• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

INNsomnia Revival Discussion~ Memphis, TN

Ambix

Smash Ace
Alright gents, we're going to revive the INNsomnia tournament series. For Those who weren't active back in the olden days of memphis smash, The INNsomnia was a series of biweekly cash tournaments held at the pizza inn in west memphis, AR as well as a large tournament held once a year at the holiday inn right off of I-55.

It was an extremely krunk time to be a smasher in memphis. The biweeklies were basically the only smash action for MS, TN, and AR. Alabama came frequently too but those douchebags were next to georgia so they always got their fix.....bastards.

The large tournament held yearly was a widely respected tournamend series. It usually snagged between 70-100 people from 6 states. I remember seeing shizwiz at INN5 back when he wasn't such a beast.

Anyhoo, INNsomnia was hosted by a guy named PrinceZane and he has since moved on to this weird MMO called "IRL". It's over-rated.

That's it for the history lesson.

We're reviving the INNsomnia biweeklies and we're going to attempt to revive the large tournament as well. This thread will be a discussion thread to help us fine tune the tournaments. Feel free to contribute or make suggestions.

Here's a breakdown of what we currently have to work with, what we might end up needing, and logistics.

We currently have an adequate venue for the biweekly tournaments. It's located in southaven, MS roughly 5 miles south of downtown memphis. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. It's actually right there when you take the southaven exit off of I-55 south.

It has plenty of space (it can fit 35 people plus setups EASILY), a bathroom, lots of outletts, and it's located right next to a wendy's.

More importantly than that, we OWN the venue so there would be absolutely no need for a venue fee. All collected money would either go in to the pot or be saved to fund the large tournament (more on this later).

What we currently lack is fold-out tables and chairs but we're going to hopefully pick up a bunch of those today. We should probably aim to have about 6-7 tables and 25ish chairs to start with.

If anyone has any or knows where we can get them cheap please hit us up.

We'd also like to have as many setups as possible. As it stands we can be reasonably sure of having about 5-6 full melee setups between me and my crewmates. If you can bring a setup, PLEASE do so. Don't slack on this.

As far as pricing goes we can do it a few ways. The main goal of the bi-weeklies is to fund the large regional tournament. Specifically we need two things for that large tournament to work. A hotel conference room (or equally suitable venue), and a sizeable starting cash pot to attract the big name players (which will in turn attract all the other players).

The bi-weekly tournament itself will probably cost either 10 or 15 dollars to enter for singles (NEED INPUT) and the funding can be done one of two ways. We can either A) take 20-30% from the pot and save it for the big tournament or we can charge a small door fee and save that instead. It will be entirely up to everyone else. INPUTINPUTINPUTINPUT.

We have yet to set a time and date. This will also be entirely up to everyone else. INPUT!

I can assume that it will probably be on a friday or a saturday afternoon/evening though since that's usually when people have the most free time.

The success or death of this will ultimately be interest. GET HYPE. please?

Off the top of my head I can come up with about 20 people who would probably attend these:

Ambix (peach)
Ihavespaceballs (samus/falco/Falcon)
Iori (Pineapple)
myzztek (falco/Sheik)
hyperdragon (luigi/Link)
Cyner (Samus/Link)
BunBun (Kirby/Falco/Sheik)
Tasty (Marth)
Wezl (Falcon)
VTS (IC's/Jiggs)
Arby (Everyone)
Shaka (no idea)
Tavarus (falco/falcon)
Forrest (Peach/Yoshi)
Toast (falco)
Kyo (Falcon)
Winnar (Marth)
VueBrawler (Fox)
Zero (Ness/Fox)
Talon (Fox)

This is just a rough throw-away list i put together off the top of my head. These are the people I've played the most frequently in the area. If I forgot any of the other memphis smashers, please PLEASE post in this thread. We need active players to make this work.

That's 20 smashers right there.

At $10 a head, that's a 200 dollar pot.

That would mean for a 60/30/10 pot split 1st place would make $130, 2nd would make $50, and 3rd would make $20.

The pot split isn't set to those percentages. Give me input and we'll tweak it.

So yeah. Spread the word.

This thread will be updated soon with pictures of the venue, the adress, directions, and any other basic information that needs to be included.

It'll also get updated with an accurate list of setups and attendence.

EDIT: Solid information so far:

The address is 963 Town & Country Dr. and it looks like Saturday from 12:00 PM onward is the currently preferred time and date.

As it stands it's looking like people prefer a door fee, so the tournament will probably be $10 for singles, $20 for doubles per team (10 per person) and the door fee will be $5.

Pot split will probably be 60/30/10

Accurate list of people who are interested so far:

Ambix
Ihavespaceballs
Wezl
tasty
G.vice
zero
sandbox
Seifersythe
Mc cloud (holy balls i haven't seen you in years)
Yoshimanssbm
BunBun
myzztek
nite
lemmons
Womp
KO
Joot
VueBrawler
moogle
cyner
Talon

Crap we need more input on:

Time and date
Pot dispersal
How much per tournament we save for funding
How we fund (take it out of the pot or charge a door fee)
People interested in attending
who can bring setups

Sandbox87

Smash Rookie
I work biweekly weekends so if this is set on the weekends I'm off I am so down! I work this weekend and off next weekend so use that for you planning if you want me to come. :)

MmmM ITZ TastY

Smash Cadet
I would definitely be down for friday nights almost every single week.......as long as the time isn't made to be super late. I work around 10 usually at the airport area. So the drive down to southaven wouldn't keep me away as long as I can go straight towards work afterwards. During the week is usually just ruff for me to go to the view and such because of my busy schedule i need zzzzzz's....on a friday though ill just say **** it.

Although I of course have no particular interest in it, adding brawl would be a very good idea if the main purpose of the bi-weeklies is to make $$$$$$......seeing as how memphis brawlers has already started to grow to what I would consider rather respectable.

Edit: oh yeaaaa *cough cough*
tasty (falcon/IC)
Wezl (marth/Samus)

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
<insert first post here>
My name is Zane, and I approve this message.

But yeah, I'll do my best to provide any into, advise, etc. you guys need. I'm working all weekends for who knows how long so I doubt I'll be able to make a cameo.

Regardless, it brings a tear to my eye just seeing the thought and effort already involved even if nothing happens. I love you all. <3

G. Vice

Smash Lord
My name is Zane, and I approve this message.

But yeah, I'll do my best to provide any into, advise, etc. you guys need. I'm working all weekends for who knows how long so I doubt I'll be able to make a cameo.

Regardless, it brings a tear to my eye just seeing the thought and effort already involved even if nothing happens. I love you all. <3
My name is also Zane, but I'm better known as G.Vice. I like this too, I would definitely show up provided my schedule allows it.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Off the top of my head I can come up with about 21 people who would probably attend these:

Yoshiman(Ness/Yoshi/Marth)
Ambix (peach)
Ihavespaceballs (samus/falco/Falcon)
Iori (Pinapple)
myzztek (falco/Sheik)
hyperdragon (luigi/Link)
Cyner (Samus/Link)
BunBun (Kirby/Falco/Sheik)
Tasty (Marth)
Wezl (Falcon)
VTS (IC's/Jiggs)
Arby (Everyone)
Shaka (no idea)
Tavarus (falco/falcon)
Forrest (Peach/Yoshi)
Toast (falco)
Kyo (Falcon)
Winnar (Marth)
VueBrawler (Fox)
Zero (Ness/Fox)
Talon (Fox)
Fixed for truthlyness! :glare:

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I initially assumed this was just a call to arms/hype about finding a venue and hosting events, without any actual solutions being presented. Fortunately the part about actually having a venue caught my eye, or I would have just gone "tl;dr" and ended up looking sillier than usual. Good stuff, can't wait to see it. Is this near the Wendy's on Stateline or Church?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
When I go home over the Christmas holidays I'll be sure to grab my little table and a chair or two. I wouldn't mind donating them to a good cause like this. The only issue for me will be time, seeing as how I have church on Sunday. I like Friday personally, cause then I get to stay extra and smash into the next day with you Memphis people.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Alright so does anyone have a problem with friday then?

I know spaceballs works on friday untill 5ish so let's say 6 PM untill whenever? We'd have the venue all night so time literally wouldn't be a problem.

My and myzztek went by and took pictures this morning.

im uploading them now.

The venue as it turns out is big enough to not only host the biweeklies but it also seems like it's big enough for the large tournament is well. My original estimate was 35....turns out we could fit 70 people in there easily.

It's a lot bigger than we expected.

It's a bit dirty right now but me and austin are going to get in there and clean it sometime this week.

EDIT:

We have access to all 4 of those rooms but we wouldn't need to use both. We were planning to use the left two for the biweeklies and the whole thing for the big tournament.

Apparently we need to open up an account with the power company but it should be extreamly cheap since we'd only be using it twice a week.

It'd cost 30 bucks a month probably. We could just take it out of the pot if we had to but covering something like that out of pocket should be simple.

What do you guys think?

Time and date
Pot dispersal
How much per tournament we save for funding
How we fund (take it out of the pot or charge a door fee)
People interested in attending
who can bring setups
Where we can get cheap or free tables / chairs

Myztek

Smash Ace
Yeahuz man.
If all goes as planned it'll be pretty sweet.
The address is 963 Town & Country Dr.

And yes, Jack, its by the Wendys on Stateline.

BunBun

Smash Master
$10 entry fee.
15-20% pot saved.
60/30/10 split.

All my opinion, of course.

I have 7 TVs and quite a few power strips/ extensions, + 2 or 3 gamecubes. Sadly, I have 0 copies of Melee.

Ambix

Smash Ace
$10 entry fee.
15-20% pot saved.
60/30/10 split.

All my opinion, of course.

I have 7 TVs and quite a few power strips/ extensions, + 2 or 3 gamecubes. Sadly, I have 0 copies of Melee.
I was actually thinking that if we get 20+ people we should split the pot 50/30/10/10.

110 / 50 / 20 / 20 is a lot of money. 20 bucks is still doubling your money and having more money finishes available will heighten interest.

Can we count on you to bring all those TV's?

EDIT:

never mind on the pot split. I forgot to factor in what we take out for funding.....assuming we take it out of the pot instead of just charging an extra 5 for entry and have that go towards funding.

72/ 48/ 16 is the 60/30/10 dispersal assuming we get 200 bucks.

BunBun

Smash Master
Yeah. Besides, you can't do 50/30/10/10 xD That's saying 3rd gets as much as 4th.
You'd have to do it like 50/30/15/5 or something. Rather than 5, maybe just money back for 4th.

WEZL

Smash Cadet
Friday sounds good to me. I currently work every Friday, but I can change my availability during next semester so I should get Fridays off.

I think 20% of pot should go to the big tourny pot and then maybe charge 1$ at the door for the electricity bill (that should be enough).

Also, I have one tv I could bring.

Edit: Nite! I need more Marth training dude. Come to the Vue sometime.

Nite

Smash Champion
When do you guys smash at the Vue? I could probably go when I get my license. Shouldn't be long (maybe xD)

WEZL

Smash Cadet
We are up there every Tuesday night from around 5:30-10:30. Nice venue plus it has CiCis right next door.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I see my name up there

maybe jeff/logan's should be there too?

definitely interested in seeing this happen! :D

PS I'm hosting monthlies and Chad is talking about hosting monthlies

maybe we can coordinate between all of us and make sure none of us overlap each other? My first one is on 1/8

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I have 2 operable tv's for melee and 2 copies of melee! I'm in (I'm going to get destroyed, but I'm down lol). I'm definitely interested.

Suggestions: I think a venue fee of like $3 would be a decent idea, and all that money could go toward saving for the big tournament. I'm pretty sure none of us are really looking at this for the money aspect of it. Also, the people who win could, voluntarily, put their winnings back in the pot if they decided to do so. It's just a thought. I won't win anything so it's easy for me to suggest that.

Also... Why not take 50% of the pot for the savings? That's the true goal of this. The more savings, the faster and bigger the tournament develops.

Coordinating Schedules: Winnar is right, we need to coordinate schedules. Since the Memphis Brawlers only do it once every month or month and a half it shouldn't be hard to avoid us, and Winnar does monthlies. If there are 4 weeks in a month, we could do 2 INN bi-weeklies and Winnar and I can discuss who gets which of the remaining weekends.

j00t

Smash Champion
Here is my post of interest. INN5 was my first tournament ever and it was ****ing awesome. Can't wait for INN6

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer

Pot dispersal - 60/30/10 is the best way to go in my opinion. 1st gets the most which they should, 2nd gets more than money back, and 3rd gets to play for free. Could do 70/20/10 but that leaves a bigger gap between 1st and 2nd and ususally the final match is closer than this payment format would warrant (better match = more money for the people involved in it, etc.)

How much per tournament we save for funding - At the biweeklies I tried to do it based on attendance. 25% or so if it was < 25 people, 50% if > 25... but we also had a pretty constant attendance of 30-40 back then so my old formulas probably won't fit correctly

How we fund (take it out of the pot or charge a door fee) - Door fee is much easier to calculate (plus you get the bonus to pot money from people that just want to come hang out rather than play in the tournies so the pot grows faster).

Where we can get cheap or free tables / chairs - Check around town, especially if you see some place doing remodeling or something. They normally just take their old stuff to a dump. If you have to resort to buying, maybe talk to some supply store and see if you can negotiate/haggle about a discount for buying in bulk

Ambix

Smash Ace
Hey zane do you still have that lockbox you used for INN5? Also how much money did you need to save for the big tournament?

It might be easier on us since we do't need to rent a conference room and everything we save can just be used for the big pot or small expenses.

Also how'd you handle the pizza?

EDIT:

The people that are interested need to start posting and telling me what they think. Do you want us to take the money out of the pot or charge a door fee? Do you care if it's on friday at 5 PM onward? This tournament is for you. Tell us what you want.

j00t

Smash Champion
I vote for a door fee. Taking out of the pot means less interest for those who place in the money.

Ambix

Smash Ace
I'd say door fee

Also if we are able to show up it will probably have to be...8'ish?
Is that an absolute bare minimum or can you stretch that a little?

Tasty said:
I would definitely be down for friday nights almost every single week.......as long as the time isn't made to be super late. I work around 10 usually at the airport area. So the drive down to southaven wouldn't keep me away as long as I can go straight towards work afterwards. During the week is usually just ruff for me to go to the view and such because of my busy schedule i need zzzzzz's....on a friday though ill just say **** it.
Is that 10 AM or 10 PM?

Would you not be able to make it if we did do it rather late on friday?

The old INNsomnia bi's used to run from sundown to sunup. It wasn't a problem for me but I know chad and myzztek used to have hellish sunday's at work after an INN but they still went anyway because it was amazing.

Winnar

Smash Lord
*moogly seal of approval*
My first instinct was to edit the title of this thread with MOOGLE SEAL OF APPROVAL?!

but alas I am not the OP :(

also ambix, I can't really commit to anything before 8 for now. We'll see what this semester looks like, but last semester I worked until 5 every day and it takes 3 hours to get there.

We'll see I suppose

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
]Hey zane do you still have that lockbox you used for INN5? -- I think it's at my folks' place. I'll have to check next time I go that way.

Also how much money did you need to save for the big tournament? There never was a minimum or maximum. I just pushed for whatever we could. Obviously the higher the pot the more attractive it is for out of staters.

It might be easier on us since we don't need to rent a conference room and everything we save can just be used for the big pot or small expenses. -- Definitely would. I would still charge a cover at the big tourney to be able to cover small expenses. It's surprising how many little costs you over look, especially if you get into advertising with fliers and all that kind of stuff.

Also how'd you handle the pizza? -- I made a deal with the actual owner of the Inn. Won't be possible since the Inn is closed now. :\

The people that are interested need to start posting and telling me what they think. Do you want us to take the money out of the pot or charge a door fee? -- Door fee is still the best way to go. Tourney winners don't like their pot money being smaller ;)

Do you care if it's on friday at 5 PM onward? This tournament is for you. Tell us what you want. -- I want Spaceballs to win the first one. That is all :)

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I'm just sad that Brawl is completely excluded from this event. :urg: We've built up a good competitive Brawl community (Talon, Tatsumaki, Jester Kirby, DarkWing, Thrillerman, Iori, Warpd, etc...). Oh well I guess.

Ambix

Smash Ace
I'm just sad that Brawl is completely excluded from this event. :urg: We've built up a good competitive Brawl community (Talon, Tatsumaki, Jester Kirby, DarkWing, Thrillerman, Iori, Warpd, etc...). Oh well I guess.
I'm not excluding brawl. I just don't want to run a tournament series for a game I don't play.

If you want to run it, ask myz about using the venue for a brawl tournament.

The large tournament wouldn't have brawl though. It would be unmanagable.

Top Bottom