• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
to be fair, it's not like we don't already have Semi-clones in the game already (Dr. Mario, the Links, the Starfox characters). I think everyone has been sleeping on Semi-clones in speculation, which is why i think Isabelle's gameplay was such a surprise.

I actually think the Semi-clone route would be good for Tails' chances. it'd retain the core aspects of what makes Tails a Sonic character, while still letting him expand on the aspects that make him so different from Sonic. (Assuming they don't make him his own original character that is.)
I agree. I think the general consensus was that Echos would be replacing Semi-Clones this time around, especially since we hadn't gotten entirely new ones since Brawl with Lucas and Wolf (Smash 4 and Ultimate only modified existing clones instead of creating a new Semi outright).

Chrono.

I agree. I think the general consensus was that Echos would be replacing Semi-Clones this time around, especially since we hadn't gotten entirely new ones since Brawl with Lucas and Wolf (Smash 4 and Ultimate only modified existing clones instead of creating a new Semi outright).
Nah, we got Roy in 4.

People always kinda overlook him for some reason lol.

EDIT: Oh wait you meant debuting a new character nvm

Last edited:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
One thing to take note from this is that Isabelle was already widely used by Nintendo before, as she appeared in Mario Kart 8 DLC. She was also one of the few characters to have a Mii Fighter DLC costume BEFORE the Ballot began. Don't get me wrong, she probably did good on the ballot, but most likely wasn't chosen by the ballot alone. I think further evidence to back this up is that she was paired with the Animal Crossing 2019 announcement. Seems more like a marketing decision than it was for a ballot decision IMO.

And yes, because she's not an echo and took up today's character reveal, she did take a "slot".

If we are to say.... have two more smash directs that both reveal two newcomers each (which is being generous enough already), that leaves 4 newcomers.

One of these 4 easily goes to a new Pokmeon. Vergeben said so and you can't really not follow the guy anymore after he continues to get things right.
Another one is the 2nd Square Rep, most likely Geno. That's the 2nd slot.

That really only leaves us with 2 new characters left. One of which could very possibly be a Tails/Shadow combination reveal. As for the last one, I'm not sure.

So here's a couple of things I've come to realize.
1. Any Series that has a song on the website already will not get a newcomer: Every newcomer so far has not had their series represented with a song on the website beforehand and has came with a song. I think this will be even more confirmed if they do infact, give us an Animal Crossing song next week. This means that I do not think that Skull Kid or Bandanna Dee will be getting in the base game.
2. Any Character that requires a new stage to come along with them will not be in the game: No signs of new stages and the fact that they were counted in the August direct I think really means something. You also don't need new stages for Pokemon, Geno, and Tails/Shadow. This means I do not think that characters like Banjo or Heihachi are going to be in the base game.

Of the remaining series that don't have music on the website, we have. (Excluding Bayonetta or FF, which has been confirmed to have no new songs),
:ultlittlemac::ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ultpit::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultfox::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultmario:(Mario Kart)

That's 13 franchises with 12 Wednesdays left before release. Not all of these series are confirmed to have new songs btw)

Of those 13, I'm predicting that at least these 7 series won't have characters tied to them.
:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultpacman::ultfox::ultmario:(Mario Kart)

While these 6 have a higher possibility. Listed from most likely to least likely.
:ultvillager: (Confirmed Isabelle, their song will most likely show up next week)
:ultpokemontrainer: (Gen 7)
:ultsonic: (Tails, Shadow)
:ultshulk: (Elma, Rex)
:ultness: (Ninten Semi-Clone, Porky, Masked Man)
:ultpit: (Magnus, Viridi)

I personally don't think that anything below Xenoblade will have a new character, but it was worth listing anyways. We'll have to see where they go in these next following weeks of September. I still think it's a little too difficult to put the puzzle together quite just yet. We need a few more pieces. But just thought I'd share this information anyways.
Maybe some of these could relate to some missing stages as well.

:ultmario:(mario ksrt) - Rainbow Road Stage (plz plz plz)
:ultpacman:- this one could be Ms. Pac-Man or Pac Maze. I would love to see both, Especially, Pac-Maze since I never played smash for 3DS.
:ultfox:-Orbital Gate Assult or Sector Z. This could be a new character but I am not sure if I see a new character from Starfox anytime soon.

Do you have the a list of the week order the songs were shown off relative to character annoucements? That would help a lot. Thank you.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do definitely think Isabelle does bode well at least by a little more for Tails' chances

1. Isabelle is yet another upgraded Mii costume
2. Not a particularly loud support base compared to the likes of Ridley and K. Rool. But certainly a face of their franchise and likely a solid enough support base for Smash even if not as big as the aforementioned fan favorites
3. Not all newcomers that are somewhat cloned have to be echoes anymore. That's absolutely awesome for the fears of say Dixie Kong being relegated to an echo because Echo Fighters were started to be considered the only type of clone that could happen in Ultimate (Not counting veterans). If Dixie Kong can get her flying recovery it should just be about golden for Tails sooner or later. Combining Sonic's moveset with Dixie's potential recovery would be perfect for Tails.

Of course counters to this would certainly be that Tails isn't first party. So 3rd party clones may not get the same treatment. But we once thought 3rd party franchises couldn't get echoes or 2nd representatives in general until :ultrichter: showed up. Once again, it's something the community may doubt that Tails can easily break through. Even if it takes until DLC to do it.

Maybe some of these could relate to some missing stages as well.

:ultmario:(mario ksrt) - Rainbow Road Stage (plz plz plz)
:ultpacman:- this one could be Ms. Pac-Man or Pac Maze. I would love to see both, Especially, Pac-Maze since I never played smash for 3DS.
:ultfox:-Orbital Gate Assult or Sector Z. This could be a new character but I am not sure if I see a new character from Starfox anytime soon.

Do you have the a list of the week order the songs were shown off relative to character annoucements? That would help a lot. Thank you.
I don't think we're getting any more returning stages until maybe DLC. Sakurai seemed pretty clear about the 103. And that might even be bad news for people hoping to get a character that would have to come with a stage. (Which puts doubt on Isaac and unrepresented 3rd parties until DLC)

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Keep on keepin' on; I'd say Tails' chances are helped greatly by Isabelle's inclusion seeing she was also given the Mii Fighter treatment.

volbound1700

Smash Master
We will see... I am not sure that we are getting more characters in the base game. Isabella is development time not going to other characters. I think we will still get some great DLC content.

SonicMario

Smash Master
We will see... I am not sure that we are getting more characters in the base game. Isabella is development time not going to other characters. I think we will still get some great DLC content.
I think we would know if Isabelle was the last character. I think for the last character of base game. Sakurai will give a special notice "This next character is the final character in the game/base game" (They may just say game that might make us freak out that no DLC is coming and thus make the announcement of Ultimate's first DLC feel like more of surprise, but until Sakurai explicitly outright says DLC is not happening for Ultimate for whatever reason. We can still assume it's coming sooner or later) kinda like Sakurai saying final character prior to Bayonetta's reveal in the final Smash 4 direct.

Isabelle does decently help Tails chances though possibly not enough to say base game-wise. But Tails definitely feels like he has more of a shot. Maybe even arguably just as much as Shadow showing up sooner or later.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do see Tails name popping up more but I just think Shadow is more likely as he was discussed more often in the Smash 4 era. Tails is really hyped now since the Richter announcement. The hype was great enough in the Smash 4 era and time leading up to this game when Sakurai and team were developing the game. Our only hope is that SEGA encouraged Nintendo to put Tails in over Shadow.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I do see Tails name popping up more but I just think Shadow is more likely as he was discussed more often in the Smash 4 era. Tails is really hyped now since the Richter announcement. The hype was great enough in the Smash 4 era and time leading up to this game when Sakurai and team were developing the game. Our only hope is that SEGA encouraged Nintendo to put Tails in over Shadow.
Tails got a mii costume, Shadow did not. Tails definitely must of had some presence in the ballot being among the last Mii costumes.

And like I've said before, we can get both Tails and Shadow (as long as the latter is an echo anyway). Even if one or the other is saved for DLC.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Considering they still have yet to discuss the new smash mode, that ensures that there will be at least one more Smash direct. There is 100% certainty that there will be more characters revealed for the base game.

This part is just speculation, but I believe that Sakurai will try to get the whole 80+ characters so he can have a nice round number to brag about, just like how he did with 100+ stages. Currently, the website says we're at 72 right now. That leaves 8 characters left, whether they'd be Echo Fighters or newcomers.

Here's what I think.
1. Gen 7
2. Ken (Echo)
3. Tails
4. Shadow (Echo)
5. Geno
6. Lloyd
7. Black Knight (Echo)
8. ???

Chrono.

Considering they still have yet to discuss the new smash mode, that ensures that there will be at least one more Smash direct. There is 100% certainty that there will be more characters revealed for the base game.

This part is just speculation, but I believe that Sakurai will try to get the whole 80+ characters so he can have a nice round number to brag about, just like how he did with 100+ stages. Currently, the website says we're at 72 right now. That leaves 8 characters left, whether they'd be Echo Fighters or newcomers.

Here's what I think.
1. Gen 7
2. Ken (Echo)
3. Tails
4. Shadow (Echo)
5. Geno
6. Lloyd
7. Black Knight (Echo)
8. ???
8 could be Dante, I guess?

If you wanna subscribe to the new rumor I s'pose.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Dante would be pretty cool. It would also be proof that a single 3rd party company can have 3 unique characters. I'll take it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Here's what I think.
1. Gen 7
2. Ken (Echo)
3. Tails
4. Shadow (Echo)
5. Geno
6. Lloyd
7. Black Knight (Echo)
8. ???
Probably Heihachi because he was a Mii costume too.

Last edited:

Chrono.

This is... Interesting.

I'm just gonna paste the whole thing from the discussion thread (originally posted by Scoliosis Jones):

Logically, you'd want all characters to fit in the boxart especially when the focus is "everyone is here!" You wouldn't want 1 or 2 missing off to the side. It would just be weird design for something like this. Obviously, there are two open spots on that side, with Isabelle taking one of them. If Verg is right about Ken and Incineroar, and Ken would be the "Final" Echo and placed next to Ryu, then it seems as though Incineroar would take the last spot on the side we've seen.

This is what both sides of the boxart might look like.

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 7.48.50 PM.png

Considering he has gone quiet about a few things, I believe that the source that said there was an additional Square Enix character was either a faker, or had faulty information. Or...the first DLC character is from Square Enix.

For all we know, the boxart may not mean anything, but honestly something feels weird about it.

The September Direct wasn't a curveball. It was Isabelle. Last Direct was Simon and K.Rool. Each Direct has given us something that has been heavily considered based on credible leaks.

Make of it what you will, but everyone...and I mean EVERYONE who frequents these threads should be very careful with their expectations at this point.
It makes a good amount of sense. But I don't buy it yet as it can be edited/shrunken down and whatnot.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Oof. This is quite the dilemma. So many things just don't add up, though.

I'm very hardpressed to believe that the next Smash direct is only going to have 1 newcomer and 1 echo, when the previous one had 2 new characters and 3 echo fighters. This would also make Vergeben wrong with the Square Enix rep. While he did not say which character it was, I believe he never said that there WOULDN'T be one.

So much evidence was pointing towards a new Sonic character as well, what with the music theory. As well as the Geno Mii Costume splash screen thing.

I'm very well under the impression that you could just shrink the rows to add more....I dunno. But ho boy that's not going to be good for a lot of people if this is true.

EDIT: I'm looking into this more and well.... ****. This doesn't bode well for us... at all. For a lot of people really. I really kind of hope that Vergeben's pokemon prediction is wrong now...

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd be fine with that projected full roster. Sure it doesn't include our two-tailed Fox. But I always felt he would be saved for DLC if he ever got in this game anyway.

If this is indeed the full roster, at least Shadow fans will be in the same boat as us. Heck, maybe we can combine forces (Can we say... Sonic forces? :troll:) and try to get our Sonic character pack by requesting them both for DLC.

Chrono.

I guess, but it does kinda suck that he's essentially out of the running right after I thought he was at the likeliest. :p

Here's hoping DLC can pick up the slack.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm sorry, I can't buy this being the final full roster. Some of the devs didn't even know 'everyone is here!' and I'm expected to believe that the whole marketing department knows how many characters are left? And who's not getting echoes?

No.

They knew we'd go nuts trying to add up how many slots were left. Why would they just drop a full number on us when Sakurai's been so keen on keeping secretive about it? By this logic, Daisy, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, K.Rool, and Isabelle are all not in the game because this official art says so!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm sorry, I can't buy this being the final full roster. Some of the devs didn't even know 'everyone is here!' and I'm expected to believe that the whole marketing department knows how many characters are left? And who's not getting echoes?

No.

They knew we'd go nuts trying to add up how many slots were left. Why would they just drop a full number on us when Sakurai's been so keen on keeping secretive about it? By this logic, Daisy, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, K.Rool, and Isabelle are all not in the game because this official art says so!
I'm sorry but... the biggest evidence here to it being the final roster is the fact that they have a pattern of 9 fighters showing up on one side, and 9 fighters on the other. They rotate back and forth. This is true all the way up until Corrin, who shouldn't be on the side that we see. However, it just so happens that the 9 fighters before Corrin consists of Ryu... and Ken is already heavily rumored to be in the game by Vergeben. If he's actually on the other side, then this lines up perfectly.

That's something that this box art has over the "Everyone is here" thing.

Right now we and everyone else are going through the 5 stages of grief. Denial.
"Why would they frontload us with characters?"
"They always added more with the banner"
"How can they only show 1.5 more characters within the next 3 months?"

It is what it is. Kinda also explains that we probably have gotten all the stages in the game as well. I dunno man. I'm losing hope here. I think this is it...
You had no idea how much I want to combat this box art theory, but I just have to be real and honest with myself here.

All we can do now is pray that the remainder of Vergeben's sources are wrong and that our two tailed Fox fills out the last unknown newcomer slot.

EDIT: Let's just keep our chins up regardless. There are still many weeks to go and I'm not fully convinced Tails' chances are dead until I see a Sonic song on the website.

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice

No.

I agree with this, just keep in mind that the box art is a prototype, not the final product. it is very likely subject to change.

regardless we have roughly 3 months until the games release, and at the rate we've been getting reveals lately, i have my doubts that we'll only get 1 character by the end. I am almost certain we'll be getting another Smash Direct shortly before the games release, and I highly doubt we'll only get 1 new character and no echo fighters from a direct centered around Smash.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
But again, here's the thing. If it's some sort of mockup. WHY is Corrin out of pattern if it isn't considering a Ken echo on the other side? There would be no need to do that if this was just a mockup. Y'know?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm not really buying this box theory - no one actually knows what's on every side, and while it can be assumed the rest of the characters are on the other side, we know they'll have to make changes to accommodate any additional newcomers and potentially make room for others that are being developed behind closed doors. It seems way too obvious to show us something that could tell us there's only room for one or two characters left, and I highly doubt they'd make that kind of mistake.

So far I'm content with only Isabelle getting revealed during a regular Direct. I'm certain they've got more in store for a Smash-focused Direct in the coming months. It's not over 'til it's over.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm sorry but... the biggest evidence here to it being the final roster is the fact that they have a pattern of 9 fighters showing up on one side, and 9 fighters on the other. They rotate back and forth. This is true all the way up until Corrin, who shouldn't be on the side that we see. However, it just so happens that the 9 fighters before Corrin consists of Ryu... and Ken is already heavily rumored to be in the game by Vergeben. If he's actually on the other side, then this lines up perfectly.

That's something that this box art has over the "Everyone is here" thing.

Right now we and everyone else are going through the 5 stages of grief. Denial.
"Why would they frontload us with characters?"
"They always added more with the banner"
"How can they only show 1.5 more characters within the next 3 months?"

It is what it is. Kinda also explains that we probably have gotten all the stages in the game as well. I dunno man. I'm losing hope here. I think this is it...
You had no idea how much I want to combat this box art theory, but I just have to be real and honest with myself here.

All we can do now is pray that the remainder of Vergeben's sources are wrong and that our two tailed Fox fills out the last unknown newcomer slot.

EDIT: Let's just keep our chins up regardless. There are still many weeks to go and I'm not fully convinced Tails' chances are dead until I see a Sonic song on the website.
There is a major difference between 'denial' and 'skepticism.'

If it could be proven that this was the actual box - as in it was printed, packed, and shown off as a physical object and not just a rendered mockup - then there is more evidence of this being the case, but still leaves the possibility that not every character is shown on the box. We also don't know if there's anything else they are doing, e.g. putting the original 8 somewhere else. Can it be unquestionably said that the box looks exactly like is stated on all sides?

If the full CSS were printed out with a sign that said "Here's the final roster!" and then we said "this can't be right! There are more characters off to the side!" that's denial. But this box is a mockup for marketing purposes. Yes, it may be the final roster. Putting every nine characters on opposite sides is a strange enough choice that I could see being real. But (what amounts to) Sakurai coming out and saying "lol guys, we only have two characters left, and one of them is an echo of someone between Paly and Cloud!" is a bit out of character for him, particularly if he's trying to plug leaks left and right. Plus, with 2.5 months to go, having only 2 newcomer reveals, one an echo, seems low - it would then have made more sense to space out the reveals we've already had. Why were 5(!) characters revealed in August, when we could have just gotten Simon, Richter and Chrom and then save K.Rool and Dark Samus for a later reveal to space everything out a bit more and not make the reveals feel...top heavy. Every game so far has had a number of reveals right before release.

But again, here's the thing. If it's some sort of mockup. WHY is Corrin out of pattern if it isn't considering a Ken echo on the other side? There would be no need to do that if this was just a mockup. Y'know?
Just because there's evidence for one way does not imply that it is unabashedly right, nor is the other incontrovertibly wrong. Yes, it's a possibility this is it, I will completely admit that. But there is a possibility that this is not it, and it doesn't involve me looking at furniture or clouds to imagine answers. If this is it, I'll actually be fine with the roster as is - Ridley and K.Rool deserve it, and I'm loving Squirtle being back.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Tails got a mii costume, Shadow did not. Tails definitely must of had some presence in the ballot being among the last Mii costumes.

And like I've said before, we can get both Tails and Shadow (as long as the latter is an echo anyway). Even if one or the other is saved for DLC.
I would like that. I am just not getting my hopes up.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Jigglymaster Jigglymaster

The box theory + Verg's stuff also goes in line with the Music theory you've been pushing. Just not in Sonic's favor as you hoped. Unless by some miracle Tails is our final character. But based on music theory if it's not Tails (Which let's be honest is probably the case) then it's either a Gen 7 Pokemon, Elma or through some strange miracle an Earthbound or Kid Icarus newcomer.

So still going by this we won't get a Pokemon remix until the next character reveal. And even if it doesn't then that shifts to either Elma or Tails. (Remember according to this box theory Sonic isn't getting an echo. So Shadow's out of the running with this until DLC). But Pokemon's the most likely to get a newcomer out of what's left in the music theory.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Jigglymaster Jigglymaster

The box theory + Verg's stuff also goes in line with the Music theory you've been pushing. Just not in Sonic's favor as you hoped. Unless by some miracle Tails is our final character. But based on music theory if it's not Tails (Which let's be honest is probably the case) then it's either a Gen 7 Pokemon, Elma or through some strange miracle an Earthbound or Kid Icarus newcomer.

So still going by this we won't get a Pokemon remix until the next character reveal. And even if it doesn't then that shifts to either Elma or Tails. (Remember according to this box theory Sonic isn't getting an echo. So Shadow's out of the running with this until DLC). But Pokemon's the most likely to get a newcomer out of what's left in the music theory.
Can you explain the Box Theory? Why couldn't the character be Skull Kid or Banjo-Kazooie or Geno?

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
I don't see a pattern for what's on the box to begin with, it doesn't follow characters by series, by character number, by Unlockable/base roster, it's hard to follow for me. as for Corrin's misplacement, Corrin and Bayonetta were both post ballot characters, which would explain why Corrin is next to Bayonetta and not on the other side of the box.

if we get a fair amount of silence in the following months, then i'll start doubting, but right now, I think it's too soon to say.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The box theory is just the next "smashdown theory" tbh. Looks concerning at first glance; but just doesn't make sense from a purely logistical standpoint.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain the Box Theory? Why couldn't the character be Skull Kid or Banjo-Kazooie or Geno?
i believe the idea is that all the newcomers for this game are all on one side of the box. so it'd need to be an echo fighter of a character that's not present on the side of the box we can see.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The box theory goes like this. The sections are divided up like this With a set of 9. With either 3 or 6 on top and the other 6 or 3 in the row below

LEFT SIDE (Not shown in the image)
| 1 2 3 4 4e 5
6 7 8 |

|17 18 19
20 21 21e 22 23 24 |

| 32 33-35 36 37 38 39
40 41 42 | (Sonic's 9 is already set. Thus Sonic is not getting an echo in the base game)

|54 55 56
57 58 59 60 60e? 61 | Likely Ken here

RIGHT SIDE (The one actually showing in the image)
9 10 11 12 13 13e
14 15 16 |

|25 25e 26
27 28 28e 29 30 31|

|43 44 45 46 47 48
49 50 51-53 |

|62 63 64
65 66 66e 67 68 69? | Likely the Gen 7 Pokemon

volbound1700

Smash Master
Typically boxes just throw characters around to sale the product. I wouldn't read into a character being in a certain order.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It'd hard to understand the box theory at first, but it's pretty much what SonicMario stated. If it was nothing to look into, Corrin simply would have been the 9th character before transitioning back to the side we see and continuing with Bayonetta. But that isn't the case.

You just don't do 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 9, 9. That's also why all the newcomers are at the end, because they're the last 9, or rather, we've only gotten 7 of the last 9 on the box. 8/9 if you include Isabelle.

Whether you want to believe it or not. This is what I suggest.
Lower your expectations: Believe that we will only get Ken and 1 new character. Worst case scenario is that it happens and we've coped with the final roster months in advance and can start planning our DLC campaign. Best case scenario is that the box theory was wrong and we have way more to enjoy and look forward to as a surprise.
Keep an eye out for the music: This theory goes in line with the music theory, as Pokemon has not had a song on the website yet. If we get a pokemon song before a character reveal, that'll be good for us. If we get a sonic song before a character reveal, that will be bad for us.
Wait for the next direct announcement: If there really is only Ken and 1 echo left... theres only going to be one more smash direct for us to watch. If it doesn't happen in October, then it's most likely the case that this is all we're getting. If it DOES happen in October, we can allow ourselves to be highly skeptical of the box theory.

That's my advice for the situation we're in right now. Take it as you will.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
The box theory goes like this. The sections are divided up like this With a set of 9. With either 3 or 6 on top and the other 6 or 3 in the row below

(insert breakdown here.)
okay, i can see it kind of. it just comes off as strange to me how they split it, with all newcomers for this game on one side when they (almost) evenly split the newcomers across both sides of the box. it just feels weird. the quantity of new characters though makes sense with Sakurai's statement of "not expecting too many new challengers" in this case.

Whether you want to believe it or not. This is what I suggest.
Lower your expectations: Believe that we will only get Ken and 1 new character. Worst case scenario is that it happens and we've coped with the final roster months in advance and can start planning our DLC campaign. Best case scenario is that the box theory was wrong and we have way more to enjoy and look forward to as a surprise.
Keep an eye out for the music: This theory goes in line with the music theory, as Pokemon has not had a song on the website yet. If we get a pokemon song before a character reveal, that'll be good for us. If we get a sonic song before a character reveal, that will be bad for us.
Wait for the next direct announcement: If there really is only Ken and 1 echo left... theres only going to be one more smash direct for us to watch. If it doesn't happen in October, then it's most likely the case that this is all we're getting. If it DOES happen in October, we can allow ourselves to be highly skeptical of the box theory.

That's my advice for the situation we're in right now. Take it as you will.
honestly my expectations were rather low to begin with. I have my wants, but I'm just happy for a new game. hell i'm actually excited for Isabelle, and she's not that hype of a character.

The music theory is interesting, and i'm hoping it pans out differently than the box theory, while also being true. And since we just had a slew of directs, I'm not entirely sure how long to expect for more news.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The music theory is really the only thing we can do for the time being. Next week SHOULD be Animal Crossing music.

Anyways, I also do find it kind of funny that even though Tails' chances of being in the game took a drastic hit.... we're actually more likely than Shadow in the base game now.

Gotta feel bad for Shadow fans, though. He was considered a near lock and now there's a very high probability he won't be playable in the base game at all.

Chrono.

The music theory is really the only thing we can do for the time being. Next week SHOULD be Animal Crossing music.

Anyways, I also do find it kind of funny that even though Tails' chances of being in the game took a drastic hit.... we're actually more likely than Shadow in the base game now.

Gotta feel bad for Shadow fans, though. He was considered a near lock and now there's a very high probability he won't be playable in the base game at all.
I feel kinda bad myself. I had gotten pretty used to the idea of Shadow being there, even if he wasn't high up in my most wanted.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
I do definitely think Isabelle does bode well at least by a little more for Tails' chances

1. Isabelle is yet another upgraded Mii costume
2. Not a particularly loud support base compared to the likes of Ridley and K. Rool. But certainly a face of their franchise and likely a solid enough support base for Smash even if not as big as the aforementioned fan favorites
3. Not all newcomers that are somewhat cloned have to be echoes anymore. That's absolutely awesome for the fears of say Dixie Kong being relegated to an echo because Echo Fighters were started to be considered the only type of clone that could happen in Ultimate (Not counting veterans). If Dixie Kong can get her flying recovery it should just be about golden for Tails sooner or later. Combining Sonic's moveset with Dixie's potential recovery would be perfect for Tails.

Of course counters to this would certainly be that Tails isn't first party. So 3rd party clones may not get the same treatment. But we once thought 3rd party franchises couldn't get echoes or 2nd representatives in general until :ultrichter: showed up. Once again, it's something the community may doubt that Tails can easily break through. Even if it takes until DLC to do it.

I don't think we're getting any more returning stages until maybe DLC. Sakurai seemed pretty clear about the 103. And that might even be bad news for people hoping to get a character that would have to come with a stage. (Which puts doubt on Isaac and unrepresented 3rd parties until DLC)
I would like to point out that Isabelle was also an Assist Trophy, just like Shadow in Smash 4. Though you also make a counter-argument that Waluigi, Ashley and Lyn are all still Assist Trophies.
Though Isabelle being both an Assist Trophy and Mii Costume increases the idea for BOTH Tails and Shadow getting in a bit more, wehn I think about it.
Dixie being a Semi-Clone doesn't sound like a bad idea. Though it depends if Sakurai wasnts to add another DK rep since Zelda, Kirby and Pokemon have all let to get new reps.

Here's what I think.
1. Gen 7
2. Ken (Echo)
3. Tails
4. Shadow (Echo)
5. Geno
6. Lloyd
7. Black Knight (Echo)
8. ???
Everything but Black Knight I agree with. i don't think Black Knight should be a character. We already have like what seven Fire Emblem characters? Even then if we were to get a chaarcter from FE I'd want a non-Swordfighter like Hector. I can see Black Knight being a boss in Spirts though.

This is... Interesting.

I'm just gonna paste the whole thing from the discussion thread (originally posted by Scoliosis Jones):

It makes a good amount of sense. But I don't buy it yet as it can be edited/shrunken down and whatnot.
I'm not buying the whole box theory. To simply put it here's a comment on Gamexplain's video on it to explain why I disagree with this:
"Remember the Smash 4 website? Gave us 4 newcomers and 3 veterans with one empty space? Everyone thought Wolf was gonna come? Please stop. Slots mean NOTHING, ever!- Doctor Minjinx"
Also, I agree with CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica 's point. I mean if half of the developers didn't know tha everyone is returning (assuming that's true) I doubt marketers will know the full roster.
Even then, they might not even announce off all of the characters. Maybe they will be hidden away as unlockable meant to surprise people.
I mean it's not the first time they did that. They did it back in Brawl and if it wasn't for the pesky ERSB leak I guarantee you Nintendo would have tried to keep some of the leaked fighters a bit more of a secret.
Also, Sakurai said that every month they will unveil new information about the game. Assuming if we got a Smash Direct in either October or November there wouldn't be much information to unveil in the other month.
I'm starting to buy into the Music theory but not so much into the box theory.

If that's true then damn.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'll say this: The box theory at the very least likely makes Shadow less likely since it seems a very conscious choice to make it a set of 9 and the set Sonic's in seems obviously set already. It's also very likely Ken has been indirectly confirmed from this because only an echo of characters from 54-61 can be on that set of 9 maaaaaaaaaaybbbeeeeeeeee there's room for say... Medusa (Palutena), Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man, Celica or whatever Mage class Fire Emblem character (Robin), Malos (Shulk), or Zack Fair (Cloud) but Ken just makes a whole lot of sense.

Though I thought of this while in bed. Imagine if the final newcomer trailer is "the friends" as an opposite of the K. Rool Trailer and it shows the many Nintendo franchise friends in a clip show like we saw in that. And we get both Ryu & Ken and Sonic & Tails featured in it. I think that's the only way we can really hope for Tails still being in the base game. But I still think Tails will lose out ultimately to a Gen 7 Pokemon or Elma.

Top Bottom