• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Zyliee

Smash Cadet
I already own a copy of it. Even "Odd One Out" is guilty pleasure. But on serious note, certain episodes are not that good.
Yeah, not all the episodes are good but it is a good watch and I also love "Odd One Out". It's the second most uncanon thing in Halo history

Right next to Halo 5 Guardians

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Something interesting I thought of. I'm predicting the next Smash fighter will in fact be revealed at the 2021 game awards in December. The funny thing to me is that it usually takes place at the MICROSOFT Theater in Los Angeles. So maybe that would be the perfect time to reveal Chief in Smash? At his home theater? Then he would be released later on like Sephiroth, along side with the release of Halo Infinite. The timing feels just right. Does anyone remember that leaked audio clip of Chief supposely in smash brothers? What if that was real? I heard it was leaked from King Zell. I mean that cortana voice impression sounds WAY TO CLOSE to the actual voice actress

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Something interesting I thought of. I'm predicting the next Smash fighter will in fact be revealed at the 2021 game awards in December. The funny thing to me is that it usually takes place at the MICROSOFT Theater in Los Angeles. So maybe that would be the perfect time to reveal Chief in Smash? At his home theater? Then he would be released later on like Sephiroth, along side with the release of Halo Infinite. The timing feels just right. Does anyone remember that leaked audio clip of Chief supposely in smash brothers? What if that was real? I heard its from King Zell from someone. mean that cortana voice impression sounds WAY TO CLOSE to the actual voice actress
Most took that voice clip as fake, though I don't remember actually seeing any proof other than some saying it didn't sound like Cortana. I could be wrong on that.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
also can someone elaborate on this. If this means anything? This was all the way back in 2018 but does it change anything?

screenshot.png

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Something interesting I thought of. I'm predicting the next Smash fighter will in fact be revealed at the 2021 game awards in December. The funny thing to me is that it usually takes place at the MICROSOFT Theater in Los Angeles. So maybe that would be the perfect time to reveal Chief in Smash? At his home theater? Then he would be released later on like Sephiroth, along side with the release of Halo Infinite. The timing feels just right. Does anyone remember that leaked audio clip of Chief supposely in smash brothers? What if that was real? I heard it was leaked from King Zell. I mean that cortana voice impression sounds WAY TO CLOSE to the actual voice actress
You really think we'll have to wait till december for the reveal? I'm expecting the last character to RELEASE sometime in late fall.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
also can someone elaborate on this. If this means anything? This was all the way back in 2018 but does it change anything?

View attachment 320117
General consensus is that statement is null for FP2.
Even if he knew Chief would be in the next pass, it was not determined during FP2.
He said that before FP2 was settled. So, he wouldn't be lying in this case technically.
"Master Chief is not in Smash DLC (as of FP1)."
And King Zell dropped hint on Halo around the time FP2 was finalized.

You really think we'll have to wait till december for the reveal? I'm expecting the last character to RELEASE sometime in late fall.
That's perfectly lined up with what Shpeshal Ed said.

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Even if he knew Chief would be in the next pass, it was not determined during FP2.
He said that before FP2 was settled. So, he wouldn't be lying in this case technically.
Yeah I wouldn't take anything said in 2018 as accurate for FP2.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Master Chief would be a great and deserving character for Smash but I’d be lying if I said he was my most wanted Microsoft character. My personal top two picks are the Battletoads and Fulgore. I definitely think Chief is more likely but I don’t think the Battletoads are totally out of the question either. RARE has a very important history with Nintendo and the Battletoads were their first breakout hit. That said, Chief would still be pretty cool and I wouldn’t complain if we got him instead.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think Master Chief would be a great and deserving character for Smash but I’d be lying if I said he was my most wanted Microsoft character. My personal top two picks are the Battletoads and Fulgore. I definitely think Chief is more likely but I don’t think the Battletoads are totally out of the question either. RARE has a very important history with Nintendo and the Battletoads were their first breakout hit. That said, Chief would still be pretty cool and I wouldn’t complain if we got him instead.
That's how I felt about Kazuya. My most wanted character from Bandai Namco is Agumon, but Tekken definitely deserves rep, so I am actually cool with him.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

That's perfectly lined up with what Shpeshal Ed said.
I figured they finalized the DLC roster from FP1 all the way to FP2 and already had the characters planned out

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
MC is just an interesting character because he's not my most wanted but I think he'd be the most exciting if that makes sense.
Because he's the Xbox mascot. Unlike Sonic, he is the mascot of still ongoing console. He's also still a massive gaming icon.
His playstyle/moveset would be hybrid zoner just like how Spartans are depicted in Halo. He would be very unique. That's another big reason I want him.

1624321361988.png

Remember when King Zell hinted Halo again at late 2019? He said this. Take away awards... VGA isn't different from E3. So, I guess he's right that both Microsoft and Nintendo aren't willing to reveal such megaton reveal at such events. They want to form their own joint event.
People say that this doesn't mean Chief in Smash. But, Halo Switch port pretty much means Chief in Smash. Phil Spencer went ahead and openly approved Banjo in Smash. I just can't see him avoiding doing the same for Chief. (Besides openly approving as he would want to keep that secret) If Switch port is planned, both sides must've taken Smash effect into account. I know Switch port doesn't equal immediate Smash inclusion, but for Halo, it's different story. It would be huge missed opportunity to promote the port with Smash. Nintendo would most likely want to promote Halo in Japan too.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
This is probably extremely wishful thinking, but have they specifically said that the 28th's presentation won't contain info on any additional fighters? Don't they usually issue some sort of disclaimer telling people not to get their hopes up for more?

Unless they wait till the day before to say stuff like that.

I'm just wondering when the final character will be revealed. I'm still estimating a late autumn release regardless of who it is, but I wonder when they'll be revealed.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This is probably extremely wishful thinking, but have they specifically said that the 28th's presentation won't contain info on any additional fighters? Don't they usually issue some sort of disclaimer telling people not to get their hopes up for more?

Unless they wait till the day before to say stuff like that.

I'm just wondering when the final character will be revealed. I'm still estimating a late autumn release regardless of who it is, but I wonder when they'll be revealed.
Yeah, they said there will be no information on Challenger Pack 11, which leads me to believe we'll probably see that in August if Kazuya is released the same day as the Presentation.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they said there will be no information on Challenger Pack 11, which leads me to believe we'll probably see that in August if Kazuya is released the same day as the Presentation.
Ah okay, yeah I wouldn't expect anything before August either.
Kind of unrelated to Chief, but do you guys think CP11 is going to be the end of the line for content updates to Ultimate? Do you think there's any chance of anything else? Stages, echoes, costumes, modes, etc?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Kind of unrelated to Chief, but do you guys think CP11 is going to be the end of the line for content updates to Ultimate? Do you think there's any chance of anything else? Stages, echoes, costumes, modes, etc?
I have a feeling it probably is the end of the line for Ultimate but I never say never.

Blue Mint

Smash Cadet
Hi! I'm new here! :)

I am completely sure that Master Chief Collection is 100% coming to Switch, it's too obvious, it was too rumored.

The thing is whether the CHARACTER will be in Smash or not....

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Where would chief be revealed? I personally wouldn't want it during a simple nintendo direct. A character like MC deserves to be revealed while the whole world is watching. Not just nintendo fans but all types of gamers. Maybe a microsoft and a nintendo event?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Where would chief be revealed? I personally wouldn't want it during a simple nintendo direct. A character like MC deserves to be revealed while the whole world is watching. Not just nintendo fans but all types of gamers. Maybe a microsoft and a nintendo event?
Keep in mind that they revealed Cloud in Nintendo Direct.

Still, I don't know what the insider meant by Microsoft x Nintendo at this fall. So, that's probably it.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I feel that would ruin the surprise though. Once you announce that, you are kinda of implying chief in smash. Unless it doesnt happen at all
Keep in mind that they revealed Cloud in Nintendo Direct.

Still, I don't know what the insider meant by Microsoft x Nintendo at this fall. So, that's probably it.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Steve was in a "simple direct" and he broke Twitter. If you're concerned not enough of the world watches these things, I guarantee there is.

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
Steve was in a "simple direct" and he broke Twitter. If you're concerned not enough of the world watches these things, I guarantee there is.
Yeah I think Chief would give the same treatment as they did with Steve. Just have him reveal on his special direct. And then a presentation a couple days after.

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman
That's a good question.

E3 was absolutely the best opportunity to reveal him which is one of the only things that still makes me doubt his inclusion. If he were the last character, even if he wasn't going to be released until December, I feel like it was a huge missed opportunity not to reveal him at E3. Maybe the trailer just wasn't finished.

Cloud and Steve were probably the most insane additions Smash has ever had and they weren't revealed during any special events.

There are also still rumors and hints of a Nintendo/Microsoft collaboration happening this autumn, which would also be a great time to announce him.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Master Chief's best place to be revealed was definitely E3. For the last pick of the pass now...hard to say whether to be optimistic about his chances or not

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief's best place to be revealed was definitely E3. For the last pick of the pass now...hard to say whether to be optimistic about his chances or not
Yeah that's how I feel too. Like if he's the last character, why not do a double reveal?

Unless there really is a big Microsoft Nintendo crossover event happening later in the year. That could possibly be a more appropriate place to reveal him.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I asked the question a while back about E3, and if Chief isn't revealed, what everyone's thoughts would be. It seems like him not showing up didn't hurt as much as I anticipated, but obviously it didn't help. It's going to be an interesting few months, for sure.

The last fighter revealed is usually met sadly overall. Sure, a fan base may like him/her, but it's the end and so many more feel like that character "stole their spot." I think Master Chief would be one that people may be fine with, seeing how big of a deal that it would be. Maybe?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
I asked the question a while back about E3, and if Chief isn't revealed, what everyone's thoughts would be. It seems like him not showing up didn't hurt as much as I anticipated, but obviously it didn't help. It's going to be an interesting few months, for sure.

The last fighter revealed is usually met sadly overall. Sure, a fan base may like him/her, but it's the end and so many more feel like that character "stole their spot." I think Master Chief would be one that people may be fine with, seeing how big of a deal that it would be. Maybe?
MC is a character that I feel like a majority of people would accept, even if he isn't one that they're personally hoping for. Someone with this much status in the gaming landscape would be a big deal and I think most people would agree that it'd be an insane way to end the game.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

i might be one of the only people who might technically get bothered by him being the last character. Chief being the final character makes sense sorta. but ending it off with him?, i somehow find it to be very souring, maybe it's because i wanted to see some more interesting characters i'd prefer who are already fighting for the last spot against chief.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief always striked me as a do or break when it came to E3, since he makes so much sense to be shown off there when you think about it.

His chances have certainly halved after the event, given that there is only one spot left and so many characters are still on the table.

Personally speaking I'd love to see him, even if he isn't one of my MWs.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It IS possible Chief WAS going to be the E3 reveal,

But was pushed back to the fall to promote Infinite, at Microsoft's request
Wasn't Joker moved to the front of pass 1, explaining why all they had was a cgi trailer? I don't 100% remember well.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
i might be one of the only people who might technically get bothered by him being the last character. Chief being the final character makes sense sorta. but ending it off with him?, i somehow find it to be very souring, maybe it's because i wanted to see some more interesting characters i'd prefer who are already fighting for the last spot against chief.
Ending with one of the biggest icons in gaming, and the mascot of a rival company would be a hell of a way to end the roster. A much better conclusion than Byleth, Bayonetta, or Corrin that's for sure.

Maybe it's just because I'm older and have been playing Smash since the N64, but I really think there couldn't possibly be a bigger way to end Ultimate than with MC.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You don't buy that he was leaking the BOTW Champions? If not, may I ask why?
Sorry that I forgot to answer this. I felt the messaging was vague.

This will be the last... I mean end of Ultimate roster. So, no matter who gets picked, there will be lots of salt. That's why I advocate Ultimate going live service or f2p with endless addition of characters... but that's not what Nintendo has in mind.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, a lot of character supporters/fanbases have already started to pack up and move on. Chief's is one of the only ones I see left standing atm under the current circumstances. But yeah, there will be some salt on the last character no matter who it is, just as it's always been.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Ending with one of the biggest icons in gaming, and the mascot of a rival company would be a hell of a way to end the roster. A much better conclusion than Byleth, Bayonetta, or Corrin that's for sure.

Maybe it's just because I'm older and have been playing Smash since the N64, but I really think there couldn't possibly be a bigger way to end Ultimate than with MC.
I've been playing since the launch of Smash on N64 as well, my man. I remember seeing the commercial and getting the cool packaging with Mario and Pikachu fighting one another! I was so hyped to have Mario, Fox, Link, and Pikachu together in a game. Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, and Pokemon were the biggest games at that time. Crazy cool. I was hyped for some Pikachu.

Yeah, definitely is reminiscent of the Sonic in Brawl days. Never felt possible until it happened. Broke this site as well as many others once it was found out. 10/10 is a great date(birthday hype).

To be fair, a lot of character supporters/fanbases have already started to pack up and move on. Chief's is one of the only ones I see left standing atm under the current circumstances. But yeah, there will be some salt on the last character no matter who it is, just as it's always been.
Yep, last is never looked at very fondly. Tough being that last character.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The only road bump so far is 343i community manager's tweet. There have been so many hints and rumors here and there that it's hard to ignore. I think that's why people still hold hope.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t think they’d make us wait until December after how quickly they banged out:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultkazuya:. My guess is September or October.

I think there’s a chance they can make some of the WOL exclusive stages playable, but besides that I don’t see much more happening.

One final effort…

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Double post
I don’t think they’d make us wait until December after how quickly they banged out:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultkazuya:. My guess is September or October.

I think there’s a chance they can make some of the WOL exclusive stages playable, but besides that I don’t see much more happening.

One final effort…

?
I mean it did take forever for steve. Maybe Chief is a character that requires a lot of time to work on?

I also feel like as of right now, Chief is actually the only one being supported by the most trustful leakers out there like Ver or king zell. I've seen lots of them leaking Chief but no other characters. Not sora, not crash or doom slayer. Chief coming to smash feels......... inevitable for some reason. That's why i'm holding strong on him.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Update from Vergeben

I cut ties with once of my oldest sources. Ever since last year and the state of the world with work at home orders and digital events, their information has gotten spottier and spottier.

There's a lot of things that I never shared with anyone the source that I have parted with had heard. Things that I vetted and got either nothing back or that it wasn't quite right or plain wrong.

It had become a game of me having to mentally decide if anything is at all worth talking about or not. Hence why you might have noticed why I wasn't sharing some crazy amount of information last year.

Yes they still were getting things right. But the percentage of things that were wrong were so much higher.

For example, the Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin information and Final Fantasy pixel remaster info came from them and neither were spot on since there was slightly incorrect information about both. I'm not sure if things were lost in translation or what, but I couldn't overlook that.

On the topic of Smash DLC, I reserve my right to not comment on that at the moment anyway. Clearly Master Chief was not the next character and it was Kazuya. The source that I split with was certain it was him after I checked with them who it was. I couldn't get back with my main source in time and they actually never wound up hearing who it was anyway. So I hedged my bets and lost. That's on me. I should have remained silent.

Me referencing and joking around with some commenter on here referencing lyrics from "We Are The Champions" was me having some fun tbh since it fit as a response after I got a rude comment and people were taking a GameXplain video as gospel that The Champions from BotW were next and I hadn't heard that whatsoever so I probably should have left well enough alone there but I did not and I know people took that the wrong way.

As for the Zelda post "Don't Tri too hard - Remember to celebrate" was referring to how there wasn't going to be crazy Zelda announcements in the Direct nor a lot of them. Those gifs of a chameleon and owl were referencing Breath of the Wild's sequel and Age of Calamity DLC.

Metroid 5 (Metroid Dread) was obviously revealed so I don't have to say much there. Looks cool and I talked about that years ago, even revealing that MercurySteam was doing it, so it was nice to finally see it revealed.

There is a new Donkey Kong game in development, but that obviously did not show up either. Amusingly we got some Super Monkey Ball though. lol

That's it from me for the moment about that. I just wanted to provide people with an update.

I've been dealing with some personal life stuff that happened prior to Nintendo's Direct during E3, and I didn't even know about what had happened until after it had already happened since real life had to take precedence.

After that it was dealing with mostly angry messages, a suicide hotline message (which I assume was trolling), supportive messages (thank you those that did even though I don't feel like I deserved them) and people wanting more information but there was so much to go through that I just haven't done it and couldn't find the energy to do it since it's easier to get straight to the point here.
Since then it has been on and off conversations with that source, figuring out why that happened and why they were cool with telling me to share information that was incorrect and them not really having a good answer for it.

So it's best to move on.

Have a nice day.
Some people will say he is trying to make excues for 4 champions stuff. It's not black and white to be honest from sound of him.

And he really meant Master Chief reveal during E3. I don't know whether his old source was a spy or bait. Oh well.
I bet on King Zell anyway. No offense to Verge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom