• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
What is this, a squirrel?

Tails was created as part of an internal contest in SEGA to create a new character for Sonic the Hedgehog 2. A man named Yasushi Yamaguchi designed a youthful kitsune (mythological Japanese fox that grows more tails as it ages) that he named Miles Prower, a pun on "miles per hour." However, SEGA felt that Tails was a better name and used that instead. Yamaguchi, not taking this sitting down, stuck the name "Miles Prower" under every single one of his illustrations of the fox until SEGA at last caved and compromised by giving the character both names.

But enough about the technical stuff, what's the lore?

Tails was largely bullied growing up due to his two tails and love of tinkering, living alone and without friends. That all changed one day when he just couldn't help himself and began to tinker with a someone's biplane he found on a beach, falling asleep under it's wing. This biplane turned out to belong to none other than Sonic, but fortunately rather than being angry Sonic was actually quite appreciative of the work Tails had done on it. That day, Tails made the first friend he'd ever had.

Since then, Tails has been on quite a few adventures. Whether it being helping Sonic stop the Death Egg, saving Station Square from a bomb, creating translators for aliens or just being a pilot for Sonic, Tails is always happy to help. Some say that he's even fought some birds and a witch somewhere out there on his own.

Surely he'd just be a clone of Sonic, right?

Not at all! Tails has actually had quite a number of different abilities depending on the game, from bombs of several types (including normal, timed, and napalm) and a remote robot in Tails Adventure, to an arm cannon and glove on a spring in Sonic Battle, to Dummy Ring Bombs and sniping in. . .uh. . .some game we don't talk about, Tails has quite the varied past in terms of abilities. Then of course there is his spinning tail swipe and signature flight abilities, to say nothing of the planes, mechs, and submarines he's driven.

I think Tails' potential is best demonstrated by his Mii costume. According to the default assumption that he'd be "just a clone," he would have surely been chosen as a Brawler, but instead he was created as a Gunner with a weapon he's never even had before. This is a pretty good demonstration of how deep his potential runs compared to the usual idea people have of him. Seeing as he's a tinkerer and only bested by Eggman in terms of raw IQ in his world, he has essentially bottomless potential in terms of a moveset.

So anyway. . .welcome to the Tails support thread. Grab some chili dogs with extra cheese and some delicious mints and make yourself at home. :4sonic:

Official Smash Bros Prower Club
Quote for compactness said:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sorry Jaguar360 Jaguar360 , someone beat you too it.

That being said, I'm all for Tails in Smash. He was always one of my favorite Sonic characters, though I do love me some Knuckles too.

I guess you can add me if you want.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*EDIT* Nevermind that, I misinterpreted it. Sorry I ninja'd someone, though, this is just the one support thread I really wanted to make, even if it probably won't be super detailed and polished without help. ^^'

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Um....I don't see another one in this forum.....

I think you misunderstood what he said.....

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Um....I don't see another one in this forum.....

I think you misunderstood what he said.....
Oh, whoops.

Well, uh. . .now I feel embarrassed in a whole other way, but at least I didn't accidentally mess up.

Am I alright writing it back up?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Whoops, sorry, I forgot to check! I'll delete it!
No, you are fine.

Jaguar owned the original thread, but you made a fresh new one fair and square first. No need to move it.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Oh, whoops.

Well, uh. . .now I feel embarrassed in a whole other way, but at least I didn't accidentally mess up.

Am I alright writing it back up?
I can revert it back to the original so you don't have to if you'd like.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I can revert it back to the original so you don't have to if you'd like.
That would be nice, thank you! I tried redoing it before I read your reply but I only made it about halfway through. Having the whole thing back would be a big help. I really need to learn how to read, although it didn't help that I was already on edge worrying I would mess up. ^^'

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That would be nice, thank you! I tried redoing it before I read your reply but I only made it about halfway through. Having the whole thing back would be a big help. I really need to learn how to read, although it didn't help that I was already on edge worrying I would mess up. ^^'
Done.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Had no idea there was a Switch forum, I should check the other sections of Smashboards more lol. Thanks for making the thread, I hope that Tails and/or Knuckles manages to get in this time. The Smash 4 Mii costumes DLC was a decent first step.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd love for Tails to make it in.

He's my favorite Sonic character after all.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Nope.

I'm sorry, but the prime directive of Super Smash Bros is to celebrate Nintendo. Third party franchises involved in Smash are only guest franchises, so there's really no point in adding a second Sonic representative. It would just make the game lose focus of its primeval directive.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know you can get infracted for this kind of stuff right?

First off, it's just distasteful and against the rules of the section, but its also a video only post which is against site rules.

So either back out of here or apologize and actually give some meaningful discussion.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You know you can get infracted for this kind of stuff right?

First off, it's just distasteful and against the rules of the section, but its also a video only post which is against site rules.

So either back out of here or apologize and actually give some meaningful discussion.
Edited the post. Sorry bout that.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Nope.

I'm sorry, but the prime directive of Super Smash Bros is to celebrate Nintendo. Third party franchises involved in Smash are only guest franchises, so there's really no point in adding a second Sonic representative. It would just make the game lose focus of its primeval directive.
Aren't third party franchises part of Nintendo's history in their own way, though?

What makes Tails, who has been in at least four games with Mario himself, has been on Nintendo systems for longer than he hasn't, and been playable in more games on Nintendo systems than many entire Nintendo franchises, lose focus more than Cloud, who while I'm perfectly fine with him has only appeared on Nintendo systems in spinoffs?

Sonic was considered as early as Melee and was simply too late for it. Smash has never been a sacred ground where third parties were seen by it's creators as un-Nintendo. Whether or not the double dip line will be crossed one can't say, but "No two characters from the same company" was once according to fans a hard rule considered to be disturbing to even think of being broken, and then Ryu happened.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
What makes Tails, who has been in at least four games with Mario himself, has been on Nintendo systems for longer than he hasn't, and been playable in more games on Nintendo systems than many entire Nintendo franchises, lose focus more than Cloud, who while I'm perfectly fine with him has only appeared on Nintendo systems in spinoffs?
I'm sure you mean well, but I recall reading that Cloud was added because Sakurai researched what Final Fantasy characters people wanted in Smash, and Cloud was the most requested despite what you said about him being true.

Having third party characters in the game isn't a problem, but it's the idea of multiple characters from one third party franchise that could drive Smash away from its prime directive of being a Nintendo all star game.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm sure you mean well, but I recall reading that Cloud was added because Sakurai researched what Final Fantasy characters people wanted in Smash, and Cloud was the most requested despite what you said about him being true.

Having third party characters in the game isn't a problem, but it's the idea of multiple characters from one third party franchise that could drive Smash away from its prime directive of being a Nintendo all star game.
And what makes a second third party character from the same franchise less of a Nintendo all-star just because they're from the same franchise as another Nintendo all-star?

How does being a second character take away all of their historical and popularity based merit?

For that matter, what if they were popular themselves? Tails and Knuckles got their Mii costumes at the last possible point, they had to know the Ballot results at least somewhat by then.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
While I personally prefer Dr.Eggman, I wouldn't mind Tails as a second Sonic character at all. Count me in.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I will stand by tails! I think he would be an interesting choice of character with his usage of gadgets and flight.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
If another Sonic Rep were to be chosen I would very much want it to be Tails.

I don't really know who would argue about "Tails would just be a clone" because he wouldn't be at all. He certainly has his own abilities and things he can do that sets him apart from Sonic. I have no doubt they could be pretty creative with his moveset.

I do however, also feel like the odds might be stacked against Tails' inclusion as well. I honestly don't think we'll ever get another Sonic Rep, especially if it's just going to be a port and not a new game entirely. I also feel like he might have some competition with Knuckles for a slot. Despite this I still wish for the day it will happen as Tails has always been my favorite Sonic character.

We might just get lucky after all. Nintendo has thrown a few fastballs before that no one expected.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My idea for a Final Smash is Tails summoning the Cyclone from Sonic Adventure 2 and going on a rampage.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Admittedly, I favor Knuckles and Eggman, but I still really like Tails too, and as the original sidekick/secondary protagonist/Player 2 of Sonic and more or less being the Luigi of the series, I do feel he's the most likely candidate for a second Sonic rep if it were ever allowed. Support.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well with Tails fully playable in Mania, that's another notch on his Boom-Exclusive belt and a relevant modern appearance.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Oh heck yeah, I totally want this.
I personally think Tails has a lot of potential for this game. He has his, well tails to fly and possibly attack with, His Robot Arms and Arm Cannon from Sonic Battle, All of those bombs he has in Tails' Adventure and he can also use Sonic's Spindash that he came up with in the first place. I mean think about it. All of those Sonic and Tails Vs. Mario and Luigi dreams could come true. And his Final Smash could be his mech from Sonic Adventure 2.
Heck I want a whole game about him again. Something like a Metroidvania. My inspiration was Tails' Adventure which was similar to Metroid a bit. But I'm getting ahead of myself here.
But Tails would be pretty cool if you were to ask me. He is Sonic's number two after all. If it's anyone who should join Smash it's him.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I absolutely want Tails (and Knuckles) in before any other 3rd Party newcomer. Mania is continuing to change the way I used to see the Sonic franchise. I know it's a pipe dream, but it would be cool.

SonicMario

Smash Master
While I doubt it will happen (At least certainly not this soon), Tails being playable in Smash is probably the only thing I could truly want out of any characters to Smash. While I won't be upset if it never happens, because Sonic being in since Brawl has already kinda fullfilled the dream addition. It'd be sweet to give one of my favorite characters in all of Gaming a shot. And would be awesome to see that old EGM April Fools joke about Sonic and Tails in Melee come to life in a way.

I think if Tails does get in this game, we'd likely have to wait until DLC. Cause that's where the "rules" seem to apply alot less in regards to 3rd Parties. (Remember when there could only be one character per company? Then came Ryu. Remember when the character had to specifically have a history with Nintendo? Then came Cloud. And while Bayonetta was the announced Ballot winner, and I don't mean any disrespect to her or her fans, she's not quite near the Gaming legend status that the previous 3rd Parties could claim yet I feel. So she alone opened the floodgates). With those done in the past, it's not farfetched that a "rule" of No more then one character per 3rd Party franchise could be broken as well. And I personally believe Tails would be one of if not the most likely to make it should that rule be broken too.

Tails being DLC could also be a sort of compromise to those who don't want a 2nd Sonic character. Don't want him? Don't buy him.

Ideally, it'd be cool for Knuckles and/or Eggman to be there too. But I understand 3-4 characters for one non-Nintendo franchise would certainly be a step too far. I feel as part of one of the most famous gaming duos though, Tails would be the the most tolerable iconic-wise. Knuckles may make more sense in a fighting game arguably, but when someone is Sonic's Luigi you gotta give priority to Tails. As for Eggman, while I'd be cool with him if he were to be announced instead, I feel Tails might be that much more easier to develop cause at least some of his moves can be made alts of Sonic's moveset (Not condoning him being a clone. But certain moves should be shared like a Spin Dash). Eggman sounds harder other then maybe a much bigger and different toolset version of Bowser Jr. (With Eggman in the Egg Mobile)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
support as long as his moveset is based, even a little bit, on Tails' Adventure. I had some ideas for a moveset in fact.

B: Bomb: from Tails Adventure. Tails throws a bomb which explodes after 3 seconds or hitting someone/thing
Side B: Energy Ball: Tails gets out his arm cannon from Sonic Battle and charges an energy ball.
Up B: Fly: similar to Pit's Up B in Brawl
Down B: Spin-Dash: like Sonic's down B, but with the hop from his side B as well.
Final Smash: Tails and the Music Maker: Tails gets out the pinball machine from Tails and the Music Maker, which emits musical notes that stun then launch foes, coconuts which hit the ground and explode, and frogs which bounce around the stage hurting foes a bit.

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
is tails the most likely next sonic character? I really hope so, but i can also see eggman coming before him :(

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I can see either Tails or Eggman being a second Sonic character.

Tails because he's one of the most iconic sidekicks in all of gaming.

And Eggman because he's one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming.

I lean towards Dr. Eggman myself, but I would not complain about Tails at all.

Top Bottom