• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I sadly don't have a ps3 so I can't really go hard on blazblue :(. If I get one for cheap on Craigslist or something that would be great. I'll play p4au when it hits, but my Terumi will stay scrubby :(

DayQuil

Smash Rookie
I haven't played BB since continuum shift extend, but Tager was my main. Gotta love those distortions that do half a bar of dmg :smirk:

Lemme know when you get back on netplay Dandizzle :shades:

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I hate the word gimmick because everybody has a different definition of it and none of them are the right one. So you get people calling somethinf a gimmick by their definition and they are kinda right but by other definitions they are kinda wrong. It's like speaking different languages, really shitty way to communicate.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Not competively lol but I'll get some nice discounts bringing the set up. I probably won't enter it.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'll probably play it since I want to be good at all smash games but PM will probably be my priority because it's easier to practice something that has more longevity for fun. Smash4 will be lucky to fill a niche of a mobile smash game though that I can practice on break at work so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up with both.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
looking at all the gameplay, it seems that the new smash might be based on setting up your opponent. I can definitely see myself entering the competitive gameplay, but I also wanna improve my PM skills. my problem is that paying to join the local weeklies is hurting my wallet at the moment.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Every smash is based on setting up your opponent. Smash64 you set up almost exclusively for high damage combos, in brawl you set up almost exclusively for low damage and as much stage positioning as you can muster, PM and Melee allow both to work (high damage or stage positioning) depending on your character/their character/the set-up etc, but not to the same extremes. So my point is that that's a really vague thing you just said.

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I guess I meant more on the stage positioning, though a few hard hitting combos do work pretty well. by what I've seen, the most interesting mechanic is that meteor smashes now cause the opponent to bounce off he ground even if the attack connects in the air.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't help that most of the characters I like seem to blow but I can't say for sure because I haven't played them¯\_(ツ)_/¯. My biggest issue is it taking a year to turn around from a dash and there isn't much of a way to avoid it because there's no dash dancing. Even though I like using cool aerials it just seems to limit a lot of characters and makes the game more "linear".

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
by what I've seen, the most interesting mechanic is that meteor smashes now cause the opponent to bounce off he ground even if the attack connects in the air.
It appears, though, that those same meteor smashes no longer bounce grounded opponents. They just knock them down.

My biggest issue is it taking a year to turn around from a dash and there isn't much of a way to avoid it because there's no dash dancing. Even though I like using cool aerials it just seems to limit a lot of characters and makes the game more "linear".
Lolz, there are already systems in place to make up for that. RAR is still in of course, and honestly, Smash 4's skids seem to be shorter than those in other Smash games. That's not what I'm alluding to, though. What I'm talking about is how any character can now easily perform an instant reverse ftilt, fsmash, sideB, or grab out of a skid. With a little more execution, you can perform these same options in the direction you're facing. Between those, RAR, and the option that's always been in Smash to cancel the skid in order to simply continue running in the direction you were going, I'd say we still have quite a few nice options out of a run/skid.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
My opinion is that I think it's cool. Honestly, I had no problem with Brawl's airdodges outside of the fact that it could cancel hitstun. However, I would say Smash 4's airdodges are better because they seem to impose a lot of lag for using them, allowing for them to be more easily punished with frame-traps. As such, there is a much clearer risk/reward ratio here.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Bubba is Xfire or any other tourney happening this weekend? Going to the city is really annoying and I'm pretty sure Xfire is happening Friday right? Just wasn't on the events section and much rather do sometihng this weekend then the next.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I actually have no idea. The last one was a couple weeks ago, but no new one was announced and there's no FB event for one this week. Then again, Xfire is known for giving practically no notice for their tourneys beforehand and doing very little advertising, so I wouldn't be surprised if a tourney is still in the works for this week.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I gotta go somewhere to play this weekend man I need my fix and I don't think I have any other plans. Guess I gotta go to nebulous then. They got all dat talent tho

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/threads/sep-...es-at-world-gamer-nation-greenlawn-ny.362690/ This says its next week and it says biweekly so I dunno if there would be a tourney this Friday. Man we have a pretty good amount of players around here why they gotta be all secretive?

Also if anyone cares I know what is causing my PC to not work but I don't know how long it'll be until I get my new part (I think I can snag one under warranty if not I'm pretty sure I can afford the motherboard but it's expensive) >install it > nothing else goes wrong > get netplay setup (including getting the adapter) and play. R.O.B dittos take way more priority than other matches so just msg me someway and I'll play with you if your not far from East Coast.

I'd like to talk about the biggest mistakes people make with R.O.B or bad habits you have with R.O.B because I am pretty rusty and might defualt to scrubby **** when I finally get to a tourney.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The last post in that thread was from August. Also, they usually make an FB event for each tourney. When I asked about it in the NY/NJ PM group, though, someone said it was still on, so I'm not sure either.

One of the biggest habits a lot of ROBs have, other than trying to spot-dodge and/or CC dsmash too many things, is to always recover high with a boost nair. That stuff is easy to punish when it's seen coming.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
This will be hopefully my last post on the subject but apparently Xfire is not this Friday anymore on their Facebook so that sucks. I can't make it 2 the SBU weekly next week either because it's my birthday and someone is probably gonna take me out to eat and stuff, not complaining lol. I'll try to go to the Xfire next week though, shouldn't be a problem. I'll drag L_Pag with me too if I can if you still wanna fight.

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
Wassup! ROB main here, dont frequent smashboards much but im down to start. ill be on netplay a bunch starting like mid-early october, thats when my housemate is moving in with a good computer. Im curious about a tech i discovered, wondering if anyone else does it. So out of side boost I'll hit bair and down on the ctrl stick at the same time, makes you fall a good amount before the hitbox comes out and then you can fast fall the bair right around when the hitbox comes out so its 2 different fastfalls for the 1 aerial.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Bair just resets your vertical momentum such that if you were fast falling before the hit came out, you'll revert to normal fall speed afterwards. Having to input a fast fall twice to fastfall for the whole duration of bair is not beneficial really. But having the option to not fastfall after the hit is, for example if you want to fast fall into bair deep offstage, it'll slow you down just as you hit the opponent. Unfortunately the fall speed reset appears to happen on the first frame of the hitbox, so if you want to stretch the hitbox more by falling faster, you have to fast fall after the hit, mostly negating the value of that oddity.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Ey so my PC is working now, I'll set up netplay in a couple days but I don't have an adapter or another controller to play with yet. If you'd like to play in the future message me on Smashboards or give me your Skype or sometihng.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
Sick I'll be on dat netplay grind starting like October 10th, might have to play on an xbox controller for a while though. So I've been trying to incorporate rob's DACUS into my play recently, so far I've found it can work after dsmash, running attack, and potentially uthrow in certain situations. Other than hitting people on platforms above, anyone have other good uses for it?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Somtimes you can get it after fair but that is only in very certain situations. Basically since the first hitbox knocks them up, you can use it to punish them (This chips low shields a lot) as long as they are on the ground of not 2 high in the air 2 dodge the second hitbox. Also xbox controller is bad for netplay it's what I used when I had it like 6 months ago just takes getting used 2.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
what's the timing on the DACUS? it was so easy in brawl, but here I seem to get a dash or a grab most of the time.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
I think if you get dash attack you were too slow and if you get grab you were too fast. I don't know how many frames or anything though.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's a one frame window using grab. Using attack will give you a two frame window so I recommend doing that. You can also set another button to attack, like an unused shoulder button, and that will make it easier. In brawl there's buffer so the window is bigger.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I use attack and it comes out pretty much every time, and it's really worth the effort because its very good and not terribly hard to do with attack.

Last edited:

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
Primarily as a ledge guarding tool I think. If you can read the other ROB's recovery pattern then lasering one of his boosts is a safe and easy way of knocking out one of his three boosts. Probably also as an anti-air if the other ROB boosts in to approach, although there are probably better options. (Up-angled ftilt being one, I think)

Top Bottom