• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Could join in too as a supporter - my most favorite Sonic-character for the longest time, so him being in the game would be intriguing.

Something to note: I kept my eyes peeled on Green Hill Zone during the Japanese Smash Ultimate Tournament-stream last weekend:

So far we only have Knuckles running in the background - no sign at all about Tails, or Silver.

My best theories for this is that either Tails and Silver just didn't get finished yet - or there's something else in store for both. Though I wonder about Silver in this case.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So far we only have Knuckles running in the background - no sign at all about Tails, or Silver.

My best theories for this is that either Tails and Silver just didn't get finished yet - or there's something else in store for both. Though I wonder about Silver in this case.
I'm pretty sure people saw Tails and Silver in the background.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to have a coin that depicts Miles Prower on the "tails" side of it?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tails has been seen in the background already, Valkryie. He probably just didn't pop out in sheer RNG.

But it's not a clear deconfirm either way. Especially being an old stage. Plus you can have the oddity of Knuckles the Assist Trophy appearing at the same time as Knuckles in the Background (It'd be incredibly hard, given the RNG of both unless you can pick which Assists show up more often but still possible)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Tails has been seen in the background already, Valkryie. He probably just didn't pop out in sheer RNG.

But it's not a clear deconfirm either way. Especially being an old stage. Plus you can have the oddity of Knuckles the Assist Trophy appearing at the same time as Knuckles in the Background (It'd be incredibly hard, given the RNG of both unless you can pick which Assists show up more often but still possible)
Oh - I guess I was kind of late then. But anyway, we'll hopefully see what we go sometime in the lane.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Here to show my support for Tails. Always liked the character, especially as Sonic's partner in the games. I'm an older fan, playing as him a lot in Sonic 2, but one of my favorite quotes of his is from Sonic Adventure 2.

"Sonic asked me for the first time to do something for him. I won't let him down. I won't give up!"

That moment was really awesome for Tails. It's like he took the burden on himself to finish what they had started. Always admired the character a bit more after that moment.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gotta say, I'd be pretty annoyed if Tails - Sonic's answer to Luigi - is stuck as a background character while Shadow and Knuckles get assists (or more). It does seem that Tails has a bit more history behind him, and it's not like people hate him...

marcuzoo

Smash Rookie
Can’t wait to play as Tails I just wonder whether or not he’ll be an echo. He would be awesome in his blue mech, but I’d rather fly around as him.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Can’t wait to play as Tails I just wonder whether or not he’ll be an echo. He would be awesome in his blue mech, but I’d rather fly around as him.
Tails has even less reasons to be an echo then those who demand Shadow shouldn't be an echo. If Tails got in he'd have to be at least a semi-clone.

That unfortunately means that Shadow might be more likely because of the existence of Echo Fighters. But otherwise if there's room for an actual more unique Sonic character, I feel Tails comes first.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tails has even less reasons to be an echo then those who demand Shadow shouldn't be an echo. If Tails got in he'd have to be at least a semi-clone.

That unfortunately means that Shadow might be more likely because of the existence of Echo Fighters. But otherwise if there's room for an actual more unique Sonic character, I feel Tails comes first.
You're right on that one. Tails is essentially the "Player 2" of Sonic. He is the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. I support Tails for Smash.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Speaking of which, tomorrow or so (Sometimes days get delayed in that thread) is Tails turn on the Rate Their Chances thread.

Kinda not looking forward to it but I won't really glance much at the thread other then my own post for it anyway so I'm not too upset with seeing detractors. I will say even as someone as Tails is their most wanted. I can't give anything higher then 15-20%. And even 15% might be arguably generous for Tails. There's many reasons people will doubt Tails even more then me with how huge the roster is already, 2nd Sonic reps are a touchy/controversial subject in Smash speculation, Shadow as an echo fighter might be seen as the only possibility (I do think if Shadow gets in at all whether he's an echo or not, Tails' chances drop to 5% or worse), they may direct their ratings to the base game rather then the full picture including DLC (Cause I do think Tails best chances will be in DLC, not base game), etc.

I feel he might even be rated less then Eggman given the Doctor had the luxury of being rated before the game was fully revealed. (You know, before we knew that they'd place focus on bringing everybody from the past games back and everything). But I think Eggman stands even less of a chance now with both Tails and Shadow (The latter mostly thanks to echo fighters) ahead of him.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I've also posted in the Rate Their Chances thread.
I'm pretty sure this video is a good enough reason for me.
Okay being serious here I gave him a 20% chance of being in Smash. Of course, I wanted him 100% and I explained why I wanted him in. You can check the Rate Their Chances thread if you want to see my post for whatever reason.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
As cool as it would be to see that old rumour come true, I think if Sonic does get a second rep it will be Shadow. But tbh I don’t think it’s as likely as everyone is thinking, but I could be wrong

So basically imo

No new rep>Shadow>Metal>Tails>Eggman>Amy>Sliver>Espio

That’s who I believe to have the be chances of getting into to smash if so

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
As cool as it would be to see that old rumour come true, I think if Sonic does get a second rep it will be Shadow. But tbh I don’t think it’s as likely as everyone is thinking, but I could be wrong

So basically imo

No new rep>Shadow>Metal>Tails>Eggman>Amy>Sliver>Espio

That’s who I believe to have the be chances of getting into to smash if so
Why Metal over Tails?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Why Metal over Tails?
Chance for Echo and I feel The Smash team might think the fans would find it more acceptable if Metal was an echo over Tails

And thinking now, I feel Amy has a chance of getting in as an echo is better than a unique Tails getting in, as she was a clone of Sonic in SA2 so the would put her chances higher than Tails imo

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Chance for Echo and I feel The Smash team might think the fans would find it more acceptable if Metal was an echo over Tails

And thinking now, I feel Amy has a chance of getting in as an echo is better than a unique Tails getting in, as she was a clone of Sonic in SA2 so the would put her chances higher than Tails imo
Amy has her hammer. They can't possibly make her an echo.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Amy has her hammer. They can't possibly make her an echo.
Yeah you could put the Hammer into Sonic’s attack animations.

Instead of a kick as the last jab attack it’s a hammer swing,

Neutral A air she spins around swinging her hammer while in a sitting position. This attack was from a game

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Amy can be an Echo of Sonic, so can Tails by that logic :p (Ex: Neither could faithfully do Sonic's up-throw with the extending spines)

Also I get Metal makes many reappearances and often appears to make the fans excited almost as much as Shadow. But I don't think that puts him ahead of the Player 2 of Sonic.

I still agree with you that it's more likely there is no new Sonic character. But otherwise I feel Tails is only out-prioritized by an echo fighter Shadow.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
If Amy can be an Echo of Sonic, so can Tails by that logic :p (Ex: Neither could faithfully do Sonic's up-throw with the extending spines)

Also I get Metal makes many reappearances and often appears to make the fans excited almost as much as Shadow. But I don't think that puts him ahead of the Player 2 of Sonic.

I still agree with you that it's more likely there is no new Sonic character. But otherwise I feel Tails is only out-prioritized by an echo fighter Shadow.
I don't think Metal can do Sonic's Up throw.
Oh I forgot about the up throw. But I said I think the Amy echo would be more widely appreciated than a Tails echo imo

I don't think Metal can do Sonic's Up throw.
Add his electric field thing he does in his attacks

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Here's Tails in Green Hill Zone stage:

https://youtu.be/GBgTLfrGqwI?t=31s

Not a definitive disconfirm, just look at Toon Link in the train stage, but I wonder if Sakurai and co saw that as good enough for representing Sonic's friends. Would they have done changes when bringing GHZ to Ultimate?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

I could see Amy briefly changing her hair to resemble her Sonic CD look to emulate Sonic's up throw. But then, it would be a waste if she didn't use her hammer.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Tails will be cool to see in Smash. He and Eggman are the only non-clone characters from this series I can dig. I made this for you guys

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Here's Tails in Green Hill Zone stage:

https://youtu.be/GBgTLfrGqwI?t=31s

Not a definitive disconfirm, just look at Toon Link in the train stage, but I wonder if Sakurai and co saw that as good enough for representing Sonic's friends. Would they have done changes when bringing GHZ to Ultimate?
Knuckles is both an Assist Trophy and still makes an appearance in the background of that stage. While it doesn't really affect Tails' chances, it does set the precedent in this game that a character in the background of GHZ can have another role without any issues.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Knuckles is both an Assist Trophy and still makes an appearance in the background of that stage. While it doesn't really affect Tails' chances, it does set the precedent in this game that a character in the background of GHZ can have another role without any issues.
Oh, thank GOD I can still have my Cranky Kong while he also appears in the background of Jungle Japes... heh.

I'm not much of a Sonic fan by any means, but I do like Tails, and when I take a look at the Sonic series as a whole, and how I remember it as a child... Tails was definitely what Luigi is to Mario for Sonic. The sidekick, the #2, the second to make it into Smash, deservedly so... So, when I started to hear all this talk about Shadow the Hedgehog being the second Sonic rep, I got a little, y'know, annoyed. And this is coming from someone who isn't even a Sonic fan!! You just don't do that!! If your series has a sidekick, that should be straight up the second rep for that series! BAH!! So yeah, hoping if Sonic does get another character, Tails is first in line. He could even be a semi-clone (or echo, if they'll allow a couple differences...).

Just... blegh, I don't like Shadow at all. We already have Dark Pit, that's more than enough...

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Oh, thank GOD I can still have my Cranky Kong while he also appears in the background of Jungle Japes... heh.

I'm not much of a Sonic fan by any means, but I do like Tails, and when I take a look at the Sonic series as a whole, and how I remember it as a child... Tails was definitely what Luigi is to Mario for Sonic. The sidekick, the #2, the second to make it into Smash, deservedly so... So, when I started to hear all this talk about Shadow the Hedgehog being the second Sonic rep, I got a little, y'know, annoyed. And this is coming from someone who isn't even a Sonic fan!! You just don't do that!! If your series has a sidekick, that should be straight up the second rep for that series! BAH!! So yeah, hoping if Sonic does get another character, Tails is first in line. He could even be a semi-clone (or echo, if they'll allow a couple differences...).

Just... blegh, I don't like Shadow at all. We already have Dark Pit, that's more than enough...
I'm with you there on everything (even Cranky, lol).

Tails has more star power than most of the cast already in the game, so passing him up for a cheap clone doesn't sit to well with me.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tails still technically survives. Though it's still looking even more likely Shadow will be the 2nd rep after Richter's reveal.

Still it's surprising to note that we now know Echoes don't have to have all the same moves as their counterpart as shown with Chrom. If Tails got in as an echo where his recovery move is way different then Sonic's while most of his moves are still similar to Sonic. I could accept that for sure. But Shadow would still be just much more simple to add as an echo I imagine

I'll still cross my fingers that through some miracle they're planning DLC character packs. I think I've mentioned it before. But a luigified/semi-clone Tails packaged with an Echo fighter Shadow would be supreme.

I think the only real thread Tails over Shadow fans have left is Tails got a Mii costume but Shadow didn't. And many of the newcomers all had Mii Costumes in Smash 4 (Though certainly not a reflection of everything given characters like Ashley and Takamaru still didn't make it). But I don't think it's that strong of a point. Maybe Tails still has a shot at DLC even if Shadow makes it in as an Echo since this Smash definitely isn't limiting itself on the 3rd Party front. (We already have NINE 3rd parties already set for the Base game. NINE!)

PikachuGaming64

Smash Rookie
I can see either Tails or Eggman being a second Sonic character.

Tails because he's one of the most iconic sidekicks in all of gaming.

And Eggman because he's one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming.

I lean towards Dr. Eggman myself, but I would not complain about Tails at all.[/QUOTE
I can see either Tails or Eggman being a second Sonic character.

Tails because he's one of the most iconic sidekicks in all of gaming.

And Eggman because he's one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming.

I lean towards Dr. Eggman myself, but I would not complain about Tails at all.
Well I think for me it’s either shadow or tails for a other sonic fighter in smash

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
9 / 73 = 0.12328767123

So about 12% is third party. That's not too bad. If another third-party character is added as the next, that would be 14%. If one first-party was added with the next third-party, it would be 13%. Yep, we should be good for more third-parties like Tails.

SonicMario

Smash Master
9 / 73 = 0.12328767123

So about 12% is third party. That's not too bad. If another third-party character is added as the next, that would be 14%. If one first-party was added with the next third-party, it would be 13%. Yep, we should be good for more third-parties like Tails.
That reminds me. The big jump in 3rd party content in not just characters but content in general actually has left me more hopeful for Tails to get in even if Shadow gets in the base game as an Echo. Cause there's still possible DLC.

Though I've also felt that if there's any upsets this speculation period on the level of expecting Chrom but instead got Robin / Lucina. Tails being Sonic's echo instead of Shadow and Shadow still being an Assist Trophy is one possibility. The mii costume thing I mentioned already in my last post in this thread plus there are still some Assist Trophies we haven't seen still leave the possibility Shadow's still an AT as we haven't seen Elec Man (Not that I'm saying Elec Man and Shadow are on the same level, there's no way Elec Man becomes playable. While Shadow has been a popular request).

I'm still expecting Shadow to be Sonic's echo, but the possibility of an upset is there.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me. The big jump in 3rd party content in not just characters but content in general actually has left me more hopeful for Tails to get in even if Shadow gets in the base game as an Echo. Cause there's still possible DLC.

Though I've also felt that if there's any upsets this speculation period on the level of expecting Chrom but instead got Robin / Lucina. Tails being Sonic's echo instead of Shadow and Shadow still being an Assist Trophy is one possibility. The mii costume thing I mentioned already in my last post in this thread plus there are still some Assist Trophies we haven't seen still leave the possibility Shadow's still an AT as we haven't seen Elec Man (Not that I'm saying Elec Man and Shadow are on the same level, there's no way Elec Man becomes playable. While Shadow has been a popular request).

I'm still expecting Shadow to be Sonic's echo, but the possibility of an upset is there.
The Mii thing is a good point. I still believe shadow has more of a chance over Tails in my opinion but at least with the Mii fighter being in the last game has acknowledge the tails fan base. I would love to get both ( and Silver) but having 3 (4) sonic reps may upset some people.

Has anyone thought of a Character having 2 echos? Could that be possible?

With Chrom I feel like anything could happen.

Top Bottom