• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Taco Bell has... bad tacos. Lol. If you're going to Taco Bell, get that Beefy 5-Layer Burrito. That's the item that makes that place worth it.
QFT. Only thing I ever get from that place. Also it's one of the cheapest items on the menu. A mall I go to every now and then has a Taco Bell, so that becomes my lunch/dinner whenever I go there.

On a side note: for those non-attack stick users, I have found it very possible to do a pretty good SH retreating Nair. I have default controls, so X/Y are still jump. I simply hit Y, then A with a time window about as tight as for a DACUS I believe. After that move the stick in any direction, such as away fro a retreating Nair. I have yet to use it in useful situations, but I've performed it several times to confirm its possibility.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
The only problem for me is that I like to use Nair close to the ground while moving backwards, so I land before the hitbox swings around underneath Ike. Doing it that way followed by Jabs is a great defensive maneuver. Still, if you prefer smash stick I guess you've got to be able to do it somehow. I still think attack stick is the way to go for any Ike main; the only real benefit of smash stick is SDI and if you're not Mr. Doom that doesn't count for much anyways.

:248:

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Is momentum canceling better with the smash stick on or is it the same?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It's not really better, just arguably easier for vertical momentum canceling. With smash stick you can just hit the c-stick down to input a Dair and a fast-fall simultaneously, so your control stick is completely free for DI. With attack stick you can use any aerial as long as you also hit the control stick down to input the fast-fall; this means you have to momentarily not have the control stick pointed left or right, sacrificing a little bit of DI, but it's not too significant considering the most important time to DI is immediately after being hit.

Horizontal momentum canceling is the same for both, just air dodge and double jump.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I thought it was proven that air dodging does nothing to momentum cancel and you needed to DI towards the stage and do a quick aerial?

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Wasn't optimum DI tilting the control stick perpendicular to the direction you're flying? But yeah, what Nys said about fast falling hurting momentum canceling is true. But with what San noticed about little to no change to momentum canceling with Ike's aerials, I don't think it should be much of a problem.

@Nys: I'll try looking into seeing if I can fast fall the short hop with a non-attack stick retreating Nair. I should be able to after the Jets-Steelers game is done. Everyone else is watching, but I'm not caring too much. >_>

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ike's fastest aerial: 55 frames
Ike's AD: 39 + 10 frames that attacks are allowed to bypass = 49 frames
AD is faster to momentum cancel.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Well shave my beard and call me Kay, I've been doing it wrong for quite some time now.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Still no critique D:
And about the yoshi:ike mu, I think it's even, if not slightly in Ike's favor. (I'm saying this here since.. well..)
And again about yoshi, I was really unhappy to discover that he can escape bthrow>dash attack with his bulls*!t SA frames. But if the yoshi knows about it you can get some even better punishes :D

~Just finished the Fate route in FS/N. Spoiler just in case. vvv
I had watched the anime so I knew what was coming, but still. This end is both incredibly sad and incredibly right. It's the second game (and film, book or any work of fiction actually) to have managed to make me cry...
I really look forward to UBW, I think it'll be my favorite route~

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Bthrow->DA seems to be near frame perfect (only a few frames leeway) until after 60%. It should work on Yoshi.

I beat Ghost Trick for the DS (made by Phoenix Wright people) the other day. It was great.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's really good. It uses a few PW storytelling techniques, but it's a fresh and new experience.

The pre-rendered sprites give the game a unique look, and a LOT of suspense, etc is shown through the animations of characters and objects.

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Still no critique D:
And about the yoshi:ike mu, I think it's even, if not slightly in Ike's favor. (I'm saying this here since.. well..)
And again about yoshi, I was really unhappy to discover that he can escape bthrow>dash attack with his bulls*!t SA frames. But if the yoshi knows about it you can get some even better punishes :D

~Just finished the Fate route in FS/N. Spoiler just in case. vvv
I had watched the anime so I knew what was coming, but still. This end is both incredibly sad and incredibly right. It's the second game (and film, book or any work of fiction actually) to have managed to make me cry...
I really look forward to UBW, I think it'll be my favorite route~
Wait till you reach the Heavens Feel arc. Oh how I felt certain emotions I haven't felt in ages upon getting to the end

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Hype that it's going to be good or hype that it's going to be Duke ****ing Nukem Forever!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Can eruption be used in any mu? If so which and what situation.
Against Squirtle and Luigi, while they're recovering. You can mix it up a bit if you're very good at timing the Super Armor frames, but using Eruption against an on-stage opponent is almost always just a bad idea; only use it as an edge guarding move and only against an opponent who is low off-stage with a recovery that can't snap to the ledge.

In other words, make sure your opponent has no choice but to jump right into it; otherwise it's just not safe.

Oh, and of course unleash the Flashing Eruption if you get a shield break obviously.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Anyone up for some Ike dittos?

By the way, I found that a fresh Bair (so like in the beginning of a stock) is a better move to use against Wario with grab release than Utilt. Racks up more damage.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
By the way, I found that a fresh Bair (so like in the beginning of a stock) is a better move to use against Wario with grab release than Utilt. Racks up more damage.
Sure, but it should depend on your move set decay. I hit more with Bair than I do with Utilt, so Utilt is usually less stale, so I normally use Utilt to rack damage from Wario on grabs. I hit more with Bair in the rest of the match. For kills, depending of course on my stage positioning, I'll use an angled Ftilt for the kill.

Never get into thinking that one thing is "always" better.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Sure, but it should depend on your move set decay. I hit more with Bair than I do with Utilt, so Utilt is usually less stale, so I normally use Utilt to rack damage from Wario on grabs. I hit more with Bair in the rest of the match. For kills, depending of course on my stage positioning, I'll use an angled Ftilt for the kill.

Never get into thinking that one thing is "always" better.
I agree. That's why the word "always" did not go into my post. I hit more with Bair too, but let's say the Wario was at high damage and you're coming in from a death with fresh moves. Bair can likely have the better kill potential depending on the stage.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
It takes 1-2 seconds to break out of shield stun at 0% (when its most)
That statement didn't make much sense, lol. But I think I see what you're getting at. They can't start to break out until the dizzyness animation actually starts though right? So the time when they pop up into the air immediately after the break is free time to start charging Eruption.

As long as they're around or above 50% damage when the break happens and you can start charging the Eruption right away, you will charge it to Flashing in time and it will KO them unless they're DK on Japes. But when does Ike get shield breaks anyways?

Top Bottom