• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

iRJi's Tournament Ruleset (Complete)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm just trying to give ideas. I noticed that I gave a terrible definition for sharking (I'm very bad with words), but we all know what it is. It's completely unfair to fly under a stage like Delfino and keep attacking from below with no way to punish it then just regrab the ledge and repeat the process whenever the stage is in that phase. I didn't mean a character like Wario couldn't do a Uair to hit the opponent away then use the opportunity to recover safer. Maybe it wasn't a good idea.

At least I didn't think comparing MK to Akuma was a legit argument.

EDIT: What bout Pokemon Stadium 2?

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
edit: i would care and type a legit response to you shadow but.... i dont care. and nothing we say in this thread will actually change nj rules unless there is some drastic reason. so theres no point
QFT x1000000000000000000000

This is what happens when you win a tournament mai dood. People need to invent rules to make themselves win since they aren't a master of abusing the current ruleset as you've come to be........I'm so proud *cries*

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I'm just trying to give ideas. I noticed that I gave a terrible definition for sharking (I'm very bad with words), but we all know what it is. It's completely unfair to fly under a stage like Delfino and keep attacking from below with no way to punish it then just regrab the ledge and repeat the process whenever the stage is in that phase. I didn't mean a character like Wario couldn't do a Uair to hit the opponent away then use the opportunity to recover safer. Maybe it wasn't a good idea.

you could just.... not be bad. and wait like 30 seconds for the stage to change. and then be an aggressive scrub with me next to you rather than under you.
QFT x1000000000000000000000

This is what happens when you win a tournament mai dood. People need to invent rules to make themselves win since they aren't a master of abusing the current ruleset as you've come to be........I'm so proud *cries*
YUUUUURP. DRANKIN DAT GRAPE SODA IN GRAND FINALS NUGGHA

iRJi

Smash Champion

EDIT: What bout Pokemon Stadium 2?
Inferno, I hop you are kidding. You can only get sharked in 3 stages, and all of the stages where it happens can be 100% avoided by going to the higher platform of the stage. If you don't wanna get sharked, then don't put yourself in that situation to be sharked.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Despite it being the exact opposite which caused you to receive trolling posts in a situation where I mostly agree with you........makes plenty of sense
Well of course one would interptet what I say as harsh.
That is how it is, I don't sugarcoat things, not even in person.

Don't take it to heart. Which is the main issue with the MK ban and many other issues.
People take it personally.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Well of course one would interptet what I say as harsh.
That is how it is, I don't sugarcoat things, not even in person.

Don't take it to heart. Which is the main issue with the MK ban and many other issues.
People take it personally.
I honestly don't care. I was bored :bee:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
thats actually how i say the word
Vids or didn't happen
they are limited past 300% to prevent stalling
IC CG's=legal
DDD infinite=illegal

Come on you know what i meant -_-

edit: i would care and type a legit response to you shadow but.... i dont care. and nothing we say in this thread will actually change nj rules unless there is some drastic reason. so theres no point ?
True true, but I do think that people should know that their ideas are just...bad.
Really bad.
Same for an LGL since hell, I'll plank someone wit under 10 if I bothered to use MK (I hate the bat though)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
In short, The current rule set for NJ is close to what I think is really good. It could use some tweaking. However, I am completely against infinite's outside of IC's, and I want a strict LGL. I will go into more detail later when I hear from everyone.
Not that I am going to be a particular player in this debate since I'm not a member of your community but I think you need some sort of firm backing for a statement like this, because quite frankly it makes no sense from a competitive stand point.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Not that I am going to be a particular player in this debate since I'm not a member of your community but I think you need some sort of firm backing for a statement like this, because quite frankly it makes no sense from a competitive stand point.
Fair enough.

Ice climbers are a character that is strictly based on the chain grab. It is their character physics to purposely utilize sequences between nana and popo to "combo" the opponent together to result in a players death. This compared to other characters where infinite's exist, are not exactly in their character model to play appropriately, and because of this the character that have these infinite's result in other character becoming non viable under heavy conditions. King D3's infinite on DK makes him nonviable to play, therefore creates a "waste" of a character so to say. Now, you can say this is true for the Ice climbers as well, but ice climbers whole physics are based around the grab, rather then just some "extra" they obtained from a potential error or mistake. Also, their CG is universal as opposed to the D3 vs DK example I used above. Because it is universal, this creates the metagame for ice climbers that their grab is law. To avoid defeat, the goal is to avoid the grab, while dealing damage to them. What really makes this different from any other infinite, is that there is a variable added into the equation that can 100% eliminate the factor of a chain grab. (Nana) while in others it carries on some condition. I am aware that D3 needs to refresh him moveset by 1/8th in order to continue the infinite on DK, but 1/8 =1 pummel, and after 65%, D3 can safely add 1 pummel without anyone breaking out of the grab. Banning everything else but the IC's chain grab, makes every character more viable, while not hindering Ice climbers to be played effectively. This is something that NJ overall came to an agreement with a long time ago, and to be honest I think it makes perfect sense.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Stopped reading halfway through lol

1. To say that ICs are meant to CG like that when other characters aren't makes no sense. Did you ask the programmers of the game? ICs are still a very solid character without the CG. There are also CGs in which aren't infinite, so why do ICs need the infinite kind?
2. DDD's CGs doesn't make characters not viable lol. You really think characters like Mario and DK would be "viable" if they didn't get CG'd by him? They get CG'd by ICs, lose massively to MK, etc etc. Fun fact: Fusion doesn't ban the DDD CG, and Will beat Atomsk in bracket there. Go check out Haze vs Ook. As awful of a match it is lol, the grab game is gonna work the same small step or not because of there pretty much always being a wall, and Ook avoided getting grabbed quite a bit, and eventually won.

In a community that lets ICs do whatever infinite they want and have a don't get grabbed mentality, I find it hard-ish to justify the same for DDD when his CG is pretty character specific.

How about comparing it to something more similar? What about Pika's CG on Fox? Kind of makes him "non-viable" wouldn't you say?

Or whatever weird footstool infinites some characters have on others? Zero Suit has a footstool infinite on ROB, why should that be allowed when DDD's are banned?

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero

1. To say that ICs are meant to CG like that when other characters aren't makes no sense. Did you ask the programmers of the game? ICs are still a very solid character without the CG. There are also CGs in which aren't infinite, so why do ICs need the infinite kind?
2. DDD's CGs doesn't make characters not viable lol. You really think characters like Mario and DK would be "viable" if they didn't get CG'd by him? They get CG'd by ICs, lose massively to MK, etc etc. Fun fact: Fusion doesn't ban the DDD CG, and Will beat Atomsk in bracket there. Go check out Haze vs Ook. As awful of a match it is lol, the grab game is gonna work the same small step or not because of there pretty much always being a wall, and Ook avoided getting grabbed quite a bit, and eventually won.

In a community that lets ICs do whatever infinite they want and have a don't get grabbed mentality, I find it hard-ish to justify the same for DDD when his CG is pretty character specific.

How about comparing it to something more similar? What about Pika's CG on Fox? Kind of makes him "non-viable" wouldn't you say?

Or whatever weird footstool infinites some characters have on others? Zero Suit has a footstool infinite on ROB, why should that be allowed when DDD's are banned?

OH REALLY NOW....so you're telling me...that even though you kept telling me before and during my set in winners that it was legal and I should do it...It was banned? So you were blatantly trying to get me dq'd then?

Fun Fact Chibo: You're ****ing dumb. I believe I even told you that even if that **** was legal I wouldn't do it. Get your facts straight.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Trevor I don't think that's what Chibo was saying, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Icy's CG in general is gay. It works at any percent on anyone and results in death. It degenerates the game into OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. If anything that's just as broken as anything you guys complain about mk for doing. I love camping, but I don't like being forced into it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Basically what I'm saying is you have to make an argument that justifies that the IC's chaingrabs are somehow different then the other characters chain grabs.

Unfortunately your arguments can be

1 Difficulty: A complete and total non-factor and shouldn't be used to argue EVER.

2. That it's the entire characters metagame: Tough ****, you can argue that D3's metagame against DK, mario, etc is to grab and d-throw.

3. That it can be messed up or wiggled out of: If somehow the D3 messes up this applies to that as well.

Basically its impossible to be argued imho.

If you are going to ban the infinites of characters you have to ban the IC's infinite grab to have a consistent rule set.

If you aren't, then you can't ban it.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What do you mean trying to get you DQd? It was legal so I reminded you because people aren't used to having it on and you might not have read the rules. I don't know why you didn't do it...

iRJi

Smash Champion
Basically what I'm saying is you have to make an argument that justifies that the IC's chaingrabs are somehow different then the other characters chain grabs.

Unfortunately your arguments can be

1 Difficulty: A complete and total non-factor and shouldn't be used to argue EVER.

2. That it's the entire characters metagame: Tough ****, you can argue that D3's metagame against DK, mario, etc is to grab and d-throw.

3. That it can be messed up or wiggled out of: If somehow the D3 messes up this applies to that as well.

Basically its impossible to be argued imho.

If you are going to ban the infinites of characters you have to ban the IC's infinite grab to have a consistent rule set.

If you aren't, then you can't ban it.
False, actually. I will admit, you and a few others have valid arguments, however to say that because we can ban the infinite's of characters, we have to ban IC's, is a false statement. I can simply put anything as subjective as this or what chibo is saying, and just flip it. That only takes us back to square one. In a game where we, as a community, validate what is just and unjust, we can easily just say what I stated above and make it true, because we set our own ground rules for it. The same can be said about the versa, however. People can say that what I am saying is wrong, and be right about it also. We made that rule because we felt it was the "just" thing to do, and we followed it. As far as I can see, there is not a person in the NJ community who has ever complained about the rule to be changed, because people are content with it. Why change it when it is causing no problems at all, know what I mean?

Edit: To point something out rally fast, I should ask Alpha as to why he just banned infinite's and not walking chain grabs, but you would prob. get the same answer as I stated. It would most likely be "because this is what we felt was the "just" thing to do.

First, I would like to say that your last statement is valid, but I would also like to point out what Atomsk stated about the match.

People asked for my opinion on why I put that rule as is, and I gave it. I never tried to validate to prove my statement as a fact, but rather just answered what people asked me. If it is a big issue, the NJ community will correct it, but it's not. I hate to dismiss you, since I think you are a iight person and all, but I would actually like to hear why you are going as hard as you are to change something that hardly involves your state, or your personal community. My first guess would be you are just doing it because you feel you are right, which is ok, but you do have to understand I am not rewriting a whole new ruleset, rather just tweaking a thing here and there.

To be honest, I have been nice as to going about some comments you said, personally to me, actually. For reference, you stated that I am doing this for my own personal enjoyment and I know little to nothing about the game in an earlier post. To even say that is a bold statement, since I know a lot about this game. I kind of ignored it earlier, but if I was actually bad, you shouldn't be losing to me in tournament like you did before, and giving the fact you actually ledge camped me makes this more funny. Overall, I am a nice person, just keep personal comments like that to yourself.

to continue, I would like to state something here that I have also stated to shadowlink earlier. I enjoy your input, but right now this is something NJ needs to be dealing with, and rather not OOS people. I understand that you like your ruleset, and your way about doing tournaments, but to be frank this is not about what you want in a tournament in NJ, because you, you, are not actually apart of NJ. I can be nasty, and just ***** about it, but I'm not going to, since I find myself to be a very nice guy. To be fair, I don't have an answer to your last comment about fox vs pikachu, if it makes you feel any better, but like I said earlier, all I am doing is just answering a question someone has asked to me. He asked why I have made that rule the way it is, and I answered it. I will reiterate again, that this is my personal opinion, and I am not trying to justify how valid it is, but rather standing by it as my own personal opinion. If any NJ people have a issue with it, they can speak now. This is what the thread is for, you know?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I understand you wanted it to be for Nj I just wanted to add a .02.

It doesn't seem like because its "just" is a fair way to go about a rule set :\.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Infinites of any kind should not be banned. I will not support artificially propping up ****ty characters.

If DK is unviable because he gets infinited, such is his luck, I guess.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I understand you wanted it to be for Nj I just wanted to add a .02.

It doesn't seem like because its "just" is a fair way to go about a rule set :\.
That's understandable. I actually like you for bringing that up, as it was a very valid question.

Infinites of any kind should not be banned. I will not support artificially propping up ****ty characters.

If DK is unviable because he gets infinited, such is his luck, I guess.
I have a question for you. Why do you think of the MLG ruleset?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I have a question for you. Why do you think of the MLG ruleset?
Stagelist could use some work, but that's more personal preference.

Infinites aside from the IDC should not be banned. I agree with the concept of an LGL, as MK is broken without it.

I should have posted infinite grabs / grabreleases in the first post. IDC is ******** and I would never support it being legal.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Stagelist could use some work, but that's more personal preference.

Infinites aside from the IDC should not be banned. I agree with the concept of an LGL, as MK is broken without it.
Fair enough. Another question, why do you think they made the ruleset the way they did. Just a personal opinion, unless you actually know why lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ummm, over half of the tourneys I atteend are in nj

I host a lot in nj, especially in the summer - my next tourney mega fusion is in nj

also I only go to school in pa, my permanent residence is in nj

this largely pertains to me

edit: as far as the comment earlier I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attakc you, I'm just in disbelief at ho you believe any ledge camping besides mkk is bannable

iRJi

Smash Champion
ummm, over half of the tourneys I atteend are in nj

I host a lot in nj, especially in the summer - my next tourney mega fusion is in nj

also I only go to school in pa, my permanent residence is in nj

this largely pertains to me
Ok, Fair enough.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Fair enough. Another question, why do you think they made the ruleset the way they did. Just a personal opinion, unless you actually know why lol.
An amalgamation of current rulesets, the BBR ruleset, and some BBR recommendations.

iRJi

Smash Champion
An amalgamation of current rulesets, the BBR ruleset, and some BBR recommendations.
Also, fair enough. I was looknig for you to say something in particular, but it didn't happen so I will just leave it here.

To be honest, NJ is taking this pretty well. Never even knew my own state would be open minded like this LOL. Outside of Chibo (Because I already know how you feel about it) and OOS people, what do NJ personally think about the ruleset I have stated?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
If people absolutely feel the need for an LGL, it would be much better if it was for MK only since he's the only problem.

Then again as Orion said earlier in this thread, the LGL does nothing to limit MK lol

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Stage striking needs an odd number of stages to ensure each player can strike an equal amount of stages.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I see. If anyone argues for a 9 starter list please consider frigate over delfino. (I think Delfino is a horrible starter)
Please read the OP for what we are discussing right now.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
MK should be banned because between ledge grab limits and potential scrooging rules, he is so good that he now affects match-ups he isn't even a part of. MK is built to stall and stall well, and stall in a way that makes it impossible to enforce. He is not just really good, he breaks the game.

Also if we aren't propping up bad characters by limiting infinites and such (which we shouldn't) then why are we dampening a character by limiting ledge grabs? (Yes I am aware these rules aren't really doing much of anything.)

Inui: you are correct in that we want LGLs and such left out of an official ruleset, but I also want MK banned in the same breath. It is fascinating that if both of those things happened at the same time a lot of problems with Brawl would disappear. :)

iRJi

Smash Champion
MK should be banned because between ledge grab limits and potential scrooging rules, he is so good that he now affects match-ups he isn't even a part of. MK is built to stall and stall well, and stall in a way that makes it impossible to enforce. He is not just really good, he breaks the game.

Also if we aren't propping up bad characters by limiting infinites and such (which we shouldn't) then why are we dampening a character by limiting ledge grabs? (Yes I am aware these rules aren't really doing much of anything.)

Inui: you are correct in that we want LGLs and such left out of an official ruleset, but I also want MK banned in the same breath. It is fascinating that if both of those things happened at the same time a lot of problems with Brawl would disappear. :)
I am a pro ban person, a big one. You can see my posts in the MK dicussion thread, however tis is not a MK ban threadn. Please keep all dicussion about banning MK out of this thread, because this is not the place for it.

To continue, would any of the other nj community like to comment?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
LGL should be targeted towards only those that are a large problem with it. P_wii tried to call LGL shenanigans on me yesterday after our set of ALL timeouts, game 3, because I need to play the ledge to fight MK. I don't think I would ever want to play this game again if that legitimately happens to me. It's STUPID.

iRJi

Smash Champion
LGL should be targeted towards only those that are a large problem with it. P_wii tried to call LGL shenanigans on me yesterday after our set of ALL timeouts, game 3, because I need to play the ledge to fight MK. I don't think I would ever want to play this game again if that legitimately happens to me. It's STUPID.
For record sake delta, did you take note on how many times you grabbed the edge?

Plus, the stages.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero

lol idiot. its usually the people that dont get anything done in this game who talk like this. figures.

iRJi

Smash Champion
lol idiot. its usually the people that dont get anything done in this game who talk like this. figures.
Lol, I find it funny how you pop in and out like that. Like legit, no troll or anything, it is just funny xD.

Top Bottom