• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is your marth getting stale (predictable...) ?

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
If your marth is getting stale, and you can't seem to kill your friends like you used to back i the day, try:

picking a completely different character to play with for like 4 days. (I did DDD) and come back to marth. Youll be SURPRISED how diferent you approach the whole game and how different you play with marth. (youl feel rusty a first, but youll get your rhythm back)

playing with a totally diffenet character for several days changes your mindset and your mindgames. It makes you better at figthing games (or just Brawl) in GENERAL, as opposed to just being good at Brawl only with marth. That general wisdom (sweet science) is WAY better than character specific stuff... it worked for me!

{Edit 05-05-08}:
Omg! I cant believe i forgot this!

Seriously, i completely forgot about this thing i do:

When youre playing with friends (training) use all of your moves and play like normal, but FACE ONE DIRECTION FOR THE ENTIRE BATTLE. what im saying is, fight the whole fight but try to keep your character facing one direction the whole time.

What this does is it puts you in AKWARD situations. Like if you choose to face the right and your opp is one the left, you have to bair him or do something else. (as opposed to just turning around and smashing them) see, now you cant just run towards the left, you have to short hop your way to your opp. (gets u accustomed to the sensitivity of the turn around land)

CREATIVITY is what its all about.

Seriously, do this and you will becpme VERY familiar with your char. (Change directions every other battle or so...)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
May I suggest you try Wario then? :grin: I main him, with Marth as my sub (and fooling with Gdorf), and it works wonders for me. :p

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
To cut back on unpredictability and making moves stale, use ALL or most of marth's moves. They all have some sort of use and mixing them up works well (be carefull about the dash attack tho). If anything mix up your short hop attacks (ex: fair to dancing blade, fair to dancing blade)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I already play a lot of characters, and my Marth game wasn't stale, however I still reinvigorated it, so I'll spread the advice to you all.

Try fighting level 9 computers without use of the B button OR aerial attacks. You'll find WONDERS with how abusable Marth's tilts are, and realize how much you were missing. Also, it will make you realize all new ways to fix that pesky move depletion. When you put the new style you develop, together with your Fair, Nair, Side B spam, you'll notice that you'll be a MUCH better and less predictable player.

While I'm here, I'll note that Marth's dash attack is an interesting and often overlooked EDGEGUARD option for people that aren't recovering from too low.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
For backslash and aura, he didn't mean stale as in decay for weapon damage. He meant predictable as it says in the title xD

But, I agree with this. It really does help, not only to use your marth, but to play against other characters because you gain a lot of insights on the frustrations that OTHER styles have. Because of this, I recommend pt trainer. He's very underated, but if you learn to play all 3 of the pokemon, you really begin to understand 3 framework play styles, how others tend to get around them, and what your marth can do to simulate what worked against you =]

undyinglight

Smash Journeyman
Stay unpredictable mix things up to confuse and throw your opponent off. Although I have never considered myself to be to predictable it is good to use all characters just to experiment with, the more insight you have on your opponent the greater the benefit will be to you.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Try fighting level 9 computers without use of the B button OR aerial attacks. You'll find WONDERS with how abusable Marth's tilts are, and realize how much you were missing. Also, it will make you realize all new ways to fix that pesky move depletion. When you put the new style you develop, together with your Fair, Nair, Side B spam, you'll notice that you'll be a MUCH better and less predictable player.
This guy knows what he's talking about. Playing Marth is what made me use Wario's air attacks more. Try this ****, it's great.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
For backslash and aura, he didn't mean stale as in decay for weapon damage. He meant predictable as it says in the title xD

But, I agree with this. It really does help, not only to use your marth, but to play against other characters because you gain a lot of insights on the frustrations that OTHER styles have. Because of this, I recommend pt trainer. He's very underated, but if you learn to play all 3 of the pokemon, you really begin to understand 3 framework play styles, how others tend to get around them, and what your marth can do to simulate what worked against you =]
Yea, I knew he was talking about predictability. What i was saying is the more moves you use, the less likely they will be able to predict them.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
i love the whole "play CPUs with no aerial or b moves". Its really helpful. It opens up your game more.

Marth tilts = broken
and like evreyone has already said, shieldbreaker has a lot of potential

Mike35

Smash Cadet
I like that idea. To add to that and keep with the theme of trying new characters, I'd recommend playing Bowser for a while. Bowser has some amazing jabs and tilts, and is excellent when walking (NOT necessarily dashing) and throwing an Ftilt or a similar move. He's slow and he forces you to slow down your game a bit, but he can be effective.

With his range, Marth can pull off a similar style at times IMO, although many Marth players I've seen seem very aggressive 100% of the time and that's one of the things that can get predictable. Try playing like Bowser once in a while. Seriously. :p

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
use different moves!!
be less aggresive
at one point spike like mad and then dont spike at all

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice

When youre playing with friends (training) use all of your moves and play like normal, but FACE ONE DIRECTION FOR THE ENTIRE BATTLE. what im saying is, fight the whole fight but try to keep your character facing one direction the whole time.

What this does is it puts you in AKWARD situations. Like if you choose to face the right and your opp is one the left, you have to bair him or do something else. (as opposed to just turning around and smashing them)

Seriously, do this and you will becpme VERY familiar with your char. (Change directions every other battle or so...)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
An interesting idea, but I'm skeptical if it will accomplish the goal you're seeking to accomplish(i.e. changing up your moves). If anything, it limits your options and makes you more predictable because once your opponent will catch on(that, well you haven't FACED THEM for half the battle >>) it's really easy to tell that all they have to do is get behind you and you can only bair or try and jump over them.

Also, what if you're recovering in the direction opposite to where you're supposed to face? >>

Creative idea, but not sure it will accomplish anything =\

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
It's a good idea once in a bit, but less important for Marth. Other characters such as Mario should take advantage of this when the b air is much more effective than the f air.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
obviously if youre trying to get back on stage, you gotta do what you gotta do

but what i was saying was that it makes your familiar with controling your character in akward situations and it makes you creative

but youre right. It does have many limitations wuith regards to usefulness. Theres lots of cool things you could do though, this is one of them.

I dont even do it in seriuos matches, only when im playing with my scrub friends.

oh yeah, marths dancing blade = SUPER BROKEN!!

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
im at school, but before i leave, one question:

What do you guys think about fighting cpus? I mean theres that whole issue with it messing up your gameplay and mindgames

Do any of yall play cpus on a regular basis? What level?

just curious...

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Naw, fight level 3's. That's usually the standard. Levels 3's have a RELATIVELY human reaction time and act as sandbags with a bit of DI. And, they'll keep you honest. If you keep trying out a technique, sooner or later they attack you during your lag time. Basically, if you actually take a hit from one, it's a good indication that you need to rethink what you just did =]

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
I would have to second the level 3 ai a perfect setting for improving or learning a new character too.

meepxzero

Smash Master
how can marth be predictable with all the weirdass options he has -_-. Id imagine sumone like snake/metaknight having more of a stale predictable style.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
how can marth be predictable with all the weirdass options he has -_-. Id imagine sumone like snake/metaknight having more of a stale predictable style.
agreed...dsmash out of shield, ftilt out of shield...its so good though

What this does is it puts you in AKWARD situations. Like if you choose to face the right and your opp is one the left, you have to bair him or do something else. (as opposed to just turning around and smashing them)

...laughing out loud...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
This will sound ridiculous but i will propose it anyway. Taunting is actually a good mind game if done smart. The side effect of taunting in a relatively serious match, or one you are winning, is that you make your opponent mad and a little more agressive (provided they don't taunt back in your face). A more agressive opponent allows you to spam counter. Do the fastest taunt, I don't know which, at a good distance away. If the character doesn't have a projectile (Ike, MK, etc) they will have to rush in to punish you, and if your taunt lag wears off early enough, you score a free counter or other quick attack of your choice.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
ill say i always fight lv 3 cpus when im not playing my buddies. The perfect sandbag.

(laugh out loud?)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ Agreed, I love your "This is a taunt" taunt. I think I am going to put a header for my taunt that says, "This is NOT a mindgame" but I am also debating other variations such as "This is a mindgame," "This is a mindgame?" "This is not (or "NOT") a mindgame?" Or maybe even "Mindgame this is not?" But I am not sure yet.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
^^ Agreed, I love your "This is a taunt" taunt. I think I am going to put a header for my taunt that says, "This is NOT a mindgame" but I am also debating other variations such as "This is a mindgame," "This is a mindgame?" "This is not (or "NOT") a mindgame?" Or maybe even "Mindgame this is not?" But I am not sure yet.
lol, mind if i copy you? those are awesome.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
This will sound ridiculous but i will propose it anyway. Taunting is actually a good mind game if done smart. The side effect of taunting in a relatively serious match, or one you are winning, is that you make your opponent mad and a little more agressive (provided they don't taunt back in your face). A more agressive opponent allows you to spam counter. Do the fastest taunt, I don't know which, at a good distance away. If the character doesn't have a projectile (Ike, MK, etc) they will have to rush in to punish you, and if your taunt lag wears off early enough, you score a free counter or other quick attack of your choice.
The taunt where marth brings up his sword with the small sparkle at the tip(side taunt I think?) is actually the exact same animation that he uses for his final smash. Granted most legit players don't actually use smash balls, it's fun as hell to see people jump then and just wait for them to land before doing it =]

And I suppose you could use that taunt to simulate an upward smash? Too bad the taunt lasts too long to make it effective xD

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Oh yeah you can copy them, it's no problem. What is a problem however, is that I don't know how to change or add or modify any of my wi-fi stuff. (I know it sounds really noobish but it's true.)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Lol. My brother invented that one. Mine is "you just got dunked" just in case i spike someone. (perfect taunt to spam afterwards). We get creative with our taunts just because we can. Feel free to borrow or modify any ones you like.:)

P.S. I like the the idea of "this is not a mindgame". My next taunt probably will be "this isn't a taunt" (i love the irony):chuckle:. To change taunts, just go to your friend roster and move up on the list to select yourself. From there you can change taunts.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ All right, thank you very much, I will probably go modify it right now.

EDIT: It doesn't fit by two letters, if you change "is not" to "isn't" it works.

I am now going to make a distracting one like "What time is it?"

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
LOL, my down taunt is : Its in the basement! :) In case I spike someone.
Then my side taunt is just : PWNED! (Works great against my friend, he gets pissed and starts doing irrational things!)
Up taunt is: You have to recover! (Usually after I gimp someone :) )
And side taunt is : FINISH HIM! (Thats when I break the shield, because in mortal kombat after you finish the other opponents HP they stay there stunned just like they do in brawl so you can do your fatality, and there are bloody letters saying; FINISH HIM!)

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
The taunt where marth brings up his sword with the small sparkle at the tip(side taunt I think?) is actually the exact same animation that he uses for his final smash. Granted most legit players don't actually use smash balls, it's fun as hell to see people jump then and just wait for them to land before doing it =]

And I suppose you could use that taunt to simulate an upward smash? Too bad the taunt lasts too long to make it effective xD
I swear I was just talking to my friend about that at today school also. He said he never even noticed it till i mentioned it, so i assume it is safe to try (he thinks it won't work now that i told him). The goal is to trick them into Up+b-ing so they're vulnerable, then go for the kill. If someone makes this work, post so i can give you kudos.;)

I have fun with my taunts sometimes and do "combo taunts". The first one I made was "wait a sec" in case i had to go do something but i pressed it on accident then did my "you just got dunked" taunt afterwards. When i realized what i just did i lmao:laugh:. "Wait a sec" combos well into almost any custom taunt.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Real quick: i was playing last night and training with my lil bro, and we played like 20 matches. He won 2.

Why did this happen? Cuz his approach was the simplest and most predictable thing in the world: run up and dash attack.

THATS ALL HE DID. What im sayin is, if any of you need help with not sucking, mix up your approaches.
My lil bro is not a bad player, but he just doesn't think very deeply, his thoughts are very linear when playing brawl.

So all im sayin is, dont run up and dash always (seems kinda dumb but you'd be surprised how many people do this and how many times good players loose cuz they cant counter a simple dash attack by jumping back and fairing ther @$$es)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Honestly, you shouldn't be dash attacking that often anyways >> You can do it to mix it up a bit, but the lag time after the attack is pretty slow so it's hard to really chase them. But you can apply this the same way to approaching with SH fairs. Instead, try approaching a few times with SH shieldbreaker, or dancing blade. Hell, even a FULL jump fair could throw them off. And if their damage is high enough, one-shot em with a RAR(reverse aerial rush i.e. bair)

Top Bottom