• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

Brawl Melee 64

Smash Cadet
Sucks how Ness is gone, I wanted the original 12 back, but I guess its ok since Lucas will be carrying out his legacy now.

Regardless, I don't think we'll be seeing any kind of Ness-related news on the Dojo. He was unlockable in 64 and Melee and if (however slim a chance it might now be) he happens to be in Brawl, then I think he'll be an unlockable character.
Ness wasnt unlockable in Melee, you started with him.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
C) I'm really looking forward to this game, and if you were a fan of either of the others, you should be, too; you shouldn't say, "Oh noes they took ____ away" or "I don 't like the physics" or whatever. Instead, say, "Wow, this game looks impressive, and so do all the new things they're adding. I suppose if they're taking something old out, they're doing it for a reason." And even if it's a mistake to take something out, they'll put it back in the next installment (Individual entrance animations, the bumper, etc.).
There is no next installment. Sakurai said this is his final smash (heh)

what, he is basically a model change, but what about the snake thing...
It's from MOTHER3. It's not Lucas', though. In a castle in the 3rd chapter, you use the snake to cross gaps.

And to everyone saying Lucas is basically just a different looking Ness, you're dead wrong. I'll compare.

Lucas- He talks, LEARNS PSI; he isn't born with it, I think, he has much different attacks, he has a completely different moveset (IN MOTHER3)

Ness-NEVER talks, has PSI from the start.

This is like saying Mario and Luigi are the same but with a model change. They aren't the same. (well, this example kind of sucks, but mario and luigi are not EXACTLY the same)

NukeA6

Smash Master
Boy, this update sure is leading to serious debates. If people are saying that Ness is gone, you can forget about Luigi since he's a semi-clone of Mario.
Geez, I hate when people use Luigi as a crutch to try saying that certain characters have a chance.

Luigi has been in existance since Mario Bros and is still in the Mario series. He even got 2 games of his own. Luigi was the first clone (if you call it that) in Nintendo history so he deserves to have a spot.

Ness only existed as a main character in one game only to replace Ninten. And don't even mention Marth. He has been a main character in two games and another one is scheduled to be released soon.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Geez, I hate when people use Luigi as a crutch to try saying that certain characters have a chance.

Luigi has been in existance since Mario Bros and is still in the Mario series. He even got 2 games of his own. Luigi was the first clone (if you call it that) in Nintendo history so he deserves to have a spot.

Ness only existed as a main character in one game only to replace Ninten. And don't even mention Marth. He has been a main character in two games and another one is scheduled to be released soon.
yeah plus Sakurai hasn't mentioned Luigi in the same way he has Ness. Now I'm off *floats away via balloon*

crazy hobo.....

Nightlea

Smash Cadet
PK Fire going straight sideways could be an advantage and a disadvantage, depending on the case. PK Freeze... freezing the oponents seems like a plus to me, regardless of the lag it could have (hopefully it's not like PK Flash in that aspect, though); but by having the ability to freeze, it could have less knockback than PK Flash, so it could be like a slightly nerfed PK Flash that freezes. Lucas not being inside PK Magnet could be a disadvantage, but then it says that it absorbs the energy of projectiles and other attacks--that's confusing. PK Thunder looks like it sends you further this time.

His normal moves look great. I'm hoping his forward smash is some variation of Ness' bat (a pole, a stick, the mystical scepter or the metal bat). And he's got the Rope Snake as a tether recovery and most likely a grab.

I'm pretty certain he'll be an improvement of how Ness was in Melee, overall.

*sigh* What an outcry Lucas has caused, eh? But he's proving to be a worthy successor of Ness. I see people warming up to him in the future.

Claus as second Mother rep plz.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm not as concerned about whether Ness will return as I am about whether we'll get another Earthbound rep at all. I will say that I'm leaning toward Ness not returning, but I think he still has a chance, believe it or not.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

Just because Lucas's new moveset is SIMILAR to Ness, that doesn't mean Ness is gone! Ness could very well still be in SSBB, while Lucas would be a "Luigified" clone of Ness. It's like the whole Mario/Luigi thing, you know!

D

Deleted member

:luigi:
Brawlmatt202 said:
Just because Lucas's new moveset is SIMILAR to Ness, that doesn't mean Ness is gone! Ness could very well still be in SSBB, while Lucas would be a "Luigified" clone of Ness. It's like the whole Mario/Luigi thing, you know!
:ness::chainsaw: Ness is gone...but Luigi's moveset will change. You'll see!:luigi:

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
I don't miss Ness because I have NEVER played as him.(I never got the oppertunity, considering I own neither Earthbound or Smash Bros.) But for sad Ness fans, you can have his trophy to look forward to still. :)
Or catching sight of it could just make them cry harder.:ohwell:

Edit: Assuming that Ness is actually removed, of course.

OATH

Smash Apprentice
wow...Sakurai removing ness is like the dumbest thing possible ever seriously forget lucas ness is oldschool

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
Ness is in, Sakurai said that everyone from SSB64 would be in Brawl. Yes, EVERYONE.
Source please.

And also, "in brawl", that doesn't mean they're all gonna be part of the playable roster. Just means they will manifest in one form or another.

OATH

Smash Apprentice
seriously i hope this doesnt mean anything..i really do.
i would rather have a bad*** kid with a bat and a yoyo then some snake hugging homo kid. >.<!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NukeA6

Smash Master
i would rather have a bad*** kid with a bat and a yoyo then some snake hugging homo kid. >.<!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ness was badass in 64. He was just gay in Melee.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
First off, the snake originally belonged to Duster in Mother 3. And just because you like Ness more, that doesn't make Lucas a "homo".

Ameba2

Smash Rookie
Look, I'm not gonna go into translations and all that...
Instead, think of this.
Has Sakurai ever mentioned a character's name before updating said character?
He has shown character's in screenshots/trailers before updating them, yes, but never talked about them on the updates before actually updating their profile.
Then, by your logic, Captain Falcon should be out too. The Samurai Goroh update says: Here’s Samurai Goroh, Captain Falcon’s rival. He’s an F-Zero Pilot. He wears the number five. Honestly, I don't think Sakurai will remove any of the original 12 characters (Luigi is semi-confirmed, Captain Falcon MUST be in, Jigglypuff is... well, he should be in >_>).

BTW, the Spanish version of the DOJO!! says: Seguramente os acordaréis de Ness, un personaje que apareció en anteriores ediciones de Smash Bros. This can be translated as You should remember Ness, a character who appeared in previous Smash Bros. installments. Take this as you like, but I'm betting that tomorrow's update will be Ness.

Fawriel

Smash Master
You know, if you were right, I would agree with you. That's a heartwarming thought, isn't it?

I think some of you guys need to stop being so conservative and look at the whole thing objectively:
Ness was a silent protagonist with no inherent personality. He did hero things in his game. His game was AWESOME.
Lucas is a protagonist with a deep personality. He did hero things in his game. His game was AWESOME.

I mean, honestly. What do you want?
You think Ness looks cooler? Lucas' haircut is an acquired taste for sure. But Ness looking cooler? Try zooming in. That kid is a frikkin potato. And he wasn't nearly as sparkly and shiny as Lucas is here.
Do you want Ness' fighting style? It's still there. He's gonna be floaty and he will likely have the sparkles. And the headbutt. And the back-throw. And a similar fsmash. Which were Ness' only decent moves. Everything Lucas is displaying is an improvement.
Are you an Earthbound fan? Then be a man, suck it up and play the **** sequel.

EDIT: I apologize for the rude tone of this post. I do not mean to rub salt into the wounds of those who liked Ness and will miss him. I do however mean to rub salt into the wounds of those who act like complete jerkasses about it.

Zek

Smash Ace
Stage 1, Denial:
If Ness isn't coming back, Sakurai wouldn't have mentioned him on the update.

You could say that Sakurai let the cat out of the bag when he said Ness.
Ness is gone. Sakurai mentioned him here as a not-so-subtle hint that Lucas is his replacement. Just think about it - if Ness were still in the game, why would they have given Lucas every single one of his B moves? Every. Single. One. He doesn't even have that one unique special like Luigi does. There is no conceivable reason they would have taken a brand new character and turned him into a clone.

NESS IS GONE.

:luigi:

:ness::chainsaw: Ness is gone...but Luigi's moveset will change. You'll see!:luigi:
Luigi's moveset is already completely different from Mario's. Why do people still think he's a clone?

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Boy, this update sure is leading to serious debates. If people are saying that Ness is gone, you can forget about Luigi since he's a semi-clone of Mario.
I don't think you understand, nor you are even bothering to read, what other people are trying to say.

It's not just the fact that Lucas has similar moves to Ness, the MAIN point is the statement up until now which clearly means that UP UNTIL BRAWL, Ness was a playable character, but now he is not. There really isn't any other way to interpret it.

D

Deleted member

I don't think you understand, nor you are even bothering to read, what other people are trying to say.

It's not just the fact that Lucas has similar moves to Ness, the MAIN point is the statement up until now which clearly means that UP UNTIL BRAWL, Ness was a playable character, but now he is not. There really isn't any other way to interpret it.
Well said *Gives -sonny- a cookie*

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
I wish Lucas is just as good as Ness was in 64. Ness was pretty much my 3rd main.
I LOVE the fighting style of Ness, but in Melee, he is just WAY to laggy.
Lucas, dont dissapoint me!

Oh and PK Freeze = Pwnage

Fawriel

Smash Master
Good thing translations are always perfect... wait...
Yeah hur hur.

Literal translation of いままで (ima made): Ima is now, Made is until. The translation "so far" is not very accurate and is often used as a stylistic choice by the translator. "Until now" is the best way to interpret imamade in this case. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Top Bottom