• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

SonicMario

Smash Master
Skull Kid is actualy who I'm expecting most. Maybe that's because I don't entirely buy the music theory just yet. But if it's not Skull Kid I'll at least be surprised right? (I won't be disappointed if it's Skull Kid though. It's about time Zelda got something other then the Triforce 3)

2nd place behind Skull Kid in expectations is Isaac.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm sticking with my gut here and saying that I absolutely do not expect Skull Kid or Dee tomorrow. I fully expect them to stay true to the one song per franchise on the website.

These are my guesses
Geno
Elma
Isaac
Pokemon Rep
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Some other 3rd party

Out of them all. I really kinda want it to be Geno so that we have stronger evidence regarding the Mii Costume theory.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If there's any major Sega-related releases featuring Sonic and Tails, maybe they could tie it together with a reveal for Smash? Though honestly it's hard to say - I'm not expecting too much from tomorrow - at least not Smash-related. I wouldn't put his chances down by much if he isn't revealed tomorrow.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I retract my comment about Tails not being likely for a reveal tomorrow.
I did just remember Ridley and Dark Samus not being announced together. Tails could just be revealed by himself and Shadow could be teased but we have no info on him/or revealed after when they are showing off other Echo's.
Still, it would make more announce Tails with Shadow(and actually show off his gameplay, so we know what he plays like).
So now I'm mixed.
Realistically, what are Tails chances of being announced tomorrow?
Hmmmm..... That's a hard question for me really. There's a chance but that's it. Not guaranteed but not impossible either.
Sonic 2 was recently revealed for the Sega Ages collection which is Tails' debut game, but a the same time if both Tails and Shadow are joining Smash it'd make sense announce them together with actual information on how both of them play, instead of teasing Shadow at the end(like the idea I had above)
A 50/50 I guess.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm not expecting anything Sonic unless they have a new trailer for Team Sonic Racing in this direct. (To be fair, that doesn't have an exact release date yet so it could be revealed here. It's still slated for December this year though probably later in the month because otherwise it's competing with Smash Ultimate itself)

I don't even expect Shadow's echo fighter reveal in this one I feel if that's happening that's better saved for the final Smash direct before launch with the final echo fighter reveals.

I do not think Tails is being revealed tomorrow. I have definitely resigned already that we'd likely have to wait for DLC if Tails happens at all. But I'd love to be wrong.

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
With Shadow almost being confirmed, I'm almost certain that it's impossible. No third party should have three reps from one series.

But I'll support it anyway.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
What I am hoping for tomorrow is a trailer where characters are trying to fight off Dr. Eggman then Tails comes in to help fight and then Shadow comes in to help. At the end of the trailer, it gets revealed that tails and shadow are both playable with Dr. Eggman as a boss.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Guys the idea of Tails in a mech from SA2 is sounding better and better if we get a Dr. Eggman echo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
With Shadow almost being confirmed, I'm almost certain that it's impossible. No third party should have three reps from one series.
Thing is, people said the same thing about companies getting more then one character in. Then :ultryu: happened

People said the character had to have a high presence on Nintendo consoles, then :ultcloud: happened

People said the character had to be iconic to all of gaming. Then :ultbayonetta: happened (Though that's arguably a special case)

And finally, people said a 3rd party franchise couldn't get two reps and/or they wouldn't be allowed to be echoes. Then :ultrichter: happened.

A 3rd party not getting three reps and/or must be an echo at this point sounds like moving the goal posts and could easily be broken by the time Ultimate's character adding days are done. And if it's at all broken, Tails has some of the highest chances of being the one that does it. While I doubt Tails is in the base game, he still has a shot at DLC regardless if Shadow is an echo in the base game.

Chrono.

Sonic getting 3 characters isn't that weird. He's been there since Brawl and Castlevania debuted with two characters. It getting 1 unique and 1 echo would be fine.

Anyways I don't think Tails or Shadow are getting shown tomorrow. I'm betting on a 1st party character.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
As much as I want to support Tails, I feel like Shadow is substantially more likely to get in.

SonicMario

Smash Master
As much as I want to support Tails, I feel like Shadow is substantially more likely to get in.
Again, why exactly can't we get both?

Shadow's just going to be an easy echo that won't play all that different from Sonic. And as Chrono pointed out, Sonic has perfect attendance since Brawl. Now that we know 3rd party franchises can get more then one character thanks to Richter. Richter may have been an echo but there still might of at least some degree of needing to negotiate for him too along Simon due to Japanese requests since it's that region's favorite Belmont. Exactly why can't we get Tails too?

Don't forget, Tails got a Mii costume alongside Knuckles while Shadow did not at all. Knuckles already got his upgrade through becoming an Assist. Won't it feel weird if Shadow and Knuckles both get upgrades, but Tails gets literally nothing else?

I'm not saying it's going to happen soon enough. I highly expect him to be more so a DLC candidate. But I'm just saying, having Tails and Shadow both is decently possible given Echo fighters don't take long. Hell, if Shadow's not in the base game. I think there's a decently good chance of a Sonic character pack come DLC time with Tails and Shadow together.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster

But I'll support it anyway.
No offense, but I think Shadow is no different to Tails when it comes to "almost being confirmed".

Both characters are top tier Sonic reps and both are basically MIA right now. One can say Shadow because he'd be an echo and his Assist trophy is missing, but another person can say that Tails has a Mii Costume and Shadow doesn't, and Mii costume characters have been getting into the game left and right.

On another topic, here are my percentages of who I think is getting in tomorrow.

Isaac 40%
Other 20%
Geno 15%
Elma 10%
Pokemon Rep 10%
Tails 4.5%
Bandanna Dee or Skull Kid 0.5%

Most importantly, if we get more echos and they're not Shadow tomorrow... our chances of Tails being in the game will go up by a lot. It's going to be way less coincidental that they aren't showing him yet if that's the case. So even if we don't get Tails tomorrow, I'll call that a huge win in my book if what I just said happens.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Both characters are top tier Sonic reps and both are basically MIA right now.
I think someone mentioned that Tails was seen on GHZ in one of the gameplay vids.

Still, Knux has two roles, and it doesn’t preclude the fact they may have ported the stage and neglected/forgot to turn him off. I haven’t seen it.

I’ve never been big on the ‘background characters are forever disconfirmed’ train, but I will admit it’s not looking good. Still, leaving Tails stuck in the back while Shadow and Knux are promoted? WTF!?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think someone mentioned that Tails was seen on GHZ in one of the gameplay vids.

Still, Knux has two roles, and it doesn’t preclude the fact they may have ported the stage and neglected/forgot to turn him off. I haven’t seen it.

I’ve never been big on the ‘background characters are forever disconfirmed’ train, but I will admit it’s not looking good. Still, leaving Tails stuck in the back while Shadow and Knux are promoted? WTF!?
Do you realize how big of a red flag it would be if they took Tails out of the background and not Knuckles or Silver? That would basically flat out spoil the fact that he's a playable character no doubt.

That alone should prove to you that the background character deconfirmation... especially on an old stage, means absolutely nothing

Chrono.

There's only two real instances I see stage characters deconfirm them as playable:
- They're in a brand new stage (like Captain Toad in New Donk)
- They're an active hazard of the stage (like Tingle in Great Bay or Flying Man in Magicant)

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
There's only two real instances I see stage characters deconfirm them as playable:
- They're in a brand new stage (like Captain Toad in New Donk)
- They're an active hazard of the stage (like Tingle in Great Bay or Flying Man in Magicant)
the second criteria I agree with, the first not so much considering when Spirit Tracks was revealed, Toon Link hadn't been confirmed yet. though if we were to nit-pick, Toon Link was a returning character at that point, and not a newcomer.

i'm actually hoping we get a wild card newcomer this time around, something that'd make the newcomers less predictable. though this may just be me wanting my now obscure picks to be chosen over the more popular/bandwagon-y crowd.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Just got on here to say I support, as no character deserves a spot more than sonic’s Luigi at this point.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Realistically, what are Tails chances of being announced tomorrow?
Realistically, I'd say no better or worse than usual. Tails is a bit of a wild card as he is immensely iconic and holds a strong popularity, but not the largest vocal demand in the Smash community.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I will say that for this direct specifically, Tails is more likely than Skull Kid or Bandanna Dee. So that's saying something.

Anyways, it's time to go unlock Tails, everyone. Boot up yer copies of Melee and score 20 KO's in cruel Melee before the direct starts.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I will say that for this direct specifically, Tails is more likely than Skull Kid or Bandanna Dee. So that's saying something.

Anyways, it's time to go unlock Tails, everyone. Boot up yer copies of Melee and score 20 KO's in cruel Melee before the direct starts.
Heh, I haven't played Melee in over a decade.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
No idea who's gonna get announced today, but once again hoping for the Tails/Shadow combo if it comes to that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
So Isabelle was today and she was even at least a semi-clone and not an echo like expected.

The only thing it really means for Tails though is it's yet another Mii Costume promoted to Playable. (Though you could also say something similar for Shadow, since Isabelle is also another promoted assist trophy)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
As expected, no skull kid or bandanna dee. Animal crossing has not had a song on the website yet and this only proves vergeben is right once again. Music theory gets stronger and we still have yet to see a Sonic song.

Tails chances have gone up after this direct for sure.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
As expected, no skull kid or bandanna dee. Animal crossing has not had a song on the website yet and this only proves vergeben is right once again. Music theory gets stronger and we still have yet to see a Sonic song.

So what musics are left?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Next week is most likely going to be an Animal Crossing remix with Isabelle's reveal. Like how we got the DK remix a week after K. Rool was revealed.

I am now kinda starting to lean towards believing the music theory but I don't want to be too sure and it still might not mean much of anything for Sonic even if it's 100% the case. (It could be just Pokemon and Xenoblade that's left for newcomers and that's it. I don't think Star Fox, Wii Fit, Wario, Kid Icarus and MOTHER are getting newcomers other then maybe Ninten as an echo)

GlitchWarrior

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3540-4749-2681
I take back what I said, this isn't about representation, Sega can have as many Sonic reps as they see fit. Still SUPPORTED TO HECK.

And for the record, anyone who thinks Tails can't make it in because he's in GHZ's background clearly didn't realize that Nintendo can just cut him out if he's not there. Remember the Spirit Train stage from 3DS (which is returning in SSBU)? When Toon wasn't in play, he drove the train, but when he was, Alfonzo took over.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Next week is most likely going to be an Animal Crossing remix with Isabelle's reveal. Like how we got the DK remix a week after K. Rool was revealed.

I am now kinda starting to lean towards believing the music theory but I don't want to be too sure and it still might not mean much of anything for Sonic even if it's 100% the case. (It could be just Pokemon and Xenoblade that's left for newcomers and that's it. I don't think Star Fox, Wii Fit, Wario, Kid Icarus and MOTHER are getting newcomers other then maybe Ninten as an echo)
Idk about Xenoblade. Elma is not popular in the slightest and she never got any sort of mii costume in the game. Pokémon is basically given due to Vergeben.

Like I said, the longer we go without getting sonic music, the more likely Tails is.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Isabelle proves that similar characters don't have to be echos. This work in Tails' favor as now a semi-clone Tails is just as likely as an Echo Shadow.

Chrono.

Isabelle proves that similar characters don't have to be echos. This work in Tails' favor as now a semi-clone Tails is just as likely as an Echo Shadow.
Kinda works in Shadow's favor too tbf. Both them have played like Sonic and both have diverged from their roles in the future.

But either way I still think the likeliest scenario is that we're getting both. Shadow as the echo and Tails as a Wolf/Falco level semi-clone. That said, it'd be more interesting if we got things switched up on us and both Shadow and Tails get the Falco/Wolf treatment.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up juuuuust yet though.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Kinda works in Shadow's favor too tbf. Both them have played like Sonic and both have diverged from their roles in the future.

But either way I still think the likeliest scenario is that we're getting both. Shadow as the echo and Tails as a Wolf/Falco level semi-clone. That said, it'd be more interesting if we got things switched up on us and both Shadow and Tails get the Falco/Wolf treatment.

Its possible, I think one thing is for certain is that we’re at least getting one of them. They also don’t usually save the music for an echo. The only way tails won’t get in if they don’t show us a sonic song is if shadow gets in as a semi clone by himself... which is... possible.

That’s the only outcome I see for tails not making it. Shadow solo semi clone.

We have hope boys. I think we’re more likely than Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and Skull kid at this point. Like super confident.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Well, that was certainly an interesting Direct. It was actually pretty good. Though there a LOT of Square titles at the end. To be honest with you I was expecting a Geno/Sora reveal instead of Isabelle.
Still, Isabelle looks freaking adorable. Smash really is bringing the adorable characters too. Pichu, Zelda and now Isabelle. If Tails joins it'll be complete I tell you.
Although I cant understand the hate for Isabelle. Everyone should be glad we at least got Smash news. I think everyone is forgetting this is a normal Direct, not a Smash Direct. Hell that reveal caught me off guard. It wasn't as good as something like K.Rool's or Simon's reveal, but it's pretty hard to top that trailers. AND WE GOT A NEW ANIMAL CROSSING TO TOP IT OFF WITH. I'm no AC fan but it was still hype. This community is ungrateful let me tell you.

I too am starting to believe Vergeban. Then again this could completely be like the Gemastu leak(Though in the code of Smash 4 there was a placeholder for a Rthymth Heaven character and Chrom was originally planned for Smash 4, so there is still a chance it was real)
Both Shadow's and Tails' chances have definitely risen. This is playing in their favour right now.
Its possible, I think one thing is for certain is that we’re at least getting one of them. They also don’t usually save the music for an echo. The only way tails won’t get in if they don’t show us a sonic song is if shadow gets in as a semi clone by himself... which is... possible.

That’s the only outcome I see for tails not making it. Shadow solo semi clone.

We have hope boys. I think we’re more likely than Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and Skull kid at this point. Like super confident.
I can see Shadow getting a Wolf treatment since Isabelle isn't an Echo for Villager. But I'm still leaning towards a unique Tails.
I'm still hoping for a Tails/Shadow Dual reveal.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well, that was certainly an interesting Direct. It was actually pretty good. Though there a LOT of Square titles at the end. To be honest with you I was expecting a Geno/Sora reveal instead of Isabelle.
Still, Isabelle looks freaking adorable. Smash really is bringing the adorable characters too. Pichu, Zelda and now Isabelle. If Tails joins it'll be complete I tell you.
Although I cant understand the hate for Isabelle. Everyone should be glad we at least got Smash news. I think everyone is forgetting this is a normal Direct, not a Smash Direct. Hell that reveal caught me off guard. It wasn't as good as something like K.Rool's or Simon's reveal, but it's pretty hard to top that trailers. AND WE GOT A NEW ANIMAL CROSSING TO TOP IT OFF WITH. I'm no AC fan but it was still hype. This community is ungrateful let me tell you.

I too am starting to believe Vergeban. Then again this could completely be like the Gemastu leak(Though in the code of Smash 4 there was a placeholder for a Rthymth Heaven character and Chrom was originally planned for Smash 4, so there is still a chance it was real)
Both Shadow's and Tails' chances have definitely risen. This is playing in their favour right now.

I can see Shadow getting a Wolf treatment since Isabelle isn't an Echo for Villager. But I'm still leaning towards a unique Tails.
I'm still hoping for a Tails/Shadow Dual reveal.
I think people were only disappointed by Isabelle because everyone was expecting her to be an echo, so this caught everyone off guard. Just goes to show how much people dislike semi clone characters if they don’t have the “echo fighter” title next to them.

Also there was no CGI trailer. That could also be why.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think people were only disappointed by Isabelle because everyone was expecting her to be an echo, so this caught everyone off guard. Just goes to show how much people dislike semi clone characters if they don’t have the “echo fighter” title next to them.

Also there was no CGI trailer. That could also be why.
That's because echoes I guess weren't considered as much as competition for their favorites since they don't take too long being nearly 100% the same as the fighter they're based on. Meanwhile Isabelle actually being separate is a "threat" because it dwindles down whatever remaining spaces there might be for base game true newcomers (Non-echoes I mean)

I don't think that myself. I think Isabelle's a good addition. Get Tails in there too and you can have a team of semi-clone cute yellow-orange anthro characters as a potential Smash friendship.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
One thing to take note from this is that Isabelle was already widely used by Nintendo before, as she appeared in Mario Kart 8 DLC. She was also one of the few characters to have a Mii Fighter DLC costume BEFORE the Ballot began. Don't get me wrong, she probably did good on the ballot, but most likely wasn't chosen by the ballot alone. I think further evidence to back this up is that she was paired with the Animal Crossing 2019 announcement. Seems more like a marketing decision than it was for a ballot decision IMO.

And yes, because she's not an echo and took up today's character reveal, she did take a "slot".

If we are to say.... have two more smash directs that both reveal two newcomers each (which is being generous enough already), that leaves 4 newcomers.

One of these 4 easily goes to a new Pokmeon. Vergeben said so and you can't really not follow the guy anymore after he continues to get things right.
Another one is the 2nd Square Rep, most likely Geno. That's the 2nd slot.

That really only leaves us with 2 new characters left. One of which could very possibly be a Tails/Shadow combination reveal. As for the last one, I'm not sure.

So here's a couple of things I've come to realize.
1. Any Series that has a song on the website already will not get a newcomer: Every newcomer so far has not had their series represented with a song on the website beforehand and has came with a song. I think this will be even more confirmed if they do infact, give us an Animal Crossing song next week. This means that I do not think that Skull Kid or Bandanna Dee will be getting in the base game.
2. Any Character that requires a new stage to come along with them will not be in the game: No signs of new stages and the fact that they were counted in the August direct I think really means something. You also don't need new stages for Pokemon, Geno, and Tails/Shadow. This means I do not think that characters like Banjo or Heihachi are going to be in the base game.

Of the remaining series that don't have music on the website, we have. (Excluding Bayonetta or FF, which has been confirmed to have no new songs),
:ultlittlemac::ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ultpit::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultfox::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultmario:(Mario Kart)

That's 13 franchises with 12 Wednesdays left before release. Not all of these series are confirmed to have new songs btw)

Of those 13, I'm predicting that at least these 7 series won't have characters tied to them.
:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultpacman::ultfox::ultmario:(Mario Kart)

While these 6 have a higher possibility. Listed from most likely to least likely.
:ultvillager: (Confirmed Isabelle, their song will most likely show up next week)
:ultpokemontrainer: (Gen 7)
:ultsonic: (Tails, Shadow)
:ultshulk: (Elma, Rex)
:ultness: (Ninten Semi-Clone, Porky, Masked Man)
:ultpit: (Magnus, Viridi)

I personally don't think that anything below Xenoblade will have a new character, but it was worth listing anyways. We'll have to see where they go in these next following weeks of September. I still think it's a little too difficult to put the puzzle together quite just yet. We need a few more pieces. But just thought I'd share this information anyways.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

It could help him, but I see it more hindering as now he has real competition. Shadow's biggest boon was being the easiest to make an Echo of, which is still true, but before, we weren't seeing a similar, but more different character (semi-clone) as plausible. Now we have precedent that the could go either the echo or semi-clone route and that means Shadow isn't the guarantee we saw him as before because now he does have potential semi-clones that are just as viable.

I'm not saying Tails is in and Shadow is out, but he isn't the only kid on the block anymore. The possibility of him not showing actually has increased.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
It could help him, but I see it more hindering as now he has real competition. Shadow's biggest boon was being the easiest to make an Echo of, which is still true, but before, we weren't seeing a similar, but more different character (semi-clone) as plausible. Now we have precedent that the could go either the echo or semi-clone route and that means Shadow isn't the guarantee we saw him as before because now he does have potential semi-clones that are just as viable.

I'm not saying Tails is in and Shadow is out, but he isn't the only kid on the block anymore. The possibility of him not showing actually has increased.
to be fair, it's not like we don't already have Semi-clones in the game already (Dr. Mario, the Links, the Starfox characters). I think everyone has been sleeping on Semi-clones in speculation, which is why i think Isabelle's gameplay was such a surprise.

I actually think the Semi-clone route would be good for Tails' chances. it'd retain the core aspects of what makes Tails a Sonic character, while still letting him expand on the aspects that make him so different from Sonic. (Assuming they don't make him his own original character that is.)

Top Bottom