• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike

GenG

Smash Lord
Ike looks a lot more fun to play than Marth, at least from first glance. Marth was so...*yawn* boring. Sword up, sword down, sword forward...you get the picture. Least creative moveset ever.
What you expect from a pure swordman? Giant beams or something?

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Link is a swordsman, and his A-moves are a lot more interesting. Seriously, just look at Marth's attack. They aren't inspired at all...He simply swings his sword (generally in an arc) in that particular direction. I'm just saying, if that's as creative as they get with swordsmen...no more, please.

But anyway, Ike looks more interesting than Marth.

Hotshot672

Smash Cadet
You know whats better what sakurai did to show him. he did that challenger approching thing, which means he went to some lenghth to get him. could more secret characters be coming?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
He's not a secret character. >:O

Anyways, Ike's fighting style from the games was always a bit unorthodox. His initial stance is very weird, and he also spins with his sword around sometimes. I haven’t seen much of him in GoD though. =[

the grim lizard

Smash Master
You don't know that for sure, Pieman. That's like saying "ICs are not returning!" We don't know because Sakurai hasn't said. :p

GenG

Smash Lord
Link is a swordsman, and his A-moves are a lot more interesting. Seriously, just look at Marth's attack. They aren't inspired at all...He simply swings his sword (generally in an arc) in that particular direction. I'm just saying, if that's as creative as they get with swordsmen...no more, please.
Marth fights like that in his games. It's a very faithful moveset. Arched swipes with different range, power and speed.

Link also does arched swipes in many directions, so I can only conclude that was a biased opinion towards Marth. Compare the two moveset and you'll see.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I think since Ike is in, Marth is out. Simply because I think it would be weird to have two blue haired swordsmen from the same game. What if they had Ike and ROY? Roy looks a lot different. Then we can keep Marth in spirit and have Ike have a new moveset. I like Roy a lot more anyway. His B attack rocks.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Marth fights like that in his games. It's a very faithful moveset. Arched swipes with different range, power and speed.

Link also does arched swipes in many directions, so I can only conclude that was a biased opinion towards Marth. Compare the two moveset and you'll see.
It wasn't biased. I've played as Marth and I've played as Link. Marth is just boring. True to his game or not, he's a boring character to play as IMO.

Link does sword plant, he does slashes and counter slashes, he has a spin attack, even when he does arch attacks he doesn't do them the exact...same...way for each move. There's a lot more variability and a lot more personality behind it. Just look at Marth's aerials, each looks (notice I say looks) exactly the same, only in a different direction.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I think since Ike is in, Marth is out. Simply because I think it would be weird to have two blue haired swordsmen from the same game. What if they had Ike and ROY? Roy looks a lot different. Then we can keep Marth in spirit and have Ike have a new moveset. I like Roy a lot more anyway. His B attack rocks.
I agree with that, but it won't be Roy, it will be the Black Knight, or maybe even Lyn...

Fawriel

Smash Master

Actually, doesn't Marth use a rapier in his games? Doesn't that mean he should be a fencer? I saw him fight in his game... it's kind of a stabby motion.

And Link is still more creative because he has arched slashes, double-slashes, triple-slashes, stabs, swordplants, and even a sex kick and double-back-kick. Not to mention the B moves.

GenG

Smash Lord
Oh well, that's your opinion. I find that Marth's ranged game makes you calculate your distances better, and you have two movesets contained in one character (sweespotted moves and normal moves) which makes him versatile, with many combo variations, and that's a lot of fun. I doubt Ike would be like that. Marth shouldn't be cut.

Fawriel said:
Actually, doesn't Marth use a rapier in his games? Doesn't that mean he should be a fencer? I saw him fight in his game... it's kind of a stabby motion.
When he gets the Falchion, he drops the stabbing and turns into a slasher.

Marth also has a combo move with at least 10 different variations, a counter, a charging move, more aerial posibilites than Link, the tippers... that's a lot of fun too.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I think that the presence of Ike means that Marth and Roy are both out, and that the Dark Knight doesn't have much of a shot either. Why? Because Fire Emblem is a game that's all about matching different weapons against each other. The whole combat system is based around swords vs. axes vs. lances (not to mention the magic!). To have three swordsmen--not only that, but three characters wielding what is essentially the exact same sword--would be a complete waste of potential.

Unfortunately, from what I've heard of Fire Emblem (I've only played the first GBA one so far, though I'll be getting Path of Radiance really soon), the lords tend to be very sword-heavy, which makes it difficult. Hector, with all his axe-wielding awesomeness, seems like he would be a good choice, and even though Lyn has a sword as well, the facts that it's so small (relatively speaking) and that she starts with it sheathed would make it easy to give her an interesting, unique moveset that mixes hand-to-hand attacks with just a few powerful sword strikes (plus she has a bow).

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Lyn would be great, as this game still needs more female characters.

But I wasn't surprised with Ike because I expected them to replace the original FE characters with newer ones.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
I find it funny that we are all here in the Ike topic (who just got confirmed) all talking about completely different characters...:p

GenG

Smash Lord
I find it funny that we are all here in the Ike topic (who just got confirmed) all talking about completely different characters...:p
You started it :dizzy: The recent lack of respect for Marth ticks me off, and I'm an avid Ike supporter.

06Falcon

Smash Journeyman
Chicago Illinois. but I like mexico better :P
Why are people assuming that any of those pictures are Ike using Aether? None of them even vaguely resemble it. When Ike uses Aether, he throws up his sword, jumps, grabs it and brings it down on his enemy's head, before slashing upwards and returning to his original place. At no time durring this attack does Ragnell glow. There is an ability flash, but that's blue. Furthermore, Aether only heals on the second hit. The first hit deals massive amounts of damage by halving the enemy's defense.
Aether should actually have quite a bit of knock back, but it should be slow.
Actually, the first hit is sol, the second luna, therefore, the first hit heals and the second pierces the armor dealing that massive damage. it can even be seen in the video at 1:08. first hit deals 9 damage, second hit deals 27 and kills him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4CsnIdq2U8

the grim lizard

Smash Master
People were talking about Marth way before I got here, dude. And my "lack of respect" isn't recent. I've disliked him for some time...I used to play him but lost interest.

Anyway, I honestly don't think Marth will leave though, because he's too important to the series. It'd be like taking Link and replacing him with WW Link.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
I Diggin Dah Sig Geng

Ike Has A Flaming Sword Attack Seen In Screen Shot 4 Check It Out!

knuttz45

Smash Ace
I dunno. That sword of his looks rather "tip heavy" if you get my meaning.
*grumbles*
oh don't gumble, some of us might have a new main. Depending on the fighting style, some people may switch mains..(or have a pretty nice secondary). :) BUT, we will have to see.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
I agree with those who say he won't be an unlockable.

It's some strange logic to post publicly a "secret" character.

If he makes it a big deal, like he obviously did, I think he will be on the character select screen when you first turn on brawl.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Ike may be confirmed, but did anyone else notice the FE symbol. It's still Marth's Falcion like it was in Melee. I think we got two characters confirmed in one update. Lol

D

Deleted member

More importantly, will Ike still keep his english voice actor from Path of Radiance?

Kakashi-dono

Smash Cadet
Rejoice brother, Ike has been confirmed!

I'm not sure, but I've heard the castle at war stage was from Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance. If so, could Ike be a possible character?
Huzzah 4 Ike! he is now confirmed in Brawl! Let characters come as they r, i say Brawl should
hav the most amount of characters than any other fighting game evr made!:cool::cool::cool:

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
I agree with those who say he won't be an unlockable.

It's some strange logic to post publicly a "secret" character.

If he makes it a big deal, like he obviously did, I think he will be on the character select screen when you first turn on brawl.
Actually, I don't think that's necessarily true. Several characters from the original Smash Bros. still had to be unlocked in Melee, and honestly, what was the point in that? There's no way for us to know how many of these characters, new and old, are going to be available for selection right out of the box until we actually get the game or an update telling us.

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
You guys, Ike's a real character!

www.smashbros.com
The debate is over, Ike prevails over Lyn, Ephriam and Hector! But is Ike the only Fire Emblem rep, or will he join his brothers Marth and Roy. Is the powerful, firey red head cut or had the super sonic swordsman been cut? Or is this a shameless plug for Fire Emblem on the Wii? Only December 3rd will tell.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Huzzah 4 Ike! he is now confirmed in Brawl! Let characters come as they r, i say Brawl should
hav the most amount of characters than any other fighting game evr made!:cool::cool::cool:
so basically, they're going to have to top dragon ball Z budokai tenkaichi 3's 150 character roster. I highly doubt thats ever going to happen. :laugh:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
wow, this extremely random revealing defies all logic to me. @.@ My remaining logic involving Dojo is that Sakurai will always be one step ahead of us. I feel mindgamed

nuro

Smash Lord
Here is an idea. Ike's Final Smash Attack wont be Aether because Sakurai wouldn't mention the Final Smash Attack of a character in their character bio, instead he would make a whole new update.

Ike's Final Smash will most likely be him transforming into a Lord. In the pictures he is still a mercenary and I couldn't imagine anything more suitable than to make him into a lot with buffed up stats. But being a Lord would mean he would have to stay a Lord for the rest of the game so I am not too sure if I would allow a character to be buffed up for ever unless he isn't that much better.

And does anyone else think that his hits are not causing any stun time in the pictures shown? We can see the slash but not the enemy's hit animation.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
I was beginning to wonder when we would ever have a new character shown on the site. I never did expected Ike. I remember standing up two hours past the usual update time, still seeing Pitfall listed, and was like screw it and went to bed. I was expecting something like some random stage, item, music, or Metaknight, but I didn't expect a newcomer.

It seems like we be kinda left in the dark about most of Ike's move set. We could always get a special moves and final smash update.

How does Ike being confirmed in anyway led Marth to being unconfirmed? Really, is there any solid proof that isn't "we don't need two blue haired sword using lords", which isn't actual proof at all?

GenG

Smash Lord
Tomorrow may be Ike's special moves (Aether among them) or his Final Smash (which I can't imagine right now). But something related to Ike. I think they can pull off the Castle stage since it could be related to Marth and semi-confirm him after today's fear of removal.

Marth could still being a secret character, it has sense: The recent representative people wanted as a starter to promote him and the powerful veteran from a Japan-only game as a secret one.

cubican62

Smash Cadet
And does anyone else think that his hits are not causing any stun time in the pictures shown? We can see the slash but not the enemy's hit animation.
If this is true, they have probably made ike either faster than marth, or stronger than roy.

well...thats what i think

Top Bottom