• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If this thread gets over 100,000 replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nux23

Smash Ace
t, too bad they were shot

T or f: metallica's reputation will get better in the simpsons episode

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would be happy to start but I'm not going to say anything until EVERYONE has agreed to go along with it. Unless everyone claims the whoel thing is pointless, because we wont be able to draw connections and all we would be doing is giving teh mafia a better idea of who has what roles.

And as I've said (and a few others), we should go in an order that was not determined by any of the players, and both the order on page on and alphabetical order fit that description.

nux23

Smash Ace
that's not cool because you probably got banned for it

I'm cool because I listen to metallica

Lance87

Smash Lord
Memphis/Millington --- Runaway 7 till I die.
Seems like only yesterday...

kirbyphreak said:
8 explorers enter. 1 explorer leaves. In the ancient tomb of Anubis, these 8 will find much more than they bargained for. "The door locked behind us!", ThatGuy exclaimed. "No way!", said Lance87. You all push, but the way you came in is stuck. Suddenly, a voice booms out. "Welcome. You will be trapped here, unless you play the game. "What is the game?' asked Bahamut. "It is a death game. You will all play, until only one of you survives. Go through this door to reach the first game. "Alright", says shboke, "if only one will survive, Im making sure its me!", and reaces through the door. As the rest of you follow, you see 8 platforms over a huge thingy of molten lava! "Each of you must step on a platform." says the voice. "just make sure to choose correctly..." You all must choose one, with a number 1-8. Only 1 person may occupy each platfrom. Yes, I know, its kinda unimaginative, but I promise the next ones will be better.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
So let's see the opinions thus far relating to mass name claim.

In Favor:
thedocsalive
frozenflame751
camo-man
DiamondFalcon
Marshigio
commonyoshi

Opposed:
agentli
ZMan

Haven't stated opinion/don't have a clear view:
tails3535
Bahamut
Kujirudo
GotMink
SideEffect001

That's what I have so far. If someone is placed in the wrong group, let me know. I think those in the third group need to state their opinion one way or the other, and say why.

agentli said:
The bad part about this is that, if the mafia get through alive, then we get no where. Worst case, the townie power players are revealed and well, then we're...******. I mean there's a lot of risk and at the most we may just bag one mafia member. That is the one objection I have, and seeing how everyone's opinion is, they are either afriad to speak up so they wouldn't be targeted as mafia, or they just don't care.
As I said, the mafia may very well be able to fake role names and blend in for now. However, there's also the chance of them lying and getting caught in a lie, or telling the truth and being connected. Even if the former happens, and we don't gain much information, what do we lose? As I said before, I don't think names will directly correlate to power roles in this game, which makes the name claim possible.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Whatever. unvote agentli

I hate not voting against someone because I feel like I wasted a turn. Someone give me permission to vote against them. :chuckle:

agentli

Smash Apprentice
Ok. I'll set out some scenarios and we'll see how we like them.

Situation A

Best Case Scenario. The names of all the restaurants show no correlation to their roles, and we catch one or two mafia plaing dumb. Good, town gets an early lead to balance out the night. Night 1 we lose 3-4 town members based on frequency of kills of the independents and the accuracy of the vig kill. Then we have about 9 members left,
1 independant, 2-3 mafia, and 6-7 town. Cop and Doc alive and well. :chuckle:

Situation B

Worst Case Scenario. The names of all the restaurants happen to show correlation to their roles, pointing out the town power players to the mafia. Zero to one mafia members get caught. The independents slip by unscathed. We lynch the one mafia member, night comes around. The SK kills a cop, and the mafia kills the doc, or vice versa. The vig kills the one mafia member, or accidnetally kills a townie. Day 2 comes around and we see a clearing of the dust, a mass name claim early in the game results in 3-4 deaths at the end of Night 1. 9 members left. 1 independent, 1-2 mafia (godfather dies with the cop), and 6 townies left. Town power players are gone, 1 mafia player left, and the independents are alive and well. :cry:

Situation C

One Likely Scenario
. The names of the restaurants show no correlation, except the power players. The names of the power player's restaurants are special and fake to distinguish a difference from the rest of the other restaurants. The name revealing, early in the game, slowly proceeds as people start coming back and posting. Slowly we see a few crises brew, as the some town power players get caught, and 1-2 mafia ones get caught. We lynch a mafia member. Oh noes! he's the godfather! He can't be lynched! The mafia loses a lynch for that day. Night 1 rolls around, and storm clouds gather. The townies worriedly look upwards, as the mall lights flicker. In the confusion, Independents kill 1 townie, mafia kills 1 townie, vig kills a townie (on accident). The Cop is safe, but the Doc dies. Day 2 comes and we see 10 players left. 1 independent, 3-4 mafia, and 5-6 townies left. The mass name claim leaves one more mafia member in the open, and ****s the mafia. The Cop gives an investigation during the night and comes up empty. The Cop sacrifices himself (or herself) to save the Town and kill the godfather. Town lynches a mafia member. Night rolls around. Independent kill 1, mafia kills 1 vig kills 1 townie. Day 3 rolls around we see 1-2 mafia, 1 independent,
1-2 townies. :confused:

camo-man

Smash Cadet
Where the hell is Side?! Take your vote off me! Or else.....

Vote: SideEffect001

until you take your vote off me, so I won't be the possibly only one with a vote.

agentli

Smash Apprentice
thedocsalive said:
As I said, the mafia may very well be able to fake role names and blend in for now. However, there's also the chance of them lying and getting caught in a lie, or telling the truth and being connected. Even if the former happens, and we don't gain much information, what do we lose? As I said before, I don't think names will directly correlate to power roles in this game, which makes the name claim possible.
I don't want to misquote you but, you can't have it both ways. If there is a correlation between roles and restaurant names, then we will catch some mafia, but we will also catch some town power players. Both Town and Mafia will claim to have the same roles. Both town power players and regualr town will claim the same roles. AFTER they get caught by us. In that confusion, you know that we'll be absolutely no where, while giving the mafia some info. You also know that there is a risk in the situation that we'll have some idiots bandwagoning on some guy who turns out actually to be the Cop or the Doc. I just feel there is way too much of a risk IF there is a correlation of town and mafia power players to their specialized restaurant names.

That only happens if the specialized roles are matched with specialized restaurant names. If there is no specialization, then we have nothing to gain, and nothing to fear. We will probably just lynch someone, and that person will probably be town. Night comes around with 3-4 dead townies at the beginning of day 2. Woot. You know that we're just begging to have that situation.

agentli

Smash Apprentice
So, in conclusion, a mass name claim this early in the game will basically hurt the town and help the mafia/independent forces. We may bag one or two mafia, but that will be at the cost of half a dozen townies. In that case it's a lose-lose situation for both the town and mafia, and it'll be a grind to the end finish seeing who wins, the town or the mafia or the SK.

G

GotMink

IDK, plan seems as if it relies on luck too much. good luck=catch mafia, bad luck = lose important town roles, likely = generate discusion << good

gigayoshi

Smash Journeyman
Luigi won!​

His extreme speed won again! By the way everyone, please post who you think will win the SUPER TOURNEMENT within the next TWO rounds. If you do not you will be unable to get the big prize, so guess now! Oh yeah, whoever posts the current scores gets 2 points now!

Next match:

Luigi
vs.
Yoshi​

Luigi shouldn't have gotten near Yoshi's nest...

P.S. What does FFA mean? And Pikachuz get +2 points for being a great participant!

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
agentli said:
Situation A

Best Case Scenario. The names of all the restaurants show no correlation to their roles, and we catch one or two mafia plaing dumb. Good, town gets an early lead to balance out the night. Night 1 we lose 3-4 town members based on frequency of kills of the independents and the accuracy of the vig kill. Then we have about 9 members left,
1 independant, 2-3 mafia, and 6-7 town. Cop and Doc alive and well. :chuckle:
Um, there is very little chance of 3-4 deaths in a thirteen player game, IMO. AT MOST, there would be a mafia kill, a SK kill, and a vig kill. While the first two are quite probable, I doubt that a vig would kill night one unless he's really sure of himself. And even the first two aren't guarantees, considering the possibility of doc protection, roleblocks, and the like. My best guess for the setup, based solely on size, is that there are three mafia and a SK. So, if this scenario happens (mafia lynched, two pro-town players nightkilled), you'd have 10 players left with 2 mafia and a serial killer. Certainly not bad for a day two.

agentli said:
Situation B

Worst Case Scenario. The names of all the restaurants happen to show correlation to their roles, pointing out the town power players to the mafia. Zero to one mafia members get caught. The independents slip by unscathed. We lynch the one mafia member, night comes around. The SK kills a cop, and the mafia kills the doc, or vice versa. The vig kills the one mafia member, or accidnetally kills a townie. Day 2 comes around and we see a clearing of the dust, a mass name claim early in the game results in 3-4 deaths at the end of Night 1. 9 members left. 1 independent, 1-2 mafia (godfather dies with the cop), and 6 townies left. Town power players are gone, 1 mafia player left, and the independents are alive and well. :cry:
IMO, the worst scenario is that we don't get any mafia, and power roles are outed. Let's say a pro-town player is lynched, and the doctor and another player is nightkilled. That would leave ten, but with three mafia and a serial killer. Yes, it's rough, but certainly doable. I don't think a scenario like this is very likely to happen, anyway. Also, the godfather dying with the cop doesn't happy every game. In fact, I think it's not likely to happen in such a small setup.

agentli said:
Situation C

One Likely Scenario. The names of the restaurants show no correlation, except the power players. The names of the power player's restaurants are special and fake to distinguish a difference from the rest of the other restaurants. The name revealing, early in the game, slowly proceeds as people start coming back and posting. Slowly we see a few crises brew, as the some town power players get caught, and 1-2 mafia ones get caught. We lynch a mafia member. Oh noes! he's the godfather! He can't be lynched! The mafia loses a lynch for that day. Night 1 rolls around, and storm clouds gather. The townies worriedly look upwards, as the mall lights flicker. In the confusion, Independents kill 1 townie, mafia kills 1 townie, vig kills a townie (on accident). The Cop is safe, but the Doc dies. Day 2 comes and we see 10 players left. 1 independent, 3-4 mafia, and 5-6 townies left. The mass name claim leaves one more mafia member in the open, and ****s the mafia. The Cop gives an investigation during the night and comes up empty. The Cop sacrifices himself (or herself) to save the Town and kill the godfather. Town lynches a mafia member. Night rolls around. Independent kill 1, mafia kills 1 vig kills 1 townie. Day 3 rolls around we see 1-2 mafia, 1 independent,
1-2 townies. :confused:
I still don't understand why you think it's likely that power roles will be outed by this and not mafia members. Besides that, the rest of this makes no sense either. An unlynchable godfather? Even if that role WAS true, the fact that we get enough votes to lynch someone and they don't die would draw some suspicion and discussion the next day. Assuming a vig kill night one is also unlikely, unless the vig is either sure of himself or very ballsy. Again, the correlation between the godfather and cop is not true for every game, and very unlikely in this one.

agentli said:
I don't want to misquote you but, you can't have it both ways. If there is a correlation between roles and restaurant names, then we will catch some mafia, but we will also catch some town power players. Both Town and Mafia will claim to have the same roles. Both town power players and regualr town will claim the same roles. AFTER they get caught by us. In that confusion, you know that we'll be absolutely no where, while giving the mafia some info. You also know that there is a risk in the situation that we'll have some idiots bandwagoning on some guy who turns out actually to be the Cop or the Doc. I just feel there is way too much of a risk IF there is a correlation of town and mafia power players to their specialized restaurant names.
You're not misquoting me when you're directly quoting me. ;) Anyway, you have a point with that. When I say that I think a name claim could help point to mafia but not to power roles, I think that because of the fact that they're a group while the power roles are independent of each other. The mafia group most likely has some connections in their restaurant names, as they are related to each other. The power roles do not have to be clearly related, as they act independently of each other despite sharing the same win condition.

I don't see what you mean by the bolded section of the quote. If town and mafia claim to have the same restaurant names, then someone's lying, and we're that much closer to lynching mafia. As for randomly bandwagoning power roles, that's bound to happen in most mafia games. The odds of this happening aren't really affected by a mass name claim, IMO.

So in conclusion, this argument breaks down to our disagreement of how likely it is that a mass name claim will reveal pro-town power roles versus how likely it is that a mass name claim will reveal mafia members. Not much I can do to change your opinion.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well doc did a nice job covering all of that. Saves me a lot of time and effort. One thing I'd liek to add; as far as the whole counter claiming situation goes, so what if we have to sacrifice one townie to get a mafia member? If we could sacrifice any town member to kill one mafia member, the town would win the game. When someone claims and someone else counter claims, the town is at a huge advantage. Even if the town is wrong and ends up lynching the townie, the mafia claimer is almost guaranteed to be eleiminated in some way. So yeah, there is absolutely nothing wrong with creating situations that might cause claims and counter claims, seeing as how those heavily favor the town.

agentli

Smash Apprentice
Ok, let me try and explain my argument in simpler terms....

The thing is, if you have a distinct specialized restaurant name for each power role, (which is what we are going for) I mean to say that it's not all roses. If that happens, we are sure to reveal both town and mafia power roles. When that happens, then what? Are we willing to sacrifice both the doc and the cop for a few mafia? What I am saying is that the plot that we are hatching to foil the mafia will not come as "Woot! we caught some mafia!". It will come as "Hmmm we caught a few suspicious people who are not telling the truth, and they could be both mafia or town power players." In that situation, we have no idea who is who, but the mafia does, since the mafia will claim town power roles. A correlation between names and power roles will only serve the mafia.

If there is no correlation between names and roles, then we get no where. It will only serve the mafia in that situation.

nux23

Smash Ace
you don't get any thing because the coin is to big to even squeeze trough for a prize so you jump out in suprise and get kaboomed and la-ploshed and woxyd and realize that this sentence has every letter in the alphabet in it
*insert coin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom