• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
I'm very serious in everything that I do.

Playing Rune Factory 3 for DS. It's pretty fun once you get far enough into the game to solve your money issues and build up a good partner.

So many games I'm getting hyped up for that I need to play. DKCR, Sonic Colors (wii), Golden Sun, 999 (DS adventure game hype!) and that's only for the next 2 or so weeks when I'm in thanksgiving break. There are probably more I forget too.

Need anything else be said?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Both Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright are too popular overseas to stay in Japan. Who told you that Niddo? 3DS probably isn't coming out until the end of winter to spring.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It comes out in Japan at the end of February. As far as that cross over game goes...yea I'm sure it'll be ported sooner than later. 3DS has a lot of good games going for it. It's just unfortunate I don't want to spend all that money.

Niddo, there have been so many games where there has been no chance of a port, but out of no where, surprise butt sex happens and it's in the US.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Many companies have stated similar things before, like they have yet to announce blah blah or they haven't planned w/e to release in a certain region/on a specific system.

Layton sells pretty well in the US and amazing in Europe (or at least UK the only place where videogame sales matter there). Phoenix Wright has a cult following.

Almost sure it's coming stateside sooner or later. If not, better believe an english patch/fan translation will come anyways.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
lol Pokemon B/W despite coming out in English, still has a fan port cause people just didn't want to wait to play a new competitive generation.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Many companies have stated similar things before, like they have yet to announce blah blah or they haven't planned w/e to release in a certain region/on a specific system.

Layton sells pretty well in the US and amazing in Europe (or at least UK the only place where videogame sales matter there). Phoenix Wright has a cult following.

Almost sure it's coming stateside sooner or later. If not, better believe an english patch/fan translation will come anyways.
If they're anything like Bamco (extreme case at this point, but still), I wouldn't be so optimistic...

(Side note: I'm heading back home tomorrow, so I'd like the chance to play some of you guys over thanksgiving break, especially since the next bi-weekly is the same day I come back to college =/)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol Pokemon B/W despite coming out in English, still has a fan port cause people just didn't want to wait to play a new competitive generation.
i've played it, small tip, get the floating candle/oil lamp/chandelier thing when you find it, its insanely strong.

also both games sell tons oer here, at the very least they will do a fan port, which i wont hesitate to download

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I played and beat pokemon BW all in japanese. I had to use a guide once though due to having to backtrack 1 or 2 times in the story. Probably not going to get the english version.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Same reason PAKIstan is censored. Derogatory term used to refer to said residances to the country by others (whites)

Pokemon is not hard LOL, single pokemon run is too easy.

San what you SHOULD do is pokemon hard mode. You must use multiple pokemon, only can catch first non-repeat caught pokemon in each area, and no items. And the most important rule... Pokemon who faint must be released! (to signify they died in battle)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Same reason PAKIstan is censored. Derogatory term used to refer to said residances to the country by others (whites)

Pokemon is not hard LOL, single pokemon run is too easy.

San what you SHOULD do is pokemon hard mode. You must use multiple pokemon, only can catch first non-repeat caught pokemon in each area, and no items. And the most important rule... Pokemon who faint must be released! (to signify they died in battle)
nuzlocke, they became easier when poison stopped making them faint

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Never played a Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright game, but the crossover game seems interesting. However, I think you should only learn basic Japanese or something a bit more intermediate, but not necessarily the whole language if you're just going to learn it for the sole purpose of playing a single game. To me that sounds worse than learning Japanese because you like anime and manga. The popularity of both series should be able to get this released overseas. Either wait for that or an English patch. I mean, who doesn't want to make money off of that?

This reminded me of the time I went to RIT this past weekend. They said for Game Design and Development, most students wanted to learn Japanese. Gee, I wonder why? :p

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Played a lot of competitive Gen5 on Pokemon Online, maxed out at like 3rd best or something.

It's okay, I guess. Nothing super special.

Also Layton v Wright is definitely coming over. The only way it wouldn't come over is if people decided they no longer need money to be happy and didn't bother to localize it. Of course that'll never happen!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can tell what's going on in anime and manga without reading a word, usually.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
y'now, I'm thinking if MK cannot be banned, then one of his moves in a match should be banned; like he can use either shuttle loop or tornado in a match but not both.

like the saying going: a thief is a thief bacause he steals. remove stealing and thief is nomore.
Wut u guys think about this? fair?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Speaking of Pokemon, my friend who does the 0% FE runs also did a 0 EXP speed run for Pokemon White (in Japanese). Basically, your Pokemon don't gain experience when you kill anything, so you can only gain more powerful Pokemon by using Rare Candies or catching more powerful ones. If you're interested, his channel is here. Note that he hasn't completed it though; he's on the Elite Four right now.

•Col•

Smash Champion
y'now, I'm thinking if MK cannot be banned, then one of his moves in a match should be banned; like he can use either shuttle loop or tornado in a match but not both.

like the saying going: a thief is a thief bacause he steals. remove stealing and thief is nomore.
Wut u guys think about this? fair?
Back when all the MK debates were going on... It was pretty much agreed upon by both sides that if a rule had to be made specifically to limit Metaknight, then that proves he is bad enough to be completely banned.

So, no. Never gonna happen.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
uhh, but specific limits has been put on MK right? like he can't edge grab more than 40 times and do infinite dimension cape. But he is still allowed in tourneys. How did these rules come about and still didn't ban MK?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
people seems to forget that meta knight is in fact beatable, he has flaws, but they jut get covered very well by all of his plus points
try grab release for example, ike can DA him from it can he not?
it gets better for others, sheik deals 30% damage to him from grab release via instant dacus

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yes, but a dash attack guaranteed doesn't change the match-up, lol. Hell, most of the time we also have a guaranteed Bthrow to dash attack, which we also have on... EVERYONE. And that's more than just a DA. I use the grab release when there isn't room to Bthrow or when he's out of the proper % for it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
dash attack only changes a select few MUs where it leads to an easy gimp (Link and Ganon) or good gimp potential (Olimar)

Otherwise its just good damage and a chance to edgeguard (lol right)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think throw dash attack is pretty good. It changed our mediocre grab (low damage, read dependent without favorable frame advantage) to becoming a viable option in most MUs at reasonable %s.

We NEEDED a viable grab option bad because of our amazing up close game. I wouldn't say it's as useful for gimping, but more like putting us in a good setup to land a kill move or lay on more damage. For us, that 16-18% damage adds up very quickly, into kill %s.

Its not as good on characters we can't grab easily, but jab->grab is a pretty common occurrence.

Let's also not forget that at high %s when they're in tumble animation, they either need to DI up and then an input, or tech, much harder to do against bthrow. Fthrowing someone at high %s onto a platform is lulz.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Only grab release Meta Knight if you grab him on the Smashville platform when it's moving in the same direction that you (Ike, not MK) are facing. In that scenario, you can air release -> Ftilt -> Down Taunt him.

Anyway Ike's Back Throw (and it's DA combo) changes Ike's grab game from a mediocre option (he has a very low damage output on throws without combos) to a very swift 20% (jab->pummel->bthrow->da) that results in the opponent being offstage. It still doesn't compare to, say, stuff like D3 / ICs / Pika / Falco but in its own right it's definitely a solid grab game.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Only grab release Meta Knight if you grab him on the Smashville platform when it's moving in the same direction that you (Ike, not MK) are facing. In that scenario, you can air release -> Ftilt -> Down Taunt him.
I use Side Taunt.
Does Ftilt have to be angled up? I've been practicing minor stuff like platform canceling so it should be easy to set-up.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I use Side Taunt.
Does Ftilt have to be angled up? I've been practicing minor stuff like platform canceling so it should be easy to set-up.
I've never had my normal Ftilt escaped in that scenario but I guess it can't hurt to angle it upward just in case you start it a bit late and he jumps.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
as miniscule as that is, its still a guaranteed kill of sv (providing we can actually grab him in the right scenario at least) still, the moar you know

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I've been meaning to ask about these occasional grab releases on sv.
Wario you have, say, turn around Utilt.

But do we have other grab releases on other characters (squirtle, idk..)?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You can chain grab Squirtle across FD followed by a walk off Fair(Dair too?) with air releases.
Kirk made a thread a really long time ago about Ike's grab release stuff.

Top Bottom