• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you had to remove 20 characters from Ultimate, who would they be?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Its been ages since I last posted in this thread, from even before the game came out.

1-6: :ultzss::ultdoc::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultsheik::ultpichu:- Gonna start with the redundant characters who have more notable counterparts.
7-11: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarkpit::ultlucas: - Inconsequential Echos (or semi-clone in Lucas's case).
12-13: :ultmarth::ultroy: - I'm biased as hell for the Awakening lords in comparison to Marth and especially Roy. Also Chrom being more masculine than the typical Smash RPG boy and Lucina being female adds a bit more visual variety when paired with the likes of Link, Shulk, Cloud, and Hero.
14-16::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter: - Miis suck. I know they deserve a spot but god are they boring.
17-19: :ultpiranha::ultcorrin::ultlucario: - Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokémon have a lot of characters and can stand to lose another. Plant awesome but he's a generic mook, I like Ike, Chrom, and Lucina way too much to cut them over Corrin even if he's more unique than them & Lucario's just the most boring of all the remaining Pokes.
20: :ulticeclimbers: - I was this close to putting Joker on here but in the end I still have some respect for the Persona brand despite my immeasurable salt over Atlus not porting 5 to the Switch.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
At first I thought the ability to remove Echoes made this a bit too easy, and that I'd find a painless (for me) way to pick 20 without including any. But that proved too difficult.

Here are my easy picks, I have little to no problem deleting these 13 non-Echos:

:ultcorrin: :ultroy: :ultfalco: :ultwolf: :ultincineroar: :ultjigglypuff: :ultgreninja: :ultlucas: :ultbayonetta: :ultpiranha:
:ulticeclimbers: :ultduckhunt: :ultgnw:
(Falco, Wolf, and Lucas are different enough from the characters they are derived from I think)

After that, I'm finding it a little hard to delete non-Echo/clone characters. So the great Clone Culling must commence:

:ultken: :ultdarksamus: :ultdoc: :ultchrom: :ultdarkpit: :ultlucina: :ultsimon: (I prefer Richter)

D

Deleted member

If i were to remove 20 characters, i have to take away:

1. Dr. Mario (Can just be turned into a Mario Outfit)
2. Pichu (He is just uninteresting)
3. Jigglypuff (Just a Kirby Clone)
4. Mii Fighters (I think the Miis should be redesigned and revamped)
5. Zero Suit Samus (Just fuse Samus In again with this like in Brawl)
6. Lucina
7. Chrom
8. Corrin
9. Ike
10. Dark Pit (Can just be Pit in his Alt color for what i care)
11. Dark Samus
12. Ken (I have no interest in ken, just in Smash Ultimate is enough)
13. Richter (I prefer Simon best)
14. Duck Hunt Duo (Too Annoying! Banjo Kazooie are their perfect replacement in the Next Smash game)
15. R.O.B. (It's time for the Robot to finally leave)
16. Ice Climbers (They don't have a sequel as of now)
17. Mr. Game & Watch (We need a batch of different Retro reps)
18. Sheik (Fuse her in with Zelda like Brawl)
19. Wii Fit Trainer (Wii U is Defunct, so there is no point)
20. Piranha Plant (Look, i don't care about Piranha Plant, and i consider him as a Placeholder for one of my preferred fighters in the roster, and No, Piranha Plant doesn't replace Waluigi! I consider him a Placeholder for a Female fighter from Nintendo and it's NOT from the Mario Franchise or the Zelda Franchise or the Fire Emblem Franchise!)

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I should specify I do not have any spite for these characters or people who like these characters. I'm just following the prompt and giving my reasoning.

:ultdarksamus: - Not a Metroid expert, but I know her abilities from the Prime games barely resemble Samus's. No differences from Samus, and would rather have her be a unique character, be to Samus as Falco is to Fox, or get cut and return to being an alt costume.
:ultfalcon: - I'm sorry, F-Zero fans. I'd hesitate if we had new F-Zero content added to Smash after Brawl that wasn't a song, spirit, or trophy, but even in Smash, F-Zero has gone incredibly stagnant. Ganon, while no longer even a semi-clone tbh, kinda fills Falcon's niche fighting style with a heavyweight spin imo. RIP Falcon Punch memes.
:ultjigglypuff: - An oddball choice that's stuck around since 64, added to fill the roster during time crunch and copying off of Kirby. With how many Pokemon reps we have, Jigglypuff can afford to go.
:ultdaisy: - Daisy is the better princess, but I'd cut her for similar reasons to Dark Samus.
:ultsheik: - An artifact of Melee and Zelda's character overall, at one point she'd outgrown Zelda before the tables turned. I'd say it's about time to retire Sheik from the cast.
:ultdoc: - Would say he works best as an Alt at this point. And hey, Mario's last two alts are of Odyssey costumes, so replacing another one of Mario's alts with Doc would fit that perfectly.
:ultpichu: - Pichu is, unfortunately, a good example of how to make a proper clone/echo of a character, but is burdened by being in a series with lots of reps that aren't clones. So yeah, axe Pichu.
:ultlucina: - In a similar boat to Pichu, is a decent echo and plays differently from her origin character, but FE has a lot of fat that needs trimmed and Roy is the better Marth clone imo. Would put Lucina as an alt to Marth, similar to other characters with a male/female rotation of alts.
:ultchrom: - An echo of an echo (Roy's not labeled as an echo but that term is used incredibly weirdly), with Lucina's anti-tipper and Ike's up special at an attempt to differentiate him from Roy. Chrom is like a Frankenstein's Monster of FE characters.
:ultzss: - I have nothing against ZSS, it's just the Metroid series deserves more representation instead of Samus herself twice (thrice if you count Dark Samus, mentioned above) and Ridley.
:ultlucario: - A kinda interesting character with a comeback mechanic that's not entirely reliable, already putting him on the edge. Then we look at the Pokemon series with rep spots to spare, and Lucario gets cut.
:ulttoonlink: - I didn't cut Young Link since he plays significantly different from normal Link and his moveset feels like natural weapons of choice for him. Young Link is diet pre-Ultimate Link and doesn't represent any of his games well, so I'm deeming him the weakest link of the Zelda rep chain.
:ultlittlemac: - I'm a fan of the Punch Out!! series and really hope we get another rep one day... because the one we got right now is, arguably, broken. Not in the good way. Deserving of a redesign or replacement rep, although that's sorta hard, given he's the main character of the series...
:ultbowserjr: - Don't feel his moveset represents himself or his Koopaling alts that well. The character feels more like the Clown Car than Bowser Jr/The Koopalings. If cut then brought back, I would hope he gets a massive redesign.
:ultduckhunt: - I avoided most retro characters because they have their iconicness, but not only is Duck Hunt the least iconic in Smash (in Smash itself, I mean. Outside he's definitely more iconic that Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. but), but is one of the actively most hated characters who isn't some form of clone or a high tier, from the people I've talked to at least. Not too many would be torn up to see the duo leave, I believe.
:ultrichter: - An echo with little difference, see my reasoning for Dark Samus above. Although tbh, with how many people play Richter over Simon, you could probably cut Simon and keep Richter for similar results from the fanbase.
:ultpiranha: - The ultimate meme character, but yeah, Piranha Plant's a no-brainer for cuts. Don't expect to see them after Ultimate tbh, this game will be their time in the limelight.
:ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner: - Ultimate counts them as three characters, so I'm doing the same. They're a gimmick character, it's fun to meme with some friends and play as Thanos or Garfield or something, but the characters themselves are underwhelming, mostly have diet versions of other character's moves, and just aren't fun to play honestly. And while relevance isn't everything, even the Mii feature itself is becoming sloooowly phased out, Miis are hidden in a menu on the Switch instead of having a dedicated Mii app like the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS.

CaptainLoveline

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaptainLoveline
Switch FC
SW 3974 6696 5289
The guests have gotta go (except Banjo):ultryu:/:ultken:, :ultsnake:, :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:, :ultbayonetta:, :ultsonic:, :ultjoker:, :ulthero:, :ultpacman:, :ultcloud:, :ultmegaman:.

Then a few echos (make 'em alt costumes or something): :ultlucina:,:ultdarkpit:, :ultchrom:, :ultdaisy:.

Then retire these: :ultyounglink:, :ultsheik:, :ultdoc:, :ultlucario:, :ultbowserjr:, :ultlittlemac:.

(I did hit reply before i properly finished by accident btw, so whoops I guess)

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
1, 2, and 3 go to Mii fighters as I'd rather have a much more advanced custom character creation tool available in game
4. Dark Pit
5. Duck Hunt
6. Bowser Jr
7. Daisy
8. Lucina
9. Roy
10. Chrom
11. Toon Link
12. Jigglypuff
13. Lucario
14. Greninja
15. Dr Mario
16. Falco
17. Young Link
18. Ike
19. Richter
20. Captain falcon

That was easier than I thought it'd be. Heck I'd sacrifice 30 more just to keep Dark Samus, Ness, and Lucas or get Geno. I'd maybe sacrifice like 10 for Rayman. Let em all burn

Otoad64

Smash Lord
:ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultcorrinf:
the FE slaughter, 3 is a good amount
:ultdoc::ultdarkpit:
why are these not costumes but alph is?
:ulttoonlink:
we don't need 3 links and young link would be easier to declone
:ultzss::ultsheik:
both have contrived movesets and have outlived their purpose as transformations
:ultincineroar:
plain uneccecary, don't need 2 fully evolved fire pokes
:ultrosalina:
overrated and got in before more important mario chars like toad and waluigi
:ultjoker::ulthero:
don't care for persona or dq, don't hate though
:ultduckhunt::ultrob:
i like that these guys are here but we have to make some sacrifices
:ultken::ultrichter:
don't hate but has unoriginal moveset
:ultlucas:
release mother 3 you cowards!
:ultpalutena:
kid icarus is dead

Cut 20 characters.png

the roster now looks like this. only clones I kept are :ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink: because they could be easily decloned and :ultpichu: because I like joke characters

toonito

Smash Ace
:ultbowserjr:(swap for Toad):ultike::ultjigglypuff:(swap for Meowth):ultness::ultlucas::ultpichu::ultchrom::ultken::ultrichter::ultpiranha:(swap for Waluigi):ultroy::ulticeclimbers:(swap for another NES retro rep):ultminmin:ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer:(swap for Ring Fit)
:ultdoc::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus: (alts for the original characters)

D

Deleted member

Someone's going to be angry no matter what, but I'd remove basically all the echoes since their designs can just be folded in to their counterpart like Alph & Olimar or the Koopalings (Yes I know there are subtle differences in the Echoes separating them from their counterparts, but honestly thats easy enough to program in to their pallate swaps as shown with Advent Children Cloud having a different Final Smash than regular Cloud)

1) Pichu
2) Dr. Mario
3) Richter
4) Daisy
5) Dark Samus
6) Young Link
7) Lucas
8) Duckhunt Dog
9) Ken
10) Lucina
11) Roy
12) Dark Pitt
13) Falco
14) Villager (just keep Isabelle and make half her alts Villager)
15) Ice Climbers
16) Sheik
17) Jigglypuff (I know your classic, but sorry...bye Jiggly)
18) Lucario or Greninja; depends on Coin Toss
19) Rosalina & Luma
20) Little Mac (good character, but I needed a 20th choice; sorry mac!)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I couldn't think of 20, so...
  1. Jigglypuff (replace with :052: in 64 onwards)
  2. Dr. Mario (replace with Ayumi Tachibana in Melee and Ultimate)
  3. Pichu (replace with :212: in Melee and Ultimate (maybe Smash 4 as well))
  4. Greninja (replae with Snivy in Smash 4 and Ultimate)
  5. Corrin (replace with :azura: in Smash 4 and Ultimate)
  6. Chrom (replace with Alm)
  7. Isabelle (replace her with Shadow or Alph; just not a fan, sorry)
  8. Incineroar (replace with Mimikyu)
  9. Byleth (replace with Edelgard)
  10. Steve (replace with Sora or Crash)
Honorable mentions (or as I call it, the Echo-into-Semi-Clone list)
  • Dark Samus (giver her her moves as an Assist Trophy)
  • Daisy (give her Flower Bomber)
  • Lucina (give her Marth's Custom specials)
  • Dark Pit (give him the Amplifying Orbitars)
  • Richter (make his Holy Water work how it does in Rondo of Blood and change his Final Smash to Hydrostorm)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
:ultbowserjr:,:ultlarry:,:ultroy2:,:ultwendy:,:ultiggy:,:ultmorton:,:ultlemmy:,:ultludwig:,:ultbyleth:,:ultbylethf:,:ultdaisy:,:ultdarksamus:,:ultsimon:,:ultfalco:,Alex, Enderman, Zombie, (the other character alts for Hero that wasn't the protagonist from Eleven, because I'm playing Eleven and he's pretty okay).

Remember: Think smarter, not harder.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
While in an ideal situation there would be no cuts, these would be my choices (Dr. Mario, the child links, pichu, and echoes are discounted due to taking less time and resources) in a rough order. If these clones were included, the only ones that I’d prioritize keeping are a child Link (either works, and if it’s Young Link, just make Ganon his Wind Waker version then) and Chrom since the former accounts for different Link reincarnations, and the latter was requested and a protagonist for his series.
:ultzss:: I prefer her over Power Suit Samus, but her inclusion was mostly for the tranformation gimmick that was gone the game after in addition to being a quota filler (Metroid character when Ridley didn’t work/sole female addition since Dixie didn’t work and there was not enough time for Krystal).
:ultcorrin:: I like his/her moveset, but (s)he is a controversial character in his/her series.
:ultincineroar:: Another ad pick that didn’t age as well as it could’ve.
:ultlucas:: Mother is a minor series, and Mother 3 wasn’t localized.
:ultpalutena:: KI is a minor series.
:ultpiranha:: A clever addition, but I’m sure people would prefer the other unique Mario fighters over it.
:ultjoker:: Fun choice, but one of the more expendable third parties.
:ultwolf:: Star Fox has been declining, and I‘d tend to prioritize the deuteragonist over a rival (I’m keeping Bowser, Ganon, Ridley, and K. Rool, so there’s villains).
:ultbanjokazooie:: While he was requested, he doesn’t feel important enough to keep for me.
:ultsephiroth:: Cool addition, but I think we can lose the additional FF character.
:ultwiifittrainer:: Since 20 characters are getting cut, it’d probably include some retros, and I’m sure Captain Falcon (F-Zero is retro today imo), Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, and Duck Hunt would take priority since the first three are more or less SSB staples, and the latter is probably the most well known retro. Ness and Ice Climbers could’ve been removed since Mother and Ice Climber are really minor, but they’re my favorites to play as, so I wouldn’t cut them.
:ultroy:: I like Binding Blade, but Ike is more popular, I like Robin and Byleth’s movesets more, and Marth would take priority as the SSB representative of FE.

:ultsnake:: I‘d prioritize him over the previously mentioned third parties, but copyright seems like a pain.
(:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:): If I think that Konami is problematic for Snake, it’s only fair to also remove the Belmonts.
:ultrob:: Like WFT, I’m sure a few retros will be cut.
:ultpyra:: They’re fun fighters, but I’d choose Pokemon Trainer as my transformation fighter.
:ult_terry:: Terry is a cool addition, but the third parties that I’m keeping are more important.
:ultlittlemac:: Another retro fighter cut, and I think Duck Hunt and Game & Watch are more interesting than Little Mac.

:ultminmin: It seems that ARMS will be short lived despite its initial success.

Jigglypuff: I like Jigglypuff, and it helps that it has a really unique moveset that can be made quickly, but if we ignored time constraints, it would be pretty low in priority since it‘s only a moderately popular pokemon, and it has been low priority in the other entries. While that is being said, Captain Falcon, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch, and Pit stayed for their presence in SSB, so it feels fair that Jigglypuff can stay.
Ice Climbers: They’re my mains (it’s completely biased).
Sheik: I might have some Melee bias here, but I mainly kept her since OoT is I think the second most influential LoZ game, and people complain that LoZ has too few unique fighters, so I’d rather just keep Sheik at this point (Tbh, if SSB was made from scratch, I could still see myself prioritizing her over Skull Kid, Midna, and Impa since OoT is more memorable than MM and TP, and Impa feels like the Anna of LoZ where she is recurring, but not necessarily a main player in an entry.)
Falco: Some people prefer to keep Wolf, but I tend to favor deuteragonists, and there is some Melee bias since tbh, Star Fox could get away with only one fighter at this point.
Pokemon Trainer: I‘d assume that there is a general agreement that Charizard will probably stay, but I think the trainer should stay since they’re the player character of Pokemon.
Robin and Byleth: I like their movesets, and they are playable in important entries to FE. Tbh, one of these could be cut. If I could only keep one, I’d say Robin takes priority since the weapon durability mechanic is more interesting than the weapon triangle, even if that means that Awakening gets 3 fighters.
Cloud: Another biased pick since I like FF.
Sora: Disney copyright is probably a nightmare, but I’m being biased again.
Characters I’m keeping in terms of rough priority (this list changes constantly after Pac-Man is in)

:ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultike::ultluigi::ultsamus::ultfox::ultsonic::ultness::ultmiifighters::ultjigglypuff::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultshulk::ultpeach::ultpit::ultgreninja::ultzelda::ulticeclimbers::ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultpokemontrainer::ultmegaman::ultganondorf::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultsteve::ultbayonetta::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkrool::ultridley::ultryu::ultkazuya::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultbyleth::ultduckhunt::ultsora::ulthero2::ultsheik::ultmarth::ultfalco:

If clones are cut, then I’d cut Dr. Mario, Young Link, Lucina, and Dark Pit for Min Min, Little Mac, and Pyra/Mythra.
If the roster was cut in half, everyone after Pac-Man is cut, and Dr. Mario, Daisy, Toon Link, Dark Samus, Pichu, and Chrom stay.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
:ultdoc::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultpichu::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ulttoonlink: :ultroy: I'd cut as individual characters and have them as skins for the others (I'm aware Pichu and Lucas would have some bigger changes, but they still make sense.)
:ultcorrin:Corrin.
:ultwiifittrainer::ultfalco::ultlittlemac::ultsheik::ultrob: Due to them being less notable in recent years.
:ultpiranha: Great Meme Pick for Ultimate, but he's easy fat to Trim for a Sequel.
:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter: Easy Cuts if they don't want to put in the extra effort.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would want "Everyone Is Here!" forever since I really don't want any character to get removed. But if it really came down to it, I would remove:

:ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultpiranha::ultchrom::ultrichter::ultgreninja::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultyounglink::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultisabelle::ult_terry:

While Dr. Mario is one of my mains, I wouldn't care less if he got cut since he would have been better as a alt for Mario in the first place. It was real hard for me to put certain characters on this list like Greninja, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Terry, but there are other characters in the roster I would prefer to stay over them. It was a tight and hard decision, but yeah.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Like others have said, wouldn’t want to actually cut anyone, but what the hell, I’ll take a whack at it.

Retain as alt::ultdoc::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter:

Remove::ultbyleth::ultcorrin::ulthero::ultisabelle::ultjoker::ultlucas::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultchrom::ult_terry::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzss:

Last edited:
Top Bottom