• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some fox help

Walgreens Pharmacist

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing with this fox lately and it's pretty evenly matched in the win loss ratio. The thing is though, I have no experience playing against good foxes, so I don't know how to go dealing damage safely at the beginning of a stock.

And in teams, what roll does Doc usually play? I have recently just started playing in them. I'm usually teamed with a Marth.

Any help please?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
space **** well, dont get hit. Seriously.

Like, dont go in with the notion of "I have to go in there and do something to rack up damage". You can always just go in there with taking potshots. Take your downsmash here. Few pills there. etc etc.

If you happen to land a grab. Jackpot.

---

Doc's "role" in teams.

Whatever in the **** you want it to be. Again, seriously.

There's nothing in teams doc cant do, it just come down to how you play and what not.

I personally like to tank because Im not so hot with my pressure, but I have pretty good DI and because my main strat of defense is movement, I dont tend to not get hit alot if things are going my way. On top of that, I personally love to help people because, inspite of what people thing, most characters have something they can do to somebody while you have them grabbed. Infact, I think the only person i've ever teamed with where we ran into "problems" was the times we teamed with Alpha Gundam, but we still came up with some pretty awesome **** (i.e. "The All-Out Alpha Assault")

But that's not to say you cant take point. You can go in and knock people around just the same, and you have viable quick, good moves to keep people off of you.

The one thing Doc is not good at in teams is the one thing most characters arent good at; handling 2v1s. But then again, the list of characters that really can handle that is small as ****.

____

*for the record, the All-Out Alpha Assault is this*
I go flying off the stage, cause well, Im doc. Alpha f.smashes somebody off the stage, cause he's awesome like that. As they're flying past me, i b.air them farther out.

Profit. :D

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Doc is great in 2v2 because he can take advantage of the poor attention people pay in teams. Dsmash comes out super fast, fair comes out of nowhere, and as long as there isn't a 4 man pileup people are easier to chaingrab/juggle because people DI worse in teams. Also, you can fly in with a cape to sweep up your teammate's edgeguard misses, which is probably why Marth is a great partner because he can work the edge so well while grounded. So, if you need an alternate mindset for teams, try to concentrate on gimps and edge pressure. Cosmo and I went doc+marth and got 7th at Event 52 just working the edge, and we beat out several teams made up of people who would likely both beat either of us 1v1.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*reads 18spikes post*

Lol, that was the big point i completely forgot to mention. "Best partner for doc."

Here's my 10 cents on that.

Tell your partner to pick their best character. Done. I personally am not one for the whole "best character for this person" thing, because if you play with somebody who plays a character good enough, the only thing that really happens is both of you have to put your strengths together and dont get *****. Now, there is an exception to that rule, but it doesnt apply to doc. (That exception being who teams good with jigglypuff, which would be almost anybody except yoshi).

I've teamed with plenty of characters and had success. Doc, Mario, Peach, Dk, Capfal, Ganon, Fox, Falco, ICs, Samus, Sheik, Y.Link, Jiggs, and Marth, those are all the characters i've teamed with for money (whether it be tourney or money matches).

I wouldnt even really say its a matter of "what's good for doc" as much as it is "What do you like teaming with", cause in all honesty, teaming with doc, mario, and samus have added up to some of the funniest **** ever.

___

Hell, for an extra point, if you havent done this yet, go out of your way to team with a good doc or mario. That **** is just too **** funny. "Say man, come take this chaingrab while i go edgeguard this guy. *Upthrow*" "Aight man *catch*"

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Haha, that's true, dual doc owns. In my experience my favorite partners are falcos and marths. I've had bad luck with Fox and Cfal. But, like dogy said, it's pretty subjective and mostly dependent on how your teammate plays.

(I still think doc should work the edge though! He gets away with playing like a ***** in teams)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
oh im not doubting that; i've honestly never thought about playing teams like that. I dont think too highly of my edgeguarding.

I will walk behind my partner all ****ing day though. :D

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
That reminds me, Dogy, ever since you started calling Falcon CapFal, people around my dorm have started calling Doc DocMar. And it's driving me crazy. I blame you.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
so... they've been saying docmar for years? XD Cause i've typed capfal for the longest.

The way i skim paragraphs and whatnot, falcon and falco looks the same to me sometimes. And then I see **** like "Man, that falcon's laser game is awesome" and im like "METAGAME ***** WHAT?"

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, in teams I just edgeguard, and get my partner out of combos. I also have the knack for pilling over my teammate, which is fun, and for d-airing my partner when he gets smashed off, saving him >.>

I'm much better in teams than in 1v1.

Edit: yeah, don't ever try and play doc with a definite plan-- against spacies, just remember that they should be dead every time you get them off the stage, and that if you get a grab, better maximize damage...

Desh

Smash Ace
lol wtf how didnt i see this thread.
fox is my favourite best match up =D
but i play it like a *****.

cc the nair if they try to nair shine, grab them/dsmash...do w.e.

i dont know how i do this, but i dsmash my way out of waveshines >_> ...
if i figure out myself how i do it i'll let u know.
but it saves me.

if they approach w/ dair and its obvious, wd back and fsmash

dair works well in certain situations, i dont think its very hard to figure out urself so i wont bother typing it out =p
just figure out its priority vs other chars, and what you can do from it..

when u cc anything, and get a grab, cg cg cg cg, then before they can jump out bthrow their *** off stage or fair them on small stages,

this doesnt work often because not everyone is horrible, but it'll work once or twice against any fox i've played.

at 0%
u throw > jab > regrab.
=/

u can do it until u can actually cg them if they dont learn from the first time.

but really its probably better to just cg normally at the right %'s.

if they camp you, just camp back. its honestly the smartest thing to do.

Desh

Smash Ace
i got it on m2k last weekend. lol.
twice i think O_o

edit: and on boss once.

and on spawn a bunch of times lol. =p

Desh

Smash Ace
lol regardless >_> .
i understand people sandbag =p
but
a. m2k is m2k , he COUNTERPICKED in friendlies >_>
b. just because you may not be playing your hardest doesnt mean you're gonna just let someone jab regrab you at 0 %

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i counterpick in friendlies.

Why not, it's not like you're going to sit there and play the CP stages all day anyway. Kinda helps to be able to play on them.

Desh

Smash Ace
i mean he counter picked chars DX
LOL
i pick falco so he goes marth
i go doc so he goes sheik
i go peach so he goes fox >_>

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hmm

Tidalwave +
= broken.

See what I did there?

____

Point of playing if not to win. Oh i dunno? For fun? To learn something? For ****s and giggles? I mean ****, just because it's a competitive game doesnt mean it has to be business suits 24/7

otg

Smash Master
i like dk vs falcon.
dk wins it imo.
especially on fd.
If knees were bananas, DK would love this matchup.
LOL. Agreed. DK doesn't have a legit chaingrab on Falcon... and Falcon can DJ out of most Cargo Uthrow-> uair chains, so DK's 'fantastic' 0-death CG on spacies doesn't really apply to Falcon.

On top of that, think about Falcon for a second. He LOVES space. The more space the better. Think about DK. Does he like Platforms? Yes he does. You see the problem here?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Eh. I dunno, I have a hard time being "not serious" in a match.

EDIT: Also, Falcon doesn't love space. If he did, he woulda been an astronaut, not a race car driver. Hur hur hur.

=/

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well I also try not being not seroius xD. I play as if I would play in a money match. :3

Sago

Smash Lord
actualy for awhile i mained sheik and would only switch doc against spacies so i might be able to help you out.
Escapeing SHBAWLD'ing back tword into an tilit or grab works absolute wonders but you cant use it to much or else they catch on. If you can land a grab you can upsmash and regrab to chaingrab..if your gay. Or do like a u air regrab uair dsmash edgeguard.
And if you grab them close to an edge at low percents you can do 1 of 2 things.
Bthrow->jump out nair, if they DJ into Illusion they'll get knocked down then just upb and it will pop them out farther and you'll recover. If its fox them just jump up and cape because he's at a great angle for that. Or you can up throw and hope they DI not at all or away from the stage and you can try for some crazy bair gimps :p Thank you 18spikes for the bthrow setup :)

Roman.

Smash Champion
Or you can up throw and hope they DI not at all or away from the stage and you can try for some crazy bair gimps :p Thank you 18spikes for the bthrow setup :)
honestly, 99.9% of smashers will either DI doc's uthrow or not DI it, nobody is going to slightly DI it especially going off the edge

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Those all sound like some pretty tight Fox tacs. I like.

When you were talking about the upsmash to regrab, what initial throw were you using to set up the upsmash? I'm assuming it's the usual dthrow at high % and upthrow at low? This sounds like one of my favorite anti-spacies combos evar... <3

And if this has ANYTHING to dowith 18spikes, I love it all the more.

Top Bottom