• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Infinites may give certain characters advantages,but it doesn't nescessarily mean they should be eliminated from play.

Ruling out something a charcters can do to another character is taking it way to far as far as im concerned.May be if 1 character could chaingrab and no others could then may be.

Just learn to not let your self get grabbed so easy etc.......

HA HA! some people really want this thread to die dont they?
i think like 80+ other people have already said all that, and more, but some people still ***** about infinite/CG losses anyway. that is why this thread has not died yet.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
this thread will die when the nub(youknowwhaters'08)posters from texas stop trying to ban infinites and LERN2NOTGETHIT/GRABBED

also,i notice the shift in power,most old members want to allow inf.CGs,o.o

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
this thread will die when the nub(youknowwhaters'08)posters from texas stop trying to ban infinites and LERN2NOTGETHIT/GRABBED

im sure its not all the 08's, just a certain few who don't understand the phrase:

"don't get grabbed....."

oh and your quote is priceless. but i think it should be Marth not MK, you know the who CG thing....... >__>

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Metaknight has more R4pe power than marth,o.o thts my fix'd version

its a 90% 08'er,99% of those 'you ovbiously dont understand what "dont get grabbed" means and you should quit if its that much of a problem' the other 1% is Texas Smash and scince i second IC im gonna stay away as far as possible from there

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
naw you should go anyway and watch all the infinite whiners cry as you CG them to oblivion. i can't ever get the CGing right so thats why i only pick the IC's for fun. :( in fact i can't CG well at all with any character who can do it....

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
i hate infinite's, there cheap, and they don't prove skill at all, like in melee for example, it could take hours getting a SHFFL'd Nair down, but only a few minutes to get an infinite down

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i hate infinite's, there cheap, and they don't prove skill at all, like in melee for example, it could take hours getting a SHFFL'd Nair down, but only a few minutes to get an infinite down
to anyone else coming in with a statement like this please read the first 10 pages and possibly the most recent 5. so that this kind of post is no longer repeated cause its answer is already in this thread somewhere. oh and it takes much much longer to do the IC's infinite than 5 minutes. you may get the mechanics for it down, but i doubt you could do it w/o really thinking about it.

Oracle

Smash Master

I'm from texas, and I don't mind infinites being allowed -_-

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman

:( I'm okay with infinites and chaingrabs...

xXSciophobiaXx said:
Justa a quick thought, Yuna. If the point of competitive smash is to win, why is anything banned?
Let's say Captain Falcon somehow develpos an infinite that works on every character (even ICs), on any stage, and the infinite is EXTREMELY easy to pull off. End of Brawl tournaments, no?

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
:( I'm okay with infinites and chaingrabs...

Let's say Captain Falcon somehow develpos an infinite that works on every character (even ICs), on any stage, and the infinite is EXTREMELY easy to pull off. End of Brawl tournaments, no?
well... according to Yuna, no its not, the point is to win, and if you can't win with a different character, everyone will be captain falcon.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Yuna said:
It's the DK's choice to go DK against a character he knows he's at a huge disadvantage against, just as it's Ike's choice to go up against Pit on Final Destination. We do not ban things because they create unfair matchups. We ban them if they break the game ("Everyone plays as DDD or lose!").
Pretty sure my exmaple fits what Yuna said on the first page.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure my exmaple fits what Yuna said on the first page.
Yes.... of course its the players choice on who to choose. But you said if that captain falcon tactic was discovered, you said it would end tournaments. I simply think that directly contradicts what Yuna said for competitive smashers, if the point of competitive smash is truly to win, that won't matter, and there won't be a banned stage or tactic. Why wouldn't you choose the best character, and the cheapest stage so that you can infinite somebody?

I believe that, despite what Yuna said, I bet... uhh... He/She (unsure of gender! sorry Yuna!) plays brawl because it truly is fun, and you play to compete to see who is better, and that is fun. I don't anyone would play brawl (competitively) if as soon as captain falcon got someone in a grab it automatically resulted in a loss of a life, if the captain falcon player did the correct input of buttons.

Please tell me if im wrong, I'd like to learn more! (I'm not here to flame XD)

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Yes.... of course its the players choice on who to choose. But you said if that captain falcon tactic was discovered, you said it would end tournaments. I simply think that directly contradicts what Yuna said for competitive smashers, if the point of competitive smash is truly to win, that won't matter, and there won't be a banned stage or tactic. Why wouldn't you choose the best character, and the cheapest stage so that you can infinite somebody?

I believe that, despite what Yuna said, I bet... uhh... He/She (unsure of gender! sorry Yuna!) plays brawl because it truly is fun, and you play to compete to see who is better, and that is fun. I don't anyone would play brawl (competitively) if as soon as captain falcon got someone in a grab it automatically resulted in a loss of a life, if the captain falcon player did the correct input of buttons.

Please tell me if im wrong, I'd like to learn more! (I'm not here to flame XD)
Think tournament creators also want their tourney to be as fair as possible where the infinites that people perform actually take skill. Why ban 3D's Dthrow wall infinite if there's no wall? And Yuna is a guy.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Think tournament creators also want their tourney to be as fair as possible where the infinites that people perform actually take skill. Why ban 3D's Dthrow wall infinite if there's no wall? And Yuna is a guy.
But... according to Yuna, if he represents the average competitive smasher, fair isn't taken into consideration, its all about winning. It doesn't matter if captain falcon can beat every other character with one simple and very easy tactic, (unfair) and someone like yoshi (who according to most is garbage) is nearly impossible to win with, It doesn't seem like it should matter, if its truly about playing to win, there would be no bans whatsoever. And if it is only to win as well, skill is obsolete, if you find a very easy way to win, employ that, and exploit it to its maximum.

I do not believe this is how competitive smasher truly feel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Sx4g2GFRg&feature=related Gimpyfish said at 10:10 that competitive smasher do play the game for fun. Im not going to directly quote his words. So I believe Yuna was probibally exagerating.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
But... according to Yuna, if he represents the average competitive smasher, fair isn't taken into consideration, its all about winning. It doesn't matter if captain falcon can beat every other character with one simple and very easy tactic, (unfair) and someone like yoshi (who according to most is garbage) is nearly impossible to win with, It doesn't seem like it should matter, if its truly about playing to win, there would be no bans whatsoever. And if it is only to win as well, skill is obsolete, if you find a very easy way to win, employ that, and exploit it to its maximum.

I do not believe this is how competitive smasher truly feel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Sx4g2GFRg&feature=related Gimpyfish said at 10:10 that competitive smasher do play the game for fun. Im not going to directly quote his words. So I believe Yuna was probibally exagerating.
Let's just agree on that some infinites need to be banned and Brawl is unbalanced. :laugh: And Yuna seems a little pessimistic compared to Gimpyfish and the other guys in the vid. We can't really change tourney rules, so the best thing for us to do is adapt, I guess :ohwell:

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Let's just agree on that some infinites need to be banned and Brawl is unbalanced. :laugh: And Yuna seems a little pessimistic compared to Gimpyfish and the other guys in the vid. We can't really change tourney rules, so the best thing for us to do is adapt, I guess :ohwell:
Would you then agree that competitive brawl is not completely about winning? I would definately say brawl is imbalanced, and there are levels, and infinites that should be banned. I would say the primary reason behind these bans is "fun" or to level the playing ground for all players/characters.

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
Would you then agree that competitive brawl is not completely about winning? I would definately say brawl is imbalanced, and there are levels, and infinites that should be banned. I would say the primary reason behind these bans is "fun" or to level the playing ground for all players/characters.
:)Smiley Face approves of this post. I've always thought of tournaments as a blend of competitiveness and fun. The Smash community is a pretty close one and most competitive smashers cheer each other on, joke with each other, etc. Gaming tournaments can't be ALL about winning. If tourney players weren't having fun, I doubt so many people would participate at tourneys.:)

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
:)Smiley Face approves of this post. I've always thought of tournaments as a blend of competitiveness and fun. The Smash community is a pretty close one and most competitive smashers cheer each other on, joke with each other, etc. Gaming tournaments can't be ALL about winning. If tourney players weren't having fun, I doubt so many people would participate at tourneys.:)
A person who is actually intellegent, makes sense and isn't a jerk! A truly rare discovery!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
the point is to win at tournaments though. oh sure if you can have fun while your there too thats perfectly fine, and hopefully expected, but that prize money is calling..........

fredymartinez1

Smash Journeyman
u can still dodge grabs and yet attack be more defensive....... jump ...... chain grabs r useless if ur good enough to dodge....

The H Kid

Original
In my opinion, only the defensive infinites shouldn't be allowed....

But then again all of the Infinites are just another technique and techniques really shouldn't be banned.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
you're all forgeting one thing, the only reason anyone plays brawl seriously is for money..not for fun or "to win" as yous may say..its about money ;P

Smash64 and Melee where for fun :)

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
you're all forgeting one thing, the only reason anyone plays brawl seriously is for money..not for fun or "to win" as yous may say..its about money ;P

Smash64 and Melee where for fun :)
I would agree, that there are people that go out there for the money, but I honestly don't think thats all they care about, they wouldn't go out to a tournament for money, if say... a character could 0-death combo you everytime with relative ease, I believe that the competitors enjoy having an close-to-even playing field for a bunch of characters, I certainly wouldn't go to a tournament where everyone was iceclimbers and all they did was 0-death combo you. Even if i was the best ice climbers player in the world and I could do a 0-death combo I wouldn't do it, because thats a game where all individuality is lost, everyone plays ice climbers and there is one tactic that trumps all. Like rock paper scissors, but without rock and paper.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
but the IC's grab range sucks and the theres alot more to it that just grabbing, Nana must be desynced. kill Nana no more IC CG. besides w/o it the IC arent even that special, it essential to their meta game to be able to do it. thats why you can just counter pick.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
well... according to Yuna, no its not, the point is to win, and if you can't win with a different character, everyone will be captain falcon.
NO. An infinite WOULD be banned without a doubt if it caused the game to turn into a game of one character trying to do one thing and win. However, this is NOT THE CASE. Look at Melee's Wobbles and my point is proven.

Foxy

Smash Master
Why the hell is this thread still alive? I remember Mookierah winning it way back in the first 10 pages, like months ago.

Anyways, regarding bans:

The goal of a ban is to remove strategies, characters, items, or situations that reduce competitions to only that and possibly a few other options. Why? Because as much as playing to win means utilizing everything at your disposal, regardless of fairness, any good competitive game NEEDS to retain some kind of skill gap.

Simply put, the more consistently a more skilled and knowledgeable player wins over a lesser one, the better. In Melee, the top players in the country consistently place at the top, with Mew2King still winning most of his tourneys. That's an example of a good competitive game.

If there's things or tactics that reduce the game to only that element in competition, then worse players will have a higher probability of beating better ones due to lack of variety and learning curve. So those things or tactics warrant a ban.

However, banning is something that competitive communities AVOID AT ALL COSTS unless it is absolutely needed, such as I just pointed out. Even if it retracts from play a great deal, like the limited viability of characters other than Snake, MK, and D3 among talented players, it still must be kept an option, or else streams of needless banning will ensue.

Competitive play in Brawl has never even come close to being reduced to infinites. So, no ban.

These last two paragraphs are kind of poor and random, I just mentioned that stuff for the hell of it.
[And lets say that some ridiculous infinite was found that could combo a an enemy from zero percent to death, without the user needing to account for DI, without requiring precise timing or inputs, with no need for modifications based on the current situation, and available to even the weakest player. This, in fact, may not even need a ban. With something like this, likely a "soft ban" would appear, where really skilled players have an unwritten rule that the combo is crap and ruins competitive play and they all refuse to use it. In the event that a new player, with no sense of honor, tries to win a tourney with this tactic, he would likely fall flat on his face, destroyed by much better opponents who can avoid the beginning of the fatal combo.

Zero to deaths existed in Melee, in countless shapes and forms, but they were results of very taxing technical play, mindgames, tech chasing, DI prediction, and luck. Yet, if you watch pro matches, they happen very, very often. These aren't even up for ban discussion because they're just evidence of player skill and execution. A lesser case of this is the IC infinite grab combos that so many complain about. It may not be near as hard as zero-to-deathing a pro player in Melee, but it still requires a set-up, difficult timing, and some technical skill.]

crewster

Smash Lord
Infinites shouldnt be allowed:( they're just cheap and some charecters have a advantage:mad:. I mean wot do infinites do to enybody. they help the people who can do them. I have no idea why the are allowed

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Infinities are stupid, they should be banned or something.
The point of the game may be to win, but you're supposed have fun in the process, infinities ruin that and they aren't supposed to be abused to such a huge extent, in my opinion, and I'm sure many other peoples' opinions, infinities are deemed cheap and unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom