• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is edge hogging cheap/n00bish?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
If you're playing friendlies it's a really gay thing to do. Meh honestly it's a good question, I don't find it noob but maybe cheap, hard to say

fullynick

Smash Apprentice
I was playing my friend in smash 64 and he said that shine spiking / hitting him while offstage was cheap
even though we were both playing fox - after which i only used lasers, grabs and upsmash

lol but nah i play olimar and dont think edgehogging is cheap

Racuza

Smash Rookie
I don't think it's cheap or n00bish.

You have to KO your opponent anyway possible, right? That's part of the game.

Roy82

Smash Rookie
Ledge Vulching is like... you stand on the edge of the stage holding Ike's Eruption and as soon as the person lands back on the stage you let it go. Or letting them land and smashing them instantly or whatever.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
The point of the game is to get them off a stage and KEEP them off.

IT'S IN THE ****ING IN-GAME TUTORIAL! Show them it.

Tell them to start doing it to and they will stop complaining. Also tell them that there are worse things you can do. For example, instead of watching them fall to their doom, spike them, even though the kill is guaranteed. Take away the dignity.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
edgehog= ****
i bet your bros main is olimar or something right???^^

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
In friendlies I'd rather not edgehog, I want to practice and fight as long as possible so edgehogging ruins that concept. If anything is on the line though, I'd do it without hesitation.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Yah, we should totally perma-ban it because trying to find easier ways to ko is totally a pansy move man.

gallax

Smash Hero
Tell them to start doing it to and they will stop complaining. Also tell them that there are worse things you can do. For example, instead of watching them fall to their doom, spike them, even though the kill is guaranteed. Take away the dignity.
this statement is win.

ThatAintTripping

Smash Rookie
Well, first I'll begin by saying that this is an excellent thread that certainly warrants being in a forum entitled "Tactical" discussion, and certainly deserves to last four pages without being instantly closed by anyone of authority on SWF who even skims over the title.

That being said, edgehogging absolutely is cheap AND n00bish. But first let's talk about what else is cheap and n00bish. When you turn on Brawl and go to versus, all items are on medium and we play two minute matches. This is how the game is supposed to be played and is perfect, impeccable, and infallible. You need to pick a random stage to be fair, and it takes pure skill to play a stage like 75m and avoid obstacles. They affect everyone equally, and it takes skill to dodge, after all. Not playing a stage like this is cheap and n00bish as well. You need to play two minute matches also, because this is how it is on wifi with anyone, and to be the best player in the world, you need to be able to beat anyone under any circumstances. So it is then clear that stock, bonus, and coin matches are all cheap and n00bish. The only way to play is with all items on in two minute matches on any stage.

Now that we have established rules that are not cheap and n00bish, it is time to discuss "tactics," as per the forum title, that are/are not cheap and n00bish. You get +1 point for a kill and -1 point for being killed, so you must of course try to get the most points without being cheap and n00bish. Since it is easier to pick a good character, like Sonic because he's so fast or Zelda because she's so powerful, this is cheap and n00bish. So you can either play random, or someone decent but not amazing like Snake. His forward smash is very powerful but very slow to balance it well. The game is about kills, and if you don't kill outright, then it is cheap and n00bish. This includes going off the stage to hit someone, doing a spike (Lucas is cool, but his spike is still cheap and n00bish), and of course edgehogging. I'm sorry for being off topic so much, but I'm bringing it back now talking about how edgehogging is cheap and n00bish. You have to let your opponent recover, and they have to let you recover, otherwise they can do cheap and n00bish things like grabbing Snake's cypher to kill you. This would be such a boring and dumb game if we could do these cheap and n00bish things. Someone like Jigglypuff would probably be good because she could fly off the stage and hit people while they recover.

It is much more fun to not be cheap and n00bish and kill with moves like Snake's forward smash. This makes Brawl a much better game. Please don't be cheap and n00bish by edgehogging.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
The only senairo where edge hogging MIGHT be cheap is an Ike ditto but even then its a ditto and don't prove anything.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Well, first I'll begin by saying that this is an excellent thread that certainly warrants being in a forum entitled "Tactical" discussion, and certainly deserves to last four pages without being instantly closed by anyone of authority on SWF who even skims over the title.

That being said, edgehogging absolutely is cheap AND n00bish. But first let's talk about what else is cheap and n00bish. When you turn on Brawl and go to versus, all items are on medium and we play two minute matches. This is how the game is supposed to be played and is perfect, impeccable, and infallible. You need to pick a random stage to be fair, and it takes pure skill to play a stage like 75m and avoid obstacles. They affect everyone equally, and it takes skill to dodge, after all. Not playing a stage like this is cheap and n00bish as well. You need to play two minute matches also, because this is how it is on wifi with anyone, and to be the best player in the world, you need to be able to beat anyone under any circumstances. So it is then clear that stock, bonus, and coin matches are all cheap and n00bish. The only way to play is with all items on in two minute matches on any stage.

Now that we have established rules that are not cheap and n00bish, it is time to discuss "tactics," as per the forum title, that are/are not cheap and n00bish. You get +1 point for a kill and -1 point for being killed, so you must of course try to get the most points without being cheap and n00bish. Since it is easier to pick a good character, like Sonic because he's so fast or Zelda because she's so powerful, this is cheap and n00bish. So you can either play random, or someone decent but not amazing like Snake. His forward smash is very powerful but very slow to balance it well. The game is about kills, and if you don't kill outright, then it is cheap and n00bish. This includes going off the stage to hit someone, doing a spike (Lucas is cool, but his spike is still cheap and n00bish), and of course edgehogging. I'm sorry for being off topic so much, but I'm bringing it back now talking about how edgehogging is cheap and n00bish. You have to let your opponent recover, and they have to let you recover, otherwise they can do cheap and n00bish things like grabbing Snake's cypher to kill you. This would be such a boring and dumb game if we could do these cheap and n00bish things. Someone like Jigglypuff would probably be good because she could fly off the stage and hit people while they recover.

It is much more fun to not be cheap and n00bish and kill with moves like Snake's forward smash. This makes Brawl a much better game. Please don't be cheap and n00bish by edgehogging.
lulwut? You obviously don't play brawl competitively.

jpl315

Smash Apprentice

is this serious?

ThatAintTripping

Smash Rookie
lulwut? You obviously don't play brawl competitively.
Yes, I play Brawl competitively. Whenever I play with my friends it is a competition to see who can win without being cheap or n00bish. One of my friends plays Ike and is a little better than me, because Ike's forward smash is a little more powerful than Snake's. I mean, he's being a little cheap and n00bish because it's really really good, but he beats me fair and square. We compete against each other because we care about the winner of each and every match. Sometimes I have more kills after two minutes, sometimes I don't. One of my other friends plays Captain Falcon, but he loses a lot because he uses too much downsmash, so I can roll behind him and sometimes avoid the second hit. But it's still competitive because he's trying and even wins every once in a while.

Competitive is caring about winning and losing. My friends and I obviously care about this.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I play Brawl competitively. Whenever I play with my friends it is a competition to see who can win without being cheap or n00bish.
You and your friends are setting a standard for yourselves on how the game should be played. What you define as cheap and noobish is another person's way to win. Enter any tournament. I'm sure anyone that takes winning seriously will edgehog. You can tell them that it's cheap, and that's why you lost, and I'm sure people will respond with the classic, "no johns."

REL38

Smash Lord
No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination

Yes, I play Brawl competitively. Whenever I play with my friends it is a competition to see who can win without being cheap or n00bish. One of my friends plays Ike and is a little better than me, because Ike's forward smash is a little more powerful than Snake's. I mean, he's being a little cheap and n00bish because it's really really good, but he beats me fair and square. We compete against each other because we care about the winner of each and every match. Sometimes I have more kills after two minutes, sometimes I don't. One of my other friends plays Captain Falcon, but he loses a lot because he uses too much downsmash, so I can roll behind him and sometimes avoid the second hit. But it's still competitive because he's trying and even wins every once in a while.

Competitive is caring about winning and losing. My friends and I obviously care about this.
:/ Really?

Hammers and Bumpers on High in Hyrule Temple is in no way competitive.

Edge-hogging is completely legit.

That's all I'm saying cuz me thinks I smell a troll . . . nah, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
if ure in the lead, you dont need to do it. but if you are behind and you really want to win, then show no mercy

c3gill

Smash Ace
So you can either play random, or someone decent but not amazing like Snake.
This makes Brawl a much better game. Please don't be cheap and n00bish by edgehogging.
thats all that needs to be taken from that quote- whats the point of posting something like that on a competitive Brawl site, where Snake is generally taken as the 2nd best character in the game?

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but I will not post just to discredit everything you wrote- everyone has their own opinions on what is cheap, n00bish, whatever.

I think CGs are cheap, but they are still a vital part of the metagame. Some characters that are seen as not tournament-viable must find ways to get surprise or early KOs, and guarding the edge is a very efficient and generally safe way to get these KOs.

but on the topic of this thread, it is NOT cheap. If your opponent made the mistake of recovering from too far away, or too low, or in any punishable manner, then you are just punishing their mistake. Isnt that a vital part of any fighting game?

Coney

Smash Master
yeah, edgehogging is completely cheap. one time some jerk edgehogged me, i called over the TO--we went over the replay, he saw the offense and DQ'd him immediately without a refund. what a scrub!

REL38

Smash Lord
The Cheapest Advice I've ever heard in my life:

"Play to Win"

But seriously, you gotta exploit every little mechanic and mishap if it's a serious match.

Playing friendlies doesn't mean you gotta **** your opponent completely. I've been to a few tourney's where I'm playing a friendly match against Forte who's waaaayyy better than me. He didn't edge-hog me to death like a serious match would have.

When I'm playing with my friends who don't play competitively, we go to New Pork City with Smash Balls and I don't bother edge hogging them once, since it's not a serious match.

What I'm trying to get at is exploit every little thing to your advantage when it really matters. You only need to go all out when it's at a tournement. "Play to win"

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Guys, I'm pretty sure ThatAintTrippin isn't serious. He knows exactly what he's talking about, and he's just messing around. I think it's hilarious, personally.

That being said, mabye I'm completely wrong. (GOT TO USE IT TWICE TODAY!!)

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
My friends and I edgehog each other all the time. We don't mind, we both do it, lol. Though usually some people watching will say "LAME" as a joke.

Tell your friend to start edgehogging you. lol

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
I believe edge hogging is completely ok as it takes a litte practice to jump onto the edge properly. but my bro thinks its a cheap move. personally I think ledge vulching is cheap but not edge hogging. what do you guys say
First of all, a tactic that needs practice isn't automatically a good tactic.
Using the Infinite Cape for 8 minutes requires skill and practice but if I was an TO I would not allow it.

Second of all, everything is cheap. I think that it is cheap to hit my out of the boundry because after the hit I can not evn try to recover. And spiking/edgeguarding/gimping is cheap as well because I can not really defend myself in the air.

If your brother says that edgeguarding is chewap then he is a scrub and you should never listen to that BS. It's his own fault for getting enough damage and being thrown off the edge.

Check out who I main BTW. I get edgehogged alot so I know what I am talking about.

Roy82

Smash Rookie

I can't remember the last time I've read the phrase "cheap and n00bish" this many times in a row. =\

Top Bottom