• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inactivity: Jigglypuff's Anime Club

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
This Saturday I went to a tourney and didn't use puff once in bracket.
I've used her at least once in bracket at every tourney since last November.

I am sorry :(

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
XxJiGgLyPuFf_DuDe_420xX does not approve.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Twitch.tv/totes_magotes_live idk what timestamp their at or anything.
If you get lucky and find it tho I tag as
PUF:)

I fought an Ike(rave) and a Kirby/Lucas(shoes)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
http://www.twitch.tv/totes_magotes_live/b/393531770 1:11:50 (Kirby) | 1:17:24 (Lucas)
http://www.twitch.tv/totes_magotes_live/b/3935792852:06:51 (Ike)
For anyone else who wants to see. I'll edit this post with advice.

----
Alright, so I'mma just give general tips and it's your job to experiment with them and see where it goes. A lot of your shortcomings are just lack of experience, so precisely breaking down your option choices and why they are good or bad won't help much until you become more familiar with Puff.

Rollout and dsmash; don't bother with either of them.

Whenever you jab, consider grabbing or ftilting instead - both are vastly safer moves that give you more rewards for hitting with them, and can be used in basically the same situations. More grabs in general, you'll need a more intimidating ground-game if you play against people who understand the MU (they'll shield a lot more).

Missing with pound (never pound where you think your opponent will be unless you're very sure you've got the read - the ending lag is horrendous, it puts you right above the opponent, and people who are familiar with the Puff MU play very reaction-based), air dodging into people, mis-spacing bair on shield, etc... Basic mistakes that didn't hurt you too much against these players, but will probably come into play a lot more against better players (because they'll make you impatient, frustrated and bait you into making these mistakes).

Shield more. Shield is just an integral part of the game, and I think I can count on my hand the number of times you used it haha

The ftilt > dacus against lucas was a really cool idea, shame it didn't work
Consider jumping before resting, I find it helps me find my opponent with the hitbox better, and it gives me the option of baling out (where as if you fish for Rest on the ground and the opportunity doesn't come up; you're Puff on the ground, which is a ****ty place to be at point-blank range).

Consider where your moves will place you after you hit with them. You caught these guys with a lot of aerial strings that could've been interrupted with DI + fast aerial.

Make sure you teach anyone that you play against regularly the Puff match-up, because it will help you improve soooo much in the long run. IMO relying on Puff being a low tier "so no one has experience against her" isn't going to work when push comes to shove; she is no Yoshi or Lucas, a good player playing how he normally plays can figure out Puff's nuances well before the first match is even over, and then lack of experience won't do ****. She's just too simple, basically.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I tend to experiment with her a lot lol. Dsmash I whip out either on accident or when playing someone who knows anything about puff(aka not expecting dsmash)

Roll-out is the best I will defend it to the death D:

Thanks for the critique~ My spacing used to be a lot better but I main MK now so I guess that comes from lack of using her now :(
I miss her but was too frequently losing to people I was outplaying lol.
She's my secondary always and I use her on scrubs and diddy's

Any MU advice for Lucas? Mid/low tiers are where I'm most concerned with puff ATM.

How was the video quality for you? It looks awfully skippy to me but that could be my computer :(

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Video quality was fine for me.

I'm not going to pretend that I know what to do against Lucas in an ideal world, because I've never played a good one. I find that Puff handles most match-ups pretty similarly to be honest; all I saw was that you jumped into PK Fire a billion times, and got KO'd early by usmash because you mis-spaced. I imagine nair would help with limiting his movement... avoid his aerials and then bair him out of 'em... *shrug*

Also it might be relevant to point out that my Puff hardly improved at all for about a year (when I was maining MK), but jumped dramatically when I started maining her.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I"m cross referencing grim's post:

"Rollout and dsmash; don't bother with either of them."
I agree w/ DSmash...Rollout I actually use sometimes. Mostly, I use it for baits and dumb tricks. For example, I just press b near the edge and I fall off and grab the edge. I've used it to mindgame falco when they recover...they go for the ledge and I troll and beat them..so funny. I've also used it to kill people. You just can't rely on it too much.

"Whenever you jab, consider grabbing or ftilting instead - both are vastly safer moves that give you more rewards for hitting with them, and can be used in basically the same situations. More grabs in general, you'll need a more intimidating ground-game if you play against people who understand the MU (they'll shield a lot more)."
I agree with jab + grab. I don't use jab + ftilt. I've always just ran away or I just bair. when you grab, especially against Ike, you should try to throw off stage. If you can't, use different grab directions to rack up dmg.

"Missing with pound (never pound where you think your opponent will be unless you're very sure you've got the read - the ending lag is horrendous, it puts you right above the opponent, and people who are familiar with the Puff MU play very reaction-based), air dodging into people, mis-spacing bair on shield, etc... Basic mistakes that didn't hurt you too much against these players, but will probably come into play a lot more against better players (because they'll make you impatient, frustrated and bait you into making these mistakes)."
I agree. Also, you need to space the pound where the 2nd hit contacts because when you pound, you're too close. Ike could easily utilt and kill you early.

"Shield more. Shield is just an integral part of the game, and I think I can count on my hand the number of times you used it haha"

Agreed. Nair OoS is good, as well as Dair OoS. Shield + Grab too.

"The ftilt > dacus against lucas was a really cool idea, shame it didn't work"
Lol that was dumb. Don't do it again

"Consider jumping before resting, I find it helps me find my opponent with the hitbox better, and it gives me the option of baling out (where as if you fish for Rest on the ground and the opportunity doesn't come up; you're Puff on the ground, which is a ****ty place to be at point-blank range)."
I actually never jump when I rest unless they're standing still. If they move and if they are on top of you, you rest and they fly.

"
Consider where your moves will place you after you hit with them. You caught these guys with a lot of aerial strings that could've been interrupted with DI + fast aerial."

This can be said w/ anyone you play actually.

"Make sure you teach anyone that you play against regularly the Puff match-up, because it will help you improve soooo much in the long run. IMO relying on Puff being a low tier "so no one has experience against her" isn't going to work when push comes to shove; she is no Yoshi or Lucas, a good player playing how he normally plays can figure out Puff's nuances well before the first match is even over, and then lack of experience won't do ****. She's just too simple, basically."

LOL I disagree w/ this completely.

I am lazy to point out the times, so I'll give you my "what I think you did well, didn't do well"

WHAT YOU DID WELL:
1) For the most part, I loved your positioning on the DACUS. You did them when he was at the end. Unless they PS it either they fall over or you go off the edge.
2) Airdodges were good.
3) F Smashes where time perfectly...make sure you dont rely on them too much. If timed incorrectly you're eating dmg

WHAT YOU DIDN'T DO WELL:
1) Needs more bair..ALOT of bair. The issue with approaching w/ fair is that you're staling out one of her kill moves. Do you know how to RAR w/ her?
2) Dair + Grab more or Dair + Cross-up Grab more. If he's on the ground, that's easy 25% to do on him.
3) DI is bad. Do you know how to DI properly?

SUGGESTION:
1) SP combo: Rising Pound + Uair + Utilt. Try it.
2) Nair OoS or Dair OoS: Great option.
3) Pound on shield: Majority of the time, Pound takes away almost half someone's shield. Eventually you'll wear down their shield. This leads to panic for the opponent and less shielding temporarily. You use this time to see what they do.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
YA BUT I GOT A JAB LOCK SO THAT"S COOL

jk that only lasted two hits and I missed like two other jab lock golden opprotunities.

thanks for the critique~
My DI is actually typically a lot better with puff than with my other char's but it was bad this tourney :( I was sick and TO'ing and on nyquil LMAO
idk how to RAR actually. I meant to learn that forever ago and forgot :(
is the SP(soulpech i guess) combo for like super low %'s? lol

pound does closer to between a quarter and a 3rd on the shield really but I guess that depends on the character.

TEACH ME HOW TO BEAT LUCAS THO :(
ya I gave up on bair cause (except for gimping) cause fair is easier and I don't use that to kill anyway really. I usually kill with utilt(tha mink way) or roll-out/rollout(tha yolo way)

mink your turn learn me pls

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
SP combo works on heavies/fast-fallers at low %
Bair is actually almost the exact same move as fair if you look at the hitbox sizes and frame data lol, I'll never understand why people insist on using it. The only difference is trajectory, strength and the direction you face.
RAR is mad easy yo, run, do the turn around skid thing and jump. That is literally it. The only reason it has a name is because '08 Brawlers have a fetish for advanced techniques; I'm surprised it isn't called wave-jump-cancelled-skid-reverse-aerial-rush-dashing.

Oh and unrelated, but b-reversed Pound is the future of Puff guiz.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Do u SH the rising pound?

Fair is just an easier move to use. It does for sure have slightly more range too~
@Soul MK taught me to Fsmash lol

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You shouldn't exactly "go" for the combo. It's more like, you hit with Pound and notice that they are in uair range; then you do a falling uair and notice that they are in utilt range, etc... So you can short hop, or you can fall and do it at SH-ish height - whatever, man.

Also this might startle you:

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Interesting. Idk why I have an easier time with fair lol
Maybe it's because of MK idk.

I do t use it cause its stronger I just use it cause I've had an easier time landing it.

SoulPech

Smash Master
RAR is more difficult than it looks because you have to do it at a specific time. If you mess up, you'll just stop in place. There's a specific timing (When Puff's foot hits the ground) where you pivot yourself, jump, and now you're in the opposite direction. I"ve practiced this by Shielding. For example, I'll run, then shield. If I don't do that dumb stop animation when I shield, it means that I did it correctly. the more you do it, the easier it gets. Once you get used to that, then you replace the shield w/ a pivot turn. You'll noticed Puff will feel more fluent and faster.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I have a announcement to make.
WHOBO 5 is going down this year, and it's MK banned. Since I main MK, I'm allowed to enter singles and doubles with not MK for free.
First thought was pick up Olimar.

New thought is REPRESENT AND GO ALL PUFF.
I do plan to attend(no promises), and I do plan to make it out of pools at least with puff.
This means 1. I'm going to go in on training my puff. I need to get her to my player skill(and be able to keep her progressing with that) and I need to get her MU ready. If nothing else I want her taking names in mid/low.
2. I need you guys to get me there. Do whatever it will take to get me to a top puff. Like, top 2.
Make me better than Soul. Put me on a mink and or Puffster level.
I need to do work. I need to help put puff on the map.

If me soul mink and serynder all were active in USA people would learn she's really upper low-tier

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Learn to read your opponents way better..... I'm not sure fi you can advance far enough to get top 2 before then. Maybe it was more your spacing than being out read, but at least in the Lucas video he appeared to out read you by far (especially to land the Usmashes). I suggest you learn the Olimar matchup a lot before WHOBO 5 then, I hope you are already solid in it (and Snake as well). A very large amount of both are spacing.

Also, to SP/others if Olimar USmashes OoS to counterattack falling pound is Puff just doomed at that point? I tend to use falling pound only as a punish in that matchup especially if it misses the grab before it can recover so it's really never been a problem for me YET because of how I play the matchup. If there is a way to deal with that w/o getting hit/trade it might potentially change aspects of how I play the matchup though.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I love being relegated to 'others' or not being mentioned at all.

If you Pound Olimar's shield you'll get usmash'd (excluding a perfectly spaced rising pound); experiment with b-reverses, as it makes pound safe on shield in some situations.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you might be able to get away with a falling pound if you space it perfectly. It even stands to reason that if Rising Pound works, Falling Pound should too, hm.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I love being relegated to 'others' or not being mentioned at all.
It's because I'm super lazy and SP is 2 letters. Thanks for the reply though. I rarely ever B reverse as Puff so I'll experiment with it more. Also you need to kill a decent Olimar with a walk off F throw if you still haven't.... It's such a satisfying feeling and causes a complete break down of their mindset.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
B-reverse pound is cool for a few reasons;
1. It gives you an intimidating option other than bair when you jump away from the opponent; works at a different length and hits at a different time, so it's a viable mix-up.
2. You can push through your opponent's shield to cross-up safely if you're right next to them
3. Pound is safe if you space it perfectly (so it only just hits), like I mentioned above - b-reversed pound lets you do that from a different, more applicable range than the usual Pound-range.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
You can't technically b-reverse pound lol. I mean I guess there's no real term for that buys its really just side-b'ing behind you lol

I b-reverse roll out a lot

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Hold right
Press B
Tap left 1-3 frames after pressing B.

Tada !

You go a little farther than regular pound.
It doesn't make the move any safer tho, anyone that knows what oos means will punish you by the time you connect with their shield. Keep it for punishing stupidity and stuffing dodges, not for footsies.
Sorry for breaking your illusions guys, pound on shield isn't safe, even if the opponent's name isn't Olimar. Like, at all. Maybe against characters like Ike that only have fast options oos in front of them, but that's it.

Srsly, don't pound on shield unless you're mixing up like a boss.

Also Fair is easier to use than Bair because its hitbox lasts longer. Give weak Fair some love, the follow ups are very good at mid/high percents.

Top Bottom