• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inferno's Decarde, The Bowser Video & Critique Thread

B!squick

Smash Master
I like your Bowser Ixis
Yeah, but he plays too safe. No random DownBs or Gimpyfish combos. D: Actually, I don't think I've ever seen Ixis get a kill with an FSmash. :S

Anyway, out of all of them, the last one was probably the best one. The thing to always remember about spacies is that they're, like, allergic to Firebreath. So, more of that, especially when he's recovering. Not much else I can think to add. I'm sure Flayl is already busy with his 90 page document of suggestions. He seems to be the best at this critique thing. :)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
tooooo safe? i dunno about THAT one - i was actually watching thinking there were too many little risks here and there

moderate risk for minor reward

not a good trade ;P

everyone learns to spotdodge jab cancel -> klaw and jab cancel -> grab - so mix up a jab cancel fsmash for me please.

it'll catch the spotdodge

or whatever - be creative

don't just rinse and repeat all the time haha

like i've always said

ANYTHING that is predictable is punishable ;P

Flayl

Smash Hero
I can't tell if you're being serious about wanting my critique but here goes

Match 1:
You kept going for the grab in the beginning and ate 50% because of that. Going straight for the grab can be a good mixup but it's way too unsafe early match.
Should have went for the DTilt at 3:10

Match 2:
Exactly the same as Match 1, lol. Stay safe for the first part of your stock, klaw hop and space Jab.
Second stock you're doing the exact same thing, except this time you pull it off somehow... and instead of klawing out of release or Dthrowing you BThrow him :(
3:28 you also Bthrow him. Are you experimenting follow-ups or is this just a bad habit?
I noticed you were experimenting fortress tricks too.
You're really good at punishing phantasm, although Kira should have been a bit more careful with it.

Match 3:
Lol at 0:13
I'm mentally yelling "DTILT HIM, DTILT HIM" whenever you grab him after 100% lol
Firebreath when Falco is hanging from the ledge, I'm pretty sure that Pictochat's slanted ledge lets you hit him after his invuln frames are over. That goes for Yoshi's Island too.
Don't airdodge into his Fsmash, at 1:58. Whenever you're in a "Oh **** I'm heading for a charged smash and I can't go back" moment use fortress, the vertical boost sometimes saves you. Airdodging never works.
Kira rolls into you waaay too much. If he used it like once every stock it might work, but he's just getting punished constantly.
3:03 nicely DI'd (I think?)

Match 4
Don't short hop airdodge into Falco (or any other character for that matter), when you land make sure you're at Jab - FTilt range

Match 5
Ugggh Final Destination
0:38 another example of how airdoging into people is always a bad idea (although you might have been expecting an UAir?)
1:06 nicely done, although why Kira DI'd offstage I dunno
1:15 WTF what happened here?
1:30 it happened again. Is it your jab cancelling Falco's Phantasm? Are you able to do this on reaction?
1:46 Ok, you're amazing and you just changed the Falco matchup for me lol. Hopefully I'm fast enough to pull this off too.
1:57 I think you already know what I'd write here
2:04 Should have set up a firebreath edgeguard

Match 6
I got nothing new to say, nicely played.

I'm not going too indepth because mostly what's important is getting a feel for the matchup from experience, and I can only critique tactics. Your Bowser is great as always.

We have most of the ground work for the Falco matchup here, see if you want to add anything: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244529

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
I like your Bowser Ixis
Thanks Gimpy!

I don't like your Bowser Ixis
I hath lost thy respect Phiddlesticks.

@ Flayl

Yea i was being serious since you're usually the one who gives the most advice :)

Match 1: I have this silly obsession with trying to grab and chaingrab Falco before he does it to me, it did cost me, I'll learn to be more careful.

Match 2: I don't really have an impressive answer for why i backthrew multiple times, i just did. Personally i think i won this match mostly because i got lucky with abusing the stages gimmicks, i made too many stupid mistakes that would have cost me far more dearly on a neutral stage.

Match 3: As of late DTilt must be failing me or something since i've subconsciously cut down on the move in general, i really should make the most out of situations where i have the upper hand. My air dodging into Forward Smashes needs to stop, period. I watch myself do it and i can't help but think how i could have escaped with a minor penalty or even unscathed but lost a stock because of idiotic reactions. 3:03 yes that was SDI, its all i do whenever i'm being cg'd by Falco to avoid going offstage by Dair.

Match 4: Yea... the match speaks for itself. Can't see anything i did correctly this time round :/

Match 5: I wasn't expecting a Uair at 0:38, i was just being a ******. I have no idea how i managed to intercept his Dair at 1:06 and turn it around to a KO, maybe he wanted to Bair me offstage or something? I dunno.
It's hard to see from the quality of that video but yes, i did discover/realise that jab clanks/cancels Phantasm and can setup into many moves if i catch him off guard (as shown in the video), i think i adapted pretty quickly after the first successful hit, everytime i heard the move coming i'd attempt to Jab right away and its definitely worth it, much better than shielding i've deduced (as i get shield poked by Phantasm all the time). I'll try and implement Flame Breath into my game more, or in the space animal MU's at least, i should probably give the move a bit more credit.

Match 6: I did pretty well here, no Jab countering Phantasm's though.

I may go contribute my opinion to the In-deph matchup discussion and i'll be sure to read through it for more insight on the MU. Thanks again Flayl!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I have a weegee, peach, wario, donkey and yoshi one too.
A few were my moms first, she's so awesome lol, a few were from my dad, which he received from my mom. 2xutf.

Sliq

Smash Master
Up B clanks with phantasma too, and I find it is easier to do as you don't really have to time it.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I really want game 2 of the Vex vs Ally set to be uploaded it was mad good.
-Ixis good work keep it up as usual.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i do have a bowser t-shirt - but not that one.

a friend of mine from canada has a t-shirt that says in big red letters

NOOOOO!!!!

IT'S GIMPYFISH!!!!

there is a hilaroius story behind that which i will probably post at some point hahaha

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Ixis when I finally meet you I'm gonna show you my Bowser plushie that I bring to every tournament.
When i see that Bowser plushie i'm gonna steal it :p, i am severely lacking in Bowser/Mushroom Kingdom related merchandise, all i have right now is my Bowser T-shirt which i wear to every tournament and a mushroom plush i got at an anime expo not long ago :3

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I like how you did with the music and the subspace emissary scenes but the gameplay was just a bunch of fsmashes that only landed because the people you played were bad also no grab releases or Klawhoppin? :?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
From a real perspective, the video is pretty good. It's obvious that most of your opponents were...lacking common sense, but the clips you put in were pretty decent.

They don't display Bowser at his true best, but I could tell you were having fun FSmashing almost everyone in that video. For the next time and for future opponents, grab release more. Klawhopping isn't helpful all of the time, so I wouldn't advise basing your whole video on it, but when you're playing against some of these guys, grab. FSmashing isn't that reliable (although it's ******+++++++++++++++++++++)

calv

Smash Cadet
Yeah, FSmash FTW, I was only taking clips from the replays I had, so obviously it was all from short matches. I do Klaw hop, but I didn't have any replays of it. I don't grab release much as I only ever play online and if its laggy (which it often is) I can never time it well enough :p
Hope you Bowser mainers like it though.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Ixis ya not alone!!, anther bowser in london!!!
I know man i was like @_@ when i found out. Next time i'm bringing Calv for some epic Bowser representing XD

Oh yea Cong that reminds me, I've gotta show the other Bowser's our match on Brinstar so they can see that weird glitch :p

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Hi there, King Koopa players.

I'm here to post some videos of Godzilla, Brazil's best Bowser player. He placed 9th recently on a high level local tourney. Here is a MM against the (probably) 3rd best Falco player in Brazil, Killua.

Godzilla vs Killua 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLN3tFzFvI
Godzilla vs Killua 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsaf8BYbzCc
Godzilla vs Killua 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiJJpVd5aw

The video's quality is a little messy, but stick with it. And comment.

Thanks.

B!squick

Smash Master
Video1 - He was doing fine until he momentum canceled with AD. Tut tut... Gah, more AD. FAir, son, use FAir to get out of hit stun. :/ ... Lol, he uses it when he's at too high a percent to survive... Aw, he didn't buffer the DTilt. I have trouble doing that too, though... Bleh, too much random Dash Attacking... YEAH! Klaw for the win! :D

Video2 - ... Wow. Just wow... I don't think I've seen him land one Dash Attack. O.o ... Lol, random BAir off the platform. I don't know how he landed that. XD ... Nice, got the good knock back on Fortress that puts them prone... Eh, I don't think there was anything he could have done to avoid that USmash... Lol, Bowser's FSmash is mightier. :D ... LOL! Nice job catching him with the random DownB... STOP USING AD TO MOMENTUM CANCEL! D: ... Ugh, dropped his shield too early. V_V

Video3 - Interesting Falco. Looks a bit like Snake, but that could just be me... LOL! He goes beast mode, free falls into an UTilt that almost kills him, and then Snake eats his own C4. Crazy. I want to go to a tourny Brazil now. They seem more entertaining that what we have here. Mostly MK dittos and planking with little to quip my interest... Ha. I'm sorry, sir, but Bowser's Firebreath > Snake's Grenades... LOL! His use of C4 is mind boggling. XD ... WHAT?! Klaw that Snake out of his UpB!! D: Ah well, you still won.

I'm going to be frank... I can't say I was impressed. But hey, if he wins games at big tourny's, he must be doing something right.

Flayl

Smash Hero
He did okay. He only used grab-releases in the first video, though, then he dcided to do back throws =/. Tell him to space with Jab instead of FTilt against Falco and grab-release into klaw.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The best DK French (Kit) Vs the best Bowser french (Acid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqDjsCM9uro&feature=player_embedded

Nice match
Is there more than one? Lol. Anyway he needs work, but the DK needs even more. The Bowser needs to stop airdodging into people, needs to use Utilt to kill more and should have hugged the ledge against DK's recovery.

DK needs to stop trying to defend against the klaw with shield... And how to DI firebreath, to stop recovering from below and to space better.

B!squick

Smash Master
I like the part where he DSmash the ledge like it was Melee. XD Also, I consider any match a failure by the Bowser player if he doesn't land at least 1 FSmash. *nod nod*

udov

Smash Cadet
For my part, I consider any opponent bad if he gets hit by forward smashes :p Well, not any opponent, but good players just don't get hit by this move very often...

Anyway, I don't think my Koopa is that terrible, thanks for the "feedbacks" though, this was one of my first offline experiences against good players. As for the DK player, yeah he's not really used to fighting Bowser.

Top Bottom