• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any character your happy didn't make it.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i am honestly glad krystal didn't make it...i am so much more happy that wolf made it in instead of her

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Krystal and Bowser Jr, lame, uncool, and not creative characters do not belong in Smash.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Im happy Krystal didn't make it in, she really didn't deserve it. The game she was in was sort of "meh" and her character was really just uninteresting, Wolf really is far more deserving(too bad he got hit with the clone bat). Im also sort of glad Ridley didn't make it in, he would probably just have been a Bowser/Charizard clone.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Actually, I wanted Blaziken in the game as much as I wanted Pokémon Trainer.

...I think he would have made a PERFECT Captain Falcon clone. Think about it.

Leave the roster alone.

Just hoping for a new smash in the near future.
I hope that there isn't one for at LEAST 7 years.

i am honestly glad krystal didn't make it...i am so much more happy that wolf made it in instead of her
So am I, I'm sorry, but Starfox 64 was the last good Starfox game.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
What's with the Krystal hate. Maybe her games weren't as good as the newer games in the opinions of the classic Star Fox players. But she holds more importance character wise now-a-days, and hers games have sold more.

Plus she's the most deserving female character not already in.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Most Japanese only character, tingle, daisy, Tom Nook (or Any AC character), Any pokemon suggested other than Mewtwo ( Or Darkrai) who didn't make it in, Dixie Kong, Kamek....probably some more...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
What's with the Krystal hate. Maybe her games weren't as good as the newer games in the opinions of the classic Star Fox players. But she holds more importance character wise now-a-days, and hers games have sold more.

Plus she's the most deserving female character not already in.
Correction, LYNDIS was the most deserving female character. Then Midna. Then Krystal..

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Correction, LYNDIS was the most deserving female character. Then Midna. Then Krystal..
I'm not sure about Lyndis, but Krystal was more well known world wide. And is a major character now for all the Star Fox games since her inclusion till the death of the franchise. Lyndis is no longer in the FE games. Midna is high up, but her character for all we know disappeared into twilight at the end of TP.

You have it backwards.

At this point it's Krystal, Midna, Lyndis, and Micaiah somewhere in there.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Well apparently Lyndis is more deserving than Krystal because at least she made it in the game ;) And Lyndis deserves it more as she was the character that introduced FE to America and she can actually, you know, FIGHT, instead of being trapped in a crystal for her entire game.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I'm glad ridley didn't make it, Megaman (absolute WORST idea), Krystal (hated the fact they added magic to star fox, just keep it straight up plane with some tank and sub fighting), and basically anyone else who didn't get in shouldn't have most of them I haven't heard of before the game anyway (pit, Ike, ROB, Lucas).

I just wish there were some other yoshi characters (but there aren't in any other game!), he was seriously the only character with the egg emblem in melee and he's so classic. My fav too.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Well apparently Lyndis is more deserving than Krystal because at least she made it in the game ;) And Lyndis deserves it more as she was the character that introduced FE to America and she can actually, you know, FIGHT, instead of being trapped in a crystal for her entire game.
Krystal is in the game, but it's not a good cameo. And Krystal fought in the beginning, and have you ever played Assault? She can fight.

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Geno.

His supporters were so darn annoying and smug and insistent that he (a very minor character) was going to be in.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi.
I thought he would be in for sure, which scared me because he's my least favorite character like ever. Wario doesn't need some stupid made up partner! The day they team up in a real game shall be a horrifying day. And unfortunately... I know it'll happen eventually.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Uh, Lyn doesn't belong in Brawl. If you know your stuff about FE, you should know she isn't a very good character at all. She's like worse than Roy, and he was a terrible FE character.

And yeah, Geno not being in Brawl is a relief. Mario doesn't need to become more underrated as things are!

Personally me, Krystal >>> Wolf. But whatever. =(

Rikuo

Smash Cadet
Krystal is in the game as a cameo in the Storfox stages, similar to Slippy and the Bunny thing (name?) back in melee. Lyndis is an AT...

The fact that Lyndis introduced FE to the Americas is actually a strong argument, but I still think Krystal is the most deserving female not already included. She has seen more combat in her games then Zelda has (something I hope Nintendo remedies in an upcoming mainstream Zelda game)... Micaiah makes less sense than Krystal, and has only been in one FE.

As far as Midna goes, it really depends on whether or not we see her in any future games. If we don't, then to me she is not a whole lot more significant than Princess Ruto or Sheik, although Midna has played a much larger role in her games than any non-Triforce wielding character in the mainstream series. If they were to pull more from the Zelda franchise, at this point she is the best one.

I think the order looks something like this:

Krystal
Lyndis
Midna
Micaiah
Dixie Kong

Personally, I would like all four of these ladies in the next game. I don't know why people are hating on Krystal and Midna so much. It makes no sense... Do you like less variety!? I hope SSB4 cranks it up to 50 characters.

Although, I am happy with Ridley as a boss, since I think it takes away from his character to scale him down. And I am soo glad Mii's didn't make it. Other then that, I don't know why people are so negative. They should come out with 2 versions of the game next time. A 50 roster version and a 4 roster version, so the people who like variety have it, and the people who like being limited in choices have that too...

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
My first question is... Do people not want these characters in from the start or do they not want them because there's a fanbase for these characters? At E3 2005 when Iwata announced a new Smash Bros. for "the Revolution", did you guys go "YES NEW SMASH BROS! But I hope Isaac/Krystal/Lyn/Bowser Jr./etc. doesn't make it"?

Keep this question in your mind as you read through my post. Do people not want these characters in the game because other people do like these characters, or do they really know the character and really know that they don't deserve a spot in the playable roster?

What's with the Isaac hate? Have any of you ever played Golden Sun? He probably has one of the most original possible movesets with different kinds of Psynergy spells for his specials. Golden Sun may not be a really big game series, but it was certainly important for Nintendo as this was one of the best classic-styled RPG after a LONG TIME on Nintendo systems.

I also don't get the Lyn hate. Marth is in as he's the first main Fire Emblem character out there, but Lyn was also a very important character as she officially introduced Fire Emblem to the world outside of Japan. I wouldn't have minded Marth, Ike, and Lyn to be in the game. Plus, you can never have too many female characters... Sakurai would have had to invent a moveset for her, but that applies to every Fire Emblem character out there as they usually only have 2 moves in the game series: a regular attack, and a critical hit, with Ike gaining a 3rd extra move due to Aether being his ultimate skill in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

Sure, we don't need another landmaster, but Krystal is different from the rest of the Star Fox gang as she has that staff from Star Fox Adventures (which was a good game if you look past the fact that it is not a Star Fox game). She could have used it for regular moves and specials, as the staff had a good number of uses in the game. I'm not too fond of her as a character in the Star Fox series, but I still think she'd be a welcome addition to Smash Bros. And of course, another female character would be awesome.

Again, why the Geno hate? He's a pretty popular character coming from a game that appeared only once. I certainly wouldn't mind him being in, and that would take care of Square's character for me, though I wouldn't have minded either Cecil, Terra, or Cloud. Sure, FF VII was never on a Nintendo system, but hey, it's a pretty popular game, which I believe to be the most popular Final Fantasy game out there. I personally don't like the game that much, but hey, it brings another 3rd party franchise to the table.

Animal Crosser would have been a fun character in my opinion. Whack someone with the Bug Catching net, trip someone with the shovel, the forward smash could be swinging the axe, plus he/she has a slingshot for projectiles. Final Smash: release Bees on everybody. See? Simple, comic, and original. It wasn't that hard thinking up a moveset for a nonviolent character. Plus, they made a STAGE for Animal Crossing. How do you put a stage in the game that no character represents? That continues to baffle me.

Lastly, the Mewtwo-Lucario thing... I didn't like Mewtwo because of his moveset. I liked him because of who he was in the Pokemon series. Mewtwo Strikes Back is still one of my favorite movies, and I really believe he deserves a spot on the roster, with a moveset that is deserving of his caliber. So anyone who says that Lucario is a good replacement for Mewtwo doesn't know Mewtwo beyond Smash Bros. Lucario will never come close to the greatness that Mewtwo was in the first generation of Pokemon. Lucario, I admit, is a good representative of the current generation of Pokemon. He's a popular pokemon, and he's pretty good in the games he appears in... But he's no Mewtwo.

I'm not saying I hate the game because these characters aren't playable. In fact, I love the current Brawl roster. I'm just saying I really don't think there's a good reason for any character to not be playable. It doesn't make sense. There's too many good characters in the Nintendo world that I can't really be happy that anyone didn't make it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dang. A lot of Geno and Midna haters and just so its clear in my first post I meant that I wanted as many characters as there could be. Theres really no one I wouldn't have been happy with.
It's a band wagon thing, at least regarding Geno and it's fairly obvious when you look at the join dates of the people that are estatic that he didn't make it. Really, as I've said in other posts, these are basically the people that said Sonic was nothing more then a pipe dream simply because they hated him and believed that Waluigi was guarenteed to be playable simply because of the supposed "Wario Bros" factor. Basically, it's a bunch of people letting out pent up frustration because he was a character that a decent number of people wanted, they didn't understand why or let alone even know who he was and thus he OBVIOUSLY shouldn't be in Smash Bros. Keep in mind these are also the people that argue that Geno's significance is laughable while Jigglypuff has done more then her fair share to earn a spot in Smash Bros. :ohwell:

Also, the only characters I'm glad that didn't become playable are Tingle, Daisy, and Pac-Man.

"I more or less see Ridley as a palette swap of Charizard honestly, except with a different BV."

Let me guess, you also think Megaman would be nothing more then a minature Samus? :ohwell: Your inability to tell the difference between the two characters is apalling...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm just saying I really don't think there's a good reason for any character to not be playable. It doesn't make sense. There's too many good characters in the Nintendo world that I can't really be happy that anyone didn't make it.
Wow, that's faulty logic right there. Some characters really are not ideal at all. >_>

And the reason I don't want characters in. Like Geno for one, it actually looks really wrong to put him playable next to Mario. I'm a huge Mario fan here, and I really think it's an insult to Mario if Geno were playable, and we seriously don't need Mario himself to be more underrated as things are. It's like putting in a Paper Mario party member as playable, which nobody wants. And Geno is like....unbelievably overrated, just like the game he came from. He's really not all that good.

Or for Lyn's case, it's because there are several better characters that could be put in her place, and games have limited space, and you don't want them to become overly repetitive. Lyn is like the worst possible rep from her universe when Hector and Eliwood exist. Lyn btw is a lot like what Marth is right now if you think about it. Clones = bad. Likewise...I really wanted Krystal over Wolf.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, that's faulty logic right there. Some characters really are not ideal at all. >_>

And the reason I don't want characters in. Like Geno for one, it actually looks really wrong to put him playable next to Mario. I'm a huge Mario fan here, and I really think it's an insult to Mario if Geno were playable, and we seriously don't need Mario himself to be more underrated as things are. It's like putting in a Paper Mario party member as playable, which nobody wants. And Geno is like....unbelievably overrated, just like the game he came from. He's really not all that good.
Are you kidding, SMRPG is easily one of the most underrated Mario games. Also, in that game, Geno was all around the best character stat wise.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Are you kidding, SMRPG is easily one of the most underrated Mario games. Also, in that game, Geno was all around the best character stat wise.
No, it is overrated if Geno can have a fanbase. The battle system especially is mundane and repetitive. The out of battle elements do not include party members. Geno being statistically the best means nothing for him being in Brawl. It just means he does well in a mundane battle system. He is still just a party member who can't do anything out of battle.

The real underrated game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It is literally the best RPG game ever (the ONLY bad thing about it is maybe it is a little bit easy), and nobody seems to acknowledge that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, it is overrated if Geno can have a fanbase. A game is overrated because people like a particular character in it... You are aware of what you just said right? The battle system especially is mundane and repetitive. And yet it was the game that basically set the basic mechancies for every other Mario RPG following it. What about the concept of Star collecting, a feature of nearly every Mario canon game afterwards, where do you think that came from? What about the concept of flower points and equipping badges/pins? Should I also mention that SMRPG was basically the first major joint project between Nintendo and a third party? If you look at all the Nintendo spinoffs and joint projects now, it's more then obvious how significant that is. The out of battle elements do not include party members. Geno being statistically the best means nothing for him being in Brawl. It just means he does well in a mundane battle system. He is still just a party member who can't do anything out of battle. And neither can Marth and Ike in their respective games and the pokemon have limited abilities outside of battle, what's your point?

The real underrated game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. It is literally the best RPG game ever (the ONLY bad thing about it is maybe it is a little bit easy), and nobody seems to acknowledge that.
How can it be underrated when it got a true sequel no more then 3 years after it was released while SMRPG hasn't had a true sequel and its been about 12 years...

"Geno & Megaman"

Like I said, bandwagon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How can it be underrated when it got a true sequel no more then 3 years after it was released while SMRPG hasn't had a true sequel and its been about 12 years...
There are too many people who say this is an excellent game. It is not close to being an excellent game in anything except length and story really. The battle system sucks too much for it to be a good RPG, and that generally makes the game really repetitive considering the game's length.

You don't understand FE at all either. It's not the same genre of RPG. It is RPG strategy. It has a completely different focal point than the standard RPG we are talking about. Seriously, what were you thinking? Comparing the standard RPG to FE doesn't work the way you're trying to argue.

With Pokemon, you have massive customization options which you don't get in SMRPG. SMRPG is generally quite linear in terms of battle system. And being able to do some stuff out of battle is infinitely better than doing absolutely nothing outside of battle.

You can say a game inspired future concepts. That doesn't stop it from being a terrible game. Take SMB1. It's overall crap. The physics suck, and it makes it very easy for Mario to die, which makes the game repetitive. The game is also extremely linear. Yet it inspired Mario being able to toss around Koopa Shells and Throw Fireballs in later games, like SMB3 and then SMG which are awesome. SMRPG is not a good RPG, and nothing will change that.

Again, Geno should never stand next to Mario as a playable character. Mario himself doesn't need to be any more underrated as things are. Like not enough people use him srsly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There are too many people who say this is an excellent game. It is not close to being an excellent game in anything except length and story really. The battle system sucks too much for it to be a good RPG, and that generally makes the game really repetitive considering the game's length.

You don't understand FE at all either. It's not the same genre of RPG. It is RPG strategy. It has a completely different focal point than the standard RPG we are talking about. Seriously, what were you thinking? Comparing the standard RPG to FE doesn't work the way you're trying to argue.

It could be argued that Pokemon isn't exactly your standard RPG either. The point is that you argue that if a character doesn't have any attack functions outside of battle should not be in Smash Bros. If you want to extend your logic even farther, Captain Falcon and Fox should have never been considered given the nature of their respective franchises.

With Pokemon, you have massive customization options which you don't get in SMRPG. SMRPG is generally quite linear in terms of battle system. And being able to do some stuff out of battle >>>>> doing absolutely nothing outside of battle.

See first comment.

You can say a game inspired future concepts. That doesn't stop it from being a terrible game. Take SMB1. It's overall crap. You know, despite it basically being the blue print for every other platformer that followed it and being dubbed one of the best games of all time, time and time again in the past 20 years... :ohwell: How much more apparent do you want to make it that you're judging SMRPG simply based on YOUR experience with the game? It's like saying that just I don't like the Godfather, it completely sucks and is a cinematic mess with no artistic qualities what-so-ever. Screw the fact that it won a ton of Oscars and how people have been raving about it for decades, it still sucks... The physics suck, and it makes it very easy for Mario to die, which makes the game repetitive. The game is also extremely linear. Yet it inspired Mario being able to toss around Koopa Shells and Throw Fireballs in later games, like SMB3 and then SMG which are awesome. SMRPG is not a good RPG, and nothing will change that.
Define a good RPG. Really, what is so completely God Awful about SMRPG. A simplisitc story? At least it was the first Mario game that had a complete plot and, low and behold, character development. Repetative at times? Even RPGs like Chrono Trigger had this problem. The fact that uphold it above a game you like more? Golly Gee Wilikers, I think I've come to the root of the problem... Really, this explains your hatred of Geno in a nutshell. People like SMRPG and remember it fondly and there's a decent amount of demand for a sequel, but, despite the fact that Paper Mario is far from neglected (which you seem to believe), you think it is and therefore, it's "obviously" SMRPG's fault...

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
- Geno
- Midna
- King K Rool

- Generic Final Fantasy character
- Generic Kingdom Hearts character
- Generic anime character

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Define a good RPG. Really, what is so completely God Awful about SMRPG. A simplisitc story? At least it was the first Mario game that had a complete plot and, low and behold, character development. Repetative at times? Even RPGs like Chrono Trigger had this problem. The fact that uphold it above a game you like more? Golly Gee Wilikers, I think I've come to the root of the problem... Really, this explains your hatred of Geno in a nutshell. People like SMRPG and remember it fondly and there's a decent amount of demand for a sequel, but, despite the fact that Paper Mario is far from neglected (which you seem to believe), you think it is and therefore, it's "obviously" SMRPG's fault...
Please leave your comments outside of what you quote. Just for convenience of others when they try to reply to you. >_>

I'll emphasize again, you completely don't understand how FE is separate from other RPGs. It is a completely different RPG genre from your standard RPG. Pokemon fits under the standard RPG genre. What's to argue? Yes, the standard RPG genre has variations. Pokemon still fits under it. (random battles, world map to explore where you can buy stuff and go to inns to rest for the night yo). And what kind of BS are you giving me that Fox and Falcon don't belong? They actually star a series. Geno doesn't. Mario stars SMRPG (hence the name, duh). Your point being what?

And you're going to deny that SMB1 is an outdated piece of crap? It's not a good game at all. Is it fun? Heck yes. But it still is terrible. And of course I'm judging SMRPG with my experience with the game, and I'm being as unbiased with it as possible. It is not a good RPG at all. Geno literally has less of a role in this game as Paper Mario members do in their games, yet nobody gives a **** about those.

SMRPG's story is one of the better parts about it. What are you talking about? The battle system is overrated crap and it's not a good game because of that. My problem with Geno lies in he's just a party member in a game he doesn't even star in. One time. Now you ask him to be playable. If you can't say it looks wrong for Mario and Geno to be next to each other playable, that's where the problem lies with all of these video gamers. People simply do not give Mario the respect he deserves, and it really saddens me. If you can't prioritize your Mario universe correctly, do you even deserve to be called a Nintendo fan?

And by far, I don't hate Geno. I simply argue against him being playable because he's nowhere near what people are making him out to be. I actually like playing SMRPG contrary to what you may think. I'm a freaking Mario fanboy. I don't condone Geno being put on the same level Mario is at. That's like making someone like Goombario playable in Brawl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please leave your comments outside of what you quote. Just for convenience of others when they try to reply to you. >_>

I'll emphasize again, you completely don't understand how FE is separate from other RPGs. It is a completely different RPG genre from your standard RPG. Pokemon fits under the standard RPG genre. What's to argue? Yes, the standard RPG genre has variations. Pokemon still fits under it. (random battles, world map to explore where you can buy stuff and go to inns to rest for the night yo). And what kind of BS are you giving me that Fox and Falcon don't belong? They actually star a series. Geno doesn't. Mario stars SMRPG (hence the name, duh). Your point being what? Your arguement was that if they couldn't fight outside of their franchise's context of a "battle" then they shouldn't be playable because they are obviously bland in that regard. You weren't argueing whether or not characters had enough sigificance (which is barely even a factor which I'll explain later), you argued about how they act outside of "battle."

And you're going to deny that SMB1 is an outdated piece of crap? Considering how a decent number of people still play it and how it has been remade and released a ton of times with little or no alterations...It's not a good game at all. Is it fun? Heck yes. But it still is terrible. Again, how can you say its terrible with what I mentioned before? Can we just admit that your view on the game is dwindled down to your perspective and therefore you believe its law? And of course I'm judging SMRPG with my experience with the game, and I'm being as unbiased with it as possible. It is not a good RPG at all. Geno literally has less of a role in this game as Paper Mario members do in their games, yet nobody gives a **** about those. Geno was the only character that was truly intertwined with the game's plot from beginning to end. Really, the repair of Star Road was essentially his problem because he was the protector of it. Until Geno came along, the character really didn't know what the Star Pieces were for and Frogfucious, who's supposedly the smartest character in the game, could only stab at what their significance was. As for the Paper Mario helpers, most of them were only sigificant during certain chapters and usually became little more then tools after those points. Case in point: Lakister in the original and Bobbery in TTYD. Really, none of them had any true role in the game's core plot except for Goombella and Vivian in TTYD.

SMRPG's story is one of the better parts about it. What are you talking about? The battle system is overrated crap and it's not a good game because of that. My problem with Geno lies in he's just a party member in a game he doesn't even star in. One time. Now you ask him to be playable. If you can't say it looks wrong for Mario and Geno to be next to each other playable, that's where the problem lies with all of these video gamers. And I suppose there's nothing wrong with having Jigglypuff and ROB being hightlighted as Nintendo All Stars. Really, Sakurai said himself that significance actually plays a small role in what characters become playable. These are the four standards that he laid out at GDC:

1. They have to have unique qualities.
2. People will actually want to play as the character because of these qualities, whether they know who the character is or not.
3. They have to easily be integrated into SSB system of fighting with as few alterations as possible.
4. They can't be invinsible or completely useless and they have to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Seriously, how does Geno not fit in these characters? If you ask me, he shines brighter then most characters do in the first two categories.
People simply do not give Mario the respect he deserves, and it really saddens me. The Mario franchise has the most items, stages, music, trophies, stickers, and technically the most characters in the SSB franchise. The Mario characters also have a wide range of significance in the SSE. Seriously, what are you talking about? You act like the Mario franchise is completely neglected. Honestly, some people argue that there's too much Mario representation and here you are saying that it hasn't gotten any respect...
This is how I respond to things because it keeps things organized and its easier to read compared to "floating rebuttals."

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
Geno
Dark Samus
Animal crossing character
Midna
WW Link (we dont need two links, OH BUT WAIT, HE MADE IT! ****)
I agree with all but two. If u played MP2 and MP3 you know how much Dark Samus deserved to be in Brawl and how much she would not be a clone

And as for toon Link, i think we do need two-granted he should of had a windwaker inspired moveset, but toon Link has actually appeared in more games then traditional Link lately( Windwaker, Phantom hourglass, Minish cap, 4swords)

Top Bottom