• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I might megabus up if someone could get me=great.

This is assuming JBM/devon/tyser/whoever don't want to come, I told JBM you might want to come strongbad so he's considering it.

Joker if you host PSA side tournament JBM says he'll come 100 :)

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
sigh
not even for my birthday will he legalize mk
forever stuck playing terrible character

also sago wants to bring a car of chicago, and mains mk now, joeker pls? do it for the people
Well I ban him cause I knew Lux didn't want him so I figure banning him will bring more people but now sago wants him legal but isn't really saying if he's coming so really it's up to you Brandon you want KC or Chicago to come.

how big will melee be?
i might come if there'll be 20+ entrants.
Chances are not enough sorry to say.

Joker it appears that I need a teammate. If you are entering doubles, let's team for old time sakes. Considering my days in Iowa are numbered, let's do it for the memories :)
I don't see why not seeing as I didn't have one either lol

I thought the smash scene died......
it seems that way o.0

That's the idea plus I'll probably have my PS3 running with the game so people can try it out ^.^

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Joker, I'll come either way lol

I prefer mk banned 9 or 11 stage list FLLSS 2stage bans.

If it's MK legal, I still plan on coming either way, but it might be 3 instead and I may or may not enter depending on how much sleep I get lol

:phone:

DeLux

>_>

You realize that the 9 FLLSS + 2 bans would end up being literally the exact same thing as that stagelist without the whole ICs on FD thing lol

Minus the MK legality part, which is a separate issue. You shouldn't be removing/adding stages to the list to balance the characters. 9 FLLSS + 2 bans also works with MK legal :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
>_>

You realize that the 9 FLLSS + 2 bans would end up being literally the exact same thing as that stagelist without the whole ICs on FD thing lol

Minus the MK legality part, which is a separate issue. You shouldn't be removing/adding stages to the list to balance the characters. 9 FLLSS + 2 bans also works with MK legal :p
I don't. YS ghosts and Lylat tilts and CS design are all just bad :p

DeLux

???

Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise are in the current Japanese Rulesset?

What the heck is wrong with Lylat's tilting? lol

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
JP list is just BF, FD, SV. My prefered stages include PSs as counterpicks since they're usually flat and fair to matchups without leading to any more degenerate play than Smashville's platform does. Transformations being out of the player's control and unpredictable makes them unwarranted as neutrals, but they're much more tolerable than the other options available for a stage list.

Stage tilting directly affects pushback on block and spacing and generally just makes the whole game something entirely different than on static stages.

Really the only reason I even accept PS1 and 2 is just because it's something to settle for. It's like in Smash 64 having stages besides Dreamland legal because there isn't anything else to pick from. Were it that there were two less obnoxious stages than the Stadiums you can rest assured those two stages would be legal and Stadiums not.

I just don't see a reason to accept stages on the grounds that "There are worse stages in the game." When a game is still starting out yeah, keep those kinds of things legal, we don't want to make any rash decisions with the stage list, but eventually stages that are just plain unnecessary can be removed in favour of a clean, concise stagelst.

DeLux

No, the Japenese Rulesset has 6 stages >_>
They use BF SV FD YIB LC PS1
Go look at the SRT list or any of the major tournaments in Japan in the last year

Can you cite where stage tilting affects shield pushback differently because the stage is tilting? For the argument if it did inconsistently where it couldn't be manipulated by skill, how is that any different than stage orientation changing during PS1? The tilting on Lylat occurs on a set pattern depending on background transformation, similar to how the stage changes on PS1. Smashville actually has more random occurrences/deviations in a game than Lylat Cruise does. If you're looking at only FD, SV, and BF, the fact that random balloons are anything different than anything else in that list would also make that stage bannable. If you disagree, tell that to a Ness main lol

The reason stages are kept isn't because "there are worse stages". It's because based on most coherent competitive critiera for Brawl stages the list could be anywhere from 5 to 13 stages depending on the litmus test. Anything smaller than that is pretty far reaching or arbitrary.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Joker are you going to unban MK this time? I'd like to stop using wario in singles at some point.
lol who am i kidding
I honestly think you should stick to Wario, but I'm bad and don't know things so I may be completely wrong.
We should probably just ban MK/IC's/Oli/D3/Diddy/Wario/Falco/Pika/MeleeFox
:sheikmelee: .
Money Match.
Dolla dolla bill y'all
how big will melee be?
i might come if there'll be 20+ entrants.
I don't think we've had that many people enter a Melee tourney in IA ever.
I thought the smash scene died......

We still play Brawl like once a week, Melee occasionally (which I'd like to happen more often), and I play Melee with a few dudes in Ankeny that are trying to get better once a week or so.
We just don't go OoS anymore.

You should show up at Christian's again sometime though I haven't seen you in forever :).

I might megabus up if someone could get me=great.

This is assuming JBM/devon/tyser/whoever don't want to come, I told JBM you might want to come strongbad so he's considering it.

PSA will definitely be there since Joker has been nerding the **** out of that game.
100% fact that Castle Siege is a bad stage.
Castle Siege is my least favorite legal stage, but I pretty much hate every stage that isn't Battlefield or Smashville.

Also I'm working Saturday so unless I switch off I won't be entering anything but I'll show up around 8 to get some games in, especially if anyone wants to play some Melee/P:M/PSA.

:hamtaro:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I don't know about an event, but I'll be bringing a PM 2.1 setup and hopefully* a small crt along with it, along with poverty match recording equipment. I'm open for all money matches and would love it if we could get enough people interested for a side event.

*Hopefully

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Is mk going to be legal here? I'd like to know because it may make or break whether I come with kc or not; I'd rather stay home and study for finals than work with mk legal, especially because kc has its own tournament literally the next day.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
:sheikmelee: .

I don't think we've had that many people enter a Melee tourney in IA ever.

PSA will definitely be there since Joker has been nerding the **** out of that game.

Castle Siege is my least favorite legal stage, but I pretty much hate every stage that isn't Battlefield or Smashville.

Sheik is bad. She doesn't even have a shine.

Outside of the two Brainshocks, yeah I don't think I've seen over 14 for melee since I've been active in Iowa.

I agree that those are the two best stages, even though I ban smashville a lot if I know I don't have to ban FD. I still love :delfino: and obviously :pirateship: and :pictochat: since I try and have them as legal stages as often as possible.

Is mk going to be legal here? I'd like to know because it may make or break whether I come with kc or not; I'd rather stay home and study for finals than work with mk legal, especially because kc has its own tournament literally the next day.
Riddle me this, Riddle me that

Who's afraid of the big...black...batttttttttt?

ALSO

Since no one responded to getting me at the megabus station, if JBM or someone else doesn't come I won't be either.

§chizm

Smash Lord
Do you guys do a Project M side event now? Because I'd probably enter one.

Usually if there's enough time/interest we can run whatever.
I don't know about an event, but I'll be bringing a PM 2.1 setup and hopefully* a small crt along with it, along with poverty match recording equipment. I'm open for all money matches and would love it if we could get enough people interested for a side event.

*Hopefully
I may be up for money matching if I feel up to it after work.

Also random question but were you at AnimeIowa this year?

It sounds like he's not legal?
Since no one responded to getting me at the megabus station, if JBM or someone else doesn't come I won't be either.
Tell JBM to come.

DeLux

It sounded to me like Brandon wanted MK Legal since Chicago would come with that.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Clearly ban meleefalcon too.

Sm3esh can beat my Sheik with Pichu. Sure, I beat it with Zelda, but still, sheik is horrible.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
I would attend this like i have the money for it and everything but my car wont make it. Anyone live near davenport and is going i need a ride i can pay you for it.

PortCity

Smash Ace
Something tell me that this is one of those threads peopled WANT to lurk on. As soon as there is a hint of activity here, we get random people show up like the old days :) ... where's tyser?

§chizm

Smash Lord
I used Pichu and got tech chased because Falcon is dumb and can do that to the poor rat for free :<

Didn't do too bad for such a terrible matchup though lol.
That was most likely Tyser playing Falcon, I probably would've been playing Peach. I usually don't play Falcon unless I'm playing FFAs or drunk usually.
Brawl practice session #2 Wednesday 5:30 pm @Joker's place. Featuring QRS and PCity.
I'll show up after work if you guys are still there.
Nah Falcon is just dumb. Peach and Fox and Falco and Sheik and probably Puff are straight up remedial classes.
Falcon's hard to play. He's my favorite character to play against though.
Something tell me that this is one of those threads peopled WANT to lurk on. As soon as there is a hint of activity here, we get random people show up like the old days :) ... where's tyser?
Tyser is everywhere.
You're insane. Falcon loses to all those characters you just posted.
I think he was saying that they're easy to play, not that they lose to Falcon.
Falcon/Peach is evenish though.

JJROCKETS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JJROCKETS
3DS FC
5129-2280-4196
I would attend this like i have the money for it and everything but my car wont make it. Anyone live near davenport and is going i need a ride i can pay you for it.
Unfortunately, nobody lives that far out. There are a few people in Iowa City that play, but I'm the only one that travels out to these, and since I don't have a car I just take the Megabus.

Speaking of buses, can someone drive me to the Megabus stop after the tourney? Bus leaves at 12:30 am like last time.

Top Bottom