• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U I received an early copy of Super Smash Bros Wii U and want to help provide info for you all, AMA!

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
This one seems like it'd be a no-brainer for Nintendo, but I still have to ask.. Can we actually customize controllers as much as we could in brawl? Or are they limited to 1 block, 2 jump... and all that like the 3DS?

I'm still stuck with L as jump because of this silly choice in design, so I'm hoping it goes away in my Wii U.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Can Palutena still do this in the Wii-U Version?

You have to already be in the Lightweight state or the negative state it has.
Be standing on a platform.
Attempt to fall through the platform, I think this is the case.
Then really quickly, like you only have a couple of frames to do it I think, preform Lightweight while in the Lightweight state or negative state and she will preform the move again either resetting her time allowed to remain in Lightweight and putting her in the Lightweight state while still in the negative state.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I know this question may have an obvious answer but I will ask it anyway:

Is using the 3DS as a controller for Smash Wii U a better or worse alternative than a GameCube or Wii U Pro Controller?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
But the voice actors though.
If it says anything, Brawl's Corneria stage retained exact the codecs it had in Melee. If Lylat Cruise were to have its codec back, it'll be the same exact ones from Brawl.

Unfortunately 3DS did not for some reason, must be a hardware thing? (Dialog box taking up too much of the smaller resolution space perhaps?)

EDIT: wait why am I referring them as codecs?

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
In the e3 demo, Pikmin could carry items to Olimar but they can't in the 3ds version. Can they in the wii u version?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
@ Toronto Joe Toronto Joe can Greninja still Side-B right after landing his Dair on the ground? AKA canceling the Dair landing lag with side-b.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
so people can ask questions in the mean time?

going to get started on stuff now

I cannot discuss stages or trophies, the embargo ends once the game is released on the 21st, so if people are still really curious i'll go back and answer those questions now

a few quick things before i get started:
air dodge cancelling is still in(YAY)
there is 0 latency on 3ds to wii u controls(so if you prefer to play with the 3ds as your controller you are good to go)
Do Assist Trophies count as part of the embargo? If not, is Isaac an assist trophy?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
This one seems like it'd be a no-brainer for Nintendo, but I still have to ask.. Can we actually customize controllers as much as we could in brawl? Or are they limited to 1 block, 2 jump... and all that like the 3DS?

I'm still stuck with L as jump because of this silly choice in design, so I'm hoping it goes away in my Wii U.
This was confirmed in the 50 facts video, the controller settings mirror brawl's where you can assign any number of buttons to a command.
20:45 in the video if you want to see yourself.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
This was confirmed in the 50 facts video, the controller settings mirror brawl's where you can assign any number of buttons to a command.
20:45 in the video if you want to see yourself.
Thanks XD I made a noobish question, haha.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Brawl only had stats for the character like Link or Mario, they didn't keep stats for the name you put in like they did in Melee.
No, I'm fairly certain they did. I distinctly remember going and looking at the various playernames that have played on my wii throughout the years. iirc you have to pretty Y or X to switch over to it from characters

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
Well thats why I said it has an obvious answer. I wanted to hear from someone who has the game early.
I don't see why it would make a difference, the controls are just 3ds controls and he already confirmed that there was no latency.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
If it says anything, Brawl's Corneria stage retained exact the codecs it had in Melee. If Lylat Cruise were to have its codec back, it'll be the same exact ones from Brawl.

Unfortunately 3DS did not for some reason, must be a hardware thing? (Dialog box taking up too much of the smaller resolution space perhaps?)

EDIT: wait why am I referring them as codecs?
Sure but then you have to consider Orbital Gate and whatever goes on there. :)

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I don't see why it would make a difference, the controls are just 3ds controls and he already confirmed that there was no latency.
That's a relief. I really hated the latency and the ABYSMAL Circle Pad.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Sure but then you have to consider Orbital Gate and whatever goes on there. :)
I don't get quite what you mean. I'm just saying it's likely they retained all of the codecs (save the ones that came from Wolf in Brawl) for Lylat Cruise, not Orbital Gate. Kind of like how Corneria in Brawl retained its Melee codecs.

IIRC, Brawl's Wolf VA was credited somehow in Smash Bros 3DS, it could be probably referencing Lylat Cruise (despite being on Wii U instead of 3DS), so that might be a clue.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
I asked this many times, but I'll ask it again to make sure it doesn't get lost in the comments.

Is Rush Cancelling still in?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't get quite what you mean. I'm just saying it's likely they retained all of the codecs (save the ones that came from Wolf in Brawl) for Lylat Cruise, not Orbital Gate. Kind of like how Corneria in Brawl retained its Melee codecs.

IIRC, Brawl's Wolf VA was credited somehow in Smash Bros 3DS, it could be probably referencing Lylat Cruise (despite being on Wii U instead of 3DS), so that might be a clue.
Oh, my apologies, I thought you were making a case towards Orbital Gate Assault not showing new codec responses (yea I know it's not codec either but it's easier saying it this way). It appears instead that doodleduck meant lylat specifically. :p

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE tell me Toon Link still has his bomb cancel? Don't know if you know how to do it, try holding a bomb, dodging into the ground and doing down b to see if it cancels the landing lag please!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Are the codecs on Orbital Gate different if you trigger them with Fox or Falco? None of the codecs shown have been triggered with Fox or Falco. Are there any Wario land trophies, Advance Wars trophies,Geist trophies, and Eternal Darkness trophies? Do stickers come back or not (don't remember if they confirmed them or not)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I don't actually expect any of this to have changed, but
  • Can Luma still act while Rosalina is grabbed or in hitstun?
  • Do Meta Knight's hitboxes match the attack animations now?

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Brawl only had stats for the character like Link or Mario, they didn't keep stats for the name you put in like they did in Melee.
Totally false guy. Dig deeper into the Matrix. Brawl keeps very extensive stats on your name tags.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I know this question may have an obvious answer but I will ask it anyway:

Is using the 3DS as a controller for Smash Wii U a better or worse alternative than a GameCube or Wii U Pro Controller?
This is a subjective thing, don't ask that

c-1

Smash Cadet
This one isn't all technical like, but is the magma in the Stage Builder the same as the danger zones in great cave offense? Meaning touching it at 100% or higher mean you're ko'd?

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
does the controller adapter work with dolphin
On the 29th I can answer that. If people are willing to wait as I have dolphin set up now and I use a mayflash USB adapter for it.

This one isn't all technical like, but is the magma in the Stage Builder the same as the danger zones in great cave offense? Meaning touhing it at 100% or higher mean you're ko'd?
Please note the OP's words, I underlined the part that pertains to your question.

I cannot discuss stages or trophies, the embargo ends once the game is released on the 21st

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Please note the OP's words, I underlined the part that pertains to your question.
I'm pretty sure he can discuss aspects of stages we already know about. The embargo only seems to block the revealing of unlocked stages and whatnot.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure he can discuss aspects of stages we already know about. The embargo only seems to block the revealing of unlocked stages and whatnot.
You are making an assumption here. We both do not know if that is true or not. I said what I did because the OP said stages. And until he clarifies this, I take it as all stages. Another assumption I know, I could be wrong in it, but that's how I see it.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
You are making an assumption here. We both do not know if that is true or not. I said what I did because the OP said stages. And until he clarifies this, I take it as all stages. Another assumption I know, I could be wrong in it, but that's how I see it.
Then how about you let the OP answer? I'm not just making an assumption. I've watched dozens of Q&A videos where people talk about the embargo. They clearly state that Nintendo only forbids revealing of unlocked characters/stages. (They have random other restrictions like 120 minutes of footage and whatnot.) It would not make any sense for people to be allowed to clearly show the existing stages and how they function but not be able to talk about them. -_-

the8thark

Smash Lord
Then how about you let the OP answer? I'm not just making an assumption. I've watched dozens of Q&A videos where people talk about the embargo. They clearly state that Nintendo only forbids revealing of unlocked characters/stages. (They have random other restrictions like 120 minutes of footage and whatnot.) It would not make any sense for people to be allowed to clearly show the existing stages and how they function but not be able to talk about them. -_-
People break game NDAs all the time. I know personally of people who broke the Hyrule Warriors early copy NDAs but they didn't give a ****. Anyway I'll leave it up to the conscience of the OP. If the OP has any morals and is respectful and thankful for the early copy of SSB WiiU he will obey the NDA. If he does not care for all that he'll break the NDA. In the long run we'll all see it for ourselves on the 21st or 28th/29th. But it'll be on his conscience forever if he breaks the NDA.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what you said. It's all hearsay at the moment. I've heard a lot of people talk about the NDA's as well and have not mentioned the stage thing. Actually they were pretty light on facts about what was ok and not ok to talk about. But the OP knows and we'll leave it up to him to what he chooses, the right thing or not the right thing to do.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
So what exactly transfers over from the 3ds version? Do ALL of your custom characters, moves, miis and equipment transfer over?

Kaneco

Smash Rookie
My only question! Can we play Custom Stages online? At least with friends, like the Mii Fighter? =D

That is...if you can even access the online portion of the game before official release date! xD

Top Bottom