• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I see you, Chris.

San, I don't understand why you release the control stick.
Only reason you could walk instead of dash is by mistiming the initial input. Holding the control stick won't change anything.
I specifically DON'T release so I don't stop the dash by accident.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
flick = dash/smash input on control stick

It's only the c stick that can't be in a direction otherwise you get a jab/dtilt/whatever

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
But if you flick and don't hold the control stick, and then you flick the Cstick, Ike will do an empty dash with no action responding to the Cstick.

If you just initiate the dash by tapping the control stick at the same time you would flick it... but hold it down instead... you can't mess up unless your timing is off... which is the actual cause of the outcome you guys are describing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
@San, so at no point, I'm never holding down the Control Stick to initiate my dash? It's just a flick, followed by a flick on the c-stick?

@PantyRaider08, dude Joel, I was in bed by 2 am. Iono how you saw me online. Lay off the beer.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Holding the control stick is probably where events don't proceed as intended. When you hold the control stick, you tend to buffer a walk instead of a dash.
This makes no sense. Only reason you would walk instead of dashing is a) You buffered too soon or b) You are so weak that you can't move the control stick fast enough for a dash input.
Both ways, it has nothing to do with holding the control stick.

When the kick hits the opponent, input the dash on the control stick as fast as you can, and release.
Slightly after moving your control stick to dash, you have to move the cstick in any direction quickly, then release. Same as the control stick.

The result is essentially tapping on the control stick and the cstick at relatively the same time(cstick slightly afterwards). When you see the kick hit and then let go of the controller, you see the dash attack come out a little while later.
Okay, it works, but if you are ONE frame later on the Cstick than you are on releasing the control stick, you miss out on damage. It's insurance.

This does a few things:

1. If you mess up, you're more likely to do nothing at all (If you dtilt, it's the way you tapped the sticks)
This would happen the same way if you held the control stick and messed up. Absolutely no difference aside from the fact that you may take a walking step first.

2. It's easier to understand the buffering window if you're not holding any inputs. For me, the cue was the kick. It can be something else for you.
The timing is all the same, so you learn the buffering window all the same. I really begin to think you and I are not talking about the same thing.

3. More precision since the movements can be replicated fairly easily.
More control my way, MUCH easier to replicate with the same result. Promise.

4. **You're SURE it's buffered. You know it will hit and if it doesn't then it was not possible to hit them.
Again, this is true for tapping and holding.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Are you sure about that?
not sure if trolling...
americas are continents, USA is a country :L

Okay... I mentioned Japan because they are the only other country with a prominent baseball league.
Europe didn't have baseball until 1950s.

What else do you want? I just answered your question 100% truthfully and you're talking like it's not a valid answer.

Let me say it again.

NOBODY ELSE HAD BASEBALL WHEN THE WORLD SERIES WAS STARTED AND NAMED
yeah i get you and took it as a valid answer, i jsut find it odd that it was named the world series when only one country played it when it was named. seems mighty vain :L

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
not sure if trolling...
americas are continents, USA is a country :L
North America
South America

Not just America

yeah i get you and took it as a valid answer, i jsut find it odd that it was named the world series when only one team played it when it was named. seems mighty vain :L
No... there have always been two teams playing in the WS. I can't imagine one team playing itself for the title. That would be rather silly, don't you think?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
North America
South America

Not just America

No... there have always been two teams playing in the WS. I can't imagine one team playing itself for the title. That would be rather silly, don't you think?
i wrote americas, i can only assume i missed the S first time around. everyone i know IRL always referrs to that area of the world as the americas, so yeah :L

and i realise i mistake :B i mean one country

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
USA took the meaning American for itself, leaving the rest of North and south America to feel spiteful to not be Americans despite being from N/S America

Heartstring

Smash Legend
man this makes as much sense as wimmin XD

ah well, i realise i havent played smash for about a week, groundbreaking XD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well how about something productive:

How do you approach on lylat when the stage is tilted which you on the upper slant and the opponent on the lower slant? (and your opponent is Snake)

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I don't. If I absolutely must, I'll try to FFAD behind him and pivot jab or grab if a grenade just got dropped. I hate trying to approach Snake, so I usually let him come to me.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
in that scenario i would even try. if theres a grande he doesnt cook then ill lob it back. but otherwise ill just stall the transformation

oh yeah, due to new apex circumstances for me, if there is a pair of people that want to share a hotel room with two others then please PM me. i think uk is hard flaking this :L

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Either read a grenade pull and dash attack him (this requires a read, because on reaction, you won't be punishing any grenade pulls)... or just wait it out.

I don't like Lylat, and that's one reason why. I hate the stage tilt and how it interacts with our ability to approach. Other reason is how the stage tilt interacts with our recovery, plus the lip of the stage in general.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea.. anything I tried i ended up eating damage >_>; (was friendlies so I was playing aggro)

I did fine when it was flat or when I was on the lower slant, but when he was on the lower slant with the tilt amplifying it was really.. dumb. I don't think its good approaching anyone whose on a lower slant :S

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick question, but out of curiosity how many people here have advice on being a TO? I have a good venue in mind, (pretty sure it would be at least), and have the idea of having any entry fee money beyond venue costs go to the prize pool, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Like, I'm broke so I can't afford to run the tournament if venue fees don't cover the place, how big a ratio of pre register people would you expect to actually show up, etc.

Mozz

Smash Apprentice
Already know that kind of data, I've been to all the major brawl tournaments in my immediate area minus one, (or at least the ones advertised here). The issue is that I believe that that kind of data is slightly flawed. The major tournament here, (hope) has had a fairly large out of town component as a % of total show ups, (around 25% of people I think) and as this would be my first event as TO, I anticipate the out of town component of my tournament being smaller. On the other hand, I have a feeling that I'd be able to attract a better local contingent than some other tournaments because I live right by two high schools and a middle school and believe I'll be able to advertise my event at those places. My question is how reliable do you think pre reg numbers are, and also at what point do you think it would be smart to cancel if interest is small and you can't cover costs. I'm not looking to profit off this, but I really just can't afford a loss at my current financial state.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Just a quick question, but out of curiosity how many people here have advice on being a TO? I have a good venue in mind, (pretty sure it would be at least), and have the idea of having any entry fee money beyond venue costs go to the prize pool, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Like, I'm broke so I can't afford to run the tournament if venue fees don't cover the place, how big a ratio of pre register people would you expect to actually show up, etc.
oh laws, i can pass on 1st tiem exp!

okay. first off: never expect everyone who confirms to actually come, i had like 50 people confirm for sure that they were coming and only had about 25 actually come. it was really, really gay.
be sure to advertise it everywhere, i mean everywhere, at the next event near you hand out fliers to people and stuff like that. not everyone comes on smashboards so its unreliable to use only this at a method of advertisement
...im actually kinda out of tips. it depends entirely on what your local scene is like i guess

just go by the fact that pre-reg numbers are really unreliable. however because youre in a busy accessible area, it wont be such a problem for you

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
When were you planning to hold it? If it was going to be after hope, maybe you could raise some interest there. Also, the hope series gets some OOS attendance since it's during the summer/winter breaks. If you're having one during school time, that's obviously gonna hurt your turnout in terms of OOS. As for pre-reg, I wouldn't count on so many people doing that for something less than a regional run by a widely known TO. Since you're still new to the system, I'd try holding some small events without a venue that you have to pay for, and save up for a larger, regional-sized tourney.

If you still do pre-reg and find too little interest, cancel at least a week before IMO especially if there is any OOS interest. People like to change plans at the last minute all the time, but that shouldn't carry over to the TO's planning. The earlier, the better.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Far as hosting the tourny itself. If you're some shy, introvert, or quiet person...get someone to call out matches. You have to enforce ****, otherwise people are gonna be there past closing time and the tourny is gonna have to finish at someone's house.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Far as hosting the tourny itself. If you're some shy, introvert, or quiet person...get someone to call out matches. You have to enforce ****, otherwise people are gonna be there past closing time and the tourny is gonna have to finish at someone's house.
this, so this

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i thought it would e a major in old man monologue-ing and a minor in syrup production
am i following the stereotype hard enough?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Went to a tourney this week-end, got 13th out of 36. I used Pit in like 2 matches and falco against MK (2 matches also). I had to play Leon yet AGAIN x_x I think I'll stick to ike against him, I didn't do so bad this time.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@B-Swordman yeah a really good marth user.
I also lost to a player named Anoer, MK/marth. I lost to his MK then cp'd delphino (mk was banned on cps) and lost with ike against his marth. I probably could have taken it at least to game three, but I didn't make it so yeah.
I beat a ZSS player and a ICs player. The ics set should be uploaded on youtube so we can all laugh at how I messed up a nice time-out (not used to it x) )

in other news, I'm practically sure to go to apex, yay!

Top Bottom