• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Not a ROB main, but I've been playing ROB in PM for a long time, and it just feels like every time I play a new build he's worse.

I heard some of his fastest moves come out on frame 7 (fair). If that's true, that's utterly ridiculous. Why does a character with linear mobility and recovery have a frame 7 move as their fastest option?

After playing a bit of Smash 4 ROB, I can tell that PM ROB is pretty much one of the worst characters I've played as. I get more success with playing 3.5 Metaknight, despite starting playing Metaknight much later than ROB. I think something needs to change about his design principle. Right now he's a "meh" zoner with glide toss game and airdashes. That's... basically it. His moves don't come out that quickly but don't punish hard, dsmash can just be teched, and up B/side B got nerfed in 3.5, so he doesn't qualify as having a good recovery, IMO. It's way too linear and doesn't allow for fast enough attacks out of it to warrant how bad it is. One of its worst qualities is simply how slow and predictable it is.

This character could use a few things. How many of them added on would make for a balanced character, I don't know, but here's some ideas:

- increased Fsmash range, that move is ****ing awful
- increased damage on dsmash or increased speed on Dsmash startup or just ****ing fix dsmash so it can't be teched
- increased speed/range of his airdashes. Right now I feel like his airdashes are too short to even be good. It's like trying to crappily dash dance or wavedash in the air. More range would allow him to cross up shields better, which is pretty much all anyone needs to do against a ROB airdash.
- decreased startup and/or cooldown on laser (perhaps in exchange make it take a little longer to charge?)
- decreased startup on nair and/or fair, uair
- Allow ROB to cancel his airdashes with an attack faster -- pair long waiting time to even be allowed to cancel the airdash with the fact that all his aerials have hella long startup, you've got a character that represents an idea but it isn't even allowed to follow it.

I don't really care what direction he goes in. If he's a better zoner with faster projectiles and airdashes? Fine. If he just kills better but still has his interesting mobility (which would still need buffs)? Great. Faster in general? Awesome. Just give this character some freaking backbone.... or, back metal, I guess.

I think the deadness of this board is testament to how bad ROB actually is. I've only played a few ROBs in PM, but I don't think it's entirely due to his popularity. In Smash 4, he's heavily used both in tourneys I've been to and FG. Maybe not as heavily as Fox, Falcon, Shulk, etc, but I'm pretty sure I saw more Smash 4 ROBs than I've seen Melee/PM/Smash 4 Peaches at local tourneys. I truly believe people just lost faith in him, because the rest of the cast usually can do something he can like 50 times better.

Zoning: Samus
Aerial mobility: Lucas
Glide Toss shenanigans: Diddy
Tech reads: Ganon, Lucas, the whole cast pretty much
killing: ROB doesn't kill any better than most of the characters I don't think. Yet he's pretty huge/comboable, slow, etc
combos: pretty much everyone. I can't even think of legit ROB combos. Dthrow to Uair? ... at like, certain %s? utilt to utilt on a low % ganon or spacie? Chaingrabs on fastfallers on FD? I get the impression ROB could use a bit more hitstun, too.
Offstage game: Kirby/Dedede/Metaknight/Spacies/Lucas -- ROB's too slow for his offstage aerials to be successful often enough, imo.

Point is, I don't think ROB's good at anything. This needs to be fixed asap, because his design idea is awesome, I think.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You are wrong, ROB is definitely a high tier in this build. His fastest moves are jab frame 3, utilt frame 4, dsmash/dtilt/usmash startup all frame 5. None of that is even important though because what's important in smash, and indeed all fighters, is burst mobility, the distance you can hit the opponent from which they can't react to. For ROB that's decently far with boost fair, and absurdly far with a gyro in hand. Really this board is dead because ROB is boring as a character with no personality (especially compared to smash4 ROB) and because he's secretly a hard character to learn. Also smash4 ROB sucks lmao

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
After playing hours of friendlies with my friend today, I feel confident in my punish game BUT I lack hard in my neutral game. Most of the time I like to boost DD in the air or just shoot the laser to get a hit. I feel as though this character has tons of options that I need help utilizing.

What's the rough idea?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey guys. My hipster-main-complex made me wanna pick up a new character. Ganon and Olimar weren't doing it for me, and alot of other characters weren't my cup of tea. I saw R.O.B. was Top Tier in this build and i said "how" but jeez louis! He's so fun! AND, he's got some amazing tools.

So guys, you're looking at the newest R.O.B. main! (probably the only one in Ontario)

People seriously sleep on this guy, he's so good! I picked him up last week and played him in tourney only a few times. Any advice on how to play him? Approaches? Secret goodies?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Please don't play a character just because of a "hipster main complex" lmao. It takes awhile to learn all the **** to make him a *good character.
EDIT: Lmao I wrote gold character on mobile, but yall don't even know R.O.B already hit platinum baybeeeeeee

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Alright chillax, that's not the only reason i'm the guy.

And okay, i'll learn him up. I hope you're not discouraging me maining one of the least player characters :/

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I'd help write a real guide on that cool new guide section if I had another player help me so it isn't just me and my secret boost nair tech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4lsHUKxITg is from 3.0 but it's the closest you'll get to a real guide and it is missing a lot and is pretty skip able if you want. Now this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rWtMwZvKY is essential, you must glide toss and AGT and the stuff I use from this video is the multi tossing the gyro retreat and most of all the gyro jumps, mostly the b reversed one. You must be able to pop out a DACUS everytime you need too which should be a lot. If you need to play on the ground being able to wavedash Ftilt and try to do some pivot stuff is really useful. You can also get more height from a boost by using an aerial after, so it's best to fair at the end of UpB for a little extra value. Doing bost fair into jab low to the ground is the safest thing you'll get on shield and crossup boost Nair will work, more so against not experienced players. B reverses are essential, including wavebounces and even some recoil specials http://www.ssbwiki.com/B-sticking#Performing_a_Recoil_Special but don't bstick like a punk. Besides that R.O.B has some buttons that are just better than others so it'll be pretty clear whats a good move and when to use the more situational stuff. Anyway that's just off the top of my head and this isn't like well thought out or complete, but all of this stuff is really useful, inlcluding the one or two things I probably forgot.

And if the reason you want to play R.O.B is because he's good yet underused isn't necessarily the best reason anyway, considering it's all about match up spreads in this game anyway and it's a possibility R.O.B's good match ups won't come up in your scene or cover anything for another character you would play. R.O.B won't seem like that much of a better character if you are using him against characters that would do just as good against your other mains. I think playing Ganondorf with R.O.B is solid if you actually bothered to learn all the stuff on the list above because it'll let you have a plan B when it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hmn, thanks for the tips!

I definitely am capable of this stuff, R.O.B. has an actually useful DACUS, whereas Ganondorfs is usually risky and for swag lol. As far as the rest goes, I can do all that and do in my gameplay, excepting the Gyro tricks, but those aren't so bad to learn. I just gotta get a feel for him in matchups to see what works and what doesn't. All I know is I'm liking him more and more each day. You're right too, him and Ganon are nice to handle eachothers bad matchups, or in the very least switch it up

Gonna read up on that guide too, see if I can learn a bit.

Last edited:

Serj28

Smash Cadet
Okay friends! Heres some clips of me in our last bi weekly. Just to note I was and still am quite sick and was on T3s the whole time and that is why, at least when I watch, seemed a little slow on reactions and sometimes just stood there looking at my opponent recover lol. Other than that please fire away at what I need to improve on

http://www.twitch.tv/uvic_smash_club/b/637337656?t=2h27m30s (VS #3 ranked in province, Lost)

http://www.twitch.tv/uvic_smash_club/b/637337656?t=2h09m30s (Match I easily won)

http://www.twitch.tv/uvic_smash_club/b/637337656?t=3h13m53s (VS a pretty technical fox, Won)

http://www.twitch.tv/uvic_smash_club/b/637337656?t=3h33m17s (Match I'm most Salty about, played poorly and should have won)

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
looks like you have a solid start, i'd just suggest a few things. I only watched one of your sets but it looked like you barely use the top at all. the top is your bestest friend you really wanna use it a bunch. a lot of people will just shield when they've picked up the top and wait for a good time to glide toss, i think a way better plan is to dash dance/ run around with it in hand. you can still do all of your aerials out of boost while holding it. another suggestion is that charging fsmash to edgeguard is not that great, if you're gonna stay on stage you should just run away -> boost back-> fair when he gets up. also putting the top right near the ledge is real good.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I still pull out ROB every now and then. Just used him to clutch my way past Face, our resident high-level Zelda player, in WFs of a tourney yesterday. I still think he sucks because his shield isn't great and his OoS options are butt. If any consistent spacee gets a lock onto his position, he's screwed. That being said, I still have a bit of fun with him and he has some potential.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No, ROB is good this time around. A bad shield is a bummer yes, even though it used to be worse it's not much better now. But ROB gained a lot in the transition to the new version- worse recoveries mean easier kills, high KBG on a lot of moves means many characters lost mid or high percent conversion tools on ROB, plus a lot of characters just got approach tools or projectiles nerfed to reasonable levels. The only way ROB could still be bad is if you thought he was bottom tier last patch, I thought he was mid. There's no way he went down in viability, so I feel he has to be high tier or better this patch given just the changes to everyone else.

Serj28

Smash Cadet
looks like you have a solid start, i'd just suggest a few things. I only watched one of your sets but it looked like you barely use the top at all. the top is your bestest friend you really wanna use it a bunch. a lot of people will just shield when they've picked up the top and wait for a good time to glide toss, i think a way better plan is to dash dance/ run around with it in hand. you can still do all of your aerials out of boost while holding it. another suggestion is that charging fsmash to edgeguard is not that great, if you're gonna stay on stage you should just run away -> boost back-> fair when he gets up. also putting the top right near the ledge is real good.

My top useage depends on who I'm fighting but I'm trying to use it more often. I am aware that my top usage is something I could improve on. Yeah lol after watching I realise I was charging Fsmash for ledge guards (usually a stronger part of my game). I dunno why but on that day I was doing it way more than usual. Usual for me is almost never. Other that glide toss out of shield why is having a top in hand so important? I can imagine glide toss helps for some movement options, to intercept juggles and to cover your self for a safe landing (all things I'm working on). What else is there?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Glide toss is a totally grounded maneuver, I hope you realize AGT and GT work a little differently, because you need both

Where is 1Up's gyro guide for what you can do with glide tosses, that thing would be mighty helpful for showing him what he can do with it

Last edited:

Serj28

Smash Cadet
Glide toss is a totally grounded maneuver, I hope you realize AGT and GT work a little differently, because you need both

Where is 1Up's gyro guide for what you can do with glide tosses, that thing would be mighty helpful for showing him what he can do with it
Yes I'm aware of this and have watched 1up's video many times. I have glide tossing down pretty well but AGT is still a little foreign to me. Working on it though!

Actually now that you're here, could you take a look at either of the sets I lost, preferably the one against the Marth (first link) and critique me? Would really appreciate it dude.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
If you gonna play against Marth you basically have to cripple yourself and never really jump in an approach, I can't watch the video now and you are better off in the video critique thread.

indio

Smash Rookie
hi, i played rob in brawl, and for some reason haven't in pm. 2 weeks ago i dropped roy and went to my brawl main for fun and thats all she wrote. in these past two weeks my movements improved and im practicing a lot with the gyro. im a scrub for now but eventually ill be up there i know i can do it. robs the best

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
gyro stuff is hard
Z-drops unfortunately get no justice in that tech video - the hitbox comes out immediately (though it's wonky on frame 1 for some reason) and they're a good way to deal some damage with gyro without running the risk of losing it right away, so don't forget about that aspect of his projectile game

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of making a video of like every combo and string R.O.B has if I ever had too much time but I never have done anything with that much editing.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That's not really a feasible, dandizzle, it changes per character, there are hundreds if not thousands per character, and it changes based on DI, SDI, ASDI, based on positioning, based on spacing, and it doesn't even account for staggered situations where you fully cover all their options, making effectively the same as a combo without being as obviously guaranteed as one.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
obviously it's impossible but it could be a good idea to make a video for rob noobs with just bread and butter followup options against some different character weights. i feel like learning rob is kinda daunting for a lot of people because it's hard to know wat to do with him and oracle seems to be the only rob that is on a big stream consistently. also check out this combo from timi https://gfycat.com/ScratchyShoddyCaracal

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
Can someone tell me how I use ROB's Side-B effectively? The only way I can think to use it is punishing unsafe projectiles like Bowser's dash attack (except with a reflect and weak multihits instead of armoring through and knocking away)

Also, how does it hit in the first place? When I see videos of others using it offensively, it hits fine. Meanwhile when I use it, even against CPUs, I hit them only two or three times and end up behind them ripe for a punish

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
The main use is approaching through projectiles yes. You can also use it to cover tech options in some situations, though I only understand this on an intuitive level so idk specifically what tech situations it's good for without actually being in the moment. There are other situational uses too, like say you know the opponent is going to empty land after getting down from some platforms or after jumping out of a juggle or maybe they just plain jumped, you can use it to cover all the locations they could drift to and land in. That's more of a read-based situation though, don't be trying it all the time, because it loses to most aerials or trades at best.

Basically it hits multiple times, frame 14-28, with the hitbox refreshing every 3 frames and it has a final, separate hit frame 29 which is the strong-ish one that can knock down much earlier. So say the first hit you land is frame 16, it'll then hit frame 19 (all of this disregarding hitlag) then frame 22, then 25, then 28. Those would be your 5 multi-hits, which would hopefully push them into the final frame 29 hit. If you pause the game, you can see that one of ROB's arms are bent while he spins his torso and the other is fully extended. The hitboxes are attached to his arms, and because of the weak multi-hit nature, the hits don't always link perfectly into the last one, especially with ASDI/SDI. So generally, if you want to improve your likelihood of getting the last strong hit, you want to space the move so they they don't get hit with very many of the multi-hit hitboxes, so they can't ASDI behind you to avoid the strong hit. Since he moves forward and you want to hit later in the move, just aim to be slightly farther away from them when you start the move instead of right up next to them.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
So I don't have a controller right now to test things but I read about Roy's down tilt being able to be pivoted out of or something of the sort really early to move his hurtbox back quickly after the move. It's a stretch but I'd like to see anything like that, also if any R.O.B has some cool pivot tilt tech cuz that would be great for a solid ground game. Also if there's any cute tether punish stuffs because that's a fun way to make me feel bad for my opponent.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So I don't have a controller right now to test things but I read about Roy's down tilt being able to be pivoted out of or something of the sort really early to move his hurtbox back quickly after the move. It's a stretch but I'd like to see anything like that, also if any R.O.B has some cool pivot tilt tech cuz that would be great for a solid ground game. Also if there's any cute tether punish stuffs because that's a fun way to make me feel bad for my opponent.
ROB doesn't have anything like that because his dash animation doesn't really lean him forward much. But soft pivot let you do fun things easily like dash->pivot dsmash, dash-> pivot utilt, etc. Soft pivots are great.
Ledgehop nair covers all tether drifting options, dunno if that's cute enough for you but it's not really that great until they are at un-boosted nair kill percent (around 140% depending on character).

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Can I like drop a gyro from the ledge hop land into a DACUS? I can get points on reddit for that.

Last edited:

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Friday's tournament went well. Got 2nd losing only to Hyperflame. What can Rob do against Lucas? Also wanna know how to handle Squirtle.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Hyperflame eh?I remember him being scrubby af when we played must of leveled up or something :laugh:. I don't really feel like going in depth for a multitude of reasons right now but even if annoying stuff like his combos and early kill percents bug you the character tends to follow a pretty predictable pattern. If he is shooting Side B's Side B yourself or come down with a boost aerial, if he's dash dancing around you can really do anything, gyro, laser, tilts, boost Fair into jab or cross up boost Nair. If he is pressuring you a lot hold the gyro and if he keeps jumping to pressure using like Dair or whatever you can probably get a few cheeky Upsmash OOS without any CC. Probably best to just grab the ledge and see what happens vs. him 2. From Hyperflame in particular I remember EZ tech chases and no SDI out of Dsmash so maybe that's still a thing.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
i feel so scrubby for not knowing this and being too lazy to figure it out myself, is rob's dair a spike or meteor?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
You can also use it to cover tech options in some situations, though I only understand this on an intuitive level so idk specifically what tech situations it's good for without actually being in the moment.
The tech chase situation you are probably thinking of is the situation where you have a char (preferably a spacee) knocked down near the middle of the stage (so he's not pinned and all of his tech options are effectively different) and he missed the tech, but you were too slow or not in the right position to punish it immediately. Optimally, this char would also be at a high enough % that he would get knocked down by sideB. You can position yourself in a position that will allow you to react to every single get-up option with ease. Standing out of get-up attack range allows you to dsmash in reaction to the opponent rolling towards you, and ftilt in reaction to the opponent getting up or attacking in place. If the opponent tries to roll away, then you can sideB after him and knock him down again (or even edgeguard him if his roll away brought him up against the ledge).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
yeah I was looking into it a few days ago and started noticing when I was using it. I don't think it'll usually catch roll away tho, not in the situation I'm using it. I think what I'm using it for is like you said, I'm too far away to position for dsmash coverage, but rather than wait for the missed tech, I time it so this hitboxes align with their vulnarbility, so I side-b to catch missed tech/tech in place/tech roll in, forcing them to take the bad positioning of roll away, and probs with frame advantage on my end. If they're near an edge it can cover 4/4, too, sending them offstage unless their SDI is on point

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
ya sideb is good against dashdancing near the ledge cuz they don't have enough room to run away

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Well they have room to shield... that's all it takes for a punish, since even side-b cross-up isn't safe on shield against a decent bair

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Switching over from Smash 4 and getting into my local Project M scene. I thought this might be a good place to introduce myself to P:M's ROB mains. Any tips starting out in P:M?

Top Bottom