• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR! - R.O.B. Social

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

berto

Smash Rookie
There is a couple of people that play sheik in Austin, but one guy in specifically that comes from San Antonio always destroys. And Zelda can be a pain, but it's definitely doable as ROB. My bestfriend/training partner mains Zelda so I have a lot of practice against her.

Ike is pretty fun, but definitely one that I will use and misuse my gyro lol. And yeah I agree, the Fox matchup to me is actually a lot of fun. Specially, playing against a really good Fox.

Another character that I tend to do poorly against is Lucas. Once I start getting shield pressured, I find it a lot harder to get out of that shield pressure than even Fox's at times

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I kinda like to fight Mario as ROB I guess... Actually I don't like to fight any particular character as ROB. I just do best as him.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
What's not honest about camping ike? With QD, power shields and hitting gyro with jab or nair he can get around it. It's not really bad for a good Ike. I think we do a lot better against Lucas than some other characters if you don't let him do anything on shield ever. Its not that bad at worst 45-55 and after the patch shouldn't be bad at all.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I want to say a bit more about Lucas because I didn't really say anything that useful before. I don't mind fighting Lucas that much because he isn't too fast of a faller so you can kill of the top a lot easier than spacies etc., his recovery doesn't bring him back from 2 far if you get him with a fair chain (To be even easier in 3.5) and downthrow into Upsmash works really well. Just try to space him out but know when you have the right amount of hitstun for a safe combo, and what leads into what on him. If he shoots a Side-B you can spin into it for a decent approach and maybe a grab in certain situations. Watch out for tether grabs into upthrow and if he is attacking your shield you messed up, any decent Lucas can stab you through it easily. Also rename the thread "R.O.B 3.0 matchup thread and sometimes social stuff but we are too awkward to do that too often."

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I do like ROB vs Ike a lot because it's one of those MUs where I'm allowed to set the pace of the match with gyro and lasers. If Ike tries to attack through or around Gyro, it's easily punished. The best way for him to deal with it, actually, is to QD WD to grab it, then throw it up (not away so we can just refresh a new one). It's not easy to PS our laser, 'cause a good ROB will shoot it when he tries to QD. However, I actually agree about the honesty part. Both sides make each other aware of what they can and can't get away with.

I really hate playing against a good Fox. They very rarely get grabbed, so it becomes long poking war except your pokes don't amount to much unless they knock down and his pokes lead to full combos and usmashes. (>_<) Also, good Fox pressure is nigh inescapable, we get poked stupidly easily, and our rolls can be usmashed on-reaction. Speaking of usmash, a spaced one from Fox can't be punished...

I don't think I can come up with one most favorite MU.....but I can come up with four that are around the same level for me. :p My four favorite MUs are Wolf, Falco, Peach, and Ganon. Wolf and Falco are almost the same. Their projectiles are easy to reflect and very useful to us if we do reflect them, and they're easy to gimp, Falco being the easiest to gimp, obviously. Peach is great because she's so slow. If she tries to float, I can just shoot her out of the air or tag her with fair or uair or something, and if she gets too close, I can just boost away or even over her. Like, ROB can actually circle-camp Peach, she's so slow. :rotfl: Ganon is just.....bad. Gyro can stop all of his approaches except Wizkick (and laser can take care of that), and offstage, you just tag him with fair or dair, and if he's at a certain position.........*blip*...............he's dead (gryo then edgehog).

This is actually a pretty 'social' thread, since we're talking about favorite/most hated MUs and stuff and not just sticking to one topic.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Even though I main Ike in PM, I have yet to even fight a ROB since they don't actually exist. Still, I doubt it would be a fun MU for him, lol. I imagine it sort of being like a slower-paced Sonic MU, where ROB can shut down your approaches in a lot of situations and you generally have to just go for hard reads.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
It isn't fun for either side. Once Ike gets in, it's really hard to shake him off. Our shield is bad so his dtilt pokes. Most of his stuff outrange our grab and fairing him Oos is awkward. Jab > grab and jab x2 > grab are super annoying unless you CC the jab, but the full jab combo is also a thing. Once we get grabbed, we're getting hit, and that might be the most frustrating part of the MU. If I try to 'combo DI' to avoid the follow-up hit, I often end up just killing myself because of the terrible 'survival DI' off the unavoidable fair from Ike. Best to just not care about the hit and DI to survive. Also, recovering against Ike is scary, as is getting off the ledge, but I'd imagine that Ike has an even scarier time offstage, although I think he has a much easier time getting off the ledge. All in all, I'd say the MU is fairly even-ish.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
THATS WHY I THINK ITS FUN MANNNNNNN. Also apparently you go to tourneys I go to Bubbaking, so why don't I see any R.O.B? I'll rek ur **** m8.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Yeah, sort of reminds me of the Falco-Lucario MU in Brawl, since Falco was one of my mains and I played a lot of Lucarios. Falco has zoning, but Lucario can cause a lot of pain when he gets in.

I'd definitely agree about Ike going offstage. Even though he has some stuff like B-reversed QD walljumping to help him survive, ROB's air mobility is infinitely better, so he'll be doing his best to send straight to the bottom blast zone. The only thing I'd see ROB needing to worry about when gimping is Aether, but IIRC it's even completely vulnerable for several frames around its highest point, so if you know the MU well enough Ike's not going have a fun time getting back on-stage.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
We should all go to some really big national and have a R.O.B round robin for the prize of an OG nintendo R.O.B secured to a plaque that says "The best of the mediocre."

berto

Smash Rookie
I (surprisingly) had to ROB ditto someone at a tournament in Houston once and it wasn't all that fun, but regardless I would be down for a round robin pool at a big national lol

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I ROB ditto'd oracle in a couple friendly games at WHOBO. I thought they were very fun, especially in all the ridiculous ways that ROB either negates his own tools or abuses his own weaknesses.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure I'm the only ROB main in this and the adjacent states to Utah. Like literally the only one.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure about Arizona. Odds are they have at least ONE.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I have never played another semi-serious R.O.B and I blame Bubbaking. Any who how do we feel about the recovery changes coming especially the tether changes, coming in 3.5? I'd imagine from ledge nairs would hit and probably bairs that would send them back offstage unless the hop goes really far away. With 50 frames of lag I'm pretty sure we can do whatever we want to tethers if you aren't slow about it.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
THATS WHY I THINK ITS FUN MANNNNNNN. Also apparently you go to tourneys I go to Bubbaking, so why don't I see any R.O.B? I'll rek ur **** m8.
What tournaments have you been to that I was also at? :confused: Please forgive my memory; I am terrible at remembering tags (I usually ask for players' real names in person), but I am much better with faces.

I have never played another semi-serious R.O.B and I blame Bubbaking. Any who how do we feel about the recovery changes coming especially the tether changes, coming in 3.5? I'd imagine from ledge nairs would hit and probably bairs that would send them back offstage unless the hop goes really far away. With 50 frames of lag I'm pretty sure we can do whatever we want to tethers if you aren't slow about it.
Have we actually played in bracket? Well, if you specifically request me to go ROB in the ditto (or MM me afterwards or something), I might be inclined to oblige. It's just that I'd probably just go Zard against a fellow ROB 'cause that is a pretty good MU for Zard (I do the same thing in Melee by going Sheik against fellow Sami :p ).

Btw, according to the PMBR's blog post, tether hops actually have 80 frames of lag (50 frames of airborne animation and 30 frames of landing lag). That's longer than a second. :crazy: With all that time, I'm almost certain ROB should definitely be able to nair, bair, or dair tether hoppers easily from the ledge...maybe even ledgedash into a u/fsmash or something. As long as ROB isn't hit too hard by these recovery nerfs, he should definitely enjoy the next patch. However, I feel he will still be mediocre unless they fix some of his biggest weaknesses: lack of OoS options and killing power.

Edit: So I went and did some research, and it turns out that you were in my pool at SBU 2.5, and we were both also at Warzone 3. I don't think we've ever actually played, though... Have we ever met or attended the same tourneys elsewhere?

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Btw, according to the PMBR's blog post, tether hops actually have 80 frames of lag (50 frames of airborne animation and 30 frames of landing lag). That's longer than a second.
That would be true if they couldn't land during the 50 frame period. Some characters will naturally hit the ground long before it's over, and others can probably fast fall for the same effect. The floatiest of them (samus?) might even still be airborne after 50 frames, meaning she could act before landing, but that's speculation.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
If you go to those biweeklies at that in game store in Huntington then yea I went there last week and will try to go every time, just that they messed up and didn't enter me in the tourney. There's a new biweekly on fridays near me and apparently you so I'll check that out too. I also went to that super smash bros league thing in Plainview twice but I don't think I can do it anymore. You know L_Pag right? I go to every tourney he goes to, and he remembers you. I am not playing R.O.B if you are playing Charizard that's for sure, my Olimar has around a 50/50 on you and after 3.5 you best fear the Omar~ R.O.B dittos and if I'm feeling spunky then a low cost money match and maybe after you can play that stupid dragon.

Also I can't see the backroom nerfing R.O.B's recovery really because it isn't even that great compared to others and every part of is just as useful onstage. I wrote a lot on Reddit about this because giving R.O.B two boosts and the ability not to airdodge after them was suggested by someone. He realized he was wrong but isn't that crazy? People are getting a little bit out of hand with these recovery nerfs, soon they will be giving Jigglypuff and Kirby less jumps because it ruins the Melee environment.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROBs recovery may not be as gimp proof as someone like Samus or mewtwo or pikachu but he's still got an amazing recovery and it will definitely be adjusted. It's really effective to mix up between coming in high with a high priority nair in order to land and regain your boosts; or going low to use your super low side-b ledge sweetspot, then using the invincibility to edge dash or robodashdash back on and regain boosts. The only thing his recovery suffers against are characters like Sheik and diddy who can send him off at a low angle with a fair, forcing him either to recover low against needles/bananas+peanuts, or force him to expend everything trying to recover high. But characters with tools like that are a minority.

I just don't know if PMBR PMDT JCaesar will adjust that without further fucking over the character. Reducing boost count or removing airdodges out of boost are good examples of simultaneously fucking over ROB's onstage ability. Better alternatives- make his ledge sweetspot for side-b less absurd, reduce or remove extra momentum gained when interrupting an up-b at the end with an aerial, make dair into a stall-less meteor that has more combo utility or simply reduce further the stall ability it has. There, now his recovery is super linear and predictable, gimpable, but still goes an above average distance, good for gimping, but overall mediocre for recovering against an active opponent.

Last edited:

berto

Smash Rookie
Yeah well the guy that I played focused a lot on the boost->nair so after a while it got really predictable.
I actually have never played Oracle. Hopefully one day we'll play at a tourney and i can learn from him lol

Yeah I wonder what all it will involve considering that jcaesar had mentioned he will be getting a "polish"

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if R.O.B actually has a good recovery as long as he can still do what he's good with gimping, approaching, etc. which are all connected to his recovery. Also instead of can't see I should of said disappointed because I wouldn't be surprised if they did change it but it sure isn't the right call. It just seems silly to make a character worse that isn't in anyway overpowered without compensation, which I highly doubt will be done correctly. I really don't care losing things Side-B sweetspot range but I can totally see tweaks like that occurring with a little out of place buff to replace it, leaving R.O.B overall weaker or the same. People accused P.M of nerfing too quickly, yet the "bottom tier" hasn't seen much changes (small things certainly, but nothing to really make someone more solid overall) to really make it change from patch to patch, while the project shouldn't become a new game with each patch, fixing problems in these weaker character should be somewhat important for a good competitive experience. I don't like to say bottom tier because Ganondorf, Olimar, R.O.B and friends are still not far from where they should be, it's just aggravating to see other characters get more spotlight from the development team and the players when they are all interesting to play and watch. And I'm sure some if not most of them will get the right changes but I can't say all of them will. We should of been louder earlier with our ideas and maybe we should get more people developing R.O.B because it seems like a one man show currently, which isn't the best to make R.O.B the character we all want him to be.

I can't be that mad because R.O.B is still my favorite character to play and I could never make myself stop playing him. And thats the great thing about P.M, maybe one day we can all play whoever we want and be just as viable, we sure are every close! It's the worst feeling when you like to play someone in a competitive game because he or she is well designed, looks cool, or fun to use, yet isn't good enough to give you the fair chance against the other characters. I haven't reached the point where R.O.B is the reason I lost alone, but I sure would have a easier time if I choose someone different.

Last edited:

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Ganondorf is THAT bad, (In the sense of being as bad as Jiggs/being much worse than R.O.B) but I didn't mean to group them all as just as bad, just as examples of characters being currently "overlooked" and those that could use changes but aren't getting them. It wasn't exactly fair for me to put Olimar in there considering he's been around for one patch though,

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If you go to those biweeklies at that in game store in Huntington then yea I went there last week and will try to go every time, just that they messed up and didn't enter me in the tourney. There's a new biweekly on fridays near me and apparently you so I'll check that out too. I also went to that super smash bros league thing in Plainview twice but I don't think I can do it anymore. You know L_Pag right? I go to every tourney he goes to, and he remembers you. I am not playing R.O.B if you are playing Charizard that's for sure, my Olimar has around a 50/50 on you and after 3.5 you best fear the Omar~ R.O.B dittos and if I'm feeling spunky then a low cost money match and maybe after you can play that stupid dragon.
Oh yeah, you mean the PnT tourney, right? Yeah, I think I remember you now... That other biweekly you're referring to must be Xfire (went to that one, too). Lolz, I'm looking forward to playing with you at one of these events soon.

We should of been louder earlier with our ideas and maybe we should get more people developing R.O.B because it seems like a one man show currently, which isn't the best to make R.O.B the character we all want him to be.
We were pretty loud before the current patch...

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I don't care if R.O.B actually has a good recovery as long as he can still do what he's good with gimping, approaching, etc. which are all connected to his recovery. Also instead of can't see I should of said disappointed because I wouldn't be surprised if they did change it but it sure isn't the right call. It just seems silly to make a character worse that isn't in anyway overpowered without compensation, which I highly doubt will be done correctly. I really don't care losing things Side-B sweetspot range but I can totally see tweaks like that occurring with a little out of place buff to replace it, leaving R.O.B overall weaker or the same. People accused P.M of nerfing too quickly, yet the "bottom tier" hasn't seen much changes (small things certainly, but nothing to really make someone more solid overall) to really make it change from patch to patch, while the project shouldn't become a new game with each patch, fixing problems in these weaker character should be somewhat important for a good competitive experience. I don't like to say bottom tier because Ganondorf, Olimar, R.O.B and friends are still not far from where they should be, it's just aggravating to see other characters get more spotlight from the development team and the players when they are all interesting to play and watch. And I'm sure some if not most of them will get the right changes but I can't say all of them will. We should of been louder earlier with our ideas and maybe we should get more people developing R.O.B because it seems like a one man show currently, which isn't the best to make R.O.B the character we all want him to be.

I can't be that mad because R.O.B is still my favorite character to play and I could never make myself stop playing him. And thats the great thing about P.M, maybe one day we can all play whoever we want and be just as viable, we sure are every close! It's the worst feeling when you like to play someone in a competitive game because he or she is well designed, looks cool, or fun to use, yet isn't good enough to give you the fair chance against the other characters. I haven't reached the point where R.O.B is the reason I lost alone, but I sure would have a easier time if I choose someone different.
I often play low tier characters in fighting games and know those feels. Fortunately, the game is still in the process of balancing, and the metagame is in its infancy, so I don't think ROB will be considered awful forever. I doubt he's going to do anything drastic, but I think with a little more representation he'll be pretty solid.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
More representation is not going to make ROB solid, it will make him worse. I feel like that's one of the few advantages ROB has universally is that he's a rare matchup so there's so few players that have as much matchup knowledge on you as you do on them. So much shit ROB has works almost exclusively because people don't know how to get out of it. Like dsmash. Lots of characters get out just by holding up starting from the first hit. But that's something ROB has to rely on, because it's his only good pressure breaker that doesn't rely on his awful shield and can't be CC'd. And there are other examples of that too, including but not limited to people not being able to PS his laser very often (sethlon can) or know how to deal with gyro in a way that makes it harder for ROB to have access to.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
#ThingsSethlondoes

Yea I agree with you and I'd write more but I don't wanna. Just think would other players like aMSa and SS do as well if their characters were popular and the average smasher has had experience against their pick often? Sure it doesn't completely apply to R.O.B but I go to a tournament and I'll play a lot of friendlies with a guy, initially they will do bad in comparison to how they will do later in day, for most people haven't fought a serious R.O.B and don't know how to exploit his shortcomings.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yay a social.

Hi beepos

I was wondering why there wasn't a social here. I just picked up pm back in June. I traveled for brawl playing rob for 5 yrs. I feel like I'm making decent progress, I just wish I didn't live in the Midwest. I'm traveling 4 hrs to Illinois atm for SMYM.

It doesn't seem like there's a decent amount of notable rob mains. I hope that changes and I hope I can help at some point.

Anywho, nice to meet all of you.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
More representation is not going to make ROB solid, it will make him worse. I feel like that's one of the few advantages ROB has universally is that he's a rare matchup so there's so few players that have as much matchup knowledge on you as you do on them. So much shit ROB has works almost exclusively because people don't know how to get out of it. Like dsmash. Lots of characters get out just by holding up starting from the first hit. But that's something ROB has to rely on, because it's his only good pressure breaker that doesn't rely on his awful shield and can't be CC'd. And there are other examples of that too, including but not limited to people not being able to PS his laser very often (sethlon can) or know how to deal with gyro in a way that makes it harder for ROB to have access to.
True, but if practically no one's using him, it always means no one is discovering anything about the character and his meta isn't moving forward. As time goes on, people will just learn the match-up anyway and you won't be able to just exploit your character being an unknown for the most part.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Even bad players can show you or remind you of something you can add to your game. I was a top 5 brawl rob for about 4 yrs and I would still find something new or reminded of something to implement into my game.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Just think would other players like aMSa and SS do as well if their characters were popular and the average smasher has had experience against their pick often?
They most probably wouldn't, IMO. Btw, could you remind me who SS is? :confused:

Yay a social.

Hi beepos

I was wondering why there wasn't a social here. I just picked up pm back in June. I traveled for brawl playing rob for 5 yrs. I feel like I'm making decent progress, I just wish I didn't live in the Midwest. I'm traveling 4 hrs to Illinois atm for SMYM.

It doesn't seem like there's a decent amount of notable rob mains. I hope that changes and I hope I can help at some point.

Anywho, nice to meet all of you.
I was wondering the same thing.....which is why I made the social. :p Yeah, there really aren't any notable ROB mains at the moment, outside of Oracle.

True, but if practically no one's using him, it always means no one is discovering anything about the character and his meta isn't moving forward. As time goes on, people will just learn the match-up anyway and you won't be able to just exploit your character being an unknown for the most part.
Nobody is advancing Pichu's meta either...

Honestly, ROB is a pretty straightforward character. There's not really much to learn or discover outside of more gyro tricks.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
SS is the Olimar main from I think Cali (???) who can win or get very high in tourneys with pretty high level competitors. This guy seems to be leagues above other Olimars and makes the character seem a lot better than he actually is.

If you guys want a real MU thread you might want to talk about match ups and copy paste the stuff we wrote in here in there maybe we can get attention and will get updated? I don't really care but I'd just like the discussion to be in one place so its easy to find, and a R.O.B player looking for help against so and so isn't gonna look in the social thread. Maybe change the title here and make this thread for EVERRRYTHINGGGGGGG. Tbh I would perfer that but I dunno if you can edit titles.

Last edited:

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
SS is the best olimar right now, hes from AZ and is 15 lol.

Also im trying so hard to main ROB and its the craziest uphill battle but I'm learning. Everyone who successfully mains this robot has my respect.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ROB's high learning curve is severely underappreciated. Especially if you play aggressively and with the gyro a lot, it's like using a character with DJC, and then some, in terms of technical requirement.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yea the thing about R.O.B's tech that it is different from most tech you'd use with other characters. Its more brawly stuff with b-reserves and wavebounces combined to a lot of tech involving the gyro which is completely unique to him. This makes so you'll have to learn something new to become good with R.O.B.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's not just the brawl tech either, it's also all the new things that came with PM, like insta-boosting into l-canceled aerials, wavelands, or item throws etc, as well as AGTs.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
DF is right. I loved Brawl tech. I was known for it. With this game, it's mostly a diff beast. Plus b-rev stuff isn't as smooth in this game. I can't do one and buffer another and have them come out super fast. There's a small window where I can't do anything and that sucks. I wish that could be changed lol

I made it out of pools at SMYM 15. metroid couldn't believe that I just started playing in June. I took him to game 3. I hope to be at least best in my region by smash 4 wii u.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have examples of fights that R.O.B wins or is a very positive 50/50? It would be pretty useful to me to know.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
DF is right. I loved Brawl tech. I was known for it. With this game, it's mostly a diff beast. Plus b-rev stuff isn't as smooth in this game. I can't do one and buffer another and have them come out super fast. There's a small window where I can't do anything and that sucks. I wish that could be changed lol

I made it out of pools at SMYM 15. metroid couldn't believe that I just started playing in June. I took him to game 3. I hope to be at least best in my region by smash 4 wii u.
Metroid is literally impressed by everyone because he cannot bring himself to not compliment anyone
Guy is too nice, his compliments' value decrease due to inflation

Also there's no window where you can't do anything, it only feels that way because there's no buffer to time everything frame perfectly for you

Top Bottom