• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
I'm personally insulted by what I've read. >.>

Further proof that no one listens to me.

Chloe and I still take the game seriously and want to get better. I'm not going to beat a dead horse about distance and lack of comp but yeah.

Bill is also around but he's in SC2 land right now, but since he doesn't read/post I'll relay that he wants to hold some small tournaments in his apartment, and if any of you EVER came for games, we would play there.

Soran

Smash Ace
I'm personally insulted by what I've read. >.>

Further proof that no one listens to me.

Chloe and I still take the game seriously and want to get better. I'm not going to beat a dead horse about distance and lack of comp but yeah.

Bill is also around but he's in SC2 land right now, but since he doesn't read/post I'll relay that he wants to hold some small tournaments in his apartment, and if any of you EVER came for games, we would play there.
this.

I'd love to start going to tournies and games. Because well, I didn't think Iowa had a smash scene. I just hear Vegas, Jersey, New England, etc.

but you see... yeah. distance is an issue. that is all. I WANT to get better and my drive in this game is: as long as I see someone better than me I will keep moving forward with this game. Plus I just like the game. it's fun and cute : 3

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
SSF4 is the worst version of street fighter. I don't get why people like it so much. At least Brawl is better than Smash 64 (trips).

BOLT08

Smash Lord
SSF4 is the worst version of street fighter. I don't get why people like it so much. At least Brawl is better than Smash 64 (trips).
Brawl better than 64? Are you f*ckiing kidding me? (trips)? What the f*ck does that mean?

You better be joking, 64 smash is the best smash that has been made.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
SSF4 is not the worst Street Fighter. You're just a newb who doesn't know anything about competitive gaming. Go back and play Mega Man.

And 64 is better than Brawl. It's broken and is ********, but it's still far better. Nothing gets worse than Brawl, nothing...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
(trips) is brawl's most unfortunate mechanic and a possible reason why 64 may be considered better, but it's still wrong.

Turbo, Alpha 3, SSF2T, 3S and every single VS game capcom made is better than SSF4. I suppose the original Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2010 are the worst Street Fighters, thanks for pointing out my overstatement. I'm a capcom fanboy and I think SSF4 is ********=slow and doesn't function well. It's still a good game overall (maybe an 8) but just not as good as just about every other version of Street Fighter released after 1991. It honestly feels like Rival Schools, slowed down and without the tech skills like lightning/tardy counters.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
Yay, I have an excuse to post weird vids.

While I love Alpha 3- that **** is so broken and sometimes agonizing to watch high level play. Much like in CVS2 A-groove, a lot boils down to a waiting game of baiting activations then activating yourself. But unlike CVS2, A-groove is not the be all end all- in alpha 3 you better pick V-ism or you won't last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZCdukca-tE

Coming from a character that isn't even S tier- there is a lot going on here.

1) Many combos use a reset in the corner in order to kill, but you can in fact continue the combo. Notice the meter build enabling another activation.
2) Karin and other characters with command grabs can take advantage of a glitch where the command grabs hit off-the-ground during the V-ism period enabling additional loops.
3) The cross-up setups that you see are unblockable because of the speed at which the low comes after the deep jump-in is too great for the game to switch blocking.
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
NGamer, mad props at actually forming a decent argument over the internet AND he has video evidence. I was going to compare this to not getting grabbed in smash, but the whole "Unblockable" aspect makes it a much more difficult to do so. The problem with current Capcom fighting games are just that, combo's are too rigged. This isn't supposed to be Mortal Kombat where if you make 1 mistake against a good player it's basically instant death, and that is something about SSF4 that I like, no infinites other than a few character specific ones like Fei-Long's on Juri (but there's probably more I don't know of).

And, as Euclid pointed out, yes the similarities between Brawl V Melee is very much akin to SSF4 V older Street Fighters (oh and Tekken 6 sucks compared to Tekken Tag/5, but it's for different reasons). Slower gameplay and stupid get up mechanics wrecks my opinion of SSF4, but by all means enjoy it, but you are just being hypocritical if you complain about Brawl V Melee just because Melee is vastly superior and get hyped about SSF4 even though it feels rushed.

However knowing Capcom they will re-release this with a turbo option and tweak a few of my minor gripes about the game, they always listen to me, their fan.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say anything like that actually. I never brought up Melee as a matter of fact. You said SSF4 is slow and doesn't function well (whatever that means), and Brawl is slow and doesn't function well. The fact that a Brawl main such as yourself is complaining about another game being slow is laughable because Brawl is the slowest and easiest game around, competitively. SSF4 takes too much skill to be good at. If you've never competed in a tournament before, you're better off not posting anything at all. You're making yourself look like an [ignorant] idiot.

Soran

Smash Ace
of SFs I have/played, 3rd Strike is my favorite. parrying is supa fun : D

But SSFIV isn't bad at all. I just like SFIII more because it has parrying / :
Remember Evo '04 Daigo Vs. Justin Wong? THE pinnacle of Street Fighter epicness.

I like Blazblue though. That's fun for me. SSFIV is sometimes too technical for me.
Between combo inputs and pace, Blazblue is my game. SSFIV... *shakes head* why is it so hard to just do a 5 hit jab combo? Why??? xP I guess it's good that way. so it isn't noob friendly.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
There are a lot of things I don't like about SSF4, and I feel like Capcom kind of just gave in and played the nostalgia card. I don't mind the game anymore though, I just wouldn't want to take it too seriously ever. 3rd Strike was my favorite SF but even that game can be overrated. I find it funny how America didn't give two ****s about that game for the longest. Then they saw good people playing it, and Evo moment happened and suddenly everyone loves it.

I would say SSF4 is the bane of competitive fighting games because of how mainstream its become and how plainly it usurps its popular place above other fighters, while others would probably say its the best thing thats happened for the scene in a while. Whatever, I'm not going to take it too seriously. It has a higher casual presence and anyone can be mildly decent at it without too much practice, doesn't seem to demean the competition it has.

Alpha and CvS2 are indeed rigged in ways that make them real patience testers and yet giving variety to the game at the same time, its just that the games been out so long now people realize that the rewards you can get from custom combo grooves is too strong to make many others worth playing. The constant threat of A-groove and roll canceling adds to the tension but makes it slower at the same time. Not saying there aren't many viable teams out there, but the game is old. Top people who actually still play in Japan will generally be A-Bison, Blanka, Sakura with few exceptions.

BlazBlue is pretty much a game I wouldn't generally play at all anymore. As I grew better at fighting games I grew less interested in it because of the style of play it encourages along with linear damage-based tiers and the gross power of chickenblocking compared to other fighters. Its probably not bad to play but isn't a fighter I'd want to get competitive in. I just get random hits into big damage and I'll be satisfied with my place in the game.

Guilty Gear is a game I played a lot and got burned out on. I find it funny how people still reference Sirlin's blog and make that game to be so holy grail. Whatever, I'd play it if there was still interest for it around here.

Trying to prove whatever fighting games are more competitive are a waste when you main poverty games like me. So I don't usually bother. IaMP and Melty are the only fighters I'd want to put any effort into, and its not because of netplay gaemz or weeaboo factors. Not like you'd try to convince that to the majority who see an import game that still runs on a Dreamcast/PS2 and just immediately go back to SSF4.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Y'know competitive players of all kinds started with Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers. We should just play that since apparently it makes you good at every other fighting game. True story.

Soran

Smash Ace
Melty... *laughs*

never played it.. but it really doesn't look all too appealing to me. combos look fun and all. but the characters are just.. what?

I played Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus 3 times. I like Ky. that is my only opinion of that game.

I never knew about SFIII: 3rd Strike until I saw that Evo '04 Daigo Vs. Justin video 2 years ago.
I assumed it was always the shiz. Then I got the game and think it is funtastic.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Oh, I'm actually pretty interested in the new KoF and playing KoF 2002UM as well. I've been playing 98 with a friend its pretty boss.

Soran

Smash Ace
what is the new KoF? that came out.. a little after SFIV. lolz the review for that game: Bad.

xD so I just stayed away from that. is KoF 2002UM one of the old ones?

_

Trent

Smash Champion
street fighter da bess,
street fighter da bess,
street fighter da bess,
street fighter da bess

now smash bros brawl is mad,
mario party is mad,
melee they be mad,
everybody's mad

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
Y'know competitive players of all kinds started with Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers. We should just play that since apparently it makes you good at every other fighting game. True story.
This. A lot.

I'm not interested in any competitive fighter right now. I'll play MvC3 pretty much only because it's flashy. Competitive fighting is frustrating, too many characters to balance. But I've always been an FPS man. Buuut, since there hasn't been a good FPS to play competitively since UT04, I'm on SC2 with all my free time.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I didn't say anything like that actually.
LOL, you're too much fun.

Darkstalkers is an excellent series/game. I haven't spent enough time with because I didn't own a Saturn until after that game was impossible to find, and yes, I know it was on the playstation but that version was garbage like every non-Rival Schools/Alpha 3 capcom fighter on that sytem.

Xenostar, I don't know who you are, but you are obviously the fcking man because Xenogears is almost as great as Mega Man. I wrote a college thesis over Xenogears for my personality psychology class. Sooo Good.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Whaaat such a lie. I totally told you how bomb that game was.

Writing a college thesis on Xenogears is like writing one on Evangelion, totally plausible for some reason.

MvC3 is turning out to look really pretty. It'll be neat hopefully, looking forward to running team furry.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
They say Brawl is campy but some of the matches I've seen from SSF4 where just them trowing fire ball at each other or 1 camping the other.

KOF 13 is going to be awesome, I'll admit that 12 was just bad but they where just trying stuff out imo, I'll have actually played it but I had no one to play with. However once 13 comes around I'm going to play the FACK out of that game since now I can play with Ngamer, Kamig and Kurtis, then once MvC3 comes out there's four of us that will play it maybe 5 if Blank joins us >.0
Which by the way I may use Dante, Trish and Chris for MvC3 maybe replace Trish for someone else like Wesker.
For KOF13 I'll probably go with Kyo, Athena and Mai if only Rugal was in it T.T

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
They say Brawl is campy but some of the matches I've seen from SSF4 where just them trowing fire ball at each other or 1 camping the other.

KOF 13 is going to be awesome, I'll admit that 12 was just bad but they where just trying stuff out imo, I'll have actually played it but I had no one to play with. However once 13 comes around I'm going to play the FACK out of that game since now I can play with Ngamer, Kamig and Kurtis, then once MvC3 comes out there's four of us that will play it maybe 5 if Blank joins us >.0
Which by the way I may use Dante, Trish and Chris for MvC3 maybe replace Trish for someone else like Wesker.
Joker we have to play some KOF or Capcom vs SNK 2 man. You up for it?

Soran

Smash Ace
This kid sounds ignorant........
♫I only play games that are popular. I only buy games that the magazines tell me to buy. That way I know I get good games for sure. I may have a shallow mind but you can kiss my behind.♫

WEEEE!!!! he agrees with me! hah.

anyway. yup. I'd use blank, mai, and Leona. but only because i've never played KoF. In MvC3 I will have to stay away from shotoclone master Ryu. I'm sorry, but when english Ryu says Hadoken my ears bleed. But Dante looks great and I'm glad they went with the DMC3 Dante. I hope X makes this game. and Zero as well. I loved Zero in TvC. but I don't use him all that much. But he is still a neat'o character. His japanese voice is great. But I really like the X8 VA cast. DUDE! X, Axl, and Zero. boss team right there. just because there is three of them and teams of three.

But at least I hope they do X. But I think I heard they are throwing in Mega man Exe. or w/e his name is. the "mega man in your pocket that you put in a thing and you see him on a screen" .

Dante looks cool because you can aerial>(slam?)>aerial. and that looks cool.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I think any game can be competitive if enough people care about it. Look at Curling, you know, the Olympic game. It looks to be the most dull thing ever but people play it competitively. But if you guys are bored with Brawl, I can teach ya'll how to play Powerstone 2! :-D

@Trent: Nawl, There are still people in IA who play. Me included.

@Everyone: If no one has any plans, we should all get together and play some stuff during Labor Day weekend. Anyone up for the idea?!?

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
First before I forget I love your avatar Tyser ^.^

My hair's blue.

Get at me.
My beard is red.

Get at me.
k not really but I am thinking about it

Joker we have to play some KOF or Capcom vs SNK 2 man. You up for it?
Oh hell yeah mang you know I'm up for anything KOF related >.0

♫I only play games that are popular. I only buy games that the magazines tell me to buy. That way I know I get good games for sure. I may have a shallow mind but you can kiss my behind.♫
♫I always buy the soundtrack to each game. Oh it is the only thing that I will listen to. Oh sure one day it may drive me insane. You may think that I'm a fool. Well I'm here to say "Screw you!"♫

But if you guys are bored with Brawl, I can teach ya'll how to play Powerstone 2! :-D
Well I'm never get bored of playing Brawl hell I'm learning Ice Climbers so yeah, I remember playing the first Powerstone a long time it was also the demo but **** it was fun, we could always play Naruto o.0

@Trent: Nawl, There are still people in IA who play. Me included.
Are you talking about Brawl couse really we have Jlo and CBK still but haven't heard from Jlo and CBK is in love with his job XP
But yeah as for people who actually play Brawl in IA it will have to be Ngamer, Yink, Pcity and I which is enough for teams(Right Sekou).
Then theres also a couple of new faces who are wanting to improve and such but we haven't seen much of them yet.

@Everyone: If no one has any plans, we should all get together and play some stuff during Labor Day weekend. Anyone up for the idea?!?
Well you know me I'm always up for games and this sounds like a good idea, discuss.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Yeah I'll play the new KoF and MvC3 when they come out. Also Powerstone 2 is pretty bomb, that game has trixxx. I wanted to get it running on my laptop but I don't think its working too well, otherwise I don't have any DC controllers for the game.

Soran

Smash Ace

Well I'm never get bored of playing Brawl hell I'm learning Ice Climbers so yeah, I remember playing the first Powerstone a long time it was also the demo but **** it was fun, we could always play Naruto o.0

NARUTO! xDDD UNS2. looks. liek. teh shiz. I think it has online.

inb4someonecallsmeanarutard : P

Top Bottom