• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inactivity: Jigglypuff's Anime Club

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm not so sure that it's never safe.
Assuming you space and time it perfectly, you hit on frame 28 and you're in lag for another 25 frames.

That means your opponent has 25 frames to leave shield-stun (3), drop their shield (7), reach you (x) and then start a move that will hit you (y).
So they have 15 frames to nab Puff in, if my understanding of frame data is correct. Sounds like a pretty close call to me, and this would explain why I have gotten away with Pound-on-shield so many times in the past.

In my opinion, a staled bair is better for controlling space than fair (sweetspot or sourspot, regardless of how staled it is). A slightly stale bair almost always gives you the option of chasing or gaining stage control; fair is a lot more volatile in that regard. There are definitely situations where fair's longer duration and different angle/power will make it more useful, but on the whole, bair has put in a lot more work for me.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's true that you can B-reverse any move in the game. Sometimes I b-reverse Falcon's Raptor Boost and (ugh) Judgement in P:M. The motion feels really weird tho.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I'm not so sure that it's never safe.
Assuming you space and time it perfectly, you hit on frame 28 and you're in lag for another 25 frames.

That means your opponent has 25 frames to leave shield-stun (3), drop their shield (7), reach you (x) and then start a move that will hit you (y).
So they have 15 frames to nab Puff in, if my understanding of frame data is correct. Sounds like a pretty close call to me, and this would explain why I have gotten away with Pound-on-shield so many times in the past.
Nah sorry but getting away with pound on shield mainly means people just don't react to it.

And even if your maths are right 15 frames adv after shield drop is gigantic (Marth Fsmash is frame 12 for example), and then it's occulting the fact that they can bypass shield drop by jumping.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Nah sorry but getting away with pound on shield mainly means people just don't react to it.

And even if your maths are right 15 frames adv after shield drop is gigantic (Marth Fsmash is frame 12 for example), and then it's occulting the fact that they can bypass shield drop by jumping.
Bypassing shield drop by jumping just substitutes shield-drop frames for jump-squat frames, not a big difference. I'll accept that it should be punished, but if Marths are getting away with fsmash on shield (which they do; I've seen Fsmash on shield > attempted punish > spot-dodge > counter-punish numerous times in high level matches), then we can get away with Pound on shield. There's no need to hyperbolize it as massively unsafe on shield just because it's unsafe on shield.

I accept that I was wrong about it being safe though, mah bayud.

MK's uair is on frame 1 so
It's frame 2, actually. And nothing is safe on shield against MK really (regardless of character), GSL makes sure of that.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
That doesn't matter.
If Uair was 3 frames it would still be ridiculous lol
Minute frame differences make an absurd difference at high level play especially given MK's transcendental priority move set. A particular simple/lower level play example I assume has happened to you by now is two hits clashing and both characters going in the same way after the hit and then % hit stun comes into play and every frame possible to avoid an Uair (or other move) kill at the top of the blast zone.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Unless something changes I should be going. The easiest change would be I don't get the Summer job I'm supposed to which just so happens to end the day before SKTAR :smirk:. We so need to Puff ditto at SKTAR. I have 0 experience against a competent Puff which is part of why we need to ditto. And maybe a your Puff vs my Marth and my Puff vs your Yoshi MM if you'd like?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Icecream I've watched your sets and I have 3 serious advices if you wish to get better :
1-keep track of what's happening.
Like, if you whiffed your Fair while approaching then retreat, don't be aggressive when the opponent is not at a disadvantage, anticipate when you're gonna get punished so you don't DI horizontally, etc.
Constantly be up to date with the momentum because that's something that changes very quickly.

2-think when you play.
Really, stop throwing random **** just because the opponent's too bad to punish it. If you can not justify the use of a move then don't do it.
Else you'll keep getting Usmashed by Lucas because you SH pounded for no reason at all.

3-as grim said : grab more (and by extension shield more).

With that said I hope you can step up your game because I saw a few things that I liked (like your very good rest kills against Kirby/Lucas) so I want to see your Jiggs reach lvl 100 asap.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Sure. :3 Puff dittos are hype.
Yay. I'll try and find you there I guess. After all you will probably be the near to the only Yoshi/only one using a wii remote.

So Jiggs just went down a spot in the new tier list, thoughts?
I agree with the drop. I think the last 3 can be placed in pretty much any order (and should be grouped together) but her at 3rd to last probably makes the most sense. In fact the order they go in of last 3 probably make the most sense.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
When you're that low on the tier list, it's really too hard to say.

imo Link, Zelda, Ganon are the only completely useless characters in the game, and I've never played against a main of any of them that makes me think otherwise, so they should be bottom 3. But past that? Pfft, who knows.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me but I've experienced matches against proficient Ganons and Zeldas. I even lost a MM to a Zelda as Puff before once =.=...... It hurt my pride... But he beat my friends Olimar in a MM (I did better XD) and 1+ other people as well so w/e... I've also seen an amazing Link so idk.... Honestly once you get to the bottom few there isn't much of a difference IMO. I'd change my voting on them largely based upon recent experiences so it doesn't bother me at all. There have even been times I've viewed Puff as the worst in the game. Normally only if I'm angry though. I've never played against a good Puff though... Hopefully Raptor permanently changes this mindset at SKTAR.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
My Puff too pro :3 Honestly though I just don't see Puff being above anyone x.x I've played top Zelda's/Puffs/Ganons/Links. Puff just doesn't stack up. Even when I use her, whenever I get away with anything it's because people don't know the mu yet or don't seem to be trying. Then if they know the mu you gotta hope they make a silly mistake to rack up some damage and maybe run away for the rest of the match

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Why the **** does this site not let me format my sig in Comic Sans

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
When you're that low on the tier list, it's really too hard to say.

imo Link, Zelda, Ganon are the only completely useless characters in the game, and I've never played against a main of any of them that makes me think otherwise, so they should be bottom 3. But past that? Pfft, who knows.
I don't know why but when I first skimmed this post I thought I saw the word "butt" and i just sat here for like a minute trying to find it

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
My Puff too pro :3 Honestly though I just don't see Puff being above anyone x.x I've played top Zelda's/Puffs/Ganons/Links. Puff just doesn't stack up. Even when I use her, whenever I get away with anything it's because people don't know the mu yet or don't seem to be trying. Then if they know the mu you gotta hope they make a silly mistake to rack up some damage and maybe run away for the rest of the match
Yeah but you suck

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nah, Puff is better than Triforce Tier (ie Ganon: The Triforce of Power, Zelda: The Triforce of Wisdom, Link: The Triforce of Courage, and Falcon: The Triforce of Justice) just straight up because she has the mobility and safety to never really get pressured by anyone (besides MK) all while having the ability to apply pressure and safely poke, which NONE of the bottom 4 can do at all (Falcon has the mobility, but not much safety, Link has the safety, but no mobility, and Zelda/Ganon have neither... lol). Imo Jiggs is only slightly below Bowser/Mario (of whom I think are interchangeable, and I play both) and could MAYBE, MAAAAAAYBE even pass those two, but i doubt it.

Imo low tier should look like:
Low Tier 1: Luigi/Samus, Mario/Bowser, Jiggs
Low Tier 2: Falcon, Link, Zelda, Ganon

Top Bottom