• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any character your happy didn't make it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ahh...but you agree with me that Ike was not the best that they could do. There were much more original characters than he--Micaiah and Sothe had much more potential. And, they wouldn't have had lame sword-based movesets (let's face it, did Ike really need to share Marth's counter ability?).

I knew that Lucas was intended to replace Ness long before Brawl--that still doesn't justify Sakurai's stupidity. We didn't need both Ness and Lucas. Two of essentially the same character (even the way they look) is probably the biggest cop-out in the history of SSB, next to Toon Link.

Masks Link, shouldn't have been in, either (too many **** Links), but that was the only one I might have been happy with. The thrill of playing as Zora Link would have eventually overcome my disappointment at the repetitive cycle of unoriginality. Toon Link/potatohead is the worst reincarnation of Link ever invented and I swear he will be my only punching bag in Brawl.

Back on topic: Geno bandwagoners, please stop trying to destroy what little foundations of reason that are keeping SSB alive. You have seven frickin' years before the next SSB, maybe instead of pushing for Geno as a character (which he clearly doesn't deserve at this point), you should try and get a SMRPG sequel to come out before then SO HE ACTUALLY MERITS PC STATUS. I like Geno, but he's just too **** obscure.
Once again, in many cases, I disagree with you.

Clones, whether theyre full clones or not, are meant to give different flavors to certain character's movesets, which, believe it or not, appeals to some people.

"Toon Link is the worst incarnation of link ever invented" is completely opinion and holds ABSOLUTELY no ground or good reasoning. Personally, I think WW > TP, therefore, I am a fan of TL.

As far as Ness/Lucas go, they are not even close to the same, nor are they clones in any way shape or form. Why remove Ness? He's got alot of popularity actually, and Earthbound was actually a fun game. But thats opinion, and is not the point. Ness was one of the original twelve. No point whatsoever in removing him, but Sakurai wanted Lucas in, and made Lucas quite different from Ness, so it's quite acceptable to have both.

Ike - Think of Ike as Roy coming back, but looking better, and having better moves. Michiah, magic users, meh, Zelda is unique that way. Sothe, Nintendo doesnt like the knife thing.

Therefore, Sakurai made the choices he did.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Geno

Thats about it :laugh:

Yes im a Metroid Fan and Dark Samus not being in sucks :(

Ace combat 6 music sorta helps it :(

Any ways Mario RPGS are now about Paper and Luigi :laugh:

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Once again, in many cases, I disagree with you.

Clones, whether theyre full clones or not, are meant to give different flavors to certain character's movesets, which, believe it or not, appeals to some people.

"Toon Link is the worst incarnation of link ever invented" is completely opinion and holds ABSOLUTELY no ground or good reasoning. Personally, I think WW > TP, therefore, I am a fan of TL.

As far as Ness/Lucas go, they are not even close to the same, nor are they clones in any way shape or form. Why remove Ness? He's got alot of popularity actually, and Earthbound was actually a fun game. But thats opinion, and is not the point. Ness was one of the original twelve. No point whatsoever in removing him, but Sakurai wanted Lucas in, and made Lucas quite different from Ness, so it's quite acceptable to have both.

Ike - Think of Ike as Roy coming back, but looking better, and having better moves. Michiah, magic users, meh, Zelda is unique that way. Sothe, Nintendo doesnt like the knife thing.

Therefore, Sakurai made the choices he did.
Toon Link the opinion part of my post--although there are plenty of people who agree with me that he is the ugliest and most worthless manifestation of Link. If you want a legitimate argument, then I'll repeat that we really didn't need two Links--there are other characters in multiple Zelda games. We don't need Toon Link, Masks Link, Wolf Link, or any other variation on basically the same character. This is also why we don't need Doc or Paper Mario as separate characters.

Lucasis a blonde Ness in Brawl. There is practically no difference--very minor changes in moveset mechanics, but nothing that has people saying "WOW, LUCAS IS A REALLY ORIGINAL CHARACTER." We didn't ask for him, we didn't need him, we didn't want him. Ness was enough.

We could have had more magic users, and Nintendo had better get used to people using knives and guns in FIGHTING games or it will fall behind in sales really quickly because it can only have so many swordsmen before people will realize how lame the the new additions to SSB actually are. AND SHEIK HAS A KNIFE (which I think I might have seen her use--probably not, but the point is that knives are in Brawl).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
^^

Well, sure, we dont NEED two Links, but who, lately, has been a more common manifestation, or had a better chance overall? Not Vaati, not Midna (honestly, Im glad) It was clearly all along Toon Link.

Lucas is very different from Ness, most of smash attacks are fully magical, exception being the stick. His Upsmash is very different (and hell, actually useful) compared to Ness'. Theyre not even close to the same character, and since Sakurai planned to put him in Melee, I dont see why anyone is surprised. And actually, I think there WAS a big group of people vouching for Lucas.

Nah, Shiek doesnt use the Knife, it's just decoration, whereas if Sothe was in, the knife is his weapon, and Nintendo was clearly trying to avoid Knives...for some reason.

I dunno, Im happy with Ike and Marth, theyre different enough from one another, and Ike seems really popular (I dont see what makes him more appealing as a character than Olimar, Diddy, or some others) (I was honestly surprised at Wario's poll results) but Im glad he's here. Maybe because people related fire emblem with swords after Melee, this is the reason they kept up with this trend.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
^^

Well, sure, we dont NEED two Links, but who, lately, has been a more common manifestation, or had a better chance overall? Not Vaati, not Midna (honestly, Im glad) It was clearly all along Toon Link.

Lucas is very different from Ness, most of smash attacks are fully magical, exception being the stick. His Upsmash is very different (and hell, actually useful) compared to Ness'. Theyre not even close to the same character, and since Sakurai planned to put him in Melee, I dont see why anyone is surprised. And actually, I think there WAS a big group of people vouching for Lucas.

Nah, Shiek doesnt use the Knife, it's just decoration, whereas if Sothe was in, the knife is his weapon, and Nintendo was clearly trying to avoid Knives...for some reason.

I dunno, Im happy with Ike and Marth, theyre different enough from one another, and Ike seems really popular (I dont see what makes him more appealing as a character than Olimar, Diddy, or some others) (I was honestly surprised at Wario's poll results) but Im glad he's here. Maybe because people related fire emblem with swords after Melee, this is the reason they kept up with this trend.
Skull Kid? Tingle? Midna and Vaati definitely didn't deserve it (I'm hoping for a TP sequel so Midna might have a chance), but, c'mon, TOON LINK? That's about as far from original as it can get--not even a different moveset or anything. Zelda got screwed over this time around.

Sure, change the smashes but leave the specials and FSs the same (cuz everyone knows that smashes define a character's uniqueness more than the other stuff). Lucas is a cop out, through and through. And I'm pretty certain that people who were fine with Lucas being in were only okay with that if Ness either wasn't in, or had a different moveset.

FE is more than swords, and you know it. The character choices to represent it really aren't that representative. It's almost as bad as the new FF Dissidia game coming out; they include the main character from games I-X, but unfortnately they are all blonde- or brown-haired swordsmen. Very boring. Kind of makes you realize how unoriginal series are.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Skull Kid? Tingle? Midna and Vaati definitely didn't deserve it (I'm hoping for a TP sequel so Midna might have a chance), but, c'mon, TOON LINK? That's about as far from original as it can get--not even a different moveset or anything.
Brawl took a lot of characters in the roster who had a good history.(R.O.B., G&W, and Wolf off the top of my head) This depiction of Link has appeared in several LoZ games. Appearing in multiple games, Young Link appearing in Melee, and a managable moveset in mind, they chose Toon Link. (I'm pondering what the moveset for other characters would have been, maybe it wouldn't work out for character like Tingle. Then again, *cough* R.O.B. *cough*.)

On topic, I'm glad Tingle wasn't a playable char.

6footninja

Smash Ace
not really. I dont see a big deal with having one character you dont want in the roster. we had Jiggs in melee, and I didnt complain

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
People would appreciate your opinion more if you would actually read their posts. I SAID I LIKE GENO. He just doesn't deserve a spot on Brawl. Not now, anyway. If Geno fans weren't just a bandwagon (which they sadly are) they would actually try to boost his chances for Brawl by pushing for a second SMRPG, not destroying Brawl's purpose as a union of Nintendo's "mascots" with only one game to back them up. It's a good game, but it drowns amid the tens of tens of Nintendo and Square Enix games--Geno just isn't a mascot. Yet.
You say you like Geno? Then my post isn't directed at you. When I say I don't like how some people make these personal insults to the Geno fans, and you don't do that, then I'm not talking about you.

Let me just say one thing about your post, however. Fans can collaborate in hopes of influencing a game. Why are they not allowed to influence Geno for Brawl? And if Geno cannot even get a sticker or trophy with the amount of hype they put into him, what chance does he have of being a major character in a new game?

The tired argument of Geno being in one game or two makes me shake my head when I think of Ice Climbers, Pit, Roy, Sheik, Lucas, Olimar, Toon Link, or in a sense, Marth who's never been in an American game except the Smash Brothers series.

But I digress.

All I am saying is that this topic is not just a simple listing of characters people didn't want. I'm saying a growing amount of people, and you know who you are, are using this to make cheap shots at the fans.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Mog, anyone who has been here since September last year knows why.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
You say you like Geno? Then my post isn't directed at you. When I say I don't like how some people make these personal insults to the Geno fans, and you don't do that, then I'm not talking about you.

Let me just say one thing about your post, however. Fans can collaborate in hopes of influencing a game. Why are they not allowed to influence Geno for Brawl? And if Geno cannot even get a sticker or trophy with the amount of hype they put into him, what chance does he have of being a major character in a new game?

The tired argument of Geno being in one game or two makes me shake my head when I think of Ice Climbers, Pit, Roy, Sheik, Lucas, Olimar, Toon Link, or in a sense, Marth who's never been in an American game except the Smash Brothers series.

But I digress.

All I am saying is that this topic is not just a simple listing of characters people didn't want. I'm saying a growing amount of people, and you know who you are, are using this to make cheap shots at the fans.
Ahhh...but Ice Climbers and Pit starred in their own game. Geno costarred in a spin-off of an already more popular franchise that has continued to produce Genoless games for years. Geno wasn't the beginning of Mario, and he certainly isn't the end of it. Pit starred in both of the Kid Icarus games; Geno starred in one Mario game of like seventy or so, or one Square Enix game of at least thirty--he's just too obscure. Sheik had no business being in Brawl (although I guess if she was in the preliminary development stages of TP, that's an okay excuse...), Olimar is still probably going to star in at least a few more games after the unproportional popularity the Pikmin series received. Lucas really didn't deserve to be in at all, Roy shouldn't have been in Melee, and don't even get me started on Toon Link (see Pikmin argument, though I hope Toon Link dies a swift death). If Sakurai had only added relevant characters...

I'm just saying, use a little more tact, Geno fans. Magmar, you are right: popularity will only get you so far, and Geno doesn't have enough else going for him right now. You have plenty of time before SSB4 to try and get out a SMRPG sequel or two--a much more influential way of getting Geno into SSB than spamming the boards with "ZOMFG, Geno looks so cool, I need to play as him!" Prove you're not just on the bandwagon by actually supporting and reviving his series. Until then, I don't see any reason why he deserves to be in SSB or why you deserve to play as him.

Legendary Angel

Smash Apprentice
Krystal

She's just another freaking character. Bite me.
I think she'd be awesome as long as she was wielding her staff.

I'm glad Dark Samus didn't make it; I just don't think I could continue using Samus as one of my mains if she had a clone.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
there are a number of characters i am glad didn't make it. i originally wanted krystal in, and i thought she would be an interesting choice, but then when i heard that wolf was in, and the enormous amount of people begging for krystal turned me off from her. also i'm glad pichu didn't come back. good riddance

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Because she's a completely useless character.

"I may OR may not be getting it on with a panther behind your back, Fox. I guess we're going have to wait for the next game, huh?!"

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Hm, the only one I'm glad he isn't in is Pichu, because frankly, even though he was a challenge to master, didn't really bring in any fun. He had too many disadvantages, and everyone hates him anyway. And to all those who say Pichu has long since evolved into Brawl Pikachu because his Final Smash is Volt Tackle: Who cares? (where's Raichu then, if the Pikachu we knew from Melee has evolved too). It's Pika, he's got his old stats back. No more joke characters... well, besides the obvious WTF character ROB, but at least, HE's got REAL potential and he's cool.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
Pichu was an awesome punching bag. And if your friend got cocky, he's the perfect character to humilate him with. But he was useless other than that.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Of course ^^ That's one thing which I think was a plus. But then again, I would still not like him. I imagine what it must be if Tingle had been in this game. Just about the same, I guess xD

Gedennnnn

Smash Journeyman
I think they based the character list on how well they would fit best into the SSE. Rob makes sense, Wolf over Krystal makes sense, ect. Just a theory though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The guy who said Toon Link did not star in a game is an idiot.

Toon Link = 4 Swords Adventures, Windwaker, Phantom Hourglass, etc.

Toon Link although having same moveset plays very different then Link, in melee Young Link was different as well. That being said... the one thing I wished was that Sakurai would never cut anyone including the 4 he cut for brawl. I believe once in Smash, they should always be in Smash.

Anarchist_Chase

Smash Cadet
Megaman and Geno. They were just too weird and megaman would be a sorta clone of samus and would make the game stupid.

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
Krystal
Megaman
Any more Fire Emblem characters
Bowser Jr.
Ashley
Skull Kid
Wolf Link &/or Midna

Not in order... basically Krystal at number one and everyone else tied for a distant second.
Megaman could never have made it in he isnt owned by nintendo he is owned by Capcom

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Why does everyone hate the 3rd parties, they also helped Nintendo grow into the gaming giant is is today. The third parties should representation if they deserve it. Snake deserved it, even Sonic deserved it. Megaman and even Geno deserve it. there are plenty others as well.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Megaman could never have made it in he isnt owned by nintendo he is owned by Capcom
That is the single dumbest response I have ever seen, especially for one with Sonic in his avatar.

Sonic is owned by Sega and Snake is owned by Konami. The wall is broken and 3rd parties are allowed in :psycho:

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Ok now your just a idiot sora and riku belong to playstation and Issac doesnt belong to nintendo either
Isaac was made under 2nd party conditions, so the rights are between Nintendo and Camelot. Meaning while Camelot makes him, it can only appear on Nintendo platforms. Isaac made it as an Assist Trophy, and he'll probably be playable come SSB4...

Sora and Riku had no chance though, but in their defense they did appear in a GBA game that served as a transition from 1 and 2, and the DS is about to get a game called 285/2 or something like that. The major game in the series though appear on Sony, and even the GBA game got remade and turned to awesome 3D for the PS2 in Japan.

Top Bottom