• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Up angled ftilt is at best a mediocre anti-air. But you don't have anything else to with in terms of grounded anti airs, I just prefer retreating fairs or nairs in general, especially if I have a gyro on the ground to protect myself from well spaced punishment.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
Sick I'll be on dat netplay grind starting like October 10th, might have to play on an xbox controller for a while though. So I've been trying to incorporate rob's DACUS into my play recently, so far I've found it can work after dsmash, running attack, and potentially uthrow in certain situations. Other than hitting people on platforms above, anyone have other good uses for it?
forward glide toss down to DACUS is absolute filth if you can set it up OoS; make sure not to be too obvious about doing so, though

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I like to use R.O.B's DP to anti air (Just imagine how cool that would look if it was real he boosts up and uppercuts you in the jaw PMBR pls)

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Hey Bubbaking can you come to smash league this Sunday? I heard you were possibly gonna go to the one on Tuesday and if there's new people there I'll feel more motivated to go. I tried to go to Xfire but it didn't happen and hasn't happened in forever, yet is still advertised like it's a thing.

Last edited:

Needsmorespin

Smash Cadet
After almost a year of jumping around characters I've finally settled on ROB as my secondary (Peach being my Main of coarse)

Any advice for a Green as hell ROB?

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Learn to not shield or roll unless you can help it.
Learn all your fastest ways to get a gyro, and learn all your gyro/side-b tech.
Learn to wall with fairs behind a gyro so you can better deal with aggressive characters that approach via SH.
Down throw is your best combo starter and your neutral game should revolve around getting a grab.
DSmash seems better than it is because nobody realizes that fox is the only character that can't escape before the launcher 9/10 times by holding up. And if they get hit by the launcher it can start combos pretty well too. So your neutral game will probably rely on landing this move as well, such that CC becomes a more valid defensive option than shielding.
DO hold down. CC upsmash and dtilt are good DI mix-ups if they finally learn how to get out of dsmash. Hell CC into grab is best, if you have enough time to punish with that.
Recover low, your edge sweetspot is one of the stupidest in the game.
Or recover high, boost nair almost guarantees you will be able to land because of how tough and dangerous it is to challenge, and since you are heavy and have recovery of the gods you only need to land and your next attempt at getting back to the stage improves even if you get sent far back off.
So basically mix up a lot between high and low recoveries, because with fair jumping you almost always have both options.
F/B throw offstage-> laser is deadly against fast fallers or those with mediocre melee level recoveries. Get accurate with that laser. ROB's gimp game will be that much more godly next release.
If boost fair as an approach stops working because they jump (especially if they jump OoS to avoid boost fair pressure), start boost up-airing and you will make them nervous when all their OoS jump attempts get them hit.
Remember boosting increases aerial damage which significantly increases knockback. Dthrow->up-b->upair/nair can kill average fallers/semi fast fallers between 100-130 depending on stage location. This kind of guaranteed kill is much better than trying to set up and edgeguard with fthrow/bthrow from middle stage.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
To avoid having to roll in order to get out of pressure, you should learn how to WD OoS in addition to glidetossing and fairing OoS.

About edgeguarding, once you force a spacee (and some other chars) to upB, you can just go out there and fair him to death.

Also, learn your stupid tech-chase options so you can illegitimately rack up tons of damage on FFers.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
wassup, I was recently on stream for the first time, played against ipunchkids. Not sure if this is the right place for this but I would be down for some feedback. From what I can tell I should grab more, stay closer to my top when i put it out, get better at using the right aerial for where my opponent is at. Smashboards is not letting me post the link cuz I haven't posted 10 messages yet (I am noob) but the youtube channel is silicon smash, if you search 'Sneez' in the channel the vid should come up

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
The right place would be the thread "killbot.avi" pinned at the top of the ROB boards; that's where videos are posted and people get critiqued. I'd be happy to look at the video and critique it for you, though. Just PM me or post it in the killbot thread. :DDD

jtm94

Smash Lord
Sup guys, been looking for a legitimate secondary since I've deemed my GnW unusable in tournament. I pretty much main Sheik/Zelda and I get good MU coverage, but I want someone else to put time into and actually be rewarded.

I've lurked a bit and was inspired by Oracle and Alpha Dash to use the character more, oh and Umbreon telling me Oracle was beating him. I just love going deep with fairs/anything. It feels like ROB actually rewards me for taking risks to edgeguard right now because a lot of the cast gets edgeguarded while edgeguarding because some recovery is dumb right now. I also love item play, but I have seen some people say that the Gyro is overrated because it can be caught/played around. That ish flies through the air FAST though, I can't express how much I love chucking it at my opponent, and AGT into them again and just hit them repeatedly until I miss or they catch, then they throw it and I reflect it back with SideB xD

I've seen the tech about fair after SideB to maintain more momentum, is it possible with other aerials? I saw Alpha Dash use UpB into uair when recovering and it seemed dirty.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Sup guys, been looking for a legitimate secondary since I've deemed my GnW unusable in tournament. I pretty much main Sheik/Zelda and I get good MU coverage, but I want someone else to put time into and actually be rewarded.

I've lurked a bit and was inspired by Oracle and Alpha Dash to use the character more, oh and Umbreon telling me Oracle was beating him. I just love going deep with fairs/anything. It feels like ROB actually rewards me for taking risks to edgeguard right now because a lot of the cast gets edgeguarded while edgeguarding because some recovery is dumb right now. I also love item play, but I have seen some people say that the Gyro is overrated because it can be caught/played around. That ish flies through the air FAST though, I can't express how much I love chucking it at my opponent, and AGT into them again and just hit them repeatedly until I miss or they catch, then they throw it and I reflect it back with SideB xD

I've seen the tech about fair after SideB to maintain more momentum, is it possible with other aerials? I saw Alpha Dash use UpB into uair when recovering and it seemed dirty.
Yes it works with other aerials. It's probably best with dair for the first use of dair, so long as you are out of their reach, fair any other time is best.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I'm on Smashladder for netplay if you guys wanna have some rounds. And now I can record my netplay matches without hurting my performance, HD footage without frame drops but a bit of sound delay. I've ran into some interesting folk but so far I'm undefeated in ranked and it changed some of my perceptions about some matches. Ill upload and share a match if it's worth watching.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
while we're on the subject, has anyone else ever noticed that on occasion, when you dair early on in ROB's boost, he travels much farther than normal? just wondering if anyone else knows what the cause of this is, since it seems like it might only happen on one frame

Needsmorespin

Smash Cadet
To avoid having to roll in order to get out of pressure, you should learn how to WD OoS in addition to glidetossing and fairing OoS.

About edgeguarding, once you force a spacee (and some other chars) to upB, you can just go out there and fair him to death.

Also, learn your stupid tech-chase options so you can illegitimately rack up tons of damage on FFers.
Whats the best way to OoS without Tap jump on? (hate Tap Jump, screws up my Peach game)

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
The best way to do what OOS?

Most of your options OOS that require jumping will be handled well enough by whatever jump button you normally use. You can easily wavedash OOS by just doing the normal wavedash input while releasing the shield button. (For example, I wavedash with L and shield with R, so I jump, then release R and airdodge diagonally down with L at the same time.) Using aerials OOS is also fine with just Y or X.

You start to hit some trouble with Usmash and UpB OOS. I don't use tap jump either, so to Usmash OOS I usually end up using Y to jump and then throwing my left thumb from the analog stick to the C-stick to do a JC Usmash. It's awkward but it's how I learned to do it. A better way might be to buffer jump by pushing up on the C-stick and then clawing with your right hand to input the traditional Up+A Usmash button combination. This is probably easier, and this is the method I would recommend if you wanted to make Usmash OOS a part of your options. (Which you should; the hitboxes on the arms come out on frame 5 iirc so it's a decent move OOS if you're lacking other options.) (Edit: Or, obviously, claw to Y with your forefinger instead of using your thumb to buffer a C-stick jump, and use your thumb instead to hit A. Either way works.)

As for UpB OOS, you can claw again. Claw Y with your forefinger and have your thumb on B. The input is basically the same as for an OOS Usmash; you're just inputting Up+B instead of Up+A. If you can't or refuse to claw, I've had limited success by sliding my thumb from the C-stick to the B button, inputting a buffered jump by hitting up on the C-stick and then immediately after inputting UpB. This method seems pretty difficult to actually input properly, though.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
SPEAKING of Peach, I played one in game 3 of a ranked game and she got a bomb omb and stich face and she maybe used down B like 10 times. I'll link it when I upload it but the game was crazzzzzzzzzzy. RNGesus needs 2 calm down. https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=UsRFW18paaQ&video_referrer=watch I 3 stocked his Peach in a different set but this one was uhh... something.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
Does rob's lazer charge faster after you do a super charged lazer than a normal one? I feel like when I use a super lazer i get a normal one back quicker.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
No but I can see it seeming like that because it comes out so slow by the time it's gone you almost have a new one. Pretty sure its just 2 secs uncharged 8 full but I'm not the best at remembering this stuff. I can't wait 2 be wrong somehow lol.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
3 secs uncharged 10 secs full i believe.
Also full charge comes out and ends just as quickly as uncharged laser, it just travels slower for longer.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I really thought it was 8 but I'd count it with the clock and it wouldn't be charged in matches so you are probably right. And I knew the second thing just my wording is bad.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
Ya i guess since the charged lazer lasts so long it seems like it charges faster. Is there ever a time where running grab is actually better than jc grab other than being easier? Is the range better? I can't tell.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Dash grab and JC grab have the same reach given that you start the dash grab a frame earlier such that they both grab on the same frame. Since JC grab also ends quicker it's always better. I've tested dozens of different scenarios chain grabbing spacies with both types of grabs at low percents and found you can always land a JC grab when you can also land a dash grab. There's basically no reason to ever use a dash grab. I really wish ROB had a boost grab. It would give a use to his dash grab animation, and it would make sense given he has a DACUS. You can even cancel the dash attack into the up smash and still DACUS on the same frame which he can cancel his dash attack into a grab. Difference is, he doesn't keep the momentum for the DACG and I don't understand why.
@JCaesar, since ROB is inevitably going to get nerfed as a result of the fat trimming (most likely by having his burst range option **** on [side-b boosts]) can he at least get a working boost grab in return?
Also dsmash should be harder to hit but more rewarding on successful hit, right now it's super easy to hit but almost any character can escape and reset to neutral just by holding up.

Last edited:

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
Do you really think ROB boost is going to be nerfed? It gives him good burst movement, true, but it's not like it's totally safe. I kind of figured they were going more for stuff that just let you completely dictate your spacing without consequences, like M2 teleport.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count on it really, it makes him move but it doesn't have a constant hitbox like the other stuff that's being targeted by nerfs. (Yoshi egg, Sonic Down-B, Squirtle Side-B.) And if they were to do that R.O.B would need a massive rework which I don't think there's enough people willing to do. I have a hunch R.O.B isn't due for anything crazy.

In a way I feel R.O.B is a bad character with a lot of good matchups if that makes sense. If his good stuff works well against the other character he can hold his own but if there is a tool that can counter R.O.Bs good stuff it's terrible. Has nothing really to do with what you said but just I thought I had.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
thx for the info df. and dandizzle are u gonna upload our matches to youtube or something?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Uh maybe I have so much stuff I SHOULD upload but I'm ResidentSleeper. Doesn't help that I'm not proud of like any of our games lol.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
In a way I feel R.O.B is a bad character with a lot of good matchups if that makes sense. If his good stuff works well against the other character he can hold his own but if there is a tool that can counter R.O.Bs good stuff it's terrible. Has nothing really to do with what you said but just I thought I had.
Replace good with evenish and I'll agree with you completely.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't need to take shots at R.O.B anymore than he already has in these threads lmao. I probably talk about how bad this character can be more than most of you, just don't do it on smashboards because it really isn't an interesting discussion topic and it pulls away potential R.O.B players from the character. It is god damn hilarious how people can still say R.O.B is very good or say he's a braindead character or something, smh.

Last edited:

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
I don't think we should be trying to trick people into playing ROB by being dishonest, if that's the goal. Honestly, I play ROB because I like zoning and item play, and also because boosting is really fun. Also, robots are really cool. Where he lies on the tier list is secondary to that.

That said, buffs would be nice. Buffs are always nice. Is JCaesar still working on ROB, or is the character kind of abandoned right now as far as the PMBR goes?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think it's lying to not complain constantly about R.O.B and honestly I doubt anyone looking to pick up the character would reach the point where R.O.B being bad becomes then main reason why they would lose rather than their own skill. Besides maybe it could even change next patch if your an optimist :)
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2kg0o1/how_widespread_will_animation_reworks_be/ Anyone else care about this?

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
ive been thinking about a way to nerf rob's recovery that wouldn't totally **** rob over. upb from ground stays the same but from the air it gets significantly shorter. that way rob still has dthrow followups but cant make it back from the depths, maybe would have to actually use agt to make it back. i think shortening rob's side b would probably **** him over but then again the aerial dash dance would be quicker so im not really sure. o ya and not sure if this is well known but as of now you can agt up -> double jump -> up b -> agt again. not super useful now since rob usually makes it back anyway.

Top Bottom