• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
plus is not like there wasn't enough set ups back then I had two Wii's ready to go sure it broke down but now Dusting brings his so not having enough set ups isn't an excuse.
[18:08] ultima743: joker needs to realize
[18:08] ultima743: singles = 2 people
[18:08] ultima743: doubles = 4 people
[18:09] ultima743: i don't think he gets it
[18:09] Masterkou: preach!
[18:09] ultima743: because we have 4-8 people over there all the time
[18:09] ultima743: and making that many people sit there is stupid
[18:09] ultima743: why not let everyone play as much as possible
Guess I most be the only guy with a Wii and a copy of Brawl I mean don't you guys play at home is not like you have to bring a tv I always bring my Wii when ever I go to play somewhere else even if it doesn't get used and I have to pack an external hardrive for it with a six way plus I brought a tv when I could so you guys don't have to worry about the tvs just the Wii's but nope.

BPx

Smash Lord
We can all be playing with each other at once, that is one of the most appealing features of doubles, IMO. That is why I think it makes sense to have at least one tv of doubles going on... and recently, we have had one tv of doubles, and one tv of singles... pretty much every time Dustin and I come over we bring that Wii. I don't understand >.<

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Joker:

If you felt this way about singles, you could have expressed it to ME so that I understood and I would have complied. I never understood how deeply you felt and you never really approach me asking to play singles. If that is all you ever wanted, you could have asked me and I would have done it. The things about playing differently or giving up don't apply to me even remotely, so you wouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff. However, I don't ever remember you requesting to play me. Also, I can't be blamed when I go do the doubles thing, and the singles people come flock over there. ....... My motto is communication is KEY. I think that is how this situation got like this...Not enough heart to heart talking.

Brandon is right, with so many people there it often is more practical for everyone to play doubles. Since it is easy, that is what people do. No one likes to sit around and watch, so they don't, they opt to play doubles.

Turning the other cheek is always good. It is a sign of strength. It is easy to get mad, but very few people can control it (Jean Grey does a TERRIBLE job :) <- lame joke). So forgiving and forgetting is a positive, not a negative.

That whole high and mighty stuff isn't called for. If you think that I'm pompous and a jerk about my skill then you are mistaken. Aside from trash talking, which is just that "trash", no one believes that I am mean, talk down to others, or belittle them. You can go back and read plenty of posts during that trash talking episode, where people actually defended me as a person. So you saying I'm "the mighty Pcity" is out of line. People with superiority complexes enjoy BEATing people down and put their own agenda first. Just 2 weeks ago, I split with you at QRS's tourney. I had NO incentive to, but I did not feel like fighting your wolf and you are my friend. "High and mighty" people don't do that.

No need to get mad at how I interact with Brandon. He and I deal with each other in our own way. Even during that trash talk episode he and I were talking on and off the threads. When he has a problem with me he tells me and we deal with it. Besides Brandon is grown, despite my request the clown STILL chose DK AND he didn't commentate :)...but we laughed about it and it was done. I treat Bpx a lot like I treat my little brother and oddly enough they both respond to me similarly, with kindness and respect.

I look forward to your post about Razor. Because we can go back and forth, but I really believe THAT is the real issue. The rest of this stuff is just the residual effects of a bigger issue that honestly has nothing to do with me, Bpx, or anyone.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
We can all be playing with each other at once, that is one of the most appealing features of doubles, IMO. That is why I think it makes sense to have at least one tv of doubles going on... and recently, we have had one tv of doubles, and one tv of singles... pretty much every time Dustin and I come over we bring that Wii. I don't understand >.<
This post right here tells me how much you like doubles.
Ok so right now I have 4 tvs thats 8 people total that can be playing at the same time you probably have 2-4 people standing just watching the same if people where just waiting to play doubles people can still play each other cause when one person stands up the next jumps in and now you are going to go to another set up so why can we do that hmm all we need is 3 extra set ups so Dustin, Greg, Twink, Skizm, CBK, Colin who else >.>

The Mighty Pcity: Maybe if you didn't act like one it would have help with this confusion I mean saying things like, Waste of my time, I know you where going to do that, they can't catch me, I'm a bad boy and it's also on the way you play when they aren't worth it you go for the infinite or random stuff that you otherwise wouldn't so perhaps by stooping some of this stuff will help I mean I have heard similar stuff from other people and they thing their mighty so yeah.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
2nd Topic
I really have to thank Razor if it wasn't for him I don't think I will have been where I am now but it wasn't cause he played all this chars I mean they helped but it was that when ever he was around we played mostly singles actually back in the day we had a pretty good balance of Singles/Doubles.

I have two different mind sets one for singles and the other for dubs not really sure how to explain it but I learn different by playing them separately so even if Brandon sticks to just playing Wario I don't care Andy did and I still learned a lot from him again it's not about how many chars you can play but all that singles practice. Brandon may not like playing my other chars but what I'm trying to do is giving them MU experience I may not play them as good as say people who been playing them since day 1 but I know the basics and really is abut what that char can do to you or to him I mean it may not be as helpful to me but it helps them so then I'm sacrificing the rare chance to play singles to help them.

I lost interest cause no one wants to play it I have told people I want to play more singles but no one ever says I'll play Singles instead I hear I could play singles but yeeeeah :urg: I should mention this is the way I see things even when I was complaining back then about the whole doubles thing people said they will play more singles but I didn't saw a change I was talking to Skizm and even he said all we do was doubles so I'm glad I'm not the only one. What made Razor an excellent sparing partner is that he would show up to my place just to play me in singles everyone of you who shows up really just comes down with the thought of playing doubles it be awesome to hear I came down to play some singles but nope the only person close to that was Colin and really only when people left and he showed up late sadly I can do that no more cause of my situation and I wish I could drive cause I'll just go to someones place but I can't maybe I was in the wrong to tag him along with the others but he has done the same thing like the others have so maybe I'll play him but only on days NO ONE is here but just me and him.

I must have the patients of a saint cause growing up I had to put up with a bunch of stuff that others will have lost their temper so when I finally found someone to play singles with then one of you come along talking about doubles is like FACK IT I know where I stand I mean you guys should know how much I enjoy singles but when I'm playing say Ngamer and you come along is like really why not keep playing with the other people you play all the time just have to take the one person who will play along with me so sorry if I'm a bit aggravated.

The reason I think you are a doubles guy is cause sure you will play singles until enough people show up for teams or someone asks then you'll most likely just be thinking about playing doubles if people really wanted to play singles they will have played them again back in the day we would have played a couple of sets and then me and Razor will have just gone and played singles.

Last thing did it really took you guys for me to say I was going to quit to decide to play l mean how do you think that makes me feel it's like I'm threatening you guys to play or otherwise I mean I shouldn't be forcing you guys to play that's why I'm doing it on my own accord and playing what everyone else likes Doubles.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I had a long post addressing the particular details of your post, but I deleted it. Honestly, it all boils down to you not having a sparing partner like I said. Your first paragraph sums it all up. The reason you had a balance of singles and doubles is cause Razor was there to play you. It had nothing to do with ANY of the rest of us honestly. You really didn't play Andy in singles, nor did you really play me. Andy and I played doubles a lot and when we were around doubles got played. Since Razor left, no one took his spot. Andy moved, but I'm still doing what I do. Playing and recruiting doubles players :) As a result of not having Razor around nor anyone that drives up there to play you 1 on 1 regularly, you are FORCED to play doubles with us. Without proper communication, we don't know what the deal is so we keep playing doubles, but you slowly resent us. Next thing we know, trash talk is a real issue, us only playing doubles is an issue, etc. To remedy the problem, if you want to, we can make SURE you spend some time playing singles each night. You can play with me, or whoever else. The other people can play doubles. Someone just rotates off of doubles to play you in singles. That way, while everyone is at your spot you get to play singles and those who want to, can play doubles.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It's my fault anyway for not visiting DM very often, so, sorry.
Typical woman taking the blame for everything when it isn't her fault. You were doing work so you should go until you get bored or lose, don't worry about me, you can't please everyone all the time.

@MegaRobMan: I also played at least 2 sets a piece with you and Thugz, giving ya'll pointers and such. After all that, THEN I was like "Welp, dubs!" :-D
We played 1 set of singles and 1 set of doubles. I don't blame you at all for this, Thugz was complaining that he wanted to leave like an hour before we even started.

Actually I was at fault I knew that Yink was coming that day and decided to just play dubs with her all day with the occasional singles match here and there.
See Yink, always taking the blame when it isn't your fault.

recently, we have had one tv of doubles, and one tv of singles...
That's how we do melee here in Nebraska. I have to beg people to play brawl.

No one likes to sit around and watch, so they don't
I realize the quote looks out of context, but I see this as a problem. People should want to watch. I lose in melee more than I win, and sometimes we don't have enough players for a doubles tv and a singles tv, just a singles tv, so I have to watch aprox 2-4 people PLUS the person who won and wait for like 2 minutes and 30 seconds. It doesn't matter if they aren't playing your character, this an excellent place to learn the game, especially since I'm not as good, I can see what they are doing, learn habits
(hehesmeeshtonighthehe)
and gain a better knowledge of when to do or not do something. Learning to fight Jokers Snake/MK should be their top priority since he enters more tournaments than PCITY, watching will help. So will playing singles, lol.

Uli

Smash Champion
i didnt read anything i just saw people dont play singles
wtf thats so awkward imo lol

if ngamer doesnt drive to omaha for that tourny schism should :3
i cant wait to play AE with ngamer!!!!!!! hopefully ill learn stuff for screenland

ngamer3k

Smash Ace

when I'm playing say Ngamer and you come along is like really why not keep playing with the other people you play all the time just have to take the one person who will play along with me so sorry if I'm a bit aggravated.

I love getting name dropped. Oh sorry, what was the discussion? I will say the above is a real instance that has happened more than once.

Singles > Doubles :')
I will say I have been warming up to Doubles, but I still prefer playing singles by far. I've never fully agreed with criticism Brawl gets for being so slow. Although it isn't necessarily the best direction the series could have taken it's not the worst game evar or so unfun as to be unplayable. The main two problems coming from the power of spot dodging and planking.

Using the excuse of limited setups doesn't really fly. Doubles and singles are different enough that if you constantly play doubles it will not help singles play at all. By getting some singles practice, you are sacrificing the ability to play-- that's true, but you are getting better practice overall. I compare it to Tennis. Singles play will more likely be better practice than doubles play. Example is Anna Kournikova- never won a grand slam title in singles but won several in doubles-- overall considered a player that never reached her full potential. Like Joker said, bring another setup-- or three.

I'd like to say that Colin is one person that always asked me to play some singles with. Unfortunately, I can't always give him practice because I play too much crap and or we would be pulling four people off a setup from their precious doubles matches. I love this guy- he is so pure and wide eyed when it comes to the game, but since he's legit in RTS you can't talk **** to him.

@Sekou- You're right, Joker should have said more because you guys are friends. However, the prevailing attitude in Iowa seems to favor doubles so much that the atmosphere is heavily skewed-- creating an environment where playing singles gets very much derided. Not so much the last couple of times I've been there, but many others I have announced to the room that I wanted to play singles, but was shot down. I just gave up trying. Since I'm not around so much and not the best player-- people just go "Ok, no."

if ngamer doesnt drive to omaha for that tourny schism should :3
i cant wait to play AE with ngamer!!!!!!! hopefully ill learn stuff for screenland
You can play me as early as tomorrow, son! I'll be beasting everybody with the question mark and one hand over Blank's shoulder.

I would have put up some vids by now, but I accidentally erased my whole stock of replays twice!

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Remember when games at Joker's were good? :3

We should really be having two setups instead of a splitter, we can re-arrange some chairs and wii's for it I'm sure.

Double's practice is essentially worthless to Joker. Everyone wants instant satisfaction, to get into things right away, with less patience then it takes to actually get through and grind out a singles game. In this case Brawl really shouldn't be your kind of game imo.

If you ask someone whether they wanted to feel good now, or in maybe 8 minutes from now. They'd probably say the former of course, thats what doubles is to singles. The less stressful, easier to get into alternative. The get-away from the practice that really counts to Joker, which takes a different level of commitment and time and is hard to find for him already.

Partners come and go, teamwork and matchups change with the experience and tourney, the only asset you can always rely on for good is yourself. In my experience, you want to stray towards the area that brings more consistency. In this case, the 1 on 1 experience.

In my opinion, going to a session of games to "level up" and not placing singles in importance is like slacking off. Only a few people really have consistent partners they want to grind with, and it shouldn't work that way for a serious player like Joker.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@Sekou- You're right, Joker should have said more because you guys are friends. However, the prevailing attitude in Iowa seems to favor doubles so much that the atmosphere is heavily skewed-- creating an environment where playing singles gets very much derided.
I am guilty as charged on this. :) I pretty much use my personality and charm and all that silliness to push the "doubles" agenda. So when I'm around, I ask and talk about doubles. Without an effective "Anti-Doubles" campaign, I was able to corner the market :). But all silliness aside, another main reason doubles got popular here is because of the equalizing effect it has. Two new players, one on Joker's team and one on my team, can INSTANTLY get high level practice in a controlled environment. "Controlled Environment" being the key phrase. It is like the accelerated reader program :)...a new player gets to watch and copy their teammate while also getting crucial experience (i.e. beat downs) from their opponent. During this process they WIN some and LOSE some. Everyone is putting in a substantial amount of effort to win, because the teams are even. A new player playing me or Joker in singles is not going to get that luxury. I let people win depending on the situation (are they serious about the game, are they mad, sad, etc), but I don't think Joker does that (and he doesn't have to either). Anyway, sometimes when it comes to playing 1 on 1, if they haven't gotten their skills up adequately they will lose a lot and get discouraged, going back to doubles where they can flourish. Since I like doubles, I don't mind the company :)

Good analogy about doubles in tennis. In general, I do believe it is true. Most people get better practice at the game doing singles. It just so happened, for me it wasn't true. I got good by playing doubles and 2 on 1 against the computer...I credit that with the reason I'm so fast in singles.

Anyway, I look forward to playing games tonight. I'll even bring my setup, so there can be 3, that way we can play singles and doubles without a hitch.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
You are very right about doubles being good beginner practice. I can say so for myself (I'm still scrub) I generally have a better opportunity to team or play against much better competition in doubles than in singles. Also, I can say me teaming with Brandon a few times and Jay a lot in tournament, they benefited greatly and we generally did better than we should have.

It's been a year since Brandon and company joined us and they are better than me now. Only difference, I know a lot more matchups because I'm was an online warrior and spent a good amount of time trying to main 8 different characters. Also, I don't get (too) nervous.

This discussion is good. Good luck guys.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I'll say this. Singles practice and doubles practice are both needed, but for different reasons:

Singles Practice Helps With: Match-Up Experience (recognizing what you can and can't punish, character zoning, etc), Fundamentals (Execution, Technique), and Tactics (implementing Setups)

Singles practice is akin to concrete thinking (getting the small details right)

Doubles Practice Helps With: Battlefield Awareness (Do you see all players, all percentages, all timers), Prediction (Can you read what your opponentS are thinking...will they attack you or retreat ), Strategy (Based on the position and the stage what is the best OVERALL APPROACH for attack or defense)

Because of the nature of doubles (more things happening and faster pace) it becomes less about what move you connect with but how does that move affect the big picture.

Doubles practice is akin to abstract thinking (seeing the big picture)

They work hand in hand because to flourish in singles you need to be able to have good awareness to avoid getting "stage gayed". You also need to see the big picture in order to trick your opponents into falling for the setups you have been practicing. Tactics are no good if your opponent never puts themself in a situation for you to use them. Also, you want to be fast, and there is no better way to get fast than having to instathrow a banana, spot dodge a tire, fair a mk, air dodge a toonlink and then run off stage for a follow up spike on that mk you just hit ...all in one sequence :)

To be a good doubles player, you may see the big picture, but if you haven't bothered to learn spacing, zoning, and the fundamentals, you can't execute them when you need to. You can see what your opponent is doing, but you can't stop it.

To me, doubles and singles work hand in hand to make a REALLY good Brawl player. :-D

BPx

Smash Lord
I probably would have quit if I was playing Joker or Sekou in singles instead of doubles... can't say for sure, but they could have beat me with their eyes closed (Sekou probably did). And I feel I got better soooo much faster playing doubles than I would have playing singles imo... I didn't start really enjoying singles until I was competent.

§chizm

Smash Lord

If you're not getting as much practice for stage awareness for singles as doubles you're doing it wrong, seeing as most of the stages have random bull**** and so many of the characters focus on leaving/throwing projectiles everywhere.
After a certain point doubles will only make you better at doubles and better at taking advantage of incredibly niche situations.

In more important news, Prepare yourselves.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
In other news, netwars the tournament in Missouri is the 13th :/ Idk if Trent is going to that, but I know the rest/most of Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri are probably going to that. I want to attend both, but that will be very tough.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm just easy to make a punching bag, I can take it!

I probably would have quit if I was playing Joker or Sekou in singles instead of doubles... can't say for sure, but they could have beat me with their eyes closed (Sekou probably did). And I feel I got better soooo much faster playing doubles than I would have playing singles imo... I didn't start really enjoying singles until I was competent.
k. Though I definitely want to point out that singles and doubles are very much a different fight. If you want more 1 on 1 experience to learn other character's tips and tricks then you really should be playing Singles. You can't get away with as much as you want to in Singles as you can in doubles (imo), so it's still better to play more singles than doubles.

For me, I like singles more because if I learn all the stuff I need to, then put it into doubles, doubles feels a lot easier too.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I just don't enjoy singles in brawl for a number of reasons.

1. i hate losing, and usually Joker and Sek'ou will beat me no problem, whenever they want.

2. Singles in brawl is boring as f*ck, and gets extremely frustrating. After playing against the Ice Climbers in singles several times, I realized singles sucks. In melee, wobbling was banned (usually), and now the ice climbers can do the SAME thing, but it's not banned. Wtf? Plus you have powerhouse characters like MK which makes your options extremely limited at any time during a 1v1.

3. I have to agree playing doubles is more practical, I hate sitting and watching matches. It bores the hell out of me, I don't learn much by watching, I have to actually DO something in order to learn it.

But those being said, if Joker were to say "hey guys, I really want to get some singles practice in. I don't want to play doubles." I would be happy to oblige. However, I feel useless in giving someone practice in singles since I can barely play 2 characters well.

I think people should reach a compromise to help accommodate both parties.

Also, Rob, you're a b*tch. MM me with your main, good players can overcome bad MU's. And you're good and I'm not, remember? Thus, I will never be able to beat your marth and your wolf should beat my falco no problem.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
You'll never beat my Marth is why I'd play Marth against you, duh. Wolf falco is ******** and I don't want to have to play perfect against someone who may get lucky and grab me and spike me dead. (yeah I can tech it, but why?) I play Marth against every Falco I have played since UNK3, Gamegenie and Jayford can attest to that. Since I believe MK is gonna be banned, I am currently maining Marth, I barely touch Wolf anymore.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Even if they ban him people wont use the unity rule set. Plus it has been 3 years so why would they ban him now deal with it.

:phone:

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
FYI: I did play Andy in singles remember that one night I was going to go to a tourney the next day and I ended up playing till 4am with Andy also more times then others I played him when you weren't around.

Singles > Doubles :')
I love this guy <3

@Sekou- You're right, Joker should have said more because you guys are friends. However, the prevailing attitude in Iowa seems to favor doubles so much that the atmosphere is heavily skewed-- creating an environment where playing singles gets very much derided. Not so much the last couple of times I've been there, but many others I have announced to the room that I wanted to play singles, but was shot down. I just gave up trying. Since I'm not around so much and not the best player-- people just go "Ok, no."
Agreed. Also I remember we came back from some tourney you wanted to play singles but instead everyone jumped to doubles so I know what you mean.

Remember when games at Joker's were good? :3
The good old days T.T

Double's practice is essentially worthless to Joker. Everyone wants instant satisfaction, to get into things right away, with less patience then it takes to actually get through and grind out a singles game. In this case Brawl really shouldn't be your kind of game imo.

The get-away from the practice that really counts to Joker, which takes a different level of commitment and time and is hard to find for him already.

Partners come and go, teamwork and matchups change with the experience and tourney, the only asset you can always rely on for good is yourself. In my experience, you want to stray towards the area that brings more consistency. In this case, the 1 on 1 experience.

In my opinion, going to a session of games to "level up" and not placing singles in importance is like slacking off. Only a few people really have consistent partners they want to grind with, and it shouldn't work that way for a serious player like Joker.
Agreed.

A new player playing me or Joker in singles is not going to get that luxury. I let people win depending on the situation (are they serious about the game, are they mad, sad, etc), but I don't think Joker does that (and he doesn't have to either). Anyway, sometimes when it comes to playing 1 on 1, if they haven't gotten their skills up adequately they will lose a lot and get discouraged, going back to doubles where they can flourish. Since I like doubles, I don't mind the company :)
So in other words I should sand bag everyonce in a while to make them feel good. I'm sorry man but how is that helpful on an actual tourney people aren't going to take it easy on you I mean I got my *** kick so many times in Melee I played Echo, JBM, Smeesh and so on and neither of them took it easy on me and I wouldn't want it any other way that's how I learned and when I got to play JBM in a tourney and won man you know how good that felt sure it may have been the only time but the fact that he wasn't going ez on me that I knew if I try I can get better.
Another thing I play M2K so many times I lost EVERY match yet I still learn a lot if he took it ez on me and lost on purpose I wouldn't feel satisfy for that win.

I'll say this. Singles practice and doubles practice are both needed, but for different reasons:

Singles Practice Helps With: Match-Up Experience (recognizing what you can and can't punish, character zoning, etc), Fundamentals (Execution, Technique), and Tactics (implementing Setups)

Singles practice is akin to concrete thinking (getting the small details right)

Doubles Practice Helps With: Battlefield Awareness (Do you see all players, all percentages, all timers), Prediction (Can you read what your opponentS are thinking...will they attack you or retreat ), Strategy (Based on the position and the stage what is the best OVERALL APPROACH for attack or defense)

Because of the nature of doubles (more things happening and faster pace) it becomes less about what move you connect with but how does that move affect the big picture.

Doubles practice is akin to abstract thinking (seeing the big picture)
I dissagree all you can learn in doubles can be learn in singles since MU doesn't really help doubles cause sure you know whats good against that char but they don't work in dubs so lets say Falco is good against Snake but because the nature of dubs Falco wont do as good. Now Battlefield awareness, prediction, strategy also applys to singles you dont need dubs for it.
Battlefield awareness: It helps to play dubs cause there's 2 other chars but you should already have awareness when playing singles since there's stage hazards plus any char with a projectile specially Diddy and Snake or maybe Wario too for his bike.
Prediction: As a Snake player I need to learn this and I learn it while playing singles cause you need a good read on your opponent after a down throw to add more damage, in doubles I could predict stuff but something tends to get on the way and is not just me Pcity you have tried to do the infinite but the someone gets on the way.
Strategy: I'll have to say both Singles/Doubles have different ones but you really cant apply one with the other and if you do it ends up different. I like using Snakes mines(Dsmash) but in doubles my teammate always runs towards it even after telling them is there so then I end up not using it.
Also fundamentals are different for both too.

If you're not getting as much practice for stage awareness for singles as doubles you're doing it wrong, seeing as most of the stages have random bull**** and so many of the characters focus on leaving/throwing projectiles everywhere.
After a certain point doubles will only make you better at doubles and better at taking advantage of incredibly niche situations.

In more important news, Prepare yourselves.
Yeah so much for stage awareness I have seen so many people get hit by that claw on Halbert both in Singles/Doubles.

Also that's better be his level 1 hyper XD

It just sounds like people like playing dubs cause they have a chance of winning at least around here they hate losing but who doesn't I'll say this though if Pcity and someone say Brandon ever played M2K/Ally and won I won't care is like sure you won congratulations but come on compare to how much time you put into doubles to theirs I'm pretty sure the only time they play it is on tourney they don't practice it and only enter it cause is more money to win if anything.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Even if they ban him people wont use the unity rule set. Plus it has been 3 years so why would they ban him now deal with it.

I use the unity ruleset. Trying to say something? Also, it's not just the BBR-RC, have you taken a look around the boards lately? There's TONS of people who want it to happen.

Those 3 years of crying and moaning have started to add up as more evidence piles up and more of the community jumps on the bandwagon. Get used to it.

Trent

Smash Champion
I use the unity ruleset. Trying to say something? Also, it's not just the BBR-RC, have you taken a look around the boards lately? There's TONS of people who want it to happen.

Those 3 years of crying and moaning have started to add up as more evidence piles up and more of the community jumps on the bandwagon. Get used to it.
This. Unity Ruleset is being used a lot. There was a Saturday in July where every tournament that happened used the Unity Ruleset.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Im not making fun of the people that use the unity rule set but banning metaknight would be dumb. People who have been maining mk wasted all of their time. Plus even though people ***** about that mu thats the one mu people pride them selfs on. Colin has played that mu almost 50 percent of his brawl career, even if its bad you CAN punish everyone of his moves for example colin can spot dodge then up b my ftilt. Brandob farts shuttle loop he can also clap it. I take 1-2 games off of brandon when we play real matches. You can't just pick him up and be godlike you have to put time and effort in to it like any other char, he may be good on every stage but it is all up to the mk to know the stage when he can use the move for it to be safe. People keep finding ways to beat his moves the newest find (anti-planking). What im trying to say is even if you dont like the char you can still beat it just do your research.

If there are any typos im sorry doing this without t9.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'm anti ban, I'm just a realist, lol. Why would I pick up MK when they are banning him in like 4 states already? I'd only use him against D3 anyway or on RC/Brinstar.

But if they don't ban him, they should just make Summit a legal stage, can't ledge camp there :)

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Because you know what to do once you know the range/frames you can **** him i love that mu when i used to main oli.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
If they do end up banning mk people will quit playing. Then everyone will be qqing about how op diddy is omg ban him we can eventually because we *****ed about it enough and look what happened to mk. Diddy will easily be the new mk he can **** the front runners (snake marth ddd oli).

Swag also waiting for sekou to comment about this post.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@N_o_M: You are my friend, so I"m going to let you get away with playing the bat and saying all this madness. :) Hahaha, in a perfect world, you shouldn't even know how to play MK. He would be a banned character and I would be like your grandpa telling you war stories of how we fought against tornadoes and dair camping :) ... My dear friend...diddy doesn't **** ANY of those characters lol....:) Diddy goes even with the whole cast (not really but close). He is NOT op :)

@Joker: I am forced to just agree to disagree with you. I will say this however. I taught Brandon how to play Brawl by playing mostly doubles with him on my team. In about a year, Brandon is now as good as you and I in SINGLES. You may not agree with my methods, ideas or strategies, but they are effective. I'm not taking credit for Brandon's hard work, but I am saying that though my Brawl philosophy may seem like crap to you it has worked for both Brandon and I.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Im not making fun of the people that use the unity rule set but banning metaknight would be dumb. People who have been maining mk wasted all of their time. Plus even though people ***** about that mu thats the one mu people pride them selfs on. Colin has played that mu almost 50 percent of his brawl career, even if its bad you CAN punish everyone of his moves for example colin can spot dodge then up b my ftilt. Brandob farts shuttle loop he can also clap it. I take 1-2 games off of brandon when we play real matches. You can't just pick him up and be godlike you have to put time and effort in to it like any other char, he may be good on every stage but it is all up to the mk to know the stage when he can use the move for it to be safe. People keep finding ways to beat his moves the newest find (anti-planking). What im trying to say is even if you dont like the char you can still beat it just do your research.

If there are any typos im sorry doing this without t9.

The research has been done dude, John#s does a lot of it and has shown some scary things. Also; saying MK is good on all stages doesn't help his case LOL. He also has no losing matchups and has 3 "evens", but even the top level mains for those evens either get pooped on or switch to someone else (like the ICs, for chain grabbing I guess).

Brawl's changing. A bit late, I may add, but I don't mind seeing MK gone myself. Of course, Ness will suffer a crapload (because there'd be an increase in Marth most likely) but if that's what the community wants, then there you go.

I'm not going to be selfish.

EDIT: LOL they're not all going to quit. People ban other characters in other fighters and everyone doesn't just "quit".

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
A couple things:

1. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=303273
My Biweekly series is kicking off. I figure since it's late notice you guys can't make the first one, but they'll be regular so hopefully I can talk you guys into coming out for one.

MORE IMPORTANTLY:

2. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305642
This tourney is at a $200 Pot Bonus already. We got a bunch of sponsors for it, so it should be good. Most of the Top players in the country are going to KTAR anyway, so it's a pretty open field to win. Preregistration at a discount ends tonight. PM me if you want a $10 discount code

I can house for either tournament, so just let me know

Top Bottom