• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I'm a girl who wants to get competitive.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
Dear SilentDrifterZ,

Allow me to explain.

My question, "Is it harder being a female gamer because it's tough to see the controller when you look down?" was designed to mock the topic creator for asking a stupid question like "do you think girls can be as competitive" ... because the answer is obvious. Of course they can. Truly the only disadvantage I could think of for a female gamer would be if her boobs were so large she couldn't see the controller when she looked down (which, in itself, is slightly tongue-in-cheek because if she had big enough boobs, she probably wouldn't need to play games and post on gaming forums to get attention from boys).

Even THAT would only be a problem if she, like me, watched the controller while playing, not the screen, and played Smash by sense of smell.

In short, there is no *real* disadvantage whatsoever to being a girl gamer, and no reason a girl gamer should be treated any differently from a guy gamer, so this topic was clearly pointless attention-whoring.

I stated "serious question" in the same way I would state "This thread was relevant, necessary, thought-provoking, and not at all attention-whorish." Speaking plainly, so I don't lose you again, I meant the exact opposite of what I typed. It's the internet. Sometimes it throws ya for a loop, watch out.

Thank you kindly for your interest in my reply to someone else's post.

Your friend,
-GiantKiller
...lol sorry

your question at the time just kinda stuck out is all.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
HAI GUYZ LOL! I HAVE A VAG!NA SO DOES THAT MEAN I SUX AT TELEVISION GAMES? =O

I honestly don't know what pisses me off more; the fact you so openly broadcast your sex as if it is a bad thing of being, or that you honestly believe that there is a gap in skill depending on whether you have a Vag!na or not.

Seriously....this is freaking 2008; if you truly believe that just because you are a female that you have to be catered too differently, there is something wrong with you.

It is a videogame. A thing of fun. All genders are equal because it is essentially a toy we are playing with. It is not gender specific, and I am sick and tired of girls feeling they are obliged to annouce their gender just because they play video games....

Seriously.... It is just sad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Seriously....this is freaking 2008; if you truly believe that just because you are a female that you have to be catered too differently, there is something wrong with you.

There is. She's a woman.

HEYOOOOOOOO

Okay, I couldn't resist that one. In all actuality, there is a skill gap between men and women in video games merely because of the social factor. Men play more, have more friends that play, and are in more locations that allow them to play. Therefore, they are, on average, better.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
lmao i get called jealous because i find it annoying that she's blatantly insulting females? pretty sure this thread has annoyed other people, like LavisFiend. grow up

and dmbrandon, quit being useless for once :]

GuMz

Smash Apprentice
if your good then your good. sex shouldn't be an issue ;] people will respect you for yoour skills.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I actually learned a lot from this thread. I've also been wanting to get competitive. I was never much for the advanced techs, but I found myself wavedashing a lot, and using some other ones. L-Cancelling I never really got, though :laugh:

But this is a truly great time for me. Since I was never a real "tourny-style" player in Melee for the most part, this is the perfect time for me to change gears and go hardcore. I can get the advanced techs the same time everyone else does, so it's fair game.

S2

Smash Lord
Its not that girls can't be good at competitive games, its that there aren't a lot of girls who are.

I know a girl who is pretty decent at Smash. She plays at tournament level, so she's no scrub.

If you want to get good, then you basically have to go to tournaments. I guess with the advent on online in Brawl that'll change a bit, but you reach a point where the only way to improve is really to just play better players and try to learn.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Eh, why close it? Just frigin move it.

In my country theres some girls joining every tournaments. They even formed a five-man crew on a tournament in August, and there was still a girl left. Not that they do very well in tournaments, to be honest.(but theres potensial)

A girl in Finland, Samochan, does very good. She's one of the top-players in Finland.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
and dmbrandon, quit being useless for once :]
What? No... that is impossible.

As far as this thread goes... yeah, it is true if a guy posted an equivalent of this it would be immediately locked and whatnot. If I had mod powers in this section I would just lock this thread myself, seeing as how so many people are now just making silly jokes. If you are gonna crack a joke, at least make them epic like G-reg's posts XD.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Sex, gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, religion or language is irrelevant. Playing Smash (whether its casually or competitively), like other games, is ultimately about having fun. Yes, competitive Smash is fun and exciting too. What would be the point in playing a VIDEO GAME if it weren't fun to begin with.

Anyway, the fact that you are female should not discourage you from playing in a tournament. Just go in and do your best. :D

Top Bottom