• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In terms of franchises with the most iconic overall cast, after Mario and Sonic I would say Street Fighter has the most iconic cast. I'm honestly expecting to see Chun-Li in Fighter's Pass 2 since it was rumored she was planned for base game but got cut due to time constraints and them not finding a satisfying enough moveset in time. If true, I think Chun-Li is very likely as DLC.
You mentioned "Overall Cast" so are you talking about a cast as a whole, and not just individual characters? Because Pacman, Pikachu, Link (Legend of Zelda), Kirby, and Megaman all trump the entire street fighter cast.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You mentioned "Overall Cast" so are you talking about a cast as a whole, and not just individual characters? Because Pacman, Pikachu, Link (Legend of Zelda), Kirby, and Megaman all trump the entire street fighter cast.
Yes I'm talking about casts as a whole. Street Fighter has one of the most iconic recongnizable casts in all of gaming alongside Mario and Sonic.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yes I'm talking about casts as a whole. Street Fighter has one of the most iconic recongnizable casts in all of gaming alongside Mario and Sonic.
Out of all the non-Nintendo videogame characters, the only non-Sonic characters who are more known than Megaman are probably Pacman, Ms. Pacman, and the ghosts (Pacman).

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would say they're just about as iconic as Mega Man. Pretty much all the Street Fighter 2 cast alone is as iconic as Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li.
Not upset nor complaining, but Megaman trumps Ryu. The Megaman franchise as a whole has had at least one installment on every Nintendo Console since the late 80s. Also, there have been plentiful of official Megaman cartoons, comics, and more, some of which are currently obscure at the moment. There have also been a series of Megaman RPGS which nobody knows anymore. Also, dozens of fanmade Megaman media has been responsible for making the titular Megaman character more iconic than Ryu.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not upset nor complaining, but Megaman trumps Ryu. The Megaman franchise as a whole has had at least one installment on every Nintendo Console since the late 80s. Also, there have been plentiful of official Megaman cartoons, comics, and more, some of which are currently obscure at the moment. There have also been a series of Megaman RPGS which nobody knows anymore.
But Street Fighter has outsold Mega Man in sells though and has been on more consoles. Though regardless, I would say Mega Man himself is just as iconic as the Street Fighter cast.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But Street Fighter has outsold Mega Man in sells though and has been on more consoles. Though regardless, I would say Mega Man himself is just as iconic as the Street Fighter cast.
Don't want to be rude, but saying "Ryu is more iconic than Megaman just because Ryu is more popular" is like saying "Frogs are cold-blooded, therefore frogs are reptiles." which isn't true.

Take a look at this fanart.

From left to right, Megaman, Bomberman, Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Pacman, and Banjo.

If you replaced Megaman with Ryu in this artwork, Ryu would look blatantly out of place. Megaman is a cuddly character who can fit when he is grouped with Mario, Sonic, and Pacman.

To get back on topic, I would certainly prefer another Sonic character over Chun-Li.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Don't want to be rude, but saying "Ryu is more iconic than Megaman just because Ryu is more popular" is like saying "Frogs are cold-blooded, therefore frogs are reptiles." which isn't true.

Take a look at this fanart.

From left to right, Megaman, Bomberman, Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Pacman, and Banjo.

If you replaced Megaman with Ryu in this artwork, Ryu would look blatantly out of place. Megaman is a cuddly character who can fit when he is grouped with Mario, Sonic, and Pacman.

To get back on topic, I would certainly prefer another Sonic character over Chun-Li.
Well I'm just saying. Street Fighter is the most well known fighting game series on the planet so more gamers around the world would recognize Ryu than the number of Nintendo fans that would recognize Mega Man.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
new years day 2021.png

To everyone in this thread, does anyone remember SammyClassicSonicFan? He was a fan of both Modern and Classic Sonic. Back in mid 2013, Sammy made a video titled "Stop hating on Sonic", which helped him cumulate his infamy back then.

Later Sammy posted a rant to convince people to support his concept of a 3D environment Classic Sonic game.
The "Your actions have consequences scene" soon became a meme during the mid 2010s. But it was a flavor of the month. Basically, Sammy became infamous for just one video, and a following video, which triggered thousands of people to post memes about Sammy.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
View attachment 297947

To everyone in this thread, does anyone remember SammyClassicSonicFan? He was a fan of both Modern and Classic Sonic. Back in mid 2013, Sammy made a video titled "Stop hating on Sonic", which helped him cumulate his infamy back then.

Later Sammy posted a rant to convince people to support his concept of a 3D environment Classic Sonic game.
The "Your actions have consequences scene" soon became a meme during the mid 2010s. But it was a flavor of the month. Basically, Sammy became infamous for just one video, and a following video, which triggered thousands of people to post memes about Sammy.
what has this got to do with anything?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I support. I simply relish the prospect of having one of Sonic's closest allies being a playable character! Also, if you are interested, here is my moveset idea (keep in mind that the design is with the idea that Tails is a very controllable character that has the option of being slow or fast in action. The keywords are 'safety' and 'controllability,' with a tradeoff of power.):

Jab (AA): Tails performs two roundhouse kicks. The second hit can be delayed, and the first hit's endlag can be cancelled into any input, making it a decent pressure, escape and combo tool.

Dash attack : Tails extends both arms outward in a shoving motion as he moves. This has no K.O. potential, but comes out quickly, does not interfere with his movement, and can be cancelled into a roll.

Ftilt: A roundhouse kick similar to Mario's, but with more knockback and higher endlag.

Utilt: Tails does a backflipping kick that can be cancelled into a jump.

Dtilt: Tails sweeps his tails in front of him in a similar fashion to Fox, though not as quickly.

Usmash: Miles hovers above the ground and performs a scissor kick above him, somewhat like Wolf, but with higher endlag and the option to cancel into a jump if you do so before his tails cease spinning.

Fsmash: After backflipping and hovering for the charge animation, Tails flies forward with both legs fully extended in front of him. This move has high startup, but if you time a jump when his tails start spinning, it can be cancelled.

Damash: Tails hovers above the ground and throws an explosive down. The ensuing explosion causes high knockback, and the attack can be cancelled into a jump if timed properly, in which case, Tails does not throw the bomb, and now has a throwing item at his disposal that behaves just as a bob-omb. The window for cancelling this attack is often too small to use outside of a premeditated intent though.

Fthrow: Miles grabs the opponent by the collar and flies forward with them. He then tosses them away.

Uthrow: Tails flies upward with the opponent and tosses them upward.

Bthrow: Tails, holding on to the opponent, orbits around them and kicks them away.

Dthrow: Tails flies above the opponent and stomps them in the face many times before slamming them into the ground with an axe kick.

Fair: Tails kicks forward in front of him twice.

Uair: Tails stalls his descent, curls into a ball, and swings his body upward, pivoting about his current position.

Dair: Tails plummets to the ground with both legs pointing straight down, the fall can be cancelled into up B described shortly.

Bair: Tails stalls his descent using his tails. He then spins around with both legs fully extended, the move can be cancelled into up B or a double jump.

Nair: Miles curls into a ball; his tails strike outward about him in a similar fashion to Ivysaurs Bair in Brawl.

Neutral B: Tails charges up a powerful laser, during which time he can move while preparing. The move can be cancelled into a roll until the latter stages of charging.

Down B: This is not really a move. Instead, inputting this during any attack enables you to do the following while holding B: Control stick- forward, Tails speeds up the attack animation, eliminating all but a fraction of the original damage; Control stick back- Tails slows down the animation, making it slightly more powerful and extending the window for cancelling; Control stick up - Tails drastically angles the attack upward; Control stick down - Tails drastically angles the attack downward. The technique requires quick action and has a high learning curve, but once mastered, gives Prower players virtually limitless flexibility.

Side B: After winding up for a moment, Tails throws out fake ring bombs in the same way he does in Sonic Heroes. They detonate shortly after release, stunning opponents, and giving Tails a tool for edgeguarding and setups.

Up B: Tails propels himself upward while spinning his tails. Afterward, the player gets six to eight seconds of midair control time, giving him an excellent, though somewhat slow recovery. He descends slowly when no directional input is made, but he can fast fall with a down input on the stick. He can cancel into a ledge grab, but cannot attack or dodge out of the move.

Final smash: Sorry... you must come up with this one. I am out of ideas!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sonic and Friends in Chinese New Year outfits.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I have a question about the mainline Sonic games. Are the mainline Sonic games episodic/connected to each other?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I have a question about the mainline Sonic games. Are the mainline Sonic games episodic/connected to each other?
Depends on what games you're talking about.
If Forces' headcanon is to be believed, all Classic Sonic games are seperate from the Modern ones.
06 created a soft reboot of the series, but also reset time afterwards which made the events of 06 never happen. So it exists in its own pocket universe, so to speak.
But other than those exceptions, yes, the mainline games are connected to each other.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Depends on what games you're talking about.
If Forces' headcanon is to be believed, all Classic Sonic games are seperate from the Modern ones.
06 created a soft reboot of the series, but also reset time afterwards which made the events of 06 never happen. So it exists in its own pocket universe, so to speak.
But other than those exceptions, yes, the mainline games are connected to each other.
To be more specific I'm asking if each subsequent installment in the Sonic series is an episodic connection to the previous one. For example, is Sonic Advance 1 an episodic sequel to Sonic Adventure 2?

I've previously asked a similar question about the Mario franchise being episodic or not.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
To be more specific I'm asking if each subsequent installment in the Sonic series is an episodic connection to the previous one. For example, is Sonic Advance 1 an episodic sequel to Sonic Adventure 2?

I've previously asked a similar question about the Mario franchise being episodic or not.
Oh. In that case, I have no idea what the Sonic timeline is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

yes and it made as about as much sense then. episodic is the wrong term anyway, that would imply that theyre all part of a larger story arch which neither are

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Gonna manifest Tails into Smash tomorrow.
Don't do that.
Don't give me hope.
Also hi all. Been a long time. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this yet, but the sequel to the Sonic Movie got an official teaser.
It seems like the main advertisement of the film is Tails being in it, so it's pretty obvious that Tails will be quite prominent.
There's also the fact that it's Sonic's 30th anniversary this year.
So if there's any time for Tails to be in Smash, it's now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Don't do that.
Don't give me hope.
Also hi all. Been a long time. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this yet, but the sequel to the Sonic Movie got an official teaser.
It seems like the main advertisement of the film is Tails being in it, so it's pretty obvious that Tails will be quite prominent.
There's also the fact that it's Sonic's 30th anniversary this year.
So if there's any time for Tails to be in Smash, it's now.
so they're gonna mess up tails next?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What do you mean by that?
I assume it's referring to how Sonic's initial design was bad, even though
Tails was shown at the end of the movie. (I don't think anyone cares about Sonic the Hedgehog movie spoilers, but whatever)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I assume it's referring to how Sonic's initial design was bad, even though
Tails was shown at the end of the movie. (I don't think anyone cares about Sonic the Hedgehog movie spoilers, but whatever)

thats a touch uncanny valley

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Pyra getting in rather than Rex kills the idea of any DLC Mii Fighter costumes getting promoted. So, sorry Tails fans.
On the bright side, we might get more Sonic character mii costumes, maybe even a deluxe Sonic character mii costume if Lilac (Freedom Planet) is one of the final 2 DLC characters. Given that both Sonic and Freedom Planet are furry-themed franchises.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the bright side, we might get more Sonic character mii costumes, maybe even a deluxe Sonic character mii costume if Lilac (Freedom Planet) is one of the final 2 DLC characters. Given that both Sonic and Freedom Planet are furry-themed franchises.
sonic predates that and had nothing to do with it what so ever and is just anthropomorphic animals so do not project that onto them

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Why do y'all think of Eggman seemingly getting all the attention nowadays? I would personally much prefer Tails and I kinda wish he were talked about more.
I think to be fair Eggman's the only real possibility left for Ultimate DLC as Tails is a Mii costume, Shadow and Knuckles are an assist. And anyone else would be just weird. But I just can't see Eggman being one of the final two here (I'd be willing to eat my words here if I turn out wrong, because at this point Eggman would still be cool since Tails wasn't possible this time around)

That said Eggman might be a big rival for attention next game. That said it should be noted this is somewhat bandwagoning off Sephiroth when Sephiroth is somewhat of a different caliber when it comes to requests for Smash. Ask any Final Fantasy 7 fan who they'd want to be a 2nd character in Smash from the same game. A good majority is bound to say Sephiroth, with the only decent large dissent would perhaps be fans of Tifa (Albeit I suppose if you asked Final Fantasy fans in general it'd get more interesting). But ask Sonic fans who they'd want for a 2nd Sonic character you're almost never going to get the same answer so many times in a row though the most common would be Tails, Eggman, Shadow, and Knuckles. Eggman's an iconic villain but he's also not always suggested as the next choice in Smash and it's quite arguable they'd at least want an Ally of Sonic added too.

Sephiroth helps Tails in the future just about as much as it does Eggman because Tails and Sephiroth are both characters that sort of transcend the fact that they're from an already represented franchise and are recognizable video game characters by their own merits. When people think Final Fantasy 7, Sephiroth is one of defining characters and/or images in their mind from that game other then Cloud. When people think of Sonic, it's probably quite often Tails running behind Sonic comes to mind immediately too. I'm not saying Eggman doesn't fit this on some level. But I don't know, something just feels right about a game that already has... Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong and Diddy, Ryu and Ken, Fox and Falco, etc. that'd be hard to deny that Sonic and Tails would make for an excellent inclusion. Eggman fans can always point out that Smash could need more villains and/or Eggman would have a more unique moveset then any of Sonic's friends but there's just that gut feeling I have that he wouldn't come first. It's not Eggman who's exactly been requested for years. You have Tails since the EGM April fools prank, Shadow since Brawl came out (Especially if you looked at all the Brawl mods), and Knuckles also getting his fair share just for the character's reputation for punching not to mention was worked on for Project M garnering him some fans I imagine.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I think to be fair Eggman's the only real possibility left for Ultimate DLC as Tails is a Mii costume, Shadow and Knuckles are an assist. And anyone else would be just weird. But I just can't see Eggman being one of the final two here (I'd be willing to eat my words here if I turn out wrong, because at this point Eggman would still be cool since Tails wasn't possible this time around)

That said Eggman might be a big rival for attention next game. That said it should be noted this is somewhat bandwagoning off Sephiroth when Sephiroth is somewhat of a different caliber when it comes to requests for Smash. Ask any Final Fantasy 7 fan who they'd want to be a 2nd character in Smash from the same game. A good majority is bound to say Sephiroth, with the only decent large dissent would perhaps be fans of Tifa (Albeit I suppose if you asked Final Fantasy fans in general it'd get more interesting). But ask Sonic fans who they'd want for a 2nd Sonic character you're almost never going to get the same answer so many times in a row though the most common would be Tails, Eggman, Shadow, and Knuckles. Eggman's an iconic villain but he's also not always suggested as the next choice in Smash and it's quite arguable they'd at least want an Ally of Sonic added too.

Sephiroth helps Tails in the future just about as much as it does Eggman because Tails and Sephiroth are both characters that sort of transcend the fact that they're from an already represented franchise and are recognizable video game characters by their own merits. When people think Final Fantasy 7, Sephiroth is one of defining characters and/or images in their mind from that game other then Cloud. When people think of Sonic, it's probably quite often Tails running behind Sonic comes to mind immediately too. I'm not saying Eggman doesn't fit this on some level. But I don't know, something just feels right about a game that already has... Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong and Diddy, Ryu and Ken, Fox and Falco, etc. that'd be hard to deny that Sonic and Tails would make for an excellent inclusion. Eggman fans can always point out that Smash could need more villains and/or Eggman would have a more unique moveset then any of Sonic's friends but there's just that gut feeling I have that he wouldn't come first. It's not Eggman who's exactly been requested for years. You have Tails since the EGM April fools prank, Shadow since Brawl came out (Especially if you looked at all the Brawl mods), and Knuckles also getting his fair share just for the character's reputation for punching not to mention was worked on for Project M garnering him some fans I imagine.
That's quite insightful, thank you so much for taking the time to type all of that out. I personally would like to see Eggman as a stage boss or something, mostly because I feel as though that would be the best way to allow him to use his full arsenal in the game.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Today, I wrote a horror-comedy story that parodies Sonic.EXE, titled Mega Man.EXE

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Now getting back on topic, I'm sorry to say that Tails may not arrive until Smash 6. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom