• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

SonicMario

Smash Master
is tails the most likely next sonic character? I really hope so, but i can also see eggman coming before him :(
I don't know about that. Sure, Eggman's the main villain, and as such has a bit of a leg up on Tails on who's most deserving. But we got Luigi before Bowser, and we got Diddy while we still have yet to get K. Rool.

Tails also might be something a bit easier to develop. As he could share a few moves here and there with Sonic. To me, Eggman would make more sense as a boss should the Sonic series ever include one. Sonic and Tails is one of the most iconic duos of video game history. I feel it'd be more enticing to have Sonic & Tails Vs. Mario & Luigi in a team battle be possible.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Hey hey, add me to the supporter list! I think Tails, in terms of third parties, is definitely a great choice. Maybe his Up-B could function how his flight does in-game, and could perhaps let you use an attack during it before entering free-fall. I'd also love to see some throwbacks to Sonic Battle in his move set.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I too find that my favorite characters tend to often be ones that can fly.

Briefly. Before plummeting exhaustedly/crispily to the ground.

Anyway supporter list updated, guys!
thanks for adding me. Yes and i also like vocal characters. I can see tails saying "I'll do my best" XD

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
For the love of god Sakurai if you want to include a 2nd Sonic rep, please do not choose Shadow.

I support Tails.

SonicMario

Smash Master
For the love of god Sakurai if you want to include a 2nd Sonic rep, please do not choose Shadow.

I support Tails.
I feel that despite Shadow's popularity he's no where near the next choice should they go the route of adding more characters. SA2's my favorite Sonic game. But that doesn't mean I want Shadow before classic characters like Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman. Shadow should be at best a 5th Sonic rep. And that only happens if Nintendo buys out Sega.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm usually of the mindset that "Nintendo first, then iconic 3rd parties only"

I sure as heck don't want a second Megaman character or a second Street Fighter(unless it's Ken as an alt for Ryu) or any more Final Fantasy characters.... but...Tails, man!

Tails was my very first video game character I got to play. My friend had Sonic 2 and handed me the second controller. Ever since he's been one of my absolute favourite video game characters and at the very least the one I've been a fan of the longest.

I feel like Tails is, in his own right, more of an iconic video game character than half the third party suggestions I hear these days.

So slap my name on that support list, as Tails is pretty much the only secondary third party character I'll be supporting (sorry Knuckles, not sorry Shadow).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm usually of the mindset that "Nintendo first, then iconic 3rd parties only"

I sure as heck don't want a second Megaman character or a second Street Fighter(unless it's Ken as an alt for Ryu) or any more Final Fantasy characters.... but...Tails, man!

Tails was my very first video game character I got to play. My friend had Sonic 2 and handed me the second controller. Ever since he's been one of my absolute favourite video game characters and at the very least the one I've been a fan of the longest.

I feel like Tails is, in his own right, more of an iconic video game character than half the third party suggestions I hear these days.

So slap my name on that support list, as Tails is pretty much the only secondary third party character I'll be supporting (sorry Knuckles, not sorry Shadow).
I still prefer Shadow myself; however, I would not complain, at all, if we got Tails. I was never even a huge fan of him. But back when that April Fools Sonic joke came out or whatever, I always wondered what Tails would play like more than Sonic himself. Once Brawl came out, I was like, "okay, but where is Tails?"

I was not expecting him last time, but honestly, if any series deserves a second character, it is Sonic and Tails is arguably the best choice for that.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Tails is easily in my top three most-wanted. To be able to pit Sonic and Tails against Mario and Luigi would be nothing short of amazing.

Both he and a hypothetical Dixie could have a similar flight animation with up-B. Other moves I would include is his spin dash (down-B), tail swipe (neutral B), and side B would include throwing a random object taken from previous games such as a ring (Tails Flight Patrol), bomb (Tails Adventure), or remote plane (Sonic Lost World).

Final Smash would be his bi-plane traversing across the stage, which would knock into anyone in its flight path, before finally crashing.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Guess who I voted in the Smash Ballot? Tails. If any Sonic character makes it into Smash (besides the veteran Sonic himself), it has to be Tails. And his Up B move where he flies with his two tails? That's gotta have a gimmick. You know in Sonic 3 where Sonic can grab on to Tails when he flies? Well, an opponent could grab onto his hands like a ledge, aiding in their recovery while weighing Tails down. The heavier the character, the slower his ascent would be and the quicker he would get tired.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sonic's such an important 3rd party franchise, it should definitely be considered on an even level with Smash's first parties. Sonic should absolutely have another character, and Tails has always been my favorite Sonic character!

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
I'm not expecting a second character for any third party franchise, but if that is possible I truly want it to be Tails

Tails has always been my favourite Sonic character and I would love to see him in Smash.

And Sonic is almost part of Nintendo family these days with all their games being released on Nintendo platforms, so the franchise could very well have a second slot in the roster

Like a said, I don't think it will happen, but we can only hope. Tails totally has my support

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The first third-party veteran should definitely invite his friend in Smash. Sonic's overrepresentation in Smash would be a great WTF troll shock moment to people who grew up in the 90's thinking of Nintendo and Sega being rivals.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The first third-party veteran should definitely invite his friend in Smash. Sonic's overrepresentation in Smash would be a great WTF troll shock moment to people who grew up in the 90's thinking of Nintendo and Sega being rivals.
The shock of it all plus how divisive it would be is why if it happens, it'll probably be DLC. I'm sure they could collect quite a bit from the Sonic fanbase. And those who aren't a fan of an idea of Sonic getting a 2nd character can simply choose not to buy them. We've seen before how many "rules" on 3rd Party characters fell down in Smash's first experience with DLC after all.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Nah, I think Tails should be an unlockable character where his method to unlock involve using Sonic to win a few matches.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Nah, I think Tails should be an unlockable character where his method to unlock involve using Sonic to win a few matches.
Believe me, I'd love that as I would like to have Tails as soon as possible. Just feels like DLC would be the better compromise when it comes to additional Sonic characters.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't want Tails to get a non-fighter trophy and a Classic mode trophy like what happened with Mewtwo and Lucas. And I'm going to have to buy a Switch when I get this game, so I shouldn't have to pay that extra for a character I really want.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
am I the only one who wants Tails' moveset to be based on the Tails trilogy of games? (Adventure, Skypatrol and Music Maker) really unlikely, especially in the case of Music Maker, but I can dream, eh?

D

Deleted member

I'm really torn between whether I want both Tails and Knuckles (Not gonna happen I know) or Eggman.
On the one hand, Eggman is without a doubt the most unique of the viable Sonic characters and having another villain would be cool. On the other hand, the recent Sonic Mania Plus trailer's friendship theme made the idea of having Sonic's sidekicks be in Smash along with him a lot more compelling than it used to be, and they're also my top 2 favorite characters in the series (Eggman is a close third though).
Regardless, I support Tails for Smash, as he's my favorite Sonic character, so sign me up.

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm really torn between whether I want both Tails and Knuckles (Not gonna happen I know) or Eggman.
On the one hand, Eggman is without a doubt the most unique of the viable Sonic characters and having another villain would be cool. On the other hand, the recent Sonic Mania Plus trailer's friendship theme made the idea of having Sonic's sidekicks be in Smash along with him a lot more compelling than it used to be, and they're also my top 2 favorite characters in the series (Eggman is a close third though).
Regardless, I support Tails for Smash, as he's my favorite Sonic character, so sign me up.
bowser jr is pretty close to how i imagine eggman playing

D

Deleted member

bowser jr is pretty close to how i imagine eggman playing
Meh, I feel like they could play quite differently from each other. I feel like Eggman should use the Egg Walker from Adventure 2.
imo the more mech users, the better.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Tails is my favorite Sonic character, the Genesis tetralogy is my favorite platformer series in existence, and you freaking bet he'd be a main of mine if ever included in SSB. A lot of people go for Knuckles or Robotnik instead, and in a fighting game they might make more sense, but Sonic and Tails are inseparable buddies and it seems like a natural choice to unite them in SSB.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Meh, I feel like they could play quite differently from each other. I feel like Eggman should use the Egg Walker from Adventure 2.
imo the more mech users, the better.
dont think we have any mech users in smash so far, tails and eggman are candidates cant think of meny nintendo characters who use mechs that work for a regular move set

tails though would be better out of a mech i think

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I think I'd be upset if they put Tails in a mech for his entire moveset. The Tornado 2 would make a great final smash though!

D

Deleted member

dont think we have any mech users in smash so far, tails and eggman are candidates cant think of meny nintendo characters who use mechs that work for a regular move set
*points at own profile picture*
tails though would be better out of a mech i think
Yeah, Tails would probably be better without a mech.
The cyclone kinda ruined his gameplay in SA2 to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I didn't mind Tails being in a Mech for SA2. Though part of that is SA2 was my first Sonic game so Tails being in a mech was my first experience with the character. And another part of that is it's still kind of badass for a sidekick like him to be invading Military Bases and Eggman's base shooting everything in sight.

But yeah if Tails gets in Smash. He'll be out on his own. Him being in a mech was in only one game. It's more traditional to how Tails has been in since Sonic 2 and most of what we can envision his moveset is based on him running on his own. I'm not even sure if Eggman got in Smash they'd use the SA2 walker he used specifically. Somehow I picture Eggman either being in a mech suit of some kind if he got in Smash or make him similar to Bowser Jr. where he's almost always in the egg mobile.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
What if Super Smash Bros 5 ended up with eight Sonic characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, Blaze and Metal Sonic?

SonicMario

Smash Master
What if Super Smash Bros 5 ended up with eight Sonic characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Shadow, Blaze and Metal Sonic?
That'd be absolutely crazy. The Sonic fan in me would love it. But man would the backlash be crazy. This only happens realistically if not only does Nintendo buy Sega, they plan to make Sonic immediately one of their flagships on the level of Mario and Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

I'd be unironically salty that we got Metal Sonic over Silver.

D

Deleted member

Eh, Metal Sonic's just more popular. Plus Silver has the unfortunate downside of debuting in... a certain game that the Sonic franchise will never live down...
I suppose you're right.
Man, I really wish they used Silver better. It sucks that he's infamous for being that 3rd wheel hedgehog with the terrible voice in that one Sonic game...

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Let's take it up to eleven and have the characters I listed included, alongside Silver, Vector and Sticks.

D

Deleted member

Let's take it up to eleven and have the characters I listed included, alongside Silver, Vector and Sticks.
Tbh even as a Sonic fan, I don't think there should be eleven Sonic characters.
Why Sticks though?

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Sonic in Smash, so feel free to put me on the support list! Tails is probably the only Sonic character I'd want to see make it in besides Blaze or Eggman. Knuckles might be cool too, but I'd still probably take Tails over him.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So if Tails were to use his Up Special to do his famous helicopter thing, and players are able to grab onto his hands like a ledge when he does that while weighing him down, how would that play out in competitive matches?

SonicMario

Smash Master
So if Tails were to use his Up Special to do his famous helicopter thing, and players are able to grab onto his hands like a ledge when he does that while weighing him down, how would that play out in competitive matches?
I think if they did that, they'd have to of course make it easy for the opponent to get out of the grab otherwise Tails could just suicide to KO them both (I know Kirbycide, Bowsercide, Ganoncide, DKcide, and Dedecide exist but still). And thus if a Tails player ever had any sort of stock lead he'd have a heavy advantage. (Sonic can jump out of Tails grab anytime in the games so it should make sense the other fighters could too)

It'd probably work like you have to jump up close to Tails without attacking (Otherwise that makes Tails impervious to mid-air attacks) to get grabbed up. It's a mechanic that definitely would be most useful in a team battle match. Tails can help those with less good recoveries. Imagine having a Tails player help out say a Little Mac in competitive team battles.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Of course they could jump out of the grab. But would Tails be at a disadvantage when other players use him as a platform to recover? Especially when heavy players like Bowser could pull him down? He can help lightweights like Kirby just fine in team battles. But maybe to balance things out, the player would have to fall helplessly when they let go. Other wise, if the player has access to all the jumps and moves after using the rescue mechanic, a skilled Captain Falcon player could latch onto Tails, jump off him to spike a Falcon Punch and then Raptor Boost back on the stage, or Sonic could betray his buddy by dropping a spring on him.

Top Bottom