• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any character your happy didn't make it.

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
And ROB did? As Sakurai explained at GDC, terms of significance play a small, almost non-existant role, in which characters become playable.

I dont remember Sakurai saying that...and if he did it contradicts brawl's roster. Why put in Ike instead of Boyd....because of signifcance! Why Luigi instead of toad?...toon Link instead of Lineback....
significance obviously does matter. I think we can all agree ROB is a special case since hes not even a game character.

VacantShadow

Smash Cadet
I have no problems with the characters as of now. The following characters were found partially programmed in the disc though, Pichu, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, Roy, Young Link, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/Sheik, and Plulse & Minun. I'm glad some characters didn't make it though, we don't need more model swapped characters.

Marzy

Smash Cadet
I think he would have been a good charcter to play with, but I'm happy that Megaman didn't make it, as I didn't want to many 3rd party characters in it.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Geno and krystal i hate them both because geno looks stupid and krystal is from my most hated fanchise XD

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
And ROB did? As Sakurai explained at GDC, terms of significance play a small, almost non-existant role, in which characters become playable. In other words, Sakurai actually didn't tie all that much meaning to the term "All Star."
ROB is important to Nintendo History. Geno is not.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dont remember Sakurai saying that...and if he did it contradicts brawl's roster. Why put in Ike instead of Boyd....because of signifcance! Why Luigi instead of toad?...toon Link instead of Lineback....
significance obviously does matter. I think we can all agree ROB is a special case since hes not even a game character.
Obviously most of the characters have signficance attached to them but it's not like Sakurai was constantly putting them on a scale against other characters. Like I've said in other threads, he spent an average of 2 days deciding the roster and all the characters were either those left on the cutting room floor for Melee, did fairly well in the Melee poll, or were added out of "obligation." Really, most of us thought, myself included, that Sakurai actually sat down and compared the significance of the most popular characters of particular franchises together but that just wasn't the case.

"ROB is important to Nintendo History. Geno is not."

ROB is not important to Nintendo's history and chances are you adopted this idealogy simply out of the "grief" of Bowser Jr or someone else not becoming playable. Seriously, probably 95% of the people who have adopted this train of thought were loyal attenders of particular character support threads and I can even think of a few people from the Geno Alliance who responded to his appearance this way.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is how I respond to things because it keeps things organized and its easier to read compared to "floating rebuttals."
And this is why I don't like that form of reply. It really is inconvenient when I use quote function. Nobody likes going back and forth with cut and paste. ^

I'm too lazy to sort through everything, but whatever...

Jigglypuff was important on the Pokemon anime. R.O.B. saved video games. Nuff said. Geno matters only for SMRPG. >_>

And if you argue there is too much Mario representation in Brawl, Geno certainly is excessive. Mario himself is in fact extremely underrated in the competitive scene. Not many people main him in most multiplayer games. It's a sad fact of life. It's a pity really, because he and his main company are literally the best video game characters ever. Geno can't truly hold a candle to the well established position the playable Mario characters have. If you're going to say he does, that's literally insulting them. It's something Mario doesn't need when he doesn't have nearly enough mains to support him.

And quite frankly, your reasoning that games are good because a lot of people play them is wrong. A game is good when it has decent variety, and the challenge factor isn't lame. SMB1 doesn't have those qualities.

If you're going to say Geno is unique, you have to remember that Square Enix has many, many, many more characters that are even better suited to a fighting game than Geno. Square Enix does Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, both which deserve representation more than Geno does because they're much better and more significant than Super Mario RPG as a whole. As a person, I'm biased against KH, but Sora seriously would be so much more ideal than Geno if Nintendo absolutely could get permission from Square Enix. And this would ultimately be a more unique addition than another supposed Mario franchise character.

More later.

Platanos

Smash Cadet
Ridley, honestly.
He's way too big, and I'm being serious. Just look at him as a boss... There's no way he could've worked as a playable character...

YSM

Smash Apprentice
Only one I'm GLAD didn't make it is Krystal. First off, to me she reminds me of the downfall of the Star Fox series. I'm not saying she single-handedly caused it, but she showed up at the same time it started to suck. Second, we don't need furries on the smash boards. There are enough nerds oogling over ZSS, but Krystal would be crossing the line.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And this is why I don't like that form of reply. It really is inconvenient when I use quote function. Nobody likes going back and forth with cut and paste. ^

I'm too lazy to sort through everything, but whatever...

Jigglypuff was important on the Pokemon anime. R.O.B. saved video games. Nuff said. Geno matters only for SMRPG. >_>

And if you argue there is too much Mario representation in Brawl, Geno certainly is excessive. Mario himself is in fact extremely underrated in the competitive scene. Not many people main him in most multiplayer games. It's a sad fact of life. It's a pity really, because he and his main company are literally the best video game characters ever. Geno can't truly hold a candle to the well established position the playable Mario characters have. If you're going to say he does, that's literally insulting them. It's something Mario doesn't need when he doesn't have nearly enough mains to support him.

And quite frankly, your reasoning that games are good because a lot of people play them is wrong. A game is good when it has decent variety, and the challenge factor isn't lame. SMB1 doesn't have those qualities.

If you're going to say Geno is unique, you have to remember that Square Enix has many, many, many more characters that are even better suited to a fighting game than Geno. Square Enix does Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, both which deserve representation more than Geno does because they're much better and more significant than Super Mario RPG as a whole. As a person, I'm biased against KH, but Sora seriously would be so much more ideal than Geno if Nintendo absolutely could get permission from Square Enix. And this would ultimately be a more unique addition than another supposed Mario franchise character.

More later.
Okay, I'll respond like this then:

1. Jigglypuff is not important in the anime is basically an on-off gag from time to time. Also, to base Jigglypuff significance only on the anime is terrible it itself because it has nothing to do with the canonical Pokemon games.

2. Seriously, stop... ROB didn't save video games and the only reason you think he did is for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. Chances are, like nearly everyone else who has the idea, you adopted the idea from Silver777 who adopted it from a single article from Gamespy that was printed nearly 5 years ago...

3. I'm not arguing that Mario has too much representation but I am arguing that you're borderline insane if you think Mario is completely neglected.

4. Like I said earlier, is it fair to put Jigglypuff on the same plane as Pikachu and ROB on the same plane as Mr. Game and Watch. The franchise's main mascot vs a comic relief character in a few anime episodes and Nintendo's first mascot who represents Nintendo's first true video game system vs a toy that failed almost as bad as the Virtual Boy... Something's definately wrong here.

5. It's not merely the fact that a lot of people have played it. It's the fact that it is still widely acclaimed even after more then 20 years have passed and a ton of game developers still use it as a source of inspiration. I'd ask you how you feel about Tetris or Pac-man but I'm almost deathly afraid that I'd recieve the same insanely shallow answers.

6. How many of those SE characters though can claim that they actually are a Mario character and played a supporting role in a Nintendo game? Honestly, Smash Bros is overall supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo's past, present, and future so it just makes sense.

7. Also, I have nothing against Mallow's addition either but I don't know how realistic it would be to have them both playable. Really, Geno has the larger fanbase and is slightly more unique so the vote would naturally go to him.

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'll respond like this then:

1. Jigglypuff is not important in the anime is basically an on-off gag from time to time. Also, to base Jigglypuff significance only on the anime is terrible it itself because it has nothing to do with the canonical Pokemon games.

2. Seriously, stop... ROB didn't save video games and the only reason you think he did is for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. Chances are, like nearly everyone else who has the idea, you adopted the idea from Silver777 who adopted it from a single article from Gamespy that was printed nearly 5 years ago...

3. I'm not arguing that Mario has too much representation but I am arguing that you're borderline insane if you think Mario is completely neglected.

4. Like I said earlier, is it fair to put Jigglypuff on the same plane as Pikachu and ROB on the same plane as Mr. Game and Watch. The franchise's main mascot vs a comic relief character in a few anime episodes and Nintendo's first mascot who represents Nintendo's first true video game system vs a toy that failed almost as bad as the Virtual Boy... Something's definately wrong here.

5. It's not merely the fact that a lot of people have played it. It's the fact that it is still widely acclaimed even after more then 20 years have passed and a ton of game developers still use it as a source of inspiration. I'd ask you how you feel about Tetris or Pac-man but I'm almost deathly afraid that I'd recieve the same insanely shallow answers.

6. How many of those SE characters though can claim that they actually are a Mario character and played a supporting role in a Nintendo game? Honestly, Smash Bros is overall supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo's past, present, and future so it just makes sense.

7. Also, I have nothing against Mallow's addition either but I don't know how realistic it would be to have them both playable. Really, Geno has the larger fanbase and is slightly more unique so the vote would naturally go to him.
I'll agree with what you said about Jiggs, but definitley not Game & Watch... I DON'T believe that ROB was the savior of Nintendo or any of that crap, but video gaming DID start out with the Game and Watch games, so don't compare the two. Kinda different.

Namenlos

Smash Rookie
I am actually glad to see that they put Wolf instead of Krystal.
There seems to be a lot of people here who love Krystal, but for me the Star Fox Adveture game was mediocre at best, and from there, they took and added her to the Star Fox universe. Not to say that Wolf is even more important in the Star Fox universe as Krystal.

You can say that she could use her staff and be more unique and I say Wolf is aready unique on his own (except for FS of course >.>)

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I don't think these be that great:
Animal Crosser
Fire Emblem characters
Isaac
Waluigi <--(hate him)
Megaman
Chibii Robo
Ashley
Ray MK(insert number here)

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
There are too many people who say this is an excellent game. It is not close to being an excellent game in anything except length and story really. The battle system sucks too much for it to be a good RPG, and that generally makes the game really repetitive considering the game's length.

You don't understand FE at all either. It's not the same genre of RPG. It is RPG strategy. It has a completely different focal point than the standard RPG we are talking about. Seriously, what were you thinking? Comparing the standard RPG to FE doesn't work the way you're trying to argue.

With Pokemon, you have massive customization options which you don't get in SMRPG. SMRPG is generally quite linear in terms of battle system. And being able to do some stuff out of battle is infinitely better than doing absolutely nothing outside of battle.

You can say a game inspired future concepts. That doesn't stop it from being a terrible game. Take SMB1. It's overall crap. The physics suck, and it makes it very easy for Mario to die, which makes the game repetitive. The game is also extremely linear. Yet it inspired Mario being able to toss around Koopa Shells and Throw Fireballs in later games, like SMB3 and then SMG which are awesome. SMRPG is not a good RPG, and nothing will change that.

Again, Geno should never stand next to Mario as a playable character. Mario himself doesn't need to be any more underrated as things are. Like not enough people use him srsly.

LMFAO. Stupid troll is very stupid. Seriously, Mario Bros = crap? Go back to your X-Box wit teh ubar grafx please, because gameplay is obviously unimportant to you.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll agree with what you said about Jiggs, but definitley not Game & Watch... I DON'T believe that ROB was the savior of Nintendo or any of that crap, but video gaming DID start out with the Game and Watch games, so don't compare the two. Kinda different.
No, that's what I'm saying. I'm fully aware that Mr. Game and Watch has a ton of significance to Nintendo but there are people who equivalate (made up word?) him with ROB. Basically, like in the case with Pikachu and Jigglypuff, you basically have two characters that are miles apart significance wise but they are still together in Smash Bros under the same categories regardless.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
as long as they are not absolutly stupid ideas like goku or master cheif... or very minor characters (like minor enemys in a game) then there is no reason why they shouldnt be in

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Wrong, video gaming started with a guy named Ralph Baer, with a system called the Brown Box.

As for Nintendo, their true start to gaming was a Clay Target Shooting game. They had several other unknown arcade games before getting started the Game and Watch handhelds, but those were the beginning of Nintendo getting into the home console and handheld markets.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm sad that Falco made the cut over Krystal, Fox - Wolf - Krystal would have been better even if Krystal was a fox clone.

Animal crosser/tom nook. Animal crossing is completely non violent, it just wouldn't work.

Shadow, Tails or Knuckles. The next sonic rep should definitely be Robotnik/Eggman.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I'm sad that Falco made the cut over Krystal, Fox - Wolf - Krystal would have been better even if Krystal was a fox clone.

Animal crosser/tom nook. Animal crossing is completely non violent, it just wouldn't work.

Shadow, Tails or Knuckles. The next sonic rep should definitely be Robotnik/Eggman.
I completely agree with the Krystal over Falco, maybe in SSB4

I still think though Tails should be included next, as he is the faithful sidekick, and my opinion is a bit biased because Tails is my favorite character from the series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Ugh... I don't even want to imagine Krystal as a Fox clone. That'd be an even bigger insult then if Wario had been a Mario clone...

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Ugh... I don't even want to imagine Krystal as a Fox clone. That'd be an even bigger insult then if Wario had been a Mario clone...
So true, but if they had her as Assault like they did with her trophy, then there would be little else that could so with her seeing as she's in complete Star Fox gear, but they could still give her her staff...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm so glad Dr. Mario didn't make it.
Well, he was expendible for obvious reasons. Sakurai basically admited himself that him, Pichu, and Roy were more or less last minute decisions and that would support why he decided to give them all the boot this time around.

Really, it may be a little early but I think some characters from Brawl will be given the boot in SSB4. I think Lucario will be replaced by a more recent pokemon, Wolf will be replaced by Krystal since he was basically the only new unlockable "clone" (relax, boys and girls, I'm using the term mildly), and Snake might be dumped simply because the final installment of the franchise is coming out later this year.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like Halo 3 will be the lst Halo? :laugh:;)

Edit: ****, double post.
Excuse the double post.

Kojima has gone out and said the MGS4 will indeed be the last game of the series and he plans on wrapping up all the loose ends in this game. I suppose there could be a sequel after that but it would be kind of pointless especially with Kojima being so attached to the series.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I used to be completely anti-Ridley and was happy that he didn't make it as a playable, but, even I would've liked to see him playable over Falco, ROB and Ike.

I'm pretty darn happy that Miis didn't make it.

Really, it may be a little early but I think some characters from Brawl will be given the boot in SSB4. I think Lucario will be replaced by a more recent pokemon, Wolf will be replaced by Krystal since he was basically the only new unlockable "clone" (relax, boys and girls, I'm using the term mildly), and Snake might be dumped simply because the final installment of the franchise is coming out later this year.
I hope that SSB4 will have a big enough roster that cutting people won't even be a realistic decision. However, if they have to cut someone to make room for Krystal, it'll be Falco, not Wolf. Wolf really isn't a clone at all aside from some unoriginal special moves and a cloned Final Smash. Falco is a clone, period. They changed one special move and in a completely ******** way, when there were millions of other good options for decloning him. IMO, he doesn't even belong in Brawl's roster as is. He's this game's Pichu; he's nothing more than roster filler.

... but at least he has a better english VA than Wolf. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I used to be completely anti-Ridley and was happy that he didn't make it as a playable, but, even I would've liked to see him playable over Falco, ROB and Ike.

I'm pretty darn happy that Miis didn't make it.
What's there to hate about Ridley? He's a freakin' dragon... from space... that's a commander of an army of pirates! Seriously, what's not to love. :laugh:

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
What's there to hate about Ridley? He's a freakin' dragon... from space... that's a commander of an army of pirates! Seriously, what's not to love. :laugh:
It's not that I hate Ridley, because I don't. But Ridley is a completely epic boss encounter and one of the most enjoyable in the Subspace Emissary (which is not a hard feat - SSE sucked), and that's the way it should be. Scaling him down to the size of Charizard and Bowser and watching him get destroyed by characters like Lucas and Jigglypuff, well, that kind of ruins how epic the guy is.

It would've kind of been like making Beast Ganon a playable character. It's a little too epic to let any noob just pick up and play.

Top Bottom