• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

Takasmash

Smash Ace
So while it's one of those straw gasping things that likely won't matter, the stages point to Tails more then Shadow since one is retro and the other is neo-retro style and a game Tails appeared in that Shadow did not.
I get what your'e saying but I could see Sakurai revealing Shadow in Tails trailer not like how Dark Samus or Chrom were reveal it will be plan if Sakurai reveal Shadow that way.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, how many sonic characters are you all ok with having max?

Is two your max? Three, four, five?

Are their certain characters that will make you upset got in before others?
Honestly, if it were up to me, Sonic would have 5 playable fighters. It would cover the main faces of the series, in order, would be Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Knuckles and Amy. I'd rather keep Shadow out, but if he must be in, he'd be number six after the other five are in.

Realistically, I would think to see three at most with Shadow as the easy clone and Tails as a mostly unique fighter.

Fun stuff!

So considering that Sonic's colors haven't changed that much from his original blue, I tried to make a set of colors for our boi without going nuts with his orange. I did go a bit more intense than they were, but it's hard to just do different wristbands.

View attachment 161707

So:
  1. Default
  2. Green Chaos emeralds to go with Sonic's purple emerald recolor
  3. Purple fuzzy wristbands and a more purplish fur color to reference Blaze
  4. Vector's black wristbands and a darker, slightly greenish, color to go with it
  5. Blue glowy wristbands like Sonic's Crystal Ring one, but darker blue
  6. Gold rings and pinkish fur like Amy
  7. The red bands like the hands from the Sonic 2 Special Stage
  8. Sonic's Ark of the Cosmos bands, with a lighter fur like Silver.
Also calling @Venus of the Desert Bloom since you're collecting recolor sets.
Great job! They all look good, though I'm most drawn to the brown one (Number 7) since it reminds me of the old Dic cartoons.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Just out of curiosity, how many sonic characters are you all ok with having max?
the max i could see is 4, Sonic, Tails, Shadow and Knuckles in my opinion are the most popular characters, with Amy falling just short. but at the end of the day, i'm not the one making the game. Sakurai could add as many as he wanted and i'll be okay with it. (so long as one of those is Tails.)

I wonder why theres two Sonic Stages do that means is it possible that maybe Shadow wont be the only character thats joining. Can Tails could be joining in Ultimate I could see it then why bother bringing back Windy Hill Zone probably means nothing. Hey I want Tails in smash ultimate I would love it.
Having two stages is probably the most interesting thing in my opinion, considering Pac-Man could have just as easily had his 2 stages added, but didn't. What this means (to me at least) is that the Sonic franchise bares more weight than the other 3rd parties do, which in turn could mean it'd have more characters than the other 3rd party franchises. with Castlevania getting as much love as it has with 2 characters and a stage with tons of guest bosses, i don't see it out of the realm of possibility for Sonic to get one character over them.

Fun stuff!

So considering that Sonic's colors haven't changed that much from his original blue, I tried to make a set of colors for our boi without going nuts with his orange. I did go a bit more intense than they were, but it's hard to just do different wristbands.

View attachment 161707

So:
  1. Default
  2. Green Chaos emeralds to go with Sonic's purple emerald recolor
  3. Purple fuzzy wristbands and a more purplish fur color to reference Blaze
  4. Vector's black wristbands and a darker, slightly greenish, color to go with it
  5. Blue glowy wristbands like Sonic's Crystal Ring one, but darker blue
  6. Gold rings and pinkish fur like Amy
  7. The red bands like the hands from the Sonic 2 Special Stage
  8. Sonic's Ark of the Cosmos bands, with a lighter fur like Silver.
I love these! #5 sort of reminds me of Ray with the color yellow used. and of course #7-8 are also really good.

EDIT: to further reference #5 as Ray, Ray's shoes are also blue. so it almost perfectly references Ray. though i know that wasn't your intention.:p

Last edited:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I say shadow will get in over tails simply because easy echo material that make a lot of sense, but I really hope he's in the game in some shape or form. I think if sonic gets another rep(which it should imo)-he'll be it.

Personally I could see his up throw being him flying in the air and air dropping the opponent. Or heck, I could see that as a special even.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
The Sonic series is like part of Nintendo the way how Sonic games sells well on Nintendo systems.
Sells well, yea I can agree with that. But the latest sonic games haven't been that good. The last GREAT sonic game, Sonic Generations, came out 7 years ago. Yes, most of the latest ones have a good soundtrack (One can even argue that Fist Bump won best song of 2017 along with Jump Up Super Star). But that really doesn't cut it to get an EXTRA fighter. But, yea, considering Sonic's history with Nintendo, I guess we can see Tails (although I would LOVE to see Silver) as a playable character. Oh wait, I forgot to consider Sonic Mania. Ok fine, maybe Tails as a new fighter and Mighty the Armadillo and Shadow the Hedgehog as a Sonic Echo and Ray the Flying Squirrel as Tail's Echo.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Oh wait, I forgot to consider Sonic Mania. Ok fine, maybe Tails as a new fighter and Mighty the Armadillo and Shadow the Hedgehog as a Sonic Echo and Ray the Flying Squirrel as Tail's Echo.
There has never been a modern design for Mighty and Ray (Though I believe at one point they were considered for Sonic Heroes, but probably never got far enough to even have concepts of modern designs for them). And their classic selves are too small to be echoes. (And even if size didn't matter for echoes, then Classic Sonic would probably be an echo instead)

Dan

Smash Lord
I just saw some guy who's supporting Tails as a Sonic Echo in his sig, and he isn't the first or only... can we just certify these people insane? Like how or why.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I just saw some guy who's supporting Tails as a Sonic Echo in his sig, and he isn't the first or only... can we just certify these people insane? Like how or why.
We have actually brought up at least the possibility that if Shadow's not Sonic's echo. Tails could, though it'd probably take alot more work then Chrom did echoing off Roy. Adding something like maybe Peach's float. Though I've played Brawl recently, and Pit's Up special kinda makes me wish he still had that. Because I think it'd work just about perfectly that if Tails HAD to be an echo of Sonic they could give him much of Sonic's moveset but give him Pit's Brawl Up special.

Granted, yes I would prefer Tails was unique/semi-cloned. But if he had to be an echo to get in. I'd take it. Just Shadow's a much easier choice for that. So we're still mainly in the mindset that we hope he's a package deal with an Echo Shadow whether we get a Sonic-themed trailer with them both or Tails comes later as DLC whether or not Shadow is in the base game (If DLC Character packs are a thing, Tails and Shadow could be packaged together then too)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Is two your max? Three, four, five?

Are their certain characters that will make you upset got in before others?
I would settle for 6, so that Blaze can be covered alongside Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Knuckles and Amy. She is an honorary Nintendo character, after all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, if it were up to me, Sonic would have 5 playable fighters. It would cover the main faces of the series, in order, would be Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Knuckles and Amy. I'd rather keep Shadow out, but if he must be in, he'd be number six after the other five are in.

Realistically, I would think to see three at most with Shadow as the easy clone and Tails as a mostly unique fighter.

Yeah, I believe that as well that we are getting both Tails and Shadow in the roster.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I just came to this thread to see how Tails could be an Echo of Sonic, but lol; anything can happen, but this talk of 5-6 Sonic characters is blowing my mind.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I just came to this thread to see how Tails could be an Echo of Sonic, but lol; anything can happen, but this talk of 5-6 Sonic characters is blowing my mind.
Those responding aren't actually thinking we could get that many. Hell, we worry enough there's not going to be enough space for another if Shadow's an echo. It was mostly a hypothetical question of what we would add of the Sonic cast if we were at full liberty to do so.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Those responding aren't actually thinking we could get that many. Hell, we worry enough there's not going to be enough space for another if Shadow's an echo. It was mostly a hypothetical question of what we would add of the Sonic cast if we were at full liberty to do so.
Exactly. I don't expect to see all that many ever making it in, but it is one of the biggest and greatly beloved game franchises of all time that, had it been first party, gotten the level of representation Pokemon or Zelda would get.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well this is very interesting, we got a song from Super Mario Bros

I can't say I was expecting this at all. The only way for Geno to be in now is if he either breaks the 1 song per franchise pattern, comes without his own song, or is listed as a new franchise. Once again, Sonic is a no show and the pattern continues. Survived another week.

These are the lists of series that haven't gotten a song on the website yet.
13 weeks left before release, 14 franchises remain.
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox
  • Bayonetta (No new songs listed)
  • Final Fantasy (No new songs listed)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Kart

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well this is very interesting, we got a song from Super Mario Bros

I can't say I was expecting this at all. The only way for Geno to be in now is if he either breaks the 1 song per franchise pattern, comes without his own song, or is listed as a new franchise. Once again, Sonic is a no show and the pattern continues. Survived another week.

These are the lists of series that haven't gotten a song on the website yet.
13 weeks left before release, 14 franchises remain.
  • Pokémon
  • Earthbound/Mother
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Pikmin
  • Punch-Out!!
  • Wii Fit
  • Xenoblade
  • Duck Hunt
  • Sonic
  • Pac-Man
  • Star Fox
  • Bayonetta (No new songs listed)
  • Final Fantasy (No new songs listed)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Kart
That's implying this music theory means something in regards to newcomers. There's still a couple hurdles for it to be completely correct and even if it is correct in the end, it may not end up favoring Tails. Would feel a little weird for music to be the big sign Geno isn't playable (Though I'm not entirely convinced yet he will be playable. Square still being quite stingy after all, but who knows)

They could just be doing different franchises each week as to show the wide variety of music across all the franchises. But I guess we'll see one way or another eventually.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
That's implying this music theory means something in regards to newcomers. There's still a couple hurdles for it to be completely correct and even if it is correct in the end, it may not end up favoring Tails. Would feel a little weird for music to be the big sign Geno isn't playable (Though I'm not entirely convinced yet he will be playable. Square still being quite stingy after all, but who knows)

They could just be doing different franchises each week as to show the wide variety of music across all the franchises. But I guess we'll see one way or another eventually.
Well, with newcomers, both Simon and K.Rool got new songs on the website. Ridley/Inkling don't really count since both of them were shown before the website was even put up. It feels as if when they show off a new character, their song gets put on the website that very day, for at least one of them that is.

Again, Geno has other ways of being playable because he might not even be apart of the Super Mario Music Franchise for all we know. Mario Kart has proved that you can still have "Mario" in it but not be from Super Mario Bros.

Even in Tails' case where if a Sonic song were to come on the website, it wouldn't be the end of the world because Tails could easily come with any of the pre-existing Sonic music. It's not like Sonic himself ever came with his personal theme songs.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I know Tails best from the earlier games like Sonic 2, and Sonic's current moveset derives mostly from those early games. All he'd need is different run animations, Peach's float, and then swap the up-throw for a new one.

I actually am really partial to Tails' ball form in Sonic 2 where he was just an orange ball with the static tails sticking out. It made me laugh.

Honestly though, I just want Tails in. I don't care if he's 38e or 68, but he deserves to finally be in. But yeah, not having any spin attack would be annoying.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sells well, yea I can agree with that. But the latest sonic games haven't been that good. The last GREAT sonic game, Sonic Generations, came out 7 years ago. Yes, most of the latest ones have a good soundtrack (One can even argue that Fist Bump won best song of 2017 along with Jump Up Super Star). But that really doesn't cut it to get an EXTRA fighter. But, yea, considering Sonic's history with Nintendo, I guess we can see Tails (although I would LOVE to see Silver) as a playable character. Oh wait, I forgot to consider Sonic Mania. Ok fine, maybe Tails as a new fighter and Mighty the Armadillo and Shadow the Hedgehog as a Sonic Echo and Ray the Flying Squirrel as Tail's Echo.
Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World are good and were well received.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic Colors was indeed well received, but that was before Sonic Generations. And Sonic Lost World was mixed. It got a 6/10
I loved Lost World. It felt like a great 3D rendering of the originals. The cut scenes were sorta lame but not near as bad as the ones in Sonic Adventure 2

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I loved Lost World. It felt like a great 3D rendering of the originals. The cut scenes were sorta lame but not near as bad as the ones in Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Lost World was waaaay too short for me. To be fair though, I only played the 3ds version so maybe its just me. XD

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm such a bad Sonic fan - I really don't know any of the modern games in the franchise at all...

But, I just got a thought about timing. We like to think that the project plan was developed around Nov 2015-Feb 2016. During that time, there really weren't any Sonic games released. The closest ones were Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal and Rise of Lyric (both Dec 2014) Lost World also rereleased on PC Nov 2015.

Tails was in each of those, but Shadow skipped Lost World. The WHZ stage in Ultimate is also Lost World...

I hope that we get some good news for our little fox. Personally I wouldn't mind if Tails is an echo or if we get a Shadow echo and a unique Tails, as long as Miles is finally in.

How awesome would it be if one of his images on the official site is basically the EGM hoax pic?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic Lost World was waaaay too short for me. To be fair though, I only played the 3ds version so maybe its just me. XD
I have only played the Wii U version lol. I have actually never owned a Nintendo Handheld system. That may change in a few days when I receive my Switch that I won on Ebay.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The Wii U (And well the Steam version now too) version of Sonic Lost World is much better then the 3DS one though. While I've never played the 3DS version, I've heard it gets preetttttyyyyyyy rough after Windy Hill.

The Wii U / Steam version isn't a perfect game still but for the most part they have some fun levels that are nice to go back to every now and then. And the free DLC that includes the Yoshi and Legend of Zelda levels were pretty nice. But those levels are going to remain exclusive to the version on the dead Wii U unless for some reason Sega decides to port Lost World to Switch for some reason.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
35 minute Nintendo direct tomorrow showcasing future 3ds and switch titles. Kind of a given that they'll probably show off a new smash character here.

For some reason I'm feeling really doubtful that it will be Tails tomorrow. If Tails/Shadow were to get a shared trailer like I've been expecting, Sakurai would need to explain things like he did for Castlevania after the trailer... and there just isn't the time for that in this direct. That leaves me kinda scared for this direct, if anything there are chances for Shadow to appear somewhere on his own as an echo and essentially deconfirm Tails.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm thinking it will most likely be a 1st Party Newcomer. Isaac, Skull Kid, whoever the heck the new Pokemon rep will be, etc. Maybe an echo or two but nonetheless still 1st party like Isabelle or Dixie Kong.

If there's more 3rd party echoes, I think they'll be saved for the next Smash direct

It's be awesome to get Tails considering my birthday will be only 3 days after which. But the world doesn't revolve around me so I wouldn't think so haha. But if it did happen it will certainly feel like it while celebrating.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
35 minute Nintendo direct tomorrow showcasing future 3ds and switch titles. Kind of a given that they'll probably show off a new smash character here.

For some reason I'm feeling really doubtful that it will be Tails tomorrow. If Tails/Shadow were to get a shared trailer like I've been expecting, Sakurai would need to explain things like he did for Castlevania after the trailer... and there just isn't the time for that in this direct. That leaves me kinda scared for this direct, if anything there are chances for Shadow to appear somewhere on his own as an echo and essentially deconfirm Tails.
where did you get that run time from? i assume one of the updates gave you and end time as well

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Any chance the two-tail fox will show up tomorrow?
I wish with all my heart.

I’m trying to keep my expectations below sea level, but Tails is the one character I think deserves Smash the most. But I don’t think things are looking good...

Still, I tend to be pessimistic, and I’ll never give up on Tails.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah he might just be a character that shows up at release. He isn't as hyped as Rayman or Skullkid, unfortunately.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Any chance the two-tail fox will show up tomorrow?
I'd love it, but for now I doubt it. Again I'm thinking if there's Smash reveals in this one it's all 1st Party whether it's just one newcomer or include one or two echoes. If Tails does happen I kinda expect it to be the Tails + Shadow joint reveal trailer that we think could happen. But again, I think it's more likely this leans toward a 1st party addition.

Yeah he might just be a character that shows up at release. He isn't as hyped as Rayman or Skullkid, unfortunately.
We're getting all characters announced before release. They're not keeping anybody hidden this time around. The next Smash Direct will likely reveal all that's left in the base game until DLC starts.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I hope he at least comes back as a costume lol. Improve the costume to include his actual face over the Mii as well.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Alright guys, in order to get Tails tomorrow, you need to boot up a copy of Melee and make 20 KO's in Cruel Melee mode. It's the only way to unlock him in this direct.

Chrono.

Yeah, I'd lower my expectations for Tails tomorrow. I think it's a 1st party's turn this time.

Rumors point to Skull Kid but we'll see.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If anything, it's hoping that Shadow doesn't show up tomorrow. I'll take no Tails tomorrow if it means no Shadow either. Cause if we get him then well damn our base campaign is basically over at that point.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If anything, it's hoping that Shadow doesn't show up tomorrow. I'll take no Tails tomorrow if it means no Shadow either. Cause if we get him then well damn our base campaign is basically over at that point.
It's not over until DLC ends.

Not gonna lie - Shadow is significanly more popular in the Sonic fandom and is a much easier echo. It'd be easier to throw him in at the last minute. Tails would probably need to have been planned from the start even if he were to be an echo since I don't think time has done him any favors.

Shadow won't excite me at all. But even if the edgehog is in, that doesn't spell complete doom for Tails. DLC is most likely happening, so we just need to drum up support so that he'll be a consideration for a later update.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's not over until DLC ends.

Not gonna lie - Shadow is significanly more popular in the Sonic fandom and is a much easier echo. It'd be easier to throw him in at the last minute. Tails would probably need to have been planned from the start even if he were to be an echo since I don't think time has done him any favors.

Shadow won't excite me at all. But even if the edgehog is in, that doesn't spell complete doom for Tails. DLC is most likely happening, so we just need to drum up support so that he'll be a consideration for a later update.
Well yeah, that's why I said base campaign. DLC is a battle I'm not worried about right now.

The only reason why I say Shadow being confirmed tomorrow without Tails basically deconfirms the Fox is because I highly doubt that they'd show Tails in his own trailer as a newcomer after Shadow has already been shown off. Tails being an echo has never been an option in my mind.

Top Bottom