• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the "So Long Ness" Monster of an update

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
I still believe ness is in the game.

Unless the Japanese site says otherwise, you shouldn't take the USA translation that literal. It's a figure of speech

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.
Up until now is ambiguos. It could mean he was in every game up to brawl (He's in) or it could mean this is the first game he isn't in (he's out) Take whichever one you want.

The use of the present tense for Ness indicates something also

But Lucas’s physical combat style is quite different. By which I mean, he does not have the same standard moves.
The "but" here implies the former's meaning of the phrase "up until now"

<Side Special Move: PK Fire>

This is also quite different from Ness’s
Again, present tense. It IS different from Ness.

Lucas is so different from Ness, it almost seems more like this update was leading into a Ness update. Sakurai sometimes does the lead ins. IE Dedede the penguin for the ice level, the movie showing petey leading to petey, etc

Fawriel

Smash Master
I still believe ness is in the game.

Unless the Japanese site says otherwise, you shouldn't take the USA translation that literal. It's a figure of speech
How about the original Japanese translation then?
SamuraiPanda translated it. He confirmed that it's exclusive, not inclusive. Ness used to be in. Up till now.

And... from what we saw, Lucas is barely different. Sure, the visuals have changed, but the effects seem to be pretty much the same.

Also, "it IS different from Ness's"? What else was he supposed to say, "It WAS different", or "it will have been different"?

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
All Ness brings to the table is a pretty face and a baseball cap now. Lucas has all his moves, and improves upon them in every way. Ness fans should be rejoicing that their mediocre character has been reborn as quite playable.

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
well at least these posts are mildly entertaining to read......
if ness does return ill be suprised.... delightfully suprised of course.
always was fun to pk flash my friends as they returned to the edge.
the joy of their star ko deaths.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
not at all

PK Flash=/=PK Freeze, they may be similar but only as similar as Mario/Luigi's Up Specials

I don't know, maybe I'm just holding on to Ness because he was one of the characters I really liked about Smash Bros. Now that a "super star" can take the place of a little guy who was a vet just seems a little odd, especially a Japanese exclusive character.

There moves just seem to different. Down Smash for example. No Yo Yo? Note how Lucas' over special wasn't confirmed, is it not the bat possibly? They just seem too different to be considered replacements. Lucas's pillar of fire is diagonal, while Ness's [was] horizontal. Pk Flash was a huge knockback move, Lucas freezes and does the dead opposite.

I'd also like a translation of the final smash update, because the American site was clearly incorrect on that.

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, Lucas looks much better then Ness. I'll probably consider using him. I don't know why people are unable to choose Lucas over Ness.

Even so, an alt Ness costume for Lucas = **** YEAH!

Jackal478

Smash Ace
no the actual FS update that says "only one per match" because that as we know now, is not true.
No it doesn't

it says: "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball, which is a precious item, indeed"

by "...performed but once..." it means once each smash ball.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
No it doesn't

it says: "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball, which is a precious item, indeed"

thank god it meant what i always hoped it meant...now back to sir Lucas (^^)v

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Who's that in the ice in the second PK Freeze screen?

As much as I love Ness, those words "up until now" really lower his chances...unless I'm reading it wrong.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
No it doesn't

case in point, the Lucas update could in theory be taken a different way than the masses believe the first hour >_>

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I don't care if Ness is gone since I never found him appealing. Lucas seems more interesting than Ness, so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems to be.

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
I'm going with the "Lucas is to Ness what Luigi is to Mario" theory, but I will admit the chances seem very, very slim...

...Maybe I'm just hanging on to that hope because I fear Dr. Mario being removed from the roster... ... ...

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I'm calling it right now.

Ness will be confirmed tomorrow.

THIS IS A MINDGAME!!!!1

*goes mad*

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
By the way, Lucas is looking more like SSB64's Ness with the longer PK Thunder reach, which is much better than SSBM's Ness, IMO.

...the chances are getting slimmer... ... ...

LOL!! @ Lucas Kirby!

Noshiee

Smash Ace
There is no next installment. Sakurai said this is his final smash (heh)

It's from MOTHER3. It's not Lucas', though. In a castle in the 3rd chapter, you use the snake to cross gaps.

And to everyone saying Lucas is basically just a different looking Ness, you're dead wrong. I'll compare.

Lucas- He talks, LEARNS PSI; he isn't born with it, I think, he has much different attacks, he has a completely different moveset (IN MOTHER3)

Ness-NEVER talks, has PSI from the start.

This is like saying Mario and Luigi are the same but with a model change. They aren't the same. (well, this example kind of sucks, but mario and luigi are not EXACTLY the same)
actually Ness and Lucas moveset in Mother is exactly the same with some minor differences, PK Love/Rockin being the same thing, Pk Flash, the sheilds, the power ups, etc.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Adverb: until now ún'til naw
Used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time
- so far, thus far, up to now, hitherto, heretofore, as yet, yet, til now

IE
Jigglypuff was an unlockable up until now, and will always remain that way.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
2marrow will deff be a newcomer can anyone say ridely, or that animal crossing character i wouldnt like that update to much idt its not a veteran tho theres one more spot 4 newcomers to fill and the veteran boxes are already filled

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
People arent going to accept that ness is gone until theres an update that says "NESS IS NOT IN BRAWL!" and even then there will be speculations that ness could still be in brawl..

Fawriel

Smash Master
Adverb: until now ún'til naw
Used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time
- so far, thus far, up to now, hitherto, heretofore, as yet, yet, til now

IE
Jigglypuff was an unlockable up until now, and will always remain that way.
Doesn't the little word "negative" bother you a little?

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't the little word "negative" bother you a little?
not really

given a synonym use

So far Ness has been in the Smash Bros series, and it will remain that way.
Ness was playable thus far, so it was obvious for us to include him.
The character Ness from previous Smash series has been playable up to now, but Lucas uses similar moves.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Only reading one post in this thread (the first one), I officially call every other post besides that one saying Ness is either confirmed or disconfirmed bull****, including this one.

Thank you.

Now, I believe that this actually confirms Ness to a greater degree that was previously. Reason? None.

Top Bottom