• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Metroid is literally impressed by everyone because he cannot bring himself to not compliment anyone
Guy is too nice, his compliments' value decrease due to inflation

Also there's no window where you can't do anything, it only feels that way because there's no buffer to time everything frame perfectly for you
There is a window where I can't cancel the gyro I mean. And that's me not buffering it. I'd love to be wrong on that.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Lolz, there's no way to know. We haven't heard anything about ROB from the PMBRDT forever.

Does anyone have examples of fights that R.O.B wins or is a very positive 50/50? It would be pretty useful to me to know.
"Positive 50/50" makes absolutely no sense. That would be something like a 55:45 or something. In any case, I think ROB beats Peach, Ganon, ICs, Jiggs, Ivy, Samus, Olimar, and G&W (so basically, the bad chars + Peach). He probably goes even-ish with Wario, Luigi, Bowser, Zelda, Wolf, Lucario, ZSS, Ness, DDD, Ike, and Sonic, IMHO.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I used the term positive 50/50 because a lot of people are too frugal to lean one way in a match up. I really hate it, it doesn't help discussion. And you can't say all those characters are bad lmao.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I really think that all the chars which ROB beats are mediocre except for Samus (missed that one) and Peach.

Why Sonic if I may ask?
Sonic is a super bait-and-punish character who actually has pretty bad priority on almost all of his spinning hitboxes. He can't really challenge anything and he loses most trades. ROB can outright beat this strategy if he doesn't commit to approaching. Lasers hit through the spin-dash, and the gyro blocks it. I only think this MU is even because ROB is slow and Sonic is fast. Also, ROB's shield is terrible and Sonic's spin-dash pressure excels at eating away shields and eventually poking them. Interestingly, ROB's OoS options are mediocre, but his usmash OoS is actually a decent option against HA.

berto

Smash Rookie
A personally feel that the matchup against ivy isn't really in ROBs favor. Is there a reason why you feel that the match against Ivy is in ROBs favor?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Quite a few. Our camping and defensive options are generally much more solid than hers. Laser hits through everything. The Gyro doesn't stop Razor Leaf, but it slows it down by a tremendous amount allowing us to react to it. That goes hand-in-hand with the next thing: reflection. It is really easy to reflect Ivy's leaves on-reaction, and once they're reflected, we get great rewards from them. Even the Arm Rotor itself is hard for Ivy to punish, since her CQC game is lacking. We are also one of the few chars who get to gimp tether chars easily and Ivy is free. Just drop a gyro or dropzone fair her.

As for other things, Ivy can be dthrow CG'd at lower %'s, and after that, dthrow combos into usmash. When that stops working, dthrow combos into nair, and when that stops working, she's ready to be killed. :p Ivy is pretty light and she's fairly floaty. Most of Ivy's moves are also weak and really easy to CC. We can even CC dsmash after absorbing her entire ftilt.

What's left? Oh, Seed Bomb! We can aerial through those..... :smash:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
heh and the tether nerfs coming. R.O.B da bess confirmed

Yea I agree we do well against her because with good spam and one good read you can really mess her up. An Ivysaur who has to approach isn't a happy Ivysaur. I like throwing the gyro at her when she is tethering to the ledge and if you beat her with enough fairs she may not make it back. If your having more trouble you do more b-reserves and wavebounces. Also if you don't any of the gyro tech your at a big disadvantage, just do the stuff in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rWtMwZvKY everyone R.O.B should use these techniques.

But Bubbaking GnW aint bad dude not one bit, just not many play him and and those who do don't use what makes him good. Dat up-B is godlike for everything. I will also be realistic and say he isn't amazing but he is pretty solid.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Dthrow can't CG Ivy lol. With no DI you can only even CG sheik for one throw from 0, I can't possibly imagine Ivy being faster falling or even close to her fall speed.

berto

Smash Rookie
I think if anything it's more of an even match up due to the early kills that rob can get on her and if we can get it than we can do some damage. For example you mentioned the arm rotor. Sure it's good against the razor leaf due to how slow it approaches,but a good ivy will catch on to it and will counter it with her aerials, which if used effectively will pretty much counter robs arm rotor.

Also I don't really think you can cg her that much considering she's floaty.

Rob can't really spam her either . Yes you can hit her with a laser and throw gyro, but a good ivy will use that gyro to its advantage by using d-air and healing/charging its solar beam. Plus the multi hit on the b-air and reach on both fair and b-air will allow her To hit the gyro when it is thrown at her.

And the seed bombs, if used effectively, can be used to cover the ledge by having 2 thrown almost back to back and they will cover the ledge with b -airs while you're recovering. It's pretty damn hard to recover when all that is being thrown at you consider they can cover the high part and the actual ledge itself with all those options. So I wouldn't necessarily say we can Aerial those.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
also i heard my boy papa roughed you up pretty good mr eric :)
Haha yea. I'm still very new to the game but I'm picking it up pretty fast. I've made a few surprising wins since I moved to Cincinnati in august. I got the game in June but had no one to practice with. The scene here is here is very active. I just hope they get better bc as a whole o don't think the city is that strong.

How do you know papa?

Also mister*

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
It may be that Ivy can't legitimately CG Ivy, but most Ivys I play against DI away to avoid combos which actually lets ROB regrab at low %'s. MK has very similar tech on most medium-falling chars. If they DI in, they get combo'd easily, but if they DI out, they get regrabbed. Also, dthrow combos into at least two or three fairs at low %'s.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
We have a god damn matchup thread now your making the copy paste struggle too real lmao. Anywho I made it even because Berto has some points and I thought about it a bit but maybe it'll change.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
bubbaking 1v1 me m8 i'll fookin bash ya skull in. Xfire is in a week m8, I'll be sure to schedule a R.O.B slapdown into my schedule.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
Oh, a beepo in columbus? I'll get to play you soon then. I need to learn.
i will be at alfacollusion 3 on the 20th here in columbus. come team with me for PM doubles :p
outside of that i do not travel very much, though it is a shame that the next mason biweekly isn't until the 27th, and to be perfectly honest, it isn't very likely that i end up going to that anyway

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't know how good R.O.B is in doubles, I've heard it been called not 2 good but there's a lot of cool stuff he can do in doubles. Saving people with the laser, not getting wrecked as hard for bad OOS options, being able to take someone offstage for a friend, and a good laserrs or gyro can save your partner from a combo. It seems good just hard to execute.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't know how good R.O.B is in doubles, I've heard it been called not 2 good but there's a lot of cool stuff he can do in doubles. Saving people with the laser, not getting wrecked as hard for bad OOS options, being able to take someone offstage for a friend, and a good laserrs or gyro can save your partner from a combo. It seems good just hard to execute.
yeah, his projectiles (especially power-laser) allow him to dictate the entire match at times. but you have to be very careful not to hit your own teammate with everything, since it is quite easy. gyro can hit more than one person per airtime for example, which many times can unintentionally mean your teammate.

stock tanking with him works fairly well if you can work with less space than usual

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yea it just wasn't as clear to me because my teammate plays Charizard and its kidna impossible to not hit him or for him to not hit me. So imma play Olimar if he plays Charizard.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
i will be at alfacollusion 3 on the 20th here in columbus. come team with me for PM doubles :p
outside of that i do not travel very much, though it is a shame that the next mason biweekly isn't until the 27th, and to be perfectly honest, it isn't very likely that i end up going to that anyway
y no travel?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I kinda wanna make a ROB combo video. I have lots of clips to contribute, I'm sure a few of us do, and we can get assorted clips from various forum members/redditors etc. I could also suggest (copyright free, even monetizable) music from electronic genres with robotic sounds befitting ROB's character theme/"robotic personality". What I lack is video editing/processing software or skills, else I would try to di it myself.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Use Windows Movie Maker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But seriously, I need to have a match recorded and go to another tourney but there's nothing until Friday and I doubt they have a recording setup. In the future I can play netplay and record that but I'd like an offline tourney match to get critiqued by you guys, considering lag, I don't have the gamecube adapter and my PC still don't work.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I have some interesting ROB clips I could contribute, but I'd need to figure out how all of my capture card **** works first, which I still have yet to do.....

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
List R.O.B as your P.M main on your Smashboards profile, we need to rep harder. We'll be the coolest kids on the block.

DayQuil

Smash Rookie
Any of you guys play on Netplay? The only other ROB I've seen on Anther's Ladder was ViRu5 and I'm curious in trying out some dittos

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I wish I could, but my laptop is ancient... :urg:

bubbaking 1v1 me m8 i'll fookin bash ya skull in. Xfire is in a week m8, I'll be sure to schedule a R.O.B slapdown into my schedule.
Xfire was the very day you made that post, and I was there... <__< Next one will be in two weeks.

About that doubles topic, I remember that the last time I spoke with JC, he said he'd rather go Wario or some other char 'cause he feels that ROB is not that good in teams. I think, however, that ROB is actually pretty decent. Like you guys said, projectiles are are great for controlling the pace of the match throughout the entire stage, and ROB can secure quick gimps and tank stocks fairly well. ROB is also a great wall. If your teammate is nutting on/edgeguarding an opponent in a 1 v 1 situation, ROB can zone really well with tilts, fair, and projectiles to keep the other teammate away, and he can easily turn around and chip in with his own pressure or a quick well-placed fsmash. Another great trait is that ROB has very fast launcher throws with excellent horizontal angles that can send the opponent across the stage or off the ledge. He can also recover in pretty much any fashion (as long as he has all three boosts) to adapt to the situation, and between his teammate's stocks, he can stall up in the air or offstage fairly well with dair, boosters, and an AGT if he has a booster, plus he can hold the opponents off with projectiles. When it comes to specific team-ups, ROB's gyro can give Ivy a significant boost in her ability to charge. Also, ROB can use Diddy's naners for GTs really well.

The one biggest problem I have with ROB in doubles, though, is his weak killing power. Sure, it's great to have good gimping potential, but in the grand scheme of things, ROB doesn't really help too well with keeping up the KO rate. Dthrow takes way too long and doesn't even reliably combo at kill %'s and uthrow still takes slightly too long and doesn't really kill until 150+% anyway. In addition, his kill moves outside of fsmash (which is weak) are kinda large and 'messy', so it can be a little difficult to nab a good hit on an opponent without accidentally tagging your partner. Even though I still think ROB is a good doubles char (and is much better in doubles than he is in singles), I don't like to use him much anymore. I would rather just use Zard to perform his roles, since he has a lot of the same traits plus he can easily kill with well-placed tilts and 'clean' aerials.

ROB + Zard is a terrible team, though. You'd do well to switch if your partner plays Zard, 'dizzle.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Aww wat? I swore it was next week. And I'll be playing netplay again soonish hopefully.

EDIT: Smashboards says its this Friday sooooo....

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'm that crazy for trusting the Smashboards post. At least I have other stuff to do next weekend so I don't die of boredom. I just played all day yesterday so I won't be too rusty next time. And what's an AT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom