• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I guess there's just something about religion that I find abstract, most likely because I haven't done my research on them all, but alas. There's just something about scientific theories and the similar that I find more credible, and I'm able to put them together with more damning evidence, at least, apparently. There are many points of Science that raise inquiry and question for clarification, but from what I've seen, those are rather facile to answer, especially while equivocating, which I haven't heard of in many religions.
What I'm trying to say is, Science manages to produce cogent, reasonable theories and speculations to many aspects of life, biology, and the relevant. I'm not contemptuous toward religion, it's just that I can't contemplate without feeling ambivalent. It wouldn't be eccentric to have good thoughts toward your afterlife, but there's always possibility that it isn't real.

My resource teacher also stated, verbatim:
I'd rather believe and it be fake, than not believe and have it be real.

This made me ponder more in depth, and I've good reason to not jump to a hasty conclusion of repudiation. The message he was attempting to convey was just... obscure to me, but it made partial sense, simultaneously. I wouldn't rush to say I'm parsimonious (but I can be pretty unyielding when it comes to religion), but I'm still highly dubious.

>Opinions for the day
:pinkiepie:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Science changes though..

Just recently a nuetrion was calculated to travel faster than light, so now Light isn't the fastest thing in the universe now...

with all the formulas that rely on the speed of light, I wonder whats gonna happen in physics now.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Everything changes (at some point, at least). If it doesn't change, it's insignificant due to being monotonous.

If nothing changed, history would be a pretty dull, and probably nonexistent (in a perspective), concept.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Religion isn't supposed to change. If you changed something about it, then its not the same religion anymore. (This is how sects started)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yes

There was one male being I ever used

That said, I started watching the anime Utawaretumono

Inb4boredsaysmyaviisloliincestfurry

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It isn't supposed to, but it's still prone to change. It probably hasn't been altered recently, or within several centuries, but as relics are preserved, and possibly passed down as folklore or texts, the original message becomes obscure, mainly because it's interpreted differently. This has been prevalent throughout history, regardless of religion.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The Qur'an is still in its original text from the 1400 years its existed.

Interpretation is different, but that is because people change. The text is the same however.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I see what you mean, and The Qur'an seemed like a blatant exception, to me, at least. I heard of it in Literature last year, lol.

The text doesn't change, but the message it conveys is practically abstract by mere interpretation. Thanks, Ussi.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well, to be fair, there are some obscure phrases in the Qur'an that you can't say for sure what God means from them.

here is part of one line from the Quran about polygamy:

"You may marry 2, 3 or 4 women if you choose, but if you cannot treat them all fairly and equally, then only marry one." (4:3)

Do you think polygamy is allowed or not from that?

EDIT: I realized the equally part came from a different verse in the same sura (4:129) is the part on treating wives equally otherwise you should not marry more than 1.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'd rather refrain from playing semantics with religion (or its text, even), if it isn't too much to ask.

Does seem pretty atypical, isn't that a rough translation?
Sorry, mobile text limit is poooop.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
That's a rough translation from myself... if you want to read a more refined translation i can provide a link

But yea, that's the kind of things you can find in the Qur'an which keeps it open to how its interpreted.

I'm not trying to dive into a deep discussion about text but.. I'm just trying to give some substance in my statements so they are taken with more than a grain of salt. There is a big grey line there, because is it possible to love 2,3, or 4 wives without any favoritism?

At the same time, this grey line is amazing if you think about it. It basically a text that can adapt to cultural changes.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If you're impassive or callous, I see it very possible to remain candid while married to several women. Love is where my thoughts on that come to profound obscurity, and I find the idea rather asinine. Probably because this is metempirical, but I'd feel it ominous to speak of more on that topic, haha.
Edit: Metempirical to me, at least.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ussi, that's why there are scholars to interpret the passages and dive into the history of why these pieces of text are there. I do remember reading a piece about how the Prophet (pbuh) did have a favorite wife as it's something a human cannot be neutral about. I guess it simply comes out to materialistic things and also providing the same amount of attention time wise.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I know, but I was clarifying the ambiguity of that text by saying scholars go on a deeper level by researching the historical context of it. derp.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Classes empty here? No way lol. At least not for Engineering.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
None of my friends did the purchase upon release thing, they aren't all that committed. I'm expecting to get MW3 around December, as I haven't really made use of my Xbox 360 at all. I was notified of the many absent/tardy people in my classes. Number wasn't supernumerary, but it wasn't negligible. I almost found myself staying home today, though, on a call of tiredness, gah. Was so sleepy this morning.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Science changes though..

Just recently a nuetrion was calculated to travel faster than light, so now Light isn't the fastest thing in the universe now...

with all the formulas that rely on the speed of light, I wonder whats gonna happen in physics now.

Well, to be fair, there are some obscure phrases in the Qur'an that you can't say for sure what God means from them.

here is part of one line from the Quran about polygamy:

"You may marry 2, 3 or 4 women if you choose, but if you cannot treat them all fairly and equally, then only marry one." (4:3)

Do you think polygamy is allowed or not from that?

EDIT: I realized the equally part came from a different verse in the same sura (4:129) is the part on treating wives equally otherwise you should not marry more than 1.
well, for polygamy i dont really see a problem with it seeing as its how nature workds ANYWAY, women strive for the seed of the best available partner, men strive to spread their seed everywhere...in terms of instinct at least

mum always said she would be content being part of polygamy, due to the fact in means housework, cooking, etc. gets split between a few people rather than just one

Anyone's classrooms empty?

i wish i was still in a classroom

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol I can't believe this game has an average score of 9's across the board. I know it's wrong to hate on a game for making slight tweaks and improvements, but this series has been doing it for over 5 games now. It's practically Madden now.

At least it seems a lot of buyers seem to be disappointed...shame they already fed their money to Activision.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Lol I can't believe this game has an average score of 9's across the board. I know it's wrong to hate on a game for making slight tweaks and improvements, but this series has been doing it for over 5 games now. It's practically Madden now.

At least it seems a lot of buyers seem to be disappointed...shame they already fed their money to Activision.
see this is why i have rich friends, they buy the same games i want to buy, i try it out at their house, buy if i like, not if i dont
flawless system. been doing it ever since i bought sonic '06 and realise it was the biggest turdpile ever

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i will never buy a game outright unless its cheap or I have a reason too (like a new golden sun, despite it being bad in the end :\)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i will never buy a game outright unless its cheap or I have a reason too (like a new golden sun, despite it being bad in the end :\)
well yeah, in the past...5 years? the only game i bought before pre-playing was pokemon white. which was ALWAYS gonna be a good buy

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I would disagree with that. Good buy if you're a Pokemon fanboy, but realistically speaking, that game doesn't deserve the praise it has.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You should only buy pokemon if you are just into competitive pokemon...

Or just a pokefanboy with the poke-minigames.. otherwise why? The gameplay is too easy...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not even that, it's the same rehashed stuff + new pokemon over and over again. From my understanding, they actually added a "story" to white and black, but I haven't played that to confirm it. If that's not true, then they, like CoD are just taking advantage of their fans.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I consider pokemon to be a competitive game

and in the competitive sense its been progressing a lot thought gen 5 didn't really have that much of a change considering the last 4 gens:

1st gen: start
2nd gen: 2 new types
3rd gen: abilities + EVs
4th gen: Physical + special spilt
5th gen: ... permanent weather inducers + dream world abilities

Top Bottom