perhaps Ness is getting a new moveset. But it would make more sense to give Lucas special moves that reflect his game rather then giving him Ness's specials and giving Ness different specials. There would be an extra step that Sakurai would be taking in that example.

Sakurai did say he was removing characters. And according to the first website before the Dojo, Sakurai mentioned that he planned on replacing Ness with Lucas in Melee, but due to time restraints held back. So I am sure that is what he is doing now. He even warned us.

It is possible that two characters can be from the same franchise and not clones. Most characters are not clones. However, Lucas took Ness's specials that were Ness's trademark.

And remember in the Mother series the main character is different in each game. So it would make some sense replacing Ness with the new guy.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps Ness is getting a new moveset. But it would make more sense to give Lucas special moves that reflect his game rather then giving him Ness's specials and giving Ness different specials. There would be an extra step that Sakurai would be taking in that example.

Sakurai did say he was removing characters. And according to the first website before the Dojo, Sakurai mentioned that he planned on replacing Ness with Lucas in Melee, but due to time restraints held back. So I am sure that is what he is doing now. He even warned us.

It is possible that two characters can be from the same franchise and not clones. Most characters are not clones. However, Lucas took Ness's specials that were Ness's trademark.

And remember in the Mother series the main character is different in each game. So it would make some sense replacing Ness with the new guy.
Wait, weren't Ness' specials Paula's trademark?
PK Flash was the only one he actually had, wasn't it?

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Seriously, STOP hoping Ness will maybe return. THis is one of the things that really frightens me from SmashBoard users. It's never ok. Sakurai tried to soften the blow for you guys, telling him he's not in, and STILL you guys make threads like "Maybe Ness will Return!" - There is no logic for him to return.

Two characters with the same up B? Sakurai will not let that through. You could argue with Charizard and Bowser having the same, but this is the EXACT same form.

It makes me sad seeing you hope he will return. He is gone. Im not going to post it in caps, but please realize. This is the end of the road for Ness.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
People, i can't believe it. Stop clinging to the wording and translation of the update, the real thing is that Lucas stole all of Ness' ****ing moves! It would be too stupid to make a new character, give him an older character's moveset, then make the old character return with a new moveset!

It - makes- no - sense.

While i do admit that until the actual game comes we can't have anything for sure, it's just too clear our good ness has near to zero chance of returning. The proof is on Lucas himself, not in any crappy translation. It's pointless to keep on arguing about this.

Eratangos

Smash Cadet
Sort of like people clinging on to the belief there will be 5 target tests for each character instead of 5 overall. It's clear at this moment in time Sakurai has made a decision to replace Ness with Lucas. Maybe that decision will change.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's too bad about Ness... I started liking him late in Melee's life, (never really liked him in SSB64) but eh, I guess it's not a big deal. I think Lucas looks cooler anyway. Although this is an historic moment, being that an one of the original 12 now rests in peace. We give you a 12 gun salute Ness... may Lucas carry on your legacy, and your F-smash bat with pride and dignity.

MIC, just thought I'd let you know that you accidentally wrote "down special" for the second picture of Lucas, while it's actually his smash. Peace.

montana-maroc

Smash Rookie
settle down noob??.....big words from a 13-year-old......

chill homeboy I was jus tryin to give free rein to my aggressions....ok?
you....ehm....you journey man

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
this blowwwwwwws o well his bair is gonna have some funky properties thats just weird nd wat does his d smash do? i like his up smash alot hate his recovery like the tether recovery hate the pk freeze watever happened to pk love i heard so much about final smash?

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
Luigi Nd Mario Are Almost Completely Diffrent U Cnt Even Conisider Them Clones They Have 3 Moves That Are Somewhat Similar Everything Els Is Diff

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
on anothjer note he did this because hes announcing a new charachter thats gonna b awsome tomarrow nd will 4get all about ness thats his plan at least he did with sonic nd the pushback

Top Bottom