• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I haven't tried airdodge things with that many other characters. I'm mostly a ROB player. And for ROB, this isn't that specific of a scenario; if you've seen my gameplay you'd know this is important to ROB's mobility. The other changes and nerfs I can handle, but this one I was not expecting, not prepared for, not notified of, and seems to have no purpose other than to frustrate the **** out of me for the 4thupdate in a row regarding changes to ROB's wavelanding ability out of aerial side-b.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I haven't tried airdodge things with that many other characters. I'm mostly a ROB player. And for ROB, this isn't that specific of a scenario; if you've seen my gameplay you'd know this is important to ROB's mobility. The other changes and nerfs I can handle, but this one I was not expecting, not prepared for, not notified of, and seems to have no purpose other than to frustrate the **** out of me for the 4thupdate in a row regarding changes to ROB's wavelanding ability out of aerial side-b.
But your guess is it's not the global mechanic change but from the side-b itself? Or the global mechanic change with Rob's body not meshing with it well.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
tbh im with 1up, i think rob is doin fine. the whole "inconsistent" air dodge out of boost stuff is kinda silly, there isn't some sort of random number generator deciding if you'll **** it up or not. I think it'll be fine once people get used to it. And probably ROB's biggest buff from the patch is indirect in that everyone else's recoveries got worse while ROB's remained pretty much the same in terms of distance. I like a lot of the new changes in general, PM is becoming more tech.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
oh and is there a certain mode of debug mode where you can see the reflector hitbox on the sideb?

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
I wish we had gained the ability to do grounded turn-around up-bs that retain momentum in the original direction from, say, a dash.
i have actually done this before, but it is very difficult to pull off without going into ROBs turnaround animation instead. if there is still a window for it i wouldn't be surprised if it was one frame. i remember trying to practice it some time ago and concluding that it wasn't worth it :(

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
wow i feel useful for once. i practice this all the time you just gotta hit the stick diagonally in the right spot and it'll work, ive been doin this since brawl. im still working on getting it into my gameplay cuz i don't get it everytime but def an awesome followup

Baky

Smash Journeyman
tbh im with 1up, i think rob is doin fine. the whole "inconsistent" air dodge out of boost stuff is kinda silly, there isn't some sort of random number generator deciding if you'll **** it up or not.
Drinkingfood is a pretty competent person and arguably the best ROB player there is. I'm sure he understands the nature of programs. For all we know it could be something like a buffer overflow, idk obviously.

Point is, if Drinkingfood, (basically the inventor of the boost-waveland from the ledge) says its busted. I'll probably believe him. If you want to tell him it isn't, then tell you him you can do it 100% of the time with correct inputs.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
it's not inconsistent, he even pointed out that it happens from frames 20-24. i agree it's lame to have to wait a bit longer though, seems like an unnecessary/unintended change.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
just discovered some really awesome stuff that I haven't heard about yet. those frames of sideb that are being wonky are actually useable after rob's last boost when touching the ground. You just gotta waveland a bit downwards but you still get an awesome waveland and can make it back over the ledge no problem.

DayQuil

Smash Rookie
just discovered some really awesome stuff that I haven't heard about yet. those frames of sideb that are being wonky are actually useable after rob's last boost when touching the ground. You just gotta waveland a bit downwards but you still get an awesome waveland and can make it back over the ledge no problem.
Yeah, I noticed this when I took ROB to the lab today and I was getting some decent wavelands. Not as great as before, but enough.

3.5 aint bad.

Last edited:

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys, I was just playing against a CPU fawx and accidentally threw my gyroid so it was right on the edge of the stage. When Fawx tried to use his up-b, to get back, he just hit the gyro and got knocked away from the stage again. He managed to get back after two more up-b attempts. Could placing the gyro at the ledge be a potential edgeguarding thing? I'm not sure if the trick works on someone who sweetspots the edge, but even if it didn't, you could still force someone to sweetspot the edge by having a gyro there, which would make it much easier to predict where they're going to go, which would make it much easier to aerial them?

DayQuil

Smash Rookie
Yo guys, I was just playing against a CPU fawx and accidentally threw my gyroid so it was right on the edge of the stage. When Fawx tried to use his up-b, to get back, he just hit the gyro and got knocked away from the stage again. He managed to get back after two more up-b attempts. Could placing the gyro at the ledge be a potential edgeguarding thing? I'm not sure if the trick works on someone who sweetspots the edge, but even if it didn't, you could still force someone to sweetspot the edge by having a gyro there, which would make it much easier to predict where they're going to go, which would make it much easier to aerial them?
Yeah it's nothing new. Really useful against Falcons too

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Gyro is kind of strange. I know grounded gyro has a hitbox that refreshes periodically. Putting a gyro on the ledge is a solid option, but it can be pretty inconsistent because of the periodic hitbox.
Gyro also has a hurtbox, which I don't understand nearly as well. Do you know the gyro hurtbox properties @ (1UP) (1UP) ?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Thing about the side-b wavelands is they work perfectly fine on platforms, and I think they work fine if you boost onto the main portion of the stage from a slight distance. But yeah I really hate that change, fortunately it's the only one I feel strongly about but it seems unintended.
Anyway yeah a couple days ago I found out about the infinite boosts thing along the ground. Doesn't seem that useful since your only options during it are a waveland after 20 frames, double jump (dunno timing probs like after 20-30 frames), another boost around 30 frames, a soft landing frame 32 or so, or an l-cancel'd aerial with no hitbox. Not that useful though it might get him across the stage faster than his run.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
I think it's good for running away on battlefield and dreamland. You can just upb from the ground and then aerial dash dance above the top platform for as long as you want.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So I thought you guys might be interested to know, Oracle and I are teaming at Bowser's revenge 13 tomorrow doing a double ROB team. Should be streamed on TourneyLocator, starting around 12 central time (I believe that's 1pm eastern 10 am pacific 11 am mountain or w/e you guys call yourself). Team name gonna be rock'em sock'em robots, lol.
And if course I'll be entering singles, it's been like almost 2 months since I've been to a tourney :'(

Last edited:

berto

Smash Rookie
Damn if I didn't have family coming over I totally would've tried making it. It probably wouldve been the tournament with the most ROB mains in attendance lol

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
dat oracle vs drinkingfood rob ditto set was intense yo. gs to both players

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
Gyro is kind of strange. I know grounded gyro has a hitbox that refreshes periodically. Putting a gyro on the ledge is a solid option, but it can be pretty inconsistent because of the periodic hitbox.
Gyro also has a hurtbox, which I don't understand nearly as well. Do you know the gyro hurtbox properties @ (1UP) (1UP) ?
unfortunately i have no idea, though due to gyro's wonky aerial hitbox i believe the bottom part is disjointed when airborne. at the moment i do not have the equipment to come up with any data, but my thinking is that the hurtbox overlaps the hitbox on all other occasions, since aerials like ivy's nair straight up beat gyro throws

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Dang, taking away ROB's ability to air-dodge after his third boost is like taking away Samus' ability to air-dodge out of her bomb jump. Yeah, they can still recover distance-wise, but once they get back to the stage against Marth, Falco, Sheik, etc., they are screwed. If ROB recovered high against swords or Falco, he really needed that air dodge to avoid sword juggles and the ever-threatening FH blitz spike/bair from Falco/Sheik. OK, he can just recover low, right? Oh yeah, vertical ledge grab is kinda bad now, not to mention that's downright dangerous against lasers/needles, especially when the final boost has a 'HIT ME' note on it. :urg:

Oh well, moving on from that, I have a quick question: If ROB's boost uair was "decreased on all hits from +2 to +1," does that mean that he actually loses out on 3 damage, since the move has 3 sequential hitboxes, or does it only lose out on 1 damage overall?

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Anyone want to do some ROB dittos to help me see what's wrong with my ROB?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Oh well, moving on from that, I have a quick question: If ROB's boost uair was "decreased on all hits from +2 to +1," does that mean that he actually loses out on 3 damage, since the move has 3 sequential hitboxes, or does it only lose out on 1 damage overall?
Most the time you will only get 1 or 2 hits, but if you get all three yeah you lose 3 damage

Anyone want to do some ROB dittos to help me see what's wrong with my ROB?
ROB dittos are ultra jank and won't help you learn all that much about how ROB operates vs other characters.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Doing overall 3 less damage isn't why it seems weaker. It's weaker because of how knockback is calculated. At one point in the knockback formula, the damage of the hit is multiple by the final damage of the opponent. So say you hit 2 hits of a boost upair in 3.02 and it puts them at 140 (from 122), the resulting multiplication gets you 9x140=1260 (assuming you get the stronger hitbox of upair). That then gets divided by 20, 1260/20=63, added to the total damage divided by ten, 63+140/10=77, and multiplied by weight and KBG/100. But just looking at the numbers before KBG and weight in 3.02 va 3.5, it'd be 77 for 3.02 and 69 for 3.5 (8x138 divided by 20, then add 138/10). That 8 point difference is then magnified by the weight multiplication (always greater than 1) and the KBG multiplication (ROB's upair has huge KBG multipliers, around 170 depending on which hit). So the move doing 3 less damage isn't that big of a deal, it's actually a much bigger deal that each individual hit does 1 less in the first place.

Last edited:

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Where can ya boy post on these forums to get some feedback? I posted stuff in the MU thread and the video thread but no one's responded lol

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
kinda bugs me when people whine about rob's airdodge being removed, he really didn't deserve it in the first place and he still gets it back for boost->waveland. if you have trouble sweetspotting thats fine because you can just fair, catches people off guard like every time. and his ledge stall still works, tho not sure if you are invincible for every frame of it. saw your set vs boss jjvirus, you were doin a lot of good ****. I'd say work on your item game, what I like to do a lot is dash dance with top in hand into shield -> glide toss. Boost fair into gt is really safe too. Also not a big fan of fully charging the top after killing your opponent, I think the top is way more valuable in hand since gt is awesome for mobility in general.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
Two announcements:
1. Alfacollusion 5 is happening this weekend here in Columbus, we will most likely have at least 3 or 4 ROBs in attendance and it will be streamed
2. A Kirby teched the first hit of my u-smash the other day and I'm still salty about it
That is all

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm in the search for a new main now and ROB definitely caught my attention. If y'all could answer briefly...what are his matchups like?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Amongst the better characters, ROB's worst matchups are probably Captain Falcon and Sheik. I've also heard DDD destroys ROB, but almost no one plays DDD well. One of ROB's selling points is that he has winnable spacies matchups, though IDK if any of them are actually in ROB's favour.

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
ROB also has issues with ZSS I think. She does well in neutral and has a ridiculous punish game on ROB, moreso than a lot of other characters. ROB's at a good weight for her to combo.

Top Bottom