• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I received an early copy of Super Smash Bros Wii U and want to help provide info for you all, AMA!

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
So a big worrying point about custom moves with the Wii U version is unlocking them. However, with the 3DS to Wii U connection, many of us thought we would have to send custom move card/templates for every character, which is still inconvenient.

Theres now a rumor that it's no longer necessary and that once you connect the 3DS to the Wii U, all custom moves that were unlocked on the 3DS version of the game get unlocked on the Wii U version, without having to go thru every individual character.

Can you confirm/deny this?

It's also worth testing that you don't need the 3DS to be connected at all times for the custom moves to stay right? as well as, do you need to have the same nintendo netowrk id on both consoles ot connect, or can any 3ds connect to any wii u?
any 3ds can connect, we had 3 connected during our 4v4 friendlies yesterday

Is Wario's glitched out vectoring still in the Wii U version?

Also could you upload some of Pit's codec call things (or if not what are some really funny ones that stick out to you)?
i tried it for about 10mins, dont think its in anymore
Can you tell us how responsive and fluid gameplay is with a Pro Controller conpared to a GameCube Controller?
pro controller feels pretty good, the positioning of the cstick takes some getting used to though, also the game sets your default controls as l/r to shield and zl/zr to grab so i presume people using the pro will swap that off the bat

Last edited:

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Can you tell us if Metroid crawls?
nope

Yo TO Joe! Might as well stack this with the other questions, but how does Smash feel when playing on something like a monitor or an HDTV if you've played it on one of those yet? Gaming monitors have less than a frame of lag, especially for HD consoles, and the best HDTVs usually sport 17/18ms response time which is averaging 1 frame of input lag (same as the gamepad).

And if you've played Smash for Wii U on a CRT, how's the aspect ratio for it? Does it get kinda warped when played on a tube TV? If so, I imagine that means we can finally make the jump to HD screens.
plays perfect on hdtvs, crt is ok but text is pretty hard to read, you can read character % just fine but things like in game tags i need to squint for, im currently playing on my crt as i type this

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
also to the guy asking about zooming in from the pause screen, its about the same as 3ds! not much zoom in/out room

if there were any non-unlockable questions i skipped then please remind me!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm going to repeat myself here:
Can you adjust My Music with the Wii U gamepad?
If it's part of the embargo, I apologize for asking.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
I'm going to repeat myself here:
Can you adjust My Music with the Wii U gamepad?
If it's part of the embargo, I apologize for asking.
im not sure if this answers your question, but a neat feature thats in is you can pick the music for each stage from the stage select menu, or set the 'rarely' to 'often' toggle for multiple songs if you want more than one, you can do this with any controller including the wii u pad

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
im not sure if this answers your question, but a neat feature thats in is you can pick the music for each stage from the stage select menu, or set the 'rarely' to 'often' toggle for multiple songs if you want more than one, you can do this with any controller including the wii u pad
Interesting, didn't know the stage select songs, I was merely asking about the bars that adjusts the My Music frequency and whether the Wii U gamepad's touchscreen can be used to adjust it. Thanks for replying.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Is it true that you can create ingame tags (above the characters' heads) up to 10 letters long now? And if not, what's the new limit.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Is wario's grab release in?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
so people can ask questions in the mean time?

going to get started on stuff now

I cannot discuss stages or trophies, the embargo ends once the game is released on the 21st, so if people are still really curious i'll go back and answer those questions now

a few quick things before i get started:
air dodge cancelling is still in(YAY)
there is 0 latency on 3ds to wii u controls(so if you prefer to play with the 3ds as your controller you are good to go)
Ah, well, at least I tried, thanks anyway!

And now, back to Paper Mario repping wondering...

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
So you can't answer music questions unless they're starting songs? Or is that exempt from the embargo? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I'm just curious. (and likely a bit too hopeful about masked dedede's theme)

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
When using Palutena's guidance on Palutena's Temple Pit has a different animation for this taunt. Is this consistent on other stages as well or is the new taunt just for that stage?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Is there significant or any difference (such as quality of the models) at all of the fighters when in Training Mode you use the speed "Hold 1/4th" like this is with the 3ds version?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Great to hear, TO Joe. I got myself a new Sony TV that even for Melee and Brawl that I don't feel input lag in game mode. If HDTVs feel perfect to you too, I'm all on board the hype train.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I heard that Yoshi tech is gone now. Anything else that went away along with it? Notably Wario Grab Release and Wectoring, Rush Cancel, Marth Counter Glitch and so on

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Is the camera control when viewing trophies messed up like in the 3DS version? Like when you try looking at the top or bottom of the trophy does it stupidly snap back to a front/side view or is it more fluid like other games?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
plays perfect on hdtvs, crt is ok but text is pretty hard to read, you can read character % just fine but things like in game tags i need to squint for, im currently playing on my crt as i type this
Kind of an "out there" question in regards to this, but is there any screen options to make the games' screens visuals look better on CRT's=???

In fact, how expansive are the overall screen quality options in the options menu=???

(sorry, probably not the question you were expecting but I'm just curious)

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
If u transfer a character from the 3ds to wii u, does it unlock that character if it wasn't unlocked already?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
what is the max number of letters for player tags?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Not sure if this was answered but how many Pokemon can be spawned at once? Training Mode is probably the ideal test. I hope it isn't 3...

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Spam Warning Received
Well all want to know what unlockable stages we don't know about yet.

Pls tell us and post pictures.

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
What is the 3DS like when you're using it in the game? What does it show on the screen? Can you still tap on the character icon to see the red box outline? Or are both screens completely blank?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
pro controller feels pretty good, the positioning of the cstick takes some getting used to though, also the game sets your default controls as l/r to shield and zl/zr to grab so i presume people using the pro will swap that off the bat
Awesome news, thanks. That means I can use a Pro Controller with no regrets. I was just worried it might not respond as well as other controllers. I'm looking forward to using it.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
So with the custom moves, can you transfer them over to a character if they are not unlocked yet in the Wii U? So for example, a 3DS Mario has Gust Cape, Big Fireball, and Scalding Flood but none of those moves have been unlocked on the Wii U yet... can we still use them by transferring? Same question for the Mii Fighters equipment. Thanks again for taking the time to stop and answer our questions :)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does the game remember the last palette swap you used?

And have you spotted Fountain of Dreams or C-R-O-W-N-E-D music?

Last edited:

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if you can customize the current 3ds controls even further in the wii U version. By further customization mean switching up the d pad from taunts to smash attacks.
Thanks for your time

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
also to the guy asking about zooming in from the pause screen, its about the same as 3ds! not much zoom in/out room

if there were any non-unlockable questions i skipped then please remind me!
Don't know if you already answered this, but here we go:
Can the Pikmin carry items to Olimar/Alph? The could in the Wii U E3 Demo, but not in the 3DS version :\

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well all want to know what unlockable stages we don't know about yet.

Pls tell us and post pictures.
To everyone here, please do not post questions asking about stages, songs, trophies, or unlockable content. Toronto Joe is unable to answer these sort of questions as it would break his Nintendo-enforced embargo and put him in a very bad legal situation. If you respect Joe, Smashboards, and yourself - please stop posting these sort of questions as it would not only put Toronoto Joe in a bad position but Smashboards as well. Keep the questions to more technical/game play/mechanics sort of questions. If Toronto Joe says he cannot answer that question, please do not press him for more info for you will get infracted

Thanks everyone. And a big thank you to Toronto Joe for providing Smashboards with this info :)

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Could you tell us about the Lylat cruise codecs please :) I need to know the fate of Wolf :D
I'd assume the codecs are left the same as they were in Brawl since they typically keep returning stages 100% true to themselves outside of retexturing.

Top Bottom