• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco actually bad in this game or is he just being bashed too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I'm gonna personally use Ike and make sure he's bad. :4myfriends:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Falco isn't even close to bad. Community is hailing up Bowser but Falco is consistently a greater threat. I don't play the bird but his close combat ****s on his brawl performance. Been so long since I played melee but Falco is undoubtably effective. My winrate online dropped between Sheik, Falcos and well Wario. I was otherwise at 75%. Funny as hell too see "Falco sucks" when he is a mad threat.

cptnOlimar

Smash Rookie
I've tried playing with Falco a bit and he's great. His side b can easily trap players and launches them up into midair at higher percentages. His kill potential isn't the best but still okay, his combo game is great.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
Yeah its so funny that all I hear are negative things about Falco, yet he's very good! That's why I never put much stock into SSBM "celebrities'" opinions; I'd much rather hear the community's (the smarter ones) reaction and actually play him for a bit, before passing final judgement.

link2702

Smash Champion
falco honestly....is lousy this time around. He lost his amazing laser game, his dair has waaay to much startup and end lag now, lost his chaingrab(though this was inevitable with the new grab mechanics) the list just goes on. None of the "buffs" he got really make up for all he lost.

Falco got hit by the nerf hammer hard

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
Falco is pretty awful in this game. Yeah, it's unfortunate, but nothing in Brawl that made him good came back (Lasers, Gatling Combo, BDACUS just to name a few.) If you think Falco is good in this one then you're in denial, 'cus he really isn't.

As for Fox, he's solid. I really don't see a reason why somebody would use Falco instead of Fox at this point.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
A grounded Falco? Are you dudes insane?

Grab > U-throw > Uair > follow up fast-falled nair/ fast-fall jump fair/ bair > into neutral with your momentum. And you can follow that up with anything based on how your opponent plays.

Falco is good, just not top tier good. He's a solid character tho.

EDIT: If anybody doesn't believe me, play me right now and I'll use Falco until I'm tired. He's not even my main.

EDIT2: FC edit. 2767 0421 9953. I should really put this in my bio now.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Falco is not Brawl Falco. That was easily understood the moment I picked him up

however, he is not terrible. I just had to learn a new playstyle with him. His aerial game is still top notch honestly. The only thing that sucks is his dair, but even then it's not that bad to pull off. I've meteor'd a fair amount of players online with it, so it's not useless by any stretch.

Overall Falco is not doom and gloom like a lot of people are trying to make him out to be. Game hasn't even been out for two months yet. Gonna take time to know where he's gonna place on the inevitable tier list.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
Dair can still be good if you time it right. No one can chain grab in this game so its not that bad plus if you main falco in both melee and brawl then you'd know how bad chain grabbing was for him due to his high falling speed and low airspeed. Hell chain grabbing alone was the reason why Falco had a disadvantage against Pikachu and Ice Climbers in brawl not to mention in melee facing marth FD is a winnable matchup. You can fire lasers all you want but your still gotta get throwed like a ragdoll by marth. The laser's though.. Yeah I'll agree with you on that one.

I wouldn't say he's completely terrible just because he lost a few tools.
I mean look at fox. He's received the same nerfs as falco yet people consider him to be a really good character.
Matter of Fact Fox really didn't gained anything out of this besides a new combo game that require hard reads.
Falco's not bad by any means. He's just different and people like you have to learn to adapt to it instead of jumping to conclusions so quickly. Seriously it pisses me off how I have to see people these days saying this characters OP/thrash after seeing a person do good/bad with them not to mention putting them in tiers when the game hasn't even released yet!!! This game is one of the most balanced game in the series, No character is broken in this game(yet), Custom moves could put in some interesting matchups, and every Character has their ups and down's. Ike is really the only exception to this though as you can tell just by seeing him that he sucks since he's the exact same character from brawl but worse. And Ike was never good in brawl to begin with. At least Falco has some brand new tools to back it up.
and these new tools are? (aside from side b buff)

Portanix

Smash Cadet
I personally mained Falco in Melee and did not use him in Brawl. I just didn't like him anymore. Now I tried him out in Smash 4 and I really like his changes. He seems very nice. Not as agile as in Melee but very strong and good combo and follow up potential. Falco will be one of my mains alongside C. Falcon, Dr. Mario and Greninja.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
and these new tools are? (aside from side b buff)
A god like Bair that has no lag and can be used as a approach/gimping tool, better close combat game, up tilt juggles, a down tilt that can kill at 130% on most stages(cept for heavy weights) and can be a combo setup at lower percentages,down throw can lead to a combo setup that can then lead to another grab for certain characters, up throw up air yes he can use this now, pivot f tilt/ fsmash for heavy mixups, and reflector can be used as a good spacing tool.

Yeah the laser nerf is just terrible, and the dair being more situational is just dumb but still but that doesn't mean falco's terrible. I mean fox has the same laser nerf yet everyone says he's an amazing character despite being exactly the same attributes from brawl with the recovery buff( I'm not saying hes terrible but you get my point). As I said before Falco has a different playstyle now and just because he doesn't play exactly as he did in brawl and melee doesn't mean he'll suck in this game.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Laser>DThrow>NairAutoCancel>UTilt>UAir

Your argument is invalid

Last edited:

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Falco is pretty great in this game. The fact that he can offensive go for phantasm spikes and then recover back onto the stage is amazing itself.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Falco is absolutely incredible. He just gets a lot of crap for not being the old Falco.

Shwag

Smash Cadet
As a Brawl Flaco main, I'll admit I have done my fair share of Sm4sh Falco bashing. At first he seemed unplayable and had zero potential for doing anything. I really want to stick with him though, because I've played him in every game. Just going to be a learning process I suppose.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Falco is still good just different again. Everyone thought brawl falco was trash at 1st. My brother is on a 55 game win streak in for glory with Falco. He is by no means bad just different. He is an in your face aggressor now.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
Falco is pretty awful in this game. Yeah, it's unfortunate, but nothing in Brawl that made him good came back (Lasers, Gatling Combo, BDACUS just to name a few.) If you think Falco is good in this one then you're in denial, 'cus he really isn't.

As for Fox, he's solid. I really don't see a reason why somebody would use Falco instead of Fox at this point.
I believe it's best to see the character under a new light then. If his strategies from the past no longer work, find out the new things.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Falco is absolutely incredible. He just gets a lot of crap for not being the old Falco.
He w
I think you have to full hop to actually autocancel Nair. However, the move has such little landing lag that missing the autocancel isn't really a big deal.
I thought it auto cancelled when it hit the ground but it has little landing lag like you said so the follow up to Utilt is real.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Bad? Falco is a relatively fast mobile character with good airgame, comboability, projectiles, and hard-hitting attacks relative to his size.

I'm expecting Falco to be upper tier.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I was a falco main in brawl. . . . can anyone post videos to show me what good falco players are doing with the character in sm4ash?

@ o-Serin-o o-Serin-o , @ Sir Tundra Sir Tundra , @ KingChaos KingChaos ,

Im not questioning the validity of your statements, jyst some footage to restore the faith! Ive seen the shojou fox v falco vid, but I wanna see falco vs other characters!

I know you guys got a cell phone ans old matches to record!

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
@ Acton Acton Only way I could get footage is recording my brother with my cell phone. He was a notable brawl player named Shugo.

Last edited:

Acton

Smash Journeyman
There's a replay tab that you can use to record some of his old matches with your cell! And I remember shugo, he's a really good player!

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
Last edited:

shoops

Smash Rookie
Very excited to learn sm4sh Falco. When I first picked him up I was very discouraged, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of him. I've learned quite a few things just reading the past few minutes here that I'm eager to try online.

Scala

Smash Ace
His reflector is really great in footsies. It goes suuuuper far, farther than it did in brawl. At certain % it starts to cause knockdowns too so it opens opportunities to start damage strings. It's not safe on shield though so be careful. However with such long range and quick speed it's easy to get counterhits on reaction and it also will guard the ledge in a pinch

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
His reflector is really great in footsies. It goes suuuuper far, farther than it did in brawl. At certain % it starts to cause knockdowns too so it opens opportunities to start damage strings. It's not safe on shield though so be careful. However with such long range and quick speed it's easy to get counterhits on reaction and it also will guard the ledge in a pinch
Not to mention down B out of dash/run is basically an alternate dash attack.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I was a falco main in brawl. . . . can anyone post videos to show me what good falco players are doing with the character in sm4ash?

@ o-Serin-o o-Serin-o , @ Sir Tundra Sir Tundra , @ KingChaos KingChaos ,

Im not questioning the validity of your statements, jyst some footage to restore the faith! Ive seen the shojou fox v falco vid, but I wanna see falco vs other characters!

I know you guys got a cell phone ans old matches to record!
Falco is definitely usable imo. He's still good at CQC with that monster jab of his and great tilts. His dsmash is still decent, fsmash is pretty much the same so it's not so easy to get kills with, and usmash was kinda nerfed in terms of kill potential for sure.

His aerials are still great outside of the dair nerf, so while you won't be scoring spikes you can still rack up good damage in the air and gimp quite reliably especially with the sideB no longer sending you into freefall.

Overall I would say he's definitely not as potent as past games, but definitely still got merits, especially in terms of anti spam which when you look at the projectile hheavy metagame we're about to endure, might be more useful than it initially sounds. As past Falco mains we're used to one thing in particular which we no longer have, and that's being in complete control of the tempo of the match thanks to tools like SHL/SHDL and potent early kill moves, but once you adapt past that you'll find he's still good.

Well that's been my experience so far.

RenyNoise

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenyNoise
3DS FC
5215-1797-5689
I think he's bad, and I've accepted him being bad. So much to the point that I'm willing to call Falco the Sean Matsuda of the Smash Bros series. He got smacked around with the nerf hammer then put back in line for another beating.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
As a Falco main in Brawl, the only sad thing I thought of is how bad they nerfed down air and forward air. There's so much delay... I miss being able to spike so quickly... :(
EDIT: Also, can anyone confirm if the gatling combo is still in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom