• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impact Clash II Brawl & Melee tourney October 11, 2008 @ GA World Congress Atlanta GA

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
winner stays the same character? 4 stock matches? lol, wtf game have you been playing the past 4 months?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
winner stays the same character? 4 stock matches? lol, wtf game have you been playing the past 4 months?
hmm well Ive been to two pretty decent size tournaments with the Winner stays Rule and i think its a pretty good idea. Either way i don't think it makes much of a Difference cause you cant Counter pick Both Char and Stage.

As for 4 Stocks ive been doing some testing with people i play with and I think its a better way to play. If you get gimped one life that could be the match because its hard to come back for a lot of times. 4 Stocks gives you a chance to devise a Strategy around your opponents play style. and Also it allows you to come back from being at a deficit. I really think its a better way to play. Either way its no biggie no need to flame. You should seriously try it out though. I mean that is if you use strategy at all in your play style.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
hmm well Ive been to two pretty decent size tournaments with the Winner stays Rule and i think its a pretty good idea. Either way i don't think it makes much of a Difference cause you cant Counter pick Both Char and Stage.

As for 4 Stocks ive been doing some testing with people i play with and I think its a better way to play. If you get gimped one life that could be the match because its hard to come back for a lot of times. 4 Stocks gives you a chance to devise a Strategy around your opponents play style. and Also it allows you to come back from being at a deficit. I really think its a better way to play. Either way its no biggie no need to flame. You should seriously try it out though. I mean that is if you use strategy at all in your play style.
im not trying to flame you...its just a natural reaction when i see these...odd things.

well, i know for a fact that ive been to more "decent sized" tourneys than you, including the national tourney FAST, and not 1 tourney had the "winner stays same char" rule. In fact, I havnt even read in any tourney, big or small, that says that.

if you get gimped, o well? 3 stock is the tourney standard nationwide. why would we make it 4 just cause you got gimped. 3 stocks is plenty of time to devise a strategy around your opponents play style. 4 stock is just drawing things out

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Source?

thus being why brawl matches should be 9 mins per match. Most ive the brawl matches ive been in and have seen last about 3-5 mins on 3 stock and on 4 stocks ive never went over the 7 min mark. even when playing the most campy people. and Ive also seen Shiek ditto camp match last all 8 mins in Melee. so It can go both ways.

Please make it 4 stocks 9 Mins. trust me its a much better way.
the tournament wont finish on time if you do 4 stocks. This tournament lasts only one day with about 15 different tournaments you can't make the matches longer than necessary. Its absurd.

And also, I dunno what the heck brawl matches you've seen, but most brawl matches last longer than melee with 3 stock only. I've been to quite a few tournaments as well... average melee match is about 3-4 minutes... alot of space animal or space animal vs marth matches go even less than that... you see shiz vs m2k?

Impact Clash

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I would have to agree with Xif on this one. We're have many other tournaments along with Brawl on the day of the tournament and thus, it would be cutting it close to have four stocks. However, the tournament is starting first thing at 12 p.m. (both Melee and Brawl) because I cannot afford to have them run over into extra innings. Hopefully 12 hours will be enough time to finish this tournament. Hopefully though near the end of the tournament we can dedicate more units to the games. However, it's a toss up if we will have enough time for doubles. We'll have to see how it works out.

Pritch

Smash Lord
On the contrary, a regular brawl match takes normally 5/6 minutes to finish, when the most a melee match will take is 4 or 5.
You've never played peach vs young link, have you?

Other than that I'm not gonna argue, but man. That matchup makes grown men cry.:(

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
i completely understand that everyone just goes with the Flow on the "Standardized" Brawl rules. but I just feel like it should be tested out. I kinda see where Xif is coming from with his Rule set for melee. lol. But brawl is still fairly new and still needs some stuff worked out. Like Standardized stages. Melee not so much.
I do see where 4 stocks would be taking too long with Other games being played but if this were just Brawl and Melee i wouldnt have seen the problem.

However, it's a toss up if we will have enough time for doubles. We'll have to see how it works out.
dang that would suck balls if Doubles didnt happen. thats the only reason i Play melee anymore.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
even if it were just brawl, it would take years to finish.
FAST1 pools for brawl... just ask someone, lol, it took 10 years to finish.

Impact Clash

Smash Journeyman
dang that would suck balls if Doubles didnt happen. thats the only reason i Play melee anymore.
At the last tournament we had enough time for the doubles and singles so we should be just fine. Remember, if we start it at 12 p.m. sharp (both Melee and Brawl) then we should finish the tournament on time. And as the tournaments continue on and others finish we can use more units for finishing up Brawl matches so I think if we at least had about four Wii with Brawl we could absolutely finish it with no problem. Remember, anyone who brings a Wii gets free entry so I think most people will take advantage of that. There's a 98% chance we'll have enough time for doubles. And if doubles were not to happen for some crazy reason I'd refund everyone's entry fee who came for doubles but they didn't happen because of time constraints. Trust me, we'll have enough time. :) Just make sure you guys help out and bring hardware so we can ensure this!

Sinensis

Smash Cadet
Sinensis/Blake; sign me up for melee singles/doubles and brawl singles/doubles (if brawl doubles are going to happen...). I'm bringing at least one wii with me. KOKingpin is never wrong. When that man speaks the truth is heard!

FuFu300

Smash Cadet
Just curious, if I come to this, I have to pay a $20 or $25 registration fee, as well as a $10 fee for every match I play in the tournament? So if there are five rounds in this tournament, I would have to pay $75 total? Is it just $10 to be in the tournament?

nevershootme

Smash Master
Just curious, if I come to this, I have to pay a $20 or $25 registration fee, as well as a $10 fee for every match I play in the tournament? So if there are five rounds in this tournament, I would have to pay $75 total? Is it just $10 to be in the tournament?
no... you pay the registration fee, and you pay the tournament fee (goes to the pot). sounds like you've never went to tournaments before

Milln

Smash Champion
No, no, no.

There are many games aside from Brawl and Melee being played here and that's what he's referring to with "each game."

It's just the registration fee for the game(s) you're entering and a (one time) venue fee if there is one for tournaments.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
even if it were just brawl, it would take years to finish.
FAST1 pools for brawl... just ask someone, lol, it took 10 years to finish.
That's true, but Smash is (to my knowledge) the ONLY game that has pools as a standard for big tournies. Which is why other games wrap up in an hour and smash (both brawl and melee) take forever.

I mean, we get more worth out of our money knowing that "Hey, im guarenteed atleast 7/8 sets, as opposed to 2", but then other communities dont have to wait 7½ for 1 round of pools (Which is EXACTLY what happened as fast1 for brawl.)

And for anybody who cares, frames said he was going to have 2/3 rounds of pools to cut brawl down to a 32 man bracket. Yeah.. that didnt happen. XD

FuFu300

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everyone that answered my question.

no... you pay the registration fee, and you pay the tournament fee (goes to the pot). sounds like you've never went to tournaments before
You're right, I've never been to a tournament before. And with this one being four stock, I doubt I'll come...four stock takes forever to finish.

Oh well, there's always next time, I suppose...

PB&J

Smash Hero
i hope alot of people come here for melee because we already the brawl community will be there so spread the word that melee didn't die and will never die..i want east coast ..west coast , south , mid south, and mid west to be here..it will be fun.. .........................................AND IF ANY BODY NEEDS HOUSING I CAN HOUSE ALOT OF PEOPLE SO ..COME

NeonTigerX3

Smash Rookie
<_< Hay guyz I play Tenten, actually...

XD I can't wait to see you two there again.

Oh and it is indeed egg time. That really is catching on, despite my initial skepticism...with me, at least. Lol

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Ya know, everytime I see "egg time" it reminds me of Gex the Gecko. That game series rocks. *goes to illegally and knowingly download a few of those games*

Milln

Smash Champion
Arcana Heart community, you mean.

All I need is Flash Kick Super. Answer to everything.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
how could you not be a spaceballs fan?

I mean, the man turned duke nukem gay.

that's hot.

NeonTigerX3

Smash Rookie
It's quiet...too quiet.

Guess I'll go ahead and officially sign up for this thing.

Amanda K. (Sushi)
Brawl Singles/Doubles
Columbus, GA

Possibly might enter Soul Calibur 4 if I have it by then, like it better than 3, and feel reasonably confident in my ability. >_>

Top Bottom