• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
That is a good question. I did say earlier I probably wouldn't enter a tournament anytime soon, but going to one wouldn't be completely out of the question. Can't say anything definite about that right now.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Somewhat recent vids vs Mr.R:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSnJ5kuPauM&list=UU_xDlXj5XdRDtzYaLioFYJQ&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwXpuKhwy0&list=PLzXYYDSjkSwFUBbEHmbPGbJiHYkfwtPWS&index=31

On another note, I'm starting to doubt Delphino as a CP vs Marth. It's not horrible or anything, but when you're at the edge on the flying part, there's no way you're getting back up. Admittedly you just have to wait it out, but it's not a comfortable position. It also hinders the SideB recovery.
Dunno, maybe I just feel more confortable on BF/DF.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I agree Blubo. I don't like Delphino as a counterpick as much as most other ike's. The big problem with the neutral platform is the fact that you can't ledgehop nair/AD onto it. Which leaves us really low for options.
But yknow. The UK people havent yet figured out to ban BF vs. ike yet. clever people >.>

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
In my opinion Battlefield is Ike's best stage. Smashville is alright and I guess FD is okay too, but Battlefield just seems perfect to me. A Quickdraw recovery is possible to 5 different platforms (2 sides, one top, two stage ledges) and sharking with Uair and Nair is just too fun against shields. And when someone tries to FF to airdodge through the top platform, a drop-through Uair is tragically gorgeous.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
That's not how you spell Pirate Ship.

But yeah, out of the stages picked out of a hat legal stages, BF is probably his best. I'd put Delfino as a contender for second best among SV and FD considering some characters are much stronger than Ike on those stages.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I agree with Pirate Ship. The height of the ledge compared to the ceiling makes it an easy Star KO above 80% on medium-weighted characters. It's even easier when the ship is in the typhoon. But what about Norfair? It was the stage I played on often with Ike before learning it was banned in tournaments (don't know why I didn't see that coming).

What's the social's opinion on Norfair?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Battlefield is Ike's best legal stage. It's not even a question really.

Delphino is obviously his best counterpick stage. But I think every has their own personal favourite. Mine is Castle Seige, What about you guys?

And Norfair is a great stage for showing people that you know one really obscure, useless trick with Ike...not much else

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I personally loathe Castle Siege, for some reason I just cannot perform on it to the best of my abilities. Same with Pokemon Stadium 1, but that's because I haven't played it in a while.

Battlefield is definitely my favorite stage. Sharking with Uair and Nair is fun, you can watch you opponent squirm in their seats as they try to avoid it.

slydunan

Smash Rookie
Question about ike's jab combos:

I know with jab cancelling into another jab, it's A>A>down>A>A

But I've read someplaces where if you don't want to do another jab and go straight into a grab, you don't press down and just do the move. Is this true?
When I try pressing grab or any other attack after starting my jab combo it just does the next one.

So should I just be waiting a bit before inputting any attack or cancelling with crouch first then doing another attack?

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
You want to press grab immediately after the jab is over. You don't want to press grab in the same window as a jab cancel: that's too early. For example, jab 1 can be interrupted by frame 17, so you don't want to press the grab button before then, or you'll buffer/perform the next jab.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, Although it's a bit dependent on the situation. If they're far away when you jab them, the grab won't reach so some people dashgrab in those sorts of situations and others just do a jab combo instead

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You have to press down to buffer a crouch. if you try to buffer a grab without crouching, you will just do the next jab input because buffering a grab will buffer an attack and shield input.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
A string I found effective if used sparingly is jab1-->Utilt-->Bait to grab or pivot grab. That way you get the feel of Utilt, in my opinion a vital move, the 4% with jab1, and with the pummel and throw, you're looking at a good 20-30% in 3 moves, as the specific percentage damage of a fresh Utilt escapes me.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Personally I'm using Dthrow>bair these days, I never really thought about using it, it's pretty good against floaties at low %, and fast fallers around 6%. You can punish the possible airdodge really easily.

Also, I've been toying with jab1>footstool and nair>footstool. I tried to get aerial footstools so that I could lock with a fast-fall Fair after that. Sad part is, jab1 doesn't work (maybe against lucario or something ?) and Nair does 9%, so Fair doesn't lock anymore. Obviously the whole footstool idea also doesn't work if the opponent is mashing an aerial.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I like the Dthrow>Bair option, problem is getting it right at mid percents. It's possible even at higher percents, baiting the airdodge perfectly. For me, Dthrow>Uair works better because the hitbox is out longer than Bair and it covers across Ike's entire body, horizontally speaking. I'm an amateur though, if not semi-pro, so what works for me might not work for top pros.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey Ike boards, who do you think has the best Ike game in the world right now? I know a lot of Ike mains haven't been active and I know the boards are frankly pretty dead, but of the mains you know who are active, who do you think has the best overall Ike?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Personally I'm using Dthrow>bair these days, I never really thought about using it, it's pretty good against floaties at low %, and fast fallers around 6%. You can punish the possible airdodge really easily.

Also, I've been toying with jab1>footstool and nair>footstool. I tried to get aerial footstools so that I could lock with a fast-fall Fair after that. Sad part is, jab1 doesn't work (maybe against lucario or something ?) and Nair does 9%, so Fair doesn't lock anymore. Obviously the whole footstool idea also doesn't work if the opponent is mashing an aerial.
how...european of you to look into stuff like this XD
yeah, sadly Ike really doesn't have anything in the way of footstool tricks. Worth a try for mindgames though.
I like Mixing up between grabs and Usmash in follow-ups. It's really really easy to confirm the Air/Spotdodge and Usmash it. I tried stealing some of your things Blubo, Bthrows at just above/below the DashAttack percent. Short hopping over them and just regrabbing. It really gets in their head.
Hey Ike boards, who do you think has the best Ike game in the world right now? I know a lot of Ike mains haven't been active and I know the boards are frankly pretty dead, but of the mains you know who are active, who do you think has the best overall Ike?
It's Difficult to tell. San is inactive these days, But I would say Ryo is the best from what we can tell (plus it helps that he's my bro). but I honestly think blubo is pretty close by to him, But we don't get to see Blubo or Ryo enter the same tournament. We never know how they stack up with eachother

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
It's Difficult to tell. San is inactive these days, But I would say Ryo is the best from what we can tell (plus it helps that he's my bro). but I honestly think blubo is pretty close by to him, But we don't get to see Blubo or Ryo enter the same tournament. We never know how they stack up with eachother
I thought you'd say that. I lasted only 1:05 against Ryo when I played him at one of the tournaments, thank God it was a friendly. I've wanted to play him again since I've improved since then, so maybe I'll last longer.

I actually want to see an Ike take a big tournament, there are no incredibly active (and successful) Ike mains in America. Not to bash the boards, honest to God, but it just seems to me that Ike as a character in general is in a slump.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Ryo does really good in his region, and from what I know it's a really good region, so he's the one you should look out for. But taking a big tournament with Ike means beating top players (doable) of top tier characters (doable) like MKs (honestly ? undoable).

@G-P yeah I love this mix-up, plus at one point they start rolling toward the point where you initally threw them, so you can punish with a fair/dashgrab. I actually stole this from Ryo myself, in his set/match vs Brood iirc.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I don't think the MK MU is unwinnable, I mean its not like I've never gone against MK before and gotten my ass handed to me. It's a hard match, but patience brings me through that MU every time. You can't exactly rush in and attack MK all that much, he's got a fast moveset. Playing defensively, at least for me, works against Metaknight.

It's so hard to 3 stock MK, particularly if its a good one, but again to me its not unwinnable. (No MU is unwinnable) It's just hard as heck to pull off but its totally doable. Just takes a strong control of pace of the match and a defensive strategy to punish hard and fast.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
3 stocks aren't easy in general... it has to be a lopsided MU or a massive difference in skill... There is always the massive read and/or SDs though

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I thought you'd say that. I lasted only 1:05 against Ryo when I played him at one of the tournaments, thank God it was a friendly. I've wanted to play him again since I've improved since then, so maybe I'll last longer.

I actually want to see an Ike take a big tournament, there are no incredibly active (and successful) Ike mains in America. Not to bash the boards, honest to God, but it just seems to me that Ike as a character in general is in a slump.
I can't remember how it was when we played. I'm fairly sure it was largely just 1-stock deals. But we're both at a stage where we know everything we do with eachothers characters. According to Ryo and Gúf I'm godly at spacing fair. Who knew...
Also, Ike is unlikely to take a big tournament. his matchup vs. MK is really bad after all

G-P yeah I love this mix-up, plus at one point they start rolling toward the point where you initally threw them, so you can punish with a fair/dashgrab. I actually stole this from Ryo myself, in his set/match vs Brood iirc.
Yeah. I'm starting to get the hang of conditioning people when playing. Whenever I do that thing though, I just feel so cool. And then I remember that I've only dealt like 8% with that hard read

I don't think the MK MU is unwinnable, I mean its not like I've never gone against MK before and gotten my *** handed to me. It's a hard match, but patience brings me through that MU every time. You can't exactly rush in and attack MK all that much, he's got a fast moveset. Playing defensively, at least for me, works against Metaknight.
It's not unwinnable. But it's very very hard, and then you gotta remember most MK's don't even know the matchup vs. Ike ANYWAY. they don't really need to

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
The one thing I'd love to do before I retire from playing Smash, as the day will come eventually (but not for 5-10 years), is to win a big tournament with an international scene. I'd even go so far as to say that if I were to ever win Apex with Ike, I would retire on the spot.

Spotty, far off dreams, yeah, but hey, I can dream about those days.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Those days would most likely never come, given Brawl is coming to it's end of life cycle I suppose. What with Smash 4 coming down the pipeline, alot of people would gladly ditch this beta of a game for it in a heartbreat...............or just stick to melee. Also saying something along the lines of 'but not until 5-10 years down the road' already dooms ye to never being first at all. Hell look at the JPN-IC/Oli player from a few years back. Literally wrecked M2K's **** iirc and he was playing for how long?

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
A lot of people are going to leave Brawl, and I'll be the only one left playing it, probably. I don't have the cash or interest in buying Smash 4 as of current. I'm content with Brawl, its a good game to me even if it isn't a good game to other players.

The Japanese player was also playing two top tier characters, and we're rocking the mid-tier god known as Ike. I'm not saying that its impossible for people to beat top tier characters run by top tier players, as you can tell by Apex 2010 with san finishing 9th. If the level of skill drops in Brawl as Smash 4 comes out, hell, I'll just sweep any Brawl tournament I can find with Ike if I have to. So long as I'm playing, that's what matters to me.

Top Bottom