• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinites: Why, exactly, are they allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@ Veggi
Fox can be CG by Peach, Pikachu, IC, DDD, Falco, Kiby, Sheik has ftilt, Zamus Dsmash lock, and thats all i know at this point. two moves is nothing to be proud of but some characters just don't have a ton of good approach options, and if you can't force someone to approach you then you have to work with what you got. my last sentence was mostly for myself. if not for some things like CG and infinites i probably wouldn't play brawl at all since those few tactics actually give me something to work past. if all items and stages were playable only a few characters could actually be viable. MK and Snake would still be good. would you like parts of the enviorment directly getting in the way of your fight? or what if an assist trophy happens to spawn right in front of who your fighting? too much randomness. thats why items and some stages are banned

Veggi

Smash Champion
@ Veggi
Fox can be CG by Peach, Pikachu, IC, DDD, Falco, Kiby, Sheik has ftilt, Zamus Dsmash lock, and thats all i know at this point. two moves is nothing to be proud of but some characters just don't have a ton of good approach options, and if you can't force someone to approach you then you have to work with what you got. my last sentence was mostly for myself. if not for some things like CG and infinites i probably wouldn't play brawl at all since those few tactics actually give me something to work past. if all items and stages were playable only a few characters could actually be viable. MK and Snake would still be good. would you like parts of the enviorment directly getting in the way of your fight? or what if an assist trophy happens to spawn right in front of who your fighting? too much randomness. thats why items and some stages are banned
I know Fox can be chaingrabbed, but I don't know any infinites against him. I know, DK probably has it the easiest of the characters that can be infinited, but still it's just as hard for him as I said before and actually harder for other characters. You play a fighting game, as long as someone is better than you, you have something to work past. The infinites just make it so even if you are better than the person, they will still win unless your a very large level over them. How would there only be a couple tourney viable characters if items we're turned on? I like stages and items a whole lot more than infinite grabs. Accidently hit a stage hazard or falling into an item, I could just "not get hit."

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
@veggi

in order to keep mario, samus, and luigi in the infinite grab, DDD has to be able to pummel them twice with each grab in order to prevent his grab from getting stale. If his grab gets stale then its reach lessens and he can no longer reach the character after throwing them. The thing about that is, you can break out of a grab in Brawl so easily that in order for DDD to be able to pummel twice with each grab the character has to be quite a bit over 100% before the infinite will even work. One this has happened, their stock is almost gone anyway, so they don't really lose an entire stock from one grab, it's more like they lose the last 1/5 of their stock if the DDD can manage to KO them right out of the grab.

All of this considered, we must also remember that none of DDDs good kill moves come out fast enough for him to use them right out of a grab, so he'll have to either keep the grab going long enough for the f-tilt to kill you or let you go and try to get a killing attack in after he lets you go.

We must also keep in mind that the grab against Bowser is not truly infinite, and yeilds (this is an estimate, if I'm off someone please correct me) 150% or so before Bowser reaches the edge when grabbed from the middle of the stage.

Because of this, DK actually has it the worst of anyone suffering from the infinite grab because his is the only one that is truly infinite from 0%. As you said before, DK actually stands the best chance of outspacing the grab in the first place, thus allowing him to still be competitively viable against DK, even though the matchup will be very hard.

To clarify my views, I believe that several stages were indeed banned prematurely by some TO's who assumed they would end up being worse than they actually are.

This doesn't include stages like Summit, New Pork, and Temple which all will clearly lead to every match running the time limit every time due to camping and hit and run tactics.

Bottom line is, infinites will stay in because they don't make matchups unwinnable. The DDD infinites are actually pretty over rated.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
CG and infinites don't just even the playing field almost nulifing skill. look at MK Snake and G&W. if you try to match any of them with characters that don't do so well against them you have to be leagues better than them to win. Fox can be infinited to the death point. its hard for the lesser characters to win period, reguardless if CG was banned or not. if all that lesser player knows is how to CG then when matched against a better player they, the CG, are still going to lose if you avoid it. i like the temple, new pork city, and Eldin bridge. but id rather not 1 vs 1 someone there especially a camper. most of the items are broken to the point that you don't even need much thought to use them. i find a bat, i chuck it at people, simple results, no skill involved. and stage hazards distract from the fight like Port Town aerodive, there is only one safe spot to avoid the cars mostly, w/o having to jump over them, i don't think my opponent is going to share the safety spot with me till its over. the cars kill even heavies very early. what if your thrown/knocked into a hazard and have no way out? leveled playing fields and no items are ideal for fighting, nothing outside of the players themselves are effecting the fight.

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
So if all items and stages we're put back in the game it be broken and unbalanced, you'd have to agree to that. That would make the game better? The game is competitive, the game being unbalanced doesn't make it more. Runescape is a terrible game, yet tons of people still play it. It doesn't mean it's a good game, it means tons of people play it.

It would be random and become a bad game for COMPETITIVE PLAY.

No game is perfectly balanced. If you want to take tools from other characters, that is the same as taking tools from a top tier character. No different. What you are doing here is not adapting and instead complaining about imbalance. Play to win.

Yeah but Marvel IS a good game. It is a good game even though is is all the things you described that would break the game for you.

Essentially... why ban stuff just to make it easier for people who complain. Unfair? Who cares. Unbalanced? Play to win. Boring? haa

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if the best player in the world turns out not to be an ICs player, what would happen if he got 3 stocked by some no name scrub that didn't do any other move other than grab.

think about it, IC mains right now only have a few months(if that) of chaingrabbing experience. what happens as time goes on and they have YEARS of experience and don't mess up ever. will it then be banned? probably, since it is almost impossible to avoid grabs as any character at very high levels of play and the fact that 1 grab will lead to a stock loss. even top pros can't compete with that

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
if the best player in the world turns out not to be an ICs player, what would happen if he got 3 stocked by some no name scrub that didn't do any other move other than grab.
No one would care if tons of IC players couldn't replicate the same result time and again against players as the same caliber as this Phantom Best Player in the World.

think about it, IC mains right now only have a few months(if that) of chaingrabbing experience. what happens as time goes on and they have YEARS of experience and don't mess up ever. will it then be banned? probably, since it is almost impossible to avoid grabs as any character at very high levels of play and the fact that 1 grab will lead to a stock loss. even top pros can't compete with that
Think about it, in Melee, ICs had a much easier time getting a grab in and Chu Dat, Wobbles and others had years of experience. Did they win major tournaments with little effort and with such marginals it was almost impossible to anyone to beat them unless they went ICs?

Just because you think something is unfair does not make it so. ICs chaingrabs and infinites are not unfair enough to warrant a ban either by actual tourney results or even on paper. You obviously know very little about how Brawl and ICs work.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
No one would care if tons of IC players couldn't replicate the same result time and again against players as the same caliber as this Phantom Best Player in the World.

Think about it, in Melee, ICs had a much easier time getting a grab in and Chu Dat, Wobbles and others had years of experience. Did they win major tournaments with little effort and with such marginals it was almost impossible to anyone to beat them unless they went ICs?

Just because you think something is unfair does not make it so. ICs chaingrabs and infinites are not unfair enough to warrant a ban either by actual tourney results or even on paper. You obviously know very little about how Brawl and ICs work.
First of all it's not just ME who thinks that the ICs/infinites are unfair. half of the people in this thread are one my side, you make it seem as though I am alone in this argument. which I am not

Second of all how about I use a phrase that you have said constantly to people but I turn it around a little? just in case you somehow argue my first point

just because YOU think something is not broken doesn't mean it isn't

While the ICs may have had an easier time landing a grab(I don't think so) it was easier to seperate them. another factor was Nana's a.i. in brawl it is much better so she can always be at your side instead of staying on a platform and taunting.

ICs were buffed in everyway IMO, if wobbling was banned at tourneys in melee then it makes sense to ban some infinites in brawl. namely the IC's grab again

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
ICs were buffed in everyway IMO, if wobbling was banned at tourneys in melee then it makes sense to ban some infinites in brawl. namely the IC's grab again
ICs don't have an infinite. They have a chain grab. It ends eventually (sometimes with the victim's death)

Whoops. I haven't been keeping up with the Brawl ICs scene. Shouldn't talk about thing I don't know anything about.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ICs don't have an infinite. They have a chain grab. It ends eventually (sometimes with the victim's death)

Yes they do, it is an infinite chain grab. it doesn't end or start at a certain % and can't be stopped unless the player messes up like every other infinite.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
just because YOU think something is not broken doesn't mean it isn't
it's not broken until it affects tournament results.

broken isn't something subjective, broken is when a game diminishes to one tactic. Occasionally, if there is only one counter tactic and the game reduces to being nothing but these two tactics the initial broken tactic will be banned, but this is not always the case. There are a handful of competitive games that have been completely defined and reborn due to seemingly broken tactics such as this.

also, wobbling wasn't banned in melee. One major tournament in 2007 banned wobbles.

The ice climbers didn't get buffed in brawl. they just got changed.

Veggi

Smash Champion
@veggi

in order to keep mario, samus, and luigi in the infinite grab, DDD has to be able to pummel them twice with each grab in order to prevent his grab from getting stale. If his grab gets stale then its reach lessens and he can no longer reach the character after throwing them. The thing about that is, you can break out of a grab in Brawl so easily that in order for DDD to be able to pummel twice with each grab the character has to be quite a bit over 100% before the infinite will even work. One this has happened, their stock is almost gone anyway, so they don't really lose an entire stock from one grab, it's more like they lose the last 1/5 of their stock if the DDD can manage to KO them right out of the grab.

All of this considered, we must also remember that none of DDDs good kill moves come out fast enough for him to use them right out of a grab, so he'll have to either keep the grab going long enough for the f-tilt to kill you or let you go and try to get a killing attack in after he lets you go.

We must also keep in mind that the grab against Bowser is not truly infinite, and yeilds (this is an estimate, if I'm off someone please correct me) 150% or so before Bowser reaches the edge when grabbed from the middle of the stage.

Because of this, DK actually has it the worst of anyone suffering from the infinite grab because his is the only one that is truly infinite from 0%. As you said before, DK actually stands the best chance of outspacing the grab in the first place, thus allowing him to still be competitively viable against DK, even though the matchup will be very hard.

To clarify my views, I believe that several stages were indeed banned prematurely by some TO's who assumed they would end up being worse than they actually are.

This doesn't include stages like Summit, New Pork, and Temple which all will clearly lead to every match running the time limit every time due to camping and hit and run tactics.

Bottom line is, infinites will stay in because they don't make matchups unwinnable. The DDD infinites are actually pretty over rated.
I thought you only had to do the pummel for Samus and I know the Bowser one will eventually end, but do you really know how much % he's going to take? Plus 150% or so is enough to kill Bowser. Plus this isn't always assuming they get grabbed at 0%. I really have no knowledge on how far he can go with Bowser, so I can't really discuss it, we'd have to ask someone who knows. I don't understand how pummeling makes it hard, when I grab people normally I pummel. Dedede can only pummel twice at 100%?

Dedede can use his back throw as his final throw.

I don't think the Summit would run the clock out, rather it just wouldn't be as skill based. Hyrule and New Pork I understand though, yet there's still no excuse for the rest of the stages. They are banned because it gives large disadvantages. Whether it be a minor slip resulting in being hit by a car and losing a match that would have been won, or the Olimar player having to play much better because he couldn't recover because of the lack of edges. In this case, a minor slip up results in being grabbed. The infinite is a much larger disadvantage than any stage has to offer.

CG and infinites don't just even the playing field almost nulifing skill. look at MK Snake and G&W. if you try to match any of them with characters that don't do so well against them you have to be leagues better than them to win. Fox can be infinited to the death point. its hard for the lesser characters to win period, reguardless if CG was banned or not. if all that lesser player knows is how to CG then when matched against a better player they, the CG, are still going to lose if you avoid it. i like the temple, new pork city, and Eldin bridge. but id rather not 1 vs 1 someone there especially a camper. most of the items are broken to the point that you don't even need much thought to use them. i find a bat, i chuck it at people, simple results, no skill involved. and stage hazards distract from the fight like Port Town aerodive, there is only one safe spot to avoid the cars mostly, w/o having to jump over them, i don't think my opponent is going to share the safety spot with me till its over. the cars kill even heavies very early. what if your thrown/knocked into a hazard and have no way out? leveled playing fields and no items are ideal for fighting, nothing outside of the players themselves are effecting the fight.
Not so, I can beat those characters some what close to the same as the rest of the characters, actually the roster in Brawl is actually fairly balanced. Captain Falcon and Snake are close to the same threat to me, however Dedede, being in my opinion 4th best in the game. Is much, much more of a threat to me. Also, who can infinite Fox? Not being sarcastic, I've just never seen anyone before. The thing is, top players still get grabbed. I'm not one of the top players, if they can't do it. I can't either. I'm not going to win a match using only two moves, that's Metaknights job. The stages you listed arn't the only ones that are banned, and I'd love to play against a camper if it meant getting out of a match where I could get killed by a grab. If I get hit by a projectile it doesn't matter, it's a low amount of damage and it's easier to avoid than a grab.

Exactly my point on the items thing. The player gets an item, which is a tool just like the infinite. Similiarily it's easy to do just like the infinite. Does it take a mild amount of skill to use an item? Yes it does, does it take anywhere near as much skill as beating someone near your skill level without using the tool? No, it doesn't. I can avoid a bat easy. How much damage does throwing a bat do? Like 20%? Yet it's still viewed as over powered. The grab is much harder to avoid, the Dedede player has an infinite amount of them and they do as much damage as the Dedede player wants. Imagine Bowser who could throw an infinite amount of bats. Yes, scary.

About Port Town, they arn't going to share it with you. That's why you hit them off. Luckily whoever is hit off can just jump back on. Just don't get hit by the cars, just don't get eaten by the fish, just don't get hit by the bat, you're going to join the army, don't get shot. Sound familiar? Sometimes the answer is just too unrealistic to be taken seriously.

Normal play conditions and no extremely over-powered techniques are ideal fighting condition. The people play eachother, the one with the most skill wins=ideal playing condition.

It would be random and become a bad game for COMPETITIVE PLAY.

No game is perfectly balanced. If you want to take tools from other characters, that is the same as taking tools from a top tier character. No different. What you are doing here is not adapting and instead complaining about imbalance. Play to win.

Yeah but Marvel IS a good game. It is a good game even though is is all the things you described that would break the game for you.

Essentially... why ban stuff just to make it easier for people who complain. Unfair? Who cares. Unbalanced? Play to win. Boring? haa
If this game was balanced I wouldn't be complaining about anything. Dedede is very close to a top tier character. The top tier characters don't have any one tactic that's as over-powered as this one. It makes it so some characters have to be a very large level over them in skill or they arn't going to win=unbalanced.

If I went to Runescape and asked them if they thought it was a good game, they would all say "yes." The point still holds. If Marvel was more balanced would it be a better game? There's an obvious answer.

Why ban things for people who complain? I don't know, maybe they have a reason to complain. Maybe people complain for a reason. There's a starving child in Africa, he cries for food, don't give him food because he wants it?

Unfair? Who cares. Unbalanced? Play to win. Boring? haa
Never post something like this again.

Who cares? Everyone complaining about it. Play to win? Has nothing to do with this conversation. haa? (actually there was no reasoning behind this, there's nothing to say.)

Veggi

Smash Champion
it's not broken until it affects tournament results.
D Rank <Underused>
24 Jigglypuff (1 top4) - 21.8 - 27
25 Toon Link (5 top8, 1 top4, 1 win)- 19.0
26 Pokémon Trainer (2 top8, 1 top4, 1 win) - 18.8 - 30
27 Sheik/Zelda (2 top8, 3 top4, 1 top2) - 18.4 - 35
28 Bowser (1 top8, 2 top4, 1 win) - 17.6 - 29
28 Zelda (5 top8, 1 top4, 1 top2) - 17.6 - 24
30 Sheik (5 top8, 2 top4) - 16.5 - 32

E Rank <Never Used>
31 Link (1 top8, 1 top4) - 12.3 - 33
32 Yoshi (7 top8, 2 top4) - 11.8 - 36
33 Samus (4 top8) - 11.2 - 2834 Ness (5 top8, 1 top4) - 11.0 - 23
35 Mario (7 top8, 1 top4) - 10.3 - 34

36 Ganondorf (1 top8, 1 top4) - 2.5 - 38

37 Captain Falcon (2 top8)[ - 2.0
38 Luigi (3 top8) - 1.9 - 31
You think these characters are that bad?

broken isn't something subjective, broken is when a game diminishes to one tactic. Occasionally, if there is only one counter tactic and the game reduces to being nothing but these two tactics the initial broken tactic will be banned, but this is not always the case. There are a handful of competitive games that have been completely defined and reborn due to seemingly broken tactics such as this.

also, wobbling wasn't banned in melee. One major tournament in 2007 banned wobbles.

The ice climbers didn't get buffed in brawl. they just got changed.
From what I understand, those games could have been much better without the finding of extremely over-powered techniques. Street Fighter with Akuma would be a good re-born game with Akuma as a great addition to it?
If by one tactic, you mean: Grab over and over.
One counter tactic: Use two moves to not get grabbed.
Game being: DK vs. Dedede

Should all matchups that have one of the 5 Dedede infinite victims against Dedede be reduced to what I have above. Why do you think matches like this are better than normal ones like Fox vs. Mario or something?

^^
My bad, forgot to edit this into my last post and instead just posted the message normally.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
DK vs DDD is not the entire game of smash. It's one matchup. By one tactic being the only valid one I mean on Summit picking fox, shooting a laser, and playing ring-around-the-summit for 7 minutes. If I were up against someone in a tournament, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Yes you can break out of a grab in the time it takes to do one pummel at 100%. While you're in the animation of getting grabbed, you can buffer multiple inputs that actually allow you to instantly break a lot of grabs. (This is based on info in the insta-grab break thread). You do have to pummel mario and luigi. 150% is not enough to kill a bowser who can DI with a backthrow. The reason Bowser is so low is because he's a bad character with few options at any time. Luigi is low because he is unpopular in competitive play. When I said "until it affects tournament results" I meant seeing one character completely wiping the floor with everyone else. As the game stands now, Metaknight is far more broken than DDD.

In Super Turbo, Akuma could break the laws of the game in ways the other characters were simply unequipped to handle. If there were anything in brawl even close to as broken as Akuma locking people in the corner in crouch-guard position throwing double fireball after double fireball literally unable to move without getting hit hard, then I would say we should ban it. If there were anything in smash as broken as Akuma being able to jump and throw a double fireball and maintain his mobility while his fireballs were still moving controlling half the stage forcing your opponent back little by little then I would say to ban it.

DDD's grab is not this. He's still beatable by most of the characters he can infinite. G&W's turtle is more broken than DDD's grab infinite.

With Items, the reason we ban them is because characters don't start the round with item in hand and with full knowledge to counter it from the beginning. An item randomly gives an advantage to a player every 10-14 seconds for no reason. I think items can be fun, I think items take "skill" to use effectively sometimes. None of that matters because you can't prepare for an item spawn the same way you can prepare to deal with an infinite.

on the marvel vs. smash thing, does anybody here actually play marvel competitively? I don't. That's why I hardly ever talk about it. I hear it's way unbalanced, but apparently it's still a great game to lots of people. Those who didn't like it quit.

In SFIII Third Strike, there are three tournament viable characters out of the entire roster, but it's still an awesome game that can draw a crowd.

@ Veggi,

What exactly are you using to measure skill? if one player can beat another one are they not more skilled than the loser? We play the game we're given, and we change it only if something catastrophic is discovered. Even if the DDD infinite grab was an insta-win against all 5 characters, it still wouldn't be banned because having a situational infinite that only works on 5 characters just plain isn't broken enough to be banned. That being said, the DDD infinite is not powerful enough for random scrub X to beat even a regular tournament goer who only consistently makes it to the top 5 at local tournaments. Somebody using the DDD infinite who lacks other "skill" wouldn't be able to make it through the first round of pools at a big tournament.

:edit:

I don't mean any offense, but most of the people complaining about infinites are complaining about things that the infinites don't actually do. An infinite does not make a match unwinnable, it does not take away a stock instantly, and several of these infinites are not actually infinite. The DDD infinite is really only bad for Bowser and DK. DK can still win, and Bowser would lose to DDD anyway.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Veggi
since when were CF and Snake on the same level? and where were all the characters balanced? thats news to me. please explain. >__>

its not the bats damage, so much as its knockback. same with most items you throw at people, like the bumper. also would you like a random bob-omb appearing in front of your Bair, or dropping on your head during some other move and insta KO you?

since when was campers funner to deal with that a CG at least the CG must approach you or you do the appoaching to the point where both can get a hit. campers shoot until your at the percent to die mostly. like with Fox, i run around blastering you to around 100% then i time the Usmash.

Veggi

Smash Champion
DK vs DDD is not the entire game of smash. It's one matchup. By one tactic being the only valid one I mean on Summit picking fox, shooting a laser, and playing ring-around-the-summit for 7 minutes. If I were up against someone in a tournament, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Yes you can break out of a grab in the time it takes to do one pummel at 100%. While you're in the animation of getting grabbed, you can buffer multiple inputs that actually allow you to instantly break a lot of grabs. (This is based on info in the insta-grab break thread). You do have to pummel mario and luigi. 150% is not enough to kill a bowser who can DI with a backthrow. The reason Bowser is so low is because he's a bad character with few options at any time. Luigi is low because he is unpopular in competitive play. When I said "until it affects tournament results" I meant seeing one character completely wiping the floor with everyone else. As the game stands now, Metaknight is far more broken than DDD.

In Super Turbo, Akuma could break the laws of the game in ways the other characters were simply unequipped to handle. If there were anything in brawl even close to as broken as Akuma locking people in the corner in crouch-guard position throwing double fireball after double fireball literally unable to move without getting hit hard, then I would say we should ban it. If there were anything in smash as broken as Akuma being able to jump and throw a double fireball and maintain his mobility while his fireballs were still moving controlling half the stage forcing your opponent back little by little then I would say to ban it.

DDD's grab is not this. He's still beatable by most of the characters he can infinite. G&W's turtle is more broken than DDD's grab infinite.

With Items, the reason we ban them is because characters don't start the round with item in hand and with full knowledge to counter it from the beginning. An item randomly gives an advantage to a player every 10-14 seconds for no reason. I think items can be fun, I think items take "skill" to use effectively sometimes. None of that matters because you can't prepare for an item spawn the same way you can prepare to deal with an infinite.

on the marvel vs. smash thing, does anybody here actually play marvel competitively? I don't. That's why I hardly ever talk about it. I hear it's way unbalanced, but apparently it's still a great game to lots of people. Those who didn't like it quit.

In SFIII Third Strike, there are three tournament viable characters out of the entire roster, but it's still an awesome game that can draw a crowd.

@ Veggi,

What exactly are you using to measure skill? if one player can beat another one are they not more skilled than the loser? We play the game we're given, and we change it only if something catastrophic is discovered. Even if the DDD infinite grab was an insta-win against all 5 characters, it still wouldn't be banned because having a situational infinite that only works on 5 characters just plain isn't broken enough to be banned. That being said, the DDD infinite is not powerful enough for random scrub X to beat even a regular tournament goer who only consistently makes it to the top 5 at local tournaments. Somebody using the DDD infinite who lacks other "skill" wouldn't be able to make it through the first round of pools at a big tournament.

:edit:

I don't mean any offense, but most of the people complaining about infinites are complaining about things that the infinites don't actually do. An infinite does not make a match unwinnable, it does not take away a stock instantly, and several of these infinites are not actually infinite. The DDD infinite is really only bad for Bowser and DK. DK can still win, and Bowser would lose to DDD anyway.
I know it's not the entire game, but making a match-up extremely one-sided will really mess up people who only have one main.

When your at the summit, the bottom part goes into the water at a point in the cycle, Fox's laser only shoots in a perfectly horizontal line. He also has lag from putting away his blaster. As well as only one place where he could actually shoot you with the blaster without being punished. which is the bottom platform, where both you and Fox would have to be for it to work.

The animation of being grabbed is done in a split second. Also I read most if not all of the instant grab break and I only remember seeing the multiple inputs as a question. Was it actually found out that doing button inputs at the same time as being grabbed would break it early? If we're going to continue with the Bowser thing, I'm going to have to find out for sure how much damage Dedede can do to him with one grab.

You also can't say those things for sure, actually none of us can. Tourney results admittedly actually won't make a lot of sense in this arguement. Since there's actually no way to find out the reasons for where they are.

I agree that Metaknight is far more broken, but there's really nothing we can do to fix him. Although playing as DK, Mario ect. I'd much rather go up against MK than Dedede. 4th place for Dedede is still very high out of so many characters and getting rid of one of his tools would balance out the game more.

Akuma was extremely over-powered and I understand that he was well over need of a ban. However Dedede is like Akuma to a lesser degree and only on 5 characters. Dedede can lock a character in place from anywhere on stage and there's nothing they can do about it.

Dedede turtle is over-powered, but not as good as Dedede's infinite. The thing about items is that Dedede starts with an item. Having it given to him randomly at different times during to match would actually make me happier than what he has now.

But if more characters were tourney viable it would be a better game.

Normally a better player would beat the worse player. Dedede without the infinite ability against a Donkey Kong would most likely be an example of this. However once you give Dedede an ability to hold the DK player in repeated grabs until you could back throw him to his death it becomes very one-sided.

There are plenty of people that only have one main on Smash Boards. There should be absolutely no problem with that. Getting rid of this technique would give an undeniable boost to the characters that it's possible on. Which looking at they're tourney placing now, everyone other than Donkey Kong are doing very poorly. The Dedede player has to have a low amount of skill to get someone into a grab and just a little bit higher skill to pull it off. Like I said before the DK player has to be leagues better to win. Which shouldn't be the case.

Of the infinites that arn't infinite, the only one I can think of that isn't is Bowser, where its just very close to one. I'm not sure if I have enough information to keep up arguing. The next part is going to be about instant-grab breaks and honestly I know nothing about it because I've never seen anyone do it before. If it does eventually become a big thing that tourney players do, grabs become only useful for a basic throw ect. I'll have to admit I was wrong about everyone but DK. I have to disagree about Bowser though, he's not that bad of a character and a Bowser player with just a nothing-important skill level over the Dedede player has a good chance of winning assuming the chaingrab didn't exist.

@Veggi
since when were CF and Snake on the same level? and where were all the characters balanced? thats news to me. please explain. >__>

its not the bats damage, so much as its knockback. same with most items you throw at people, like the bumper. also would you like a random bob-omb appearing in front of your Bair, or dropping on your head during some other move and insta KO you?

since when was campers funner to deal with that a CG at least the CG must approach you or you do the appoaching to the point where both can get a hit. campers shoot until your at the percent to die mostly. like with Fox, i run around blastering you to around 100% then i time the Usmash.
The characters arn't perfectly balanced, but the difference between them people stretch to be more than it is. I find both good MK players to be a challenge as well as ones that are good with CF. Admittedly MK is more of one, but people assume CF is worthless just because he's the possibly the worst. The knock-back of the bat is large I know, but I'd rather have an enemy with a bat every twenty seconds than an infinite all the time. Bombs arn't instant-kill, and what if a bomb block dropped on Green Greens while you were attacking? That stage is still Counter-Pick. Bombs hitting you randomly doesn't happen often. I'd muuuuch rather deal with a bomb falling on me at low percents than an infinite.

The thing about D3 is he can camp and he has an infinite. I'm screwed either way. Campers arn't hard to deal with, just don't get shot right? Avoiding projectiles is nothing compared to grabs. I can stand in the middle of Fox's lasers and not do anything for 20 seconds and I'd rather even do that than get caught in an infinite. Wouldn't you? Plus I don't even need to do that. Fox's blaster has no hit-stun. I can just run through it and hit him or jump over it. Actually I can just jump over all projectiles. Against D3 I just try to hit him and get shield grabbed. Characters can just block attacks and grab when you're done.

Grunt

Smash Master
The only thing wrong with your rankings list is Zelda is Below Bowser.
is it because of DDD? no, he can't infinite her. Not to mention DK is no where in sight, so he must be able to get around it fine. I KNOW! It's MK ****** everyone. since you are trying to make the game as fair as possible, maybe we should get rid of MK, or, heck! let's get rid of everyone but Captain Falcon! that's about as fair as it can get, right?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Veggi
if you say MK is more broken than DDD. then how are you comparing Akuma, who ***** like the entire cast in SF to DDD? banning DDD CG only helps 5 characters. that doesn't reblalance the game even slightly. Bowsers still not that good even w/o the CG. with items on DDD can get more better anyway. the waddle dee toss sometimes thrown out capsules that, with items on, work like other capsules he can get a Free pokeball or what if the smash ball pops out and floats near him instant Uair or Dair and he's got it.

Veggi

Smash Champion
The only thing wrong with your rankings list is Zelda is Below Bowser.
is it because of DDD? no, he can't infinite her. Not to mention DK is no where in sight, so he must be able to get around it fine. I KNOW! It's MK ****** everyone. since you are trying to make the game as fair as possible, maybe we should get rid of MK, or, heck! let's get rid of everyone but Captain Falcon! that's about as fair as it can get, right?
Yep. However, not everyone plays Captain Falcon, therefore it's unfair to make them use a character they're bad with. Zelda is below Bowser and has no reason listed, therefore the only possible explanations are that Zelda is worse than Bowser, or the Zelda mains havn't been playing as well. Making rules about a technique isn't a big deal. Look at the new rules that were put up. Bowser can now suicide one of his stocks where it would normally take him to Sudden Death. No one asked any questions. If they put up a rule saying MK was banned, how do you think people would take it? He is an unbalanced character, however he is adored by many people not just because he makes people some money. But rather because they've actually come to only get good as MK and it would be unfair to make them pick up another character, same as the CF thing above. Banning one technique is different because Dedede mains already have a game against all the other characters that could be applied to the one against DK making them stand on equal ground.

@Veggi
if you say MK is more broken than DDD. then how are you comparing Akuma, who ***** like the entire cast in SF to DDD? banning DDD CG only helps 5 characters. that doesn't reblalance the game even slightly. Bowsers still not that good even w/o the CG. with items on DDD can get more better anyway. the waddle dee toss sometimes thrown out capsules that, with items on, work like other capsules he can get a Free pokeball or what if the smash ball pops out and floats near him instant Uair or Dair and he's got it.
Because MK only ***** the rest of the cast a decent amount. However Dedede ***** those certain 5 characters much harder than MK. Which is why I compared Dedede to Akuma on those 5 characters just to a lesser extent. Actually I don't know what extent, I don't play Street Fighter, but I do know that Dedede vs. those characters is extremely one-sided and Dedede does well against a lot of the other cast as well. Helping 5 characters, I would say it's much more than worth being done. I personally would love to see more Marios, Luigis, Bowsers, DK's and Samus' doing well in tourneys. How would Dedede be better at item play than the rest of the cast? If anything he would be worse due to his large frame. The Waddle-Dee toss throws items away from him and the chance that he throws an item isn't good.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
its still a chance, just like Peach, cause you can catch her bob-omb beam saber and Mr. Saturn if they are chucked at you, his large frame is a disadvantage but he recovers very well. also how is ****** 5/39 hardcharacters much worse than ****** 34/39 characters in varying degrees? and if he can't CG them then he really doesn't **** alot of anyone. luigi and DK are good, Mario average, Samus underaverage, Bowser bad. DDD or not. how good they are is not defined by DDD's CG.

General_Norris

Smash Rookie
Let's stop making nonsensical arguments please.

An unbalanced game is bad for competitive play and those who say otherwise are stupid.

A competition is a test of a player abilities to defeat other player. An unbalanced game kills most tactics narrowing the skillset neccessary to win. Narrowing the skillset neccessary makes the game less appealing for both a competitive and fun play.

An example: Deckbuilding is a skill in Magic: The Gathering . If everyone plays the same deck because it's the best it ruins that skill.

Would you like to play Smash if you only had one character avalible? I doubt so
(This is not the case)

I can assume everyone agrees on this.

Now here comes the debatable part. What do you prefer? A limited metagame with less restrictions or a better metagame with more bans?

As it is said frequently banning something because it's better than everything else doesn't make for a ban but if it's ten times better then it should be as it would unbalance the game way too much etc.

Now that X character makes Y character useless is no reason to ban X. However X character making most good characters useless is dangerous.

Another Magic example with combo decks: Trix being better that Cocoa Pebbles is not dangerous but Trix making every other deck either useless or completely geared to beat Trix is really dangerous.

Everyone should also agree up to this point.

Now people say that you can kill Nana or don't get grabbed. And following againg with Magic the Gathering (Citing Mike Flores):

"I am beginning with Trix (combo deck) because, regardless of how unstoppably scary it was, people would still shake their heads and point at the possibilities where the deck could betray its evil master. They desperately, and in most cases laughably, tried to build against perceived inefficiencies. For the most part, they failed. What if the opponent has an Erase when Illusions of Grandeur is on the stack? What if there is an Elvish Lyrist or Seal of Cleansing already in play? [...] .The most legitimate criticism of the deck was simply that Trix could lose to a bad Consult. Demonic Consultation was conditionally dangerous, and I have seen some of the best players in the world deck themselves on turn 3 and pull their hair out afterward. But you know what?

Not one of these was a good enough reason not to play the scariest deck in the history of Magic: The Gathering"

And no more MTG references. Now decide if those characters that are being grabbed would be useful if infinites were not around. If you can infinite C. Falcon it doesn't matter because he sucks. Now. Does those other characters suck to the point of not being played WITHOUT chaingrab? Would the game be a better game with or without it? (Remember that banning something just because it's better is also wrong)

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Veggi said:
I know it's not the entire game, but making a match-up extremely one-sided will really mess up people who only have one main.
Get a secondary. Learn to play the game within the game. The game of counterpicking. Sure, you play individual matches, but you have to learn how to work with tournament structure as well. It comes with the territory.

If you only main a character than gets infinited by DDD, you have to accept it and move on. Either learn to avoid the grab, or learn a second character that doesn't get infinited.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Wait wait, I get it now!

A non moving wall that you can get infinited against is better at chasing you and harder to avoid than DDD's infinite grab, and DDD's grab is a FANTASTIC show of skill and fighting between both players!

Ban walls! Those mobile, inescapable, unskilled spamming walls!

But the DDD infinite is hard...you ever tried tapping grab in the same rythym over and over... you can't even take your hand off the controller to drink a soda! Unless you set grab to L... then you can get your soda. So much skill is involved in landing this grab, because sheild grabbing, dashing sheilds, and dash grabs are so hard to land in Brawl.

This makes the entire metagame more interesting. For that matter, bring the walls back too. All you have to do is not get grabbed/hit near a wall, m i rite?

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Not everyone thinks this way, but seriously now, if an immobile wall that sets up for an infinite hurts that **** much, then surely a mobile infinite that can be packed around like a lunchbox and pulled out at any time is bannable.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
One character=/=stage being banned.
Considering MK's Dtilt lock, Zelda's Dtilt lock, Ike's Fthrow infinite and a few others then the stage with a wall could be banned.

Otherwise there is little reason to actually ban things.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@General Norris
while i don't get the Magic: the gathering comparison, cause i don't play the game, at least you seem to understand why something is banned and why its not.

Edit: i thought walled stages, for the most part, were banned in general because everyone can infinite on a wall.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You misunderstand what I was addressing earlier.

Gojira was whining about the walls because of DDD's infinite.
However if DDD's infinite against the walls was the ONLY infinite then the state most likely wouldn't be banned.

Its when you have the great majority doing an infinite that thins become an issue.

tl;dr one character is not enough to ban a stage.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Get a secondary. Learn to play the game within the game. The game of counterpicking. Sure, you play individual matches, but you have to learn how to work with tournament structure as well. It comes with the territory.

If you only main a character than gets infinited by DDD, you have to accept it and move on. Either learn to avoid the grab, or learn a second character that doesn't get infinited.
I've explained this before.
its still a chance, just like Peach, cause you can catch her bob-omb beam saber and Mr. Saturn if they are chucked at you,
Not sure what your referencing here.

his large frame is a disadvantage but he recovers very well.
That's all he has.

also how is ****** 5/39 hardcharacters much worse than ****** 34/39 characters in varying degrees? and if he can't CG them then he really doesn't **** alot of anyone. luigi and DK are good, Mario average, Samus underaverage, Bowser bad. DDD or not. how good they are is not defined by DDD's CG.
I've explained this already.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
@Veggi
i think more people than not have at least one seconday to deal with their mains bad matchups. either that or they deal with it.

what i ment about Peach is that she, like DDD, can randomly pull out items. sure DDD throws the capsule away, but that doesn't mean the item that came out goes flying too far away for him to get it. DDD's large frame isn't so bad with items on, since he can catch/dodge/destroy them like everyone else, or he can eat them. plus if he gets hit by the bumper DDD can come back from it more often than characters with bad recoveries. the large frame only means he's easier to hit.

i still fail to see how ****** 5 characters, only if they get caught in the grab, is worse than ****** practically the entire cast just by being there.

Veggi

Smash Champion
@Veggi
i think more people than not have at least one seconday to deal with their mains bad matchups. either that or they deal with it.

what i ment about Peach is that she, like DDD, can randomly pull out items. sure DDD throws the capsule away, but that doesn't mean the item that came out goes flying too far away for him to get it. DDD's large frame isn't so bad with items on, since he can catch/dodge/destroy them like everyone else, or he can eat them. plus if he gets hit by the bumper DDD can come back from it more often than characters with bad recoveries. the large frame only means he's easier to hit.

i still fail to see how ****** 5 characters, only if they get caught in the grab, is worse than ****** practically the entire cast just by being there.
Regardless, there are still a lot of people who only main one person. Like how so many really good players only main one character. If they pick up a secondary just for the match they will do much worse and will lose even though the skill level they had was higher than the other person to begin with. It's starting to bug me when people use "just deal with it" as a reason. If someone wins the final tourney match however the loser is given all the money. The winner should just "deal with it?" Things need to be changed.

Note that Peach automatically holds every item that she pulls out while Dedede throws it. Throwing it out would only give an advantage if no one was close to it. Wouldn't eating an item give Dedede a disadvantage? Any other character could just use it to their advantage, if they hate the item that bad they could just throw it off the edge. It doesn't have to be an item, Dedede's recovery is good. If anything item play would hinder this advantage because it's often just an off the roof/side of the screen kill. Leaving his good recovery useless. Items would give him a disadvantage because he doesn't have as much to deal with it as other characters. Metaknight is the best character in the game, however as I've explained. The match against him isn't anywhere near as hard as someone with an infinite against you. Don't say "only if they are caught in the grab" as though grabbing someone is a hard thing to do. Grabs are done lots of times just in average matches, even without the infinite.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
and all those people who only main 1 character understand that characters limitations, and deal with it. we can only give you blunt statements like "deal with it" because in the end thats all you can do. reality is a *****.
Peach can drop the item she is holding if hit and if caught the advantage turns to whoever caught it. DDD eating an item, unless its like a bomb, has no benifits or negatives from doing so.

Grabbing someone isn't hard, but its also not that easy, especially if you space yourself. the match against MK isn't as hard than DDD b/c DK does well against MK. look at any bad matchup like Fox V.S. Pikachu CG.

Veggi

Smash Champion
and all those people who only main 1 character understand that characters limitations, and deal with it. we can only give you blunt statements like "deal with it" because in the end thats all you can do. reality is a *****.
Peach can drop the item she is holding if hit and if caught the advantage turns to whoever caught it. DDD eating an item, unless its like a bomb, has no benifits or negatives from doing so.

Grabbing someone isn't hard, but its also not that easy, especially if you space yourself. the match against MK isn't as hard than DDD b/c DK does well against MK. look at any bad matchup like Fox V.S. Pikachu CG.
The whole point of this is that if something is bad and has the possibility of being changed, it should be changed. Yes, I know the chaingrab sucks. Hence why I'm complaining about it. The Infinite Dimsensional Cape was banned. Would you rather the victims of the cape just "suck it up?" How often do you pick up things and have them drop? If there's no reason to do something, then it's pointless to do. Which is why I brung it up.

Mario's grab range is terrible and I grab people so many times per match it's ridiculous to think it wasn't easy to do. Mario's grab is one of his easiest things to get people with and Dedede's would be even easier. The matchup vs. Dedede is harder because Dedede has such a ridiculous advantage. Not because MK is easy.

Grunt

Smash Master
D.I.C.K is impossible to get around.
not to mention the CG being "Bad" is subjective.
For the DDD player, it's very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom