• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's Hopeless

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
lol epic. but seriously... ROB is just a fun dude. never drop him. just use all the tools he has (he does have a lot of them) and do it big.... i may not place great in tournaments, but i do have fun, and i do decently when i doont have to play God Kais back to back

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Thats my exp too

I have 2 people i know play ROB and they are so XD
Of course I have the right to complain at a MU that does not determine player skill but character issues.

It is my honest opinion that you should all stop being so negative.

That means you, Jumpman.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well yeah lol. You have to, y'know, press B a lot. And we can glide toss too; sometimes we have to do stuff after glide tossing.

lol. well this is all basicaly opinion, so it's w/e

woooooow since when is this a sticky? kek

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Just because the MK matchup is bad (WE ALL KNOW JUST HOW BAD), does not mean we can't break out of preconceived notions that ROB cannot win.
Keep your head straight, you'll be fine.
I go even with Masky's MK and he was on the FL PR. (Granted that was for Wario, but he plays both now)

ROB takes skill and intelligence, something quite a few smashers seem to be lacking.

8Bitman

Smash Master
^^^ LMFAO!!!!! ^^^

Honestly, there is no point in discussing this thread anymore. MK is one of the hardest MU's in the game for R.O.B and in the end, the better player wins in tourney's. I have ***** multiple MK's i tourney and in friendlies before. But when I fight MK's like Seibrik's... There is no point. You don't even have to know the MU, you just have to be flat out aggressive against R.O.B.

In professional offline play, there is no time to lazor a Nado, there is no time to get out a Gyro in time to have it in your hands, unless you just killed them. R.O.B has to be played differently in the MK MU.

MK can be beat, but trust me, you can't have fun in this MU if you want to win:

Planking is essential.

F-air mindgames/spacing is essential.

Camping the edge with Gyro when he is off the edge is essential.

When MK is off the edge in general lazor must be used to either rack up % or make them fall.

And try to F-tilt when they approach on the ground. It does what I like to call "Shut-up". =3

I am not a pro in this MU, but I know that if you want to win hard MU's you can't have the greatest time in the world with it ya know.

After learning the Falco MU from Xaltis, I learned that you can't always do R.O.B shenanigans or fun AT's to win. It doesn't work like that. I hate it when I see people secondary R.O.B and just Side-Step -> D-smash 90% of the match. Although R.O.B does have that luxury in the MK MU.

Unlike most Characters R.O.B has the perfect timed Side-Step against MK, because it works when you are in the "MK Dsmash trap". Or in other words when MK goes up to you and you two are just standing awkwardly there waiting to see who reacts first. Side-Step -> Dsmash is also very essential in this MU, but don't abuse it every two seconds, sidesteps become easily read, and so do rolls.

OH YEAH!!! NO ROLLING!!! OR RANDOM SIDESTEPPING!!!
NOAW STFU ABOUT THIS MU!!! IT'S NOT FUN!!! I HATE IT!!!

..... We all hate it....

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Max,
I've never played you in tourney.
And If I did, it was so long ago, it didn't even matter.
I guess I count stuff that I shouldn't
MY BAAAAAD.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I have ***** multiple MK's i tourney and in friendlies before. But when I fight MK's like Seibrik's... There is no point.
Maybe you should ask him how my MM with him went at Genesis. Mwahaha ([^^]

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
I love maining ROB <3 But I know I have to pick up another character or 2 on other MUs that matter. But I have the most fun with ROB. He really is my Buddy!!!! Screw MKs Im happy that my scene does not have many of them.

Drake12

Smash Ace
I recently had probably Canada's best yoshi come to Nova Scotia for our tournament, he sweeped our whole community except me. He beat our #1,2 and 3rd best players along with many others.
I went rob 2-0d him in a set, later was up 2-0 in another set just for him to go MK and sweep me -_-
It's pointless and debatably enough to make me either pick up MK or quit, I'm 5th in my province and was able to beat his yoshi 4 times only for MK to clean house.
It's pointless.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I recently had probably Canada's best yoshi come to Nova Scotia for our tournament, he sweeped our whole community except me. He beat our #1,2 and 3rd best players along with many others.
I went rob 2-0d him in a set, later was up 2-0 in another set just for him to go MK and sweep me -_-
It's pointless and debatably enough to make me either pick up MK or quit, I'm 5th in my province and was able to beat his yoshi 4 times only for MK to clean house.
It's pointless.
Altho I know it's tough, I completely disagree.
It isn't pointless and it's probably just where you're unfamiliar with the MU. MK makes you switch your playstyle up a great deal. No it isn't fair, but it definitely isn't pointless.
Even the person who began this thread would agree.
I wish you the best and keep repping ROB<3

Drake12

Smash Ace
Altho I know it's tough, I completely disagree.
It isn't pointless and it's probably just where you're unfamiliar with the MU. MK makes you switch your playstyle up a great deal. No it isn't fair, but it definitely isn't pointless.
Even the person who began this thread would agree.
I wish you the best and keep repping ROB<3
Theres a difference between pointless and hopeless.
I know it's not hopeless, it is possible to beat and I'm aware of that.
Pointless meaning 'whats the point?' Why bother trying with Rob when you could pick up and number of other characters and do so much better and have a way better shot at winning.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Theres a difference between pointless and hopeless.
I completely agree.

I know it's not hopeless, it is possible to beat and I'm aware of that.
Pointless meaning 'whats the point?' Why bother trying with Rob when you could pick up and number of other characters and do so much better and have a way better shot at winning.
It isn't pointless to me because I see ROB's potential, as do a few others, to be a strong force in smash. He is absolutely underdeveloped imo and when I fight MK, I'm never like "auto lose!" I'm more like "aah, a MU that I've played more than any other and one I'm comfortable with it." With your logic, everyone should tier wh**e. Or at least that's how I'm taking it. For me, I play ROB because he's always felt natural and fun for me, and I think he could be a much better character if people had more of an incentive to help improve his metagame rather than get discouraged.

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
This MU is winnable while the MK doesn't know the MU ... :V

Personally, I play ddk (my second) in this MU and it's immediately easier :p
But I am lucky because in France there aren't as many MKs as in US.

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
I know you try to convince ROB mainers that this MU isn't that bad, but I really think that. (not unwinnable obviously but very very hard)

But I agree with you, ROB still has a lot of potential and he can get better :bee:

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Mister Eric; realize the fact that everyone isn't like you. If people think this MU is bad, then fine, but feel lucky that at least you have hope for this unwinnable MU, literally. R.O.B. just sucks against Meta Knight period.

Steam

Smash Hero
my lucario had a problem beating bees.

THEN I WENT MK.

THEN HE LEARNED THE MATCHUP

THEN I MOVED ON TO SNAKE

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm just countering this thread by saying it isn't hopeless. Which Chibo would counter himself nowadays. This is just a classic thread. I was hoping we'd all grown out of this pessimistic slump by now, but I guess not.
A statement made in the Tournament Discussion thread b/c I mistakened it for this one.
But yeah...
Never said MK wasn't bad. Never said it was a breeze for me. Never said to not pick up a character for him. Do as you like, but take your pessimism elsewhere because it really isn't that bad. I actually enjoy the MU and you guys prob could if you didn't blind yourself with the idea that MK is who he is. I'd rather this thread be about D3 than MK. lmao

Drake12

Smash Ace
A statement made in the Tournament Discussion thread b/c I mistakened it for this one.
But yeah...
Never said MK wasn't bad. Never said it was a breeze for me. Never said to not pick up a character for him. Do as you like, but take your pessimism elsewhere because it really isn't that bad. I actually enjoy the MU and you guys prob could if you didn't blind yourself with the idea that MK is who he is. I'd rather this thread be about D3 than MK. lmao
I'd disagree, I'd call it being realistic then pessimistic. If we were being pessimistic we would say don't go ROB against any MU thats not in his favour since it's unbalanced.
Being realistic is that this MU is bull, and why would we bother trying it when there are so many alternative, easier options.
Pessimism is being down and upset on it all, we are understanding the problem and fixing it, by knowing that a secondary would be a logical option.

I shouldn't say 'we' I guess, but 'I'

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Because this is 2011.
Maybe in 2009 the MU seemed pointless. Even then, I wasn't sure how to go up against it.
But this MU is nowhere near bad enough to consider going MK or quit.

I really think a new MU write-up for MK would be nice.
I'll try to work on that.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
King Dedede over Meta Knight all day. Wished I had the same view on the MU as Mister Eric, but no. Perhaps I'm too realistic. =/

8Bitman

Smash Master
I actually feel the exact opposite with the whole time thing.

I feel the MK MU got harder as the years went on. Not easier Mr. Eric. I used to like fighting MK's now I just hate it.

Drake12

Smash Ace
You just seem to be a huge optimist over here. There is no reason to try and make it work. Why would a DK main try DK against DDD when he could just pick a secondary?

The match up is really tough and stupid no matter how you cut it, over the years it has gotten no easier and perhaps harder.
I'm sorry but there is no facts or reason to believe that this is an 'underdevelloped' MU. What makes you believe that we simply need to learn how to make it work...especially after the games been out for three and a half years.

And yes, I over reacted when I said I'd quit, I won't, I was just pissed.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
You just seem to be a huge optimist over here. There is no reason to try and make it work. Why would a DK main try DK against DDD when he could just pick a secondary?

The match up is really tough and stupid no matter how you cut it, over the years it has gotten no easier and perhaps harder.
I'm sorry but there is no facts or reason to believe that this is an 'underdevelloped' MU. What makes you believe that we simply need to learn how to make it work...especially after the games been out for three and a half years.

And yes, I over reacted when I said I'd quit, I won't, I was just pissed.
DK/DDD is close to even when standing and walking CGs are banned. Just sayin.

Drake12

Smash Ace
DK/DDD is close to even when standing and walking CGs are banned. Just sayin.
uhh...unless I missed some huge memo I don't believe thats true at all. It's -4 bro...that equals about 80-20. In virtually every single community at LEAST walking CG's are legal. I have yet to hear of a community where it isn't they are in the unity ruleset and in every huge tournament like Apex.
Even with that hardly anything at all is safe on shield, and he can camp the balls off of ya.

Top Bottom